403 Comments
Posted by extragingerbrew

Great and informative Quick Look Patrick! Enjoyed your commentary and insight on the game.

Posted by FrenchFriedFool

Good on Patrick for coming into this quick look with multiple prepared saves, would love to see the other staff try and do that more often, shows some level of preparation.

But more to the point holy fuck those textures are bad.

Posted by sixpin

Game looks pretty good. Ryan's disinterest was apparent and kind of annoying. Patrick took too long explaining things, but with him and Ryan driving this QL that's to be expected (note that I was able to critique the QL without personally attacking Ryan or Patrick). Some people have weird opinions about this game, but whatever. This QL was fine and told me what I needed to know. I'll be picking this and X-COM up tomorrow.

All of that said, the comments in this thread have made it clear that this community can be extremely embarrassing to be a part of at times. There are some quality people here, but more often that not these comment sections are full of whining and personal attacks on the crew. It can be really uncomfortable to read.

Posted by Humanity

@Cazamalos: Most stealth games feature one hit kill combat. It's the essence of sneaking up on someone and getting rewarded with a surprise attack. If you mean the countering in head on combat then that is a nice option in case you don't care about getting detected in a level. In the past stealth games have conditioned us to load up a save mostly because the combat was so lackluster that shooting your way out of a situation was simply not an option.

Edited by Jimbo_N

Some kind of new record for time until gameplay in QL's? It must have been 6 or so minutes before Patrick actually did anything besides trying to explain the systems instead of showing them =/

This is a pretty rare phenomenon that has mostly been isolated to Brad Shoemaker so far. Would be kind of a bummer if it starts spreading throughout what is usually the best way to get a feel for a game in video form on the internet. I want to see stuff in a quick look, not listen to someone explain something while running around in a circle in a videogame. Thats why I dont read texts on the internet anymore.

I know this sounds awfully whiny but this QL in particular was really something else when it comes to getting things rolling =/ You know how much content one could consume in 6 minutes these days? =) And I'm even of an older generation at this point.

I dunno, I'm most likely overreacting but I guess its a somewhat recurring phenomenon overall that its worth touching on.

Posted by TrafalgarLaw

Patrick calling Metal Gear trial and error...?

Posted by glitznglam_style

It's so beautiful.

Posted by MonkeyKing1969

At first, I was worried I would be missing out on a good game because I wasn't going to buy it because Bethesda is publishing. I felt wrong buying a game I might like from unscrupulous thieves who publish their own broken games. But after seeing this QL I was relieved because this game is not for me, so I need not feel bad that I won't be buying it.

I have no beef with Arkane Studios, I just don't like this game, but at least now I don't have to put money in Bethesda's pockets or feel bad about not buying the game.

Posted by TomCostello

The field of view hurts my soul.

Posted by Branthog

@glitznglam_style: Really? It's so chunky and blocky. Even the cartoonish art style doesn't help cover it up. Some of the worst shadows I've ever seen. Holy crap.

@everyonelse: Patrick is fine. Haven't we moved on from whining about him after all this time?

Posted by TrafalgarLaw

@Jimbo_N said:

Some kind of new record for time until gameplay in QL's? It must have been 6 or so minutes before Patrick actually did anything besides trying to explain the systems instead of showing them =/

This is a pretty rare phenomenon that has mostly been isolated to Brad Shoemaker so far. Would be kind of a bummer if it starts spreading throughout what is usually the best way to get a feel for a game in video form on the internet. I want to see stuff in a quick look, not listen to someone explain something while running around in a circle in a videogame. Thats why I dont read texts on the internet anymore.

I know this sounds awfully whiny but this QL in particular was really something else when it comes to getting things rolling =/ You know how much content one could consume in 6 minutes these days? =) And I'm even of an older generation at this point.

I dunno, I'm most likely overreacting but I guess its a somewhat recurring phenomenon overall that its worth touching on.

It's Patrick's way of telling stuff. Way too descriptive and too many words that can be condensed into a single sentence. Instead of talking some 5 minutes about a game being supporting retrograde savefiles, he could have said; "The game has replayable missions so you can experiment different approaches."

His way of talking is too drawn out. Just condense into a few sentences and show more stuff. I guess that it is a side-effect of primarily being a writer for the site. Overly descriptive, not understanding that Deus ex is purposely different, calling Metal Gear Solid trial and error. I understand that this game is a culmination of different stealth and action games...but doesn't mean it's more fun or challenging to play.

Posted by killacam

you know you were born in the 90's when a game's graphics are your main concern.

Posted by DharmaBum

Can't wait to get my hands on this.

Posted by Rolyatkcinmai

@MrMazz said:

So I spent about 5 minutes looking for this, this morning forgot it said 9 PM not AM

Are there a lot of game embargoes expiring at noon eastern? lol

Posted by Lurkero

@killacam said:

you know you were born in the 90's when a game's graphics are your main concern.

These kids don't know how good they have it. I can still have fun playing Super Nintendo and Playstation games but nowadays people complain if a shadow doesn't look realistic enough. There was a time when games were fun and we didn't even have shadows!

Posted by buzz_killington

Not since Bioshock has a first-person game made me feel so much like I was 2-feet tall.

Posted by lordofultima

@Branthog: Looks amazing. You sound jaded as fuck.

Edited by CraftySkills

@Lurkero said:

@killacam said:

These kids don't know how good they have it. I can still have fun playing Super Nintendo and Playstation games but nowadays people complain if a shadow doesn't look realistic enough. There was a time when games were fun and we didn't even have shadows!

man these statements always make me wonder if these people were actually around playing games back then, or if they were too young at the time to notice. Graphics were more important back then they are now. Are you forgetting sega's entire advertising campaign? Or jaguars "do the math?" And a game's visuals are an important aspect of the experience. Games like ICO or Shadow of the Colossus wouldn't have been as remarkable as they were without a striking art style and strong sense of atmosphere. Now I can't wait to play Dishonered but the cartoony look and plastic character models are definitely off putting to the tone and the world there trying to convey; it's a legitimate criticism.

Edited by Hef

@Branthog: They're also showing it on consoles, where all the bells and whistles are always shit.

Posted by Lurkero

@CraftySkills said:

@Lurkero said:

@killacam said:

man these statements always make me wonder if these people were actually around playing games back then. Graphics were more important back then they are now. Are you forgetting sega's entire advertising campaign? Or jaguars "do the math"? And a game's visuals are an important aspect of the experience. Games like ICO or Shadow of the Colossus wouldn't have been as remarkable as they were without a striking art style and strong sense of atmosphere. Now I can't wait to play Dishonered but the cartoony look and plastic character models are definitely off putting to the tone and the world there trying to convey; it's a legitimate criticism.

You're taking away the wrong message. I didn't say graphics were never important until now. I am trying to say that modern games represent realism good enough. Some people complain about the smallest graphical blemishes and claim that a game is unplayable because of that.

If any small graphical blemish makes today's games unplayable I don't know how we ever survived with the pixels and blocky polygons on older systems.

Posted by neoepoch
@CraftySkills said:

@Lurkero said:

@killacam said:

man these statements always make me wonder if these people were actually around playing games back then, or if they were too young at the time to notice. Graphics were more important back then they are now. Are you forgetting sega's entire advertising campaign? Or jaguars "do the math?" And a game's visuals are an important aspect of the experience. Games like ICO or Shadow of the Colossus wouldn't have been as remarkable as they were without a striking art style and strong sense of atmosphere. Now I can't wait to play Dishonered but the cartoony look and plastic character models are definitely off putting to the tone and the world there trying to convey; it's a legitimate criticism.

If you are using Sega's and Atari Jaguar's marketing campaign as a way to bolster your argument, you might as well stop. Seeing how both companies FAILED MISERABLY when it came to console sales. Graphics are a nice aspect when it comes to a game, but it isn't the be all end all.
Posted by Deathpooky

The jump looks better than other first person games, but still looks pretty awkward. As much as Patrick was defending it, at least half the time the teleport didn't work right and looked super frustrating to use, even for basic tasks. When you pull it off, it's great, but when it takes three teleports to climb up to a platform above you and wastes magic in the process?

A couple times in particular it even looked like he had the proper "up arrow" but still didn't get teleported up correctly, or got teleported up and promptly fell back down.

Posted by killacam

@Lurkero said:

@CraftySkills said:

@Lurkero said:

@killacam said:

man these statements always make me wonder if these people were actually around playing games back then. Graphics were more important back then they are now. Are you forgetting sega's entire advertising campaign? Or jaguars "do the math"? And a game's visuals are an important aspect of the experience. Games like ICO or Shadow of the Colossus wouldn't have been as remarkable as they were without a striking art style and strong sense of atmosphere. Now I can't wait to play Dishonered but the cartoony look and plastic character models are definitely off putting to the tone and the world there trying to convey; it's a legitimate criticism.

You're taking away the wrong message. I didn't say graphics were never important until now. I am trying to say that modern games represent realism good enough. Some people complain about the smallest graphical blemishes and claim that a game is unplayable because of that.

If any small graphical blemish makes today's games unplayable I don't know how we ever survived with the pixels and blocky polygons on older systems.

exactly. it's the difference between micro and macro; a game's art style is pivotal to the experience, but the textures on a corner of a wall just really don't (shouldn't?) make or break a game.

Posted by MeatSim

I like what I see. This seems to do away with the problems I had with Deus Ex.

Posted by ICantBeStopped

@LarryDavis: I played TF2 on PS3 for three years. Nowadays, I play on PC with a 360 controller, and do pretty well (for pub games) and the medics are none the wiser. I don't tell them, of course, because of the anti-controller stigma and all, and fully acknowledge the mouse is superior for precise aim, but there's an important reason I still use the controller -- because eh. I love my PC, but I'm totally plugging it into my TV and playing on a comfortable piece of furniture if the game supports it. Controllers are just to convenient.

Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum

Patrick did a really good job showing off this game I feel.

Posted by CraftySkills

@killacam said:

@Lurkero said:

@CraftySkills said:

@Lurkero said:

@killacam said:

exactly. it's the difference between micro and macro; a game's art style is pivotal to the experience, but the textures on a corner of a wall just really don't (shouldn't?) make or break a game.

that's fair and I agree to an extent. Bad textures don't really bother me, but if a game has really bad aliasing or really poor image quality then that to me is a big problem. I'll take good image quality and 4x anti aliasing over polygons and shaders any day, but to other people they don't even notice jaggies so it's not a big deal. Different aspects are just more important to some people. Your small blemish could be a big problem to someone else and if it bothers them to the point of not wanting to play the game then so be it. I know I couldn't play more than a couple of hours of Resistance 3 because of the abysmal image quality preventing me from actually seeing what the fuck was happening.

Posted by PoisonJam7

Glad I watched this before Tuesday. I think I'll hold off on buying this for a bit. It looks okay, but I'll be far too busy with X-COM to give this game any attention.

Posted by blacklab

Looks amazing.

Posted by RobertOrri

I don't think I heard Patrick mention Thief even once in this quick look. The game originally started out a lot like Thief, and even though it has changed significantly from those early ideas, it still retains the freedom and mission structure that's kinda similar to those games.

Arkane even hired a couple of great Thief fan-mission creators to serve as level designers for Dishonored...

At least one thing is certain: Eidos Montreal have their work cut out for them.

Posted by The_Vein

I can't get excited about this game. It looks like some messy mixture of Half-Life 2, Bioshock, and Arcanum. Maybe I'm wrong about it and it'll turn out to be the best game ever made--but it looks awfully mediocre to me. I'll put my money on X-Com this month for sure.

Posted by SqueakyShoeNinja

Any one know what the yell in the background end was? 41:35. Is Brad still playing RE6?

Posted by smokyexe

I don't see it. Not sure if that game is mediocre or just Patrick and the not at all interested Ryan are the problem of this QL/game for me.

Also, Bioshock 1 looks better then this. Please if you can stick to PC versions i mean damn this looks bad.

Posted by RenMcKormack

Seems cool. I like the magic angle as a change of pace from the tech/hacker Deus Ex stuff.

Posted by Lake

Nightcrawler: The Game

Posted by paulunga

"Well, you equip this heart..." WOAH THERE! What? Could you please explain what the deal with that pulsating heart you hold in your hand is?

Posted by Franstone

@Malarkain said:

"chasm"

Chazim?

; )

Posted by Franstone

@murisan said:

Uh, can you comment on the PC version, GB crew? Are the shadows any better/different? The shadows from Old Granny were.. just don't do shadows, if they're going to look like that.

Yeaaa that's a console only downside I'm sure, I bet the PC version handles that much better but I haven't seen it yet.

Posted by csl316

Hmm... Looks quite good. I wasn't considering a purchase but now I just might think about it.

Posted by Bombzinski

Why the hell are the water streaks running across the screen? Is the dishonoured guy wearing a Victorian diving suit? Come on, developers, give it a rest. Samus and The Bioshock 2 protagonist were the only cases where this shit made any sense.

Posted by Rapid

Tesla coils I'm in!

Posted by Flacracker

What are "these types of games" that Patrick keeps mentioning? The only one I can think of is Deus Ex.

Edited by deerokus

Patrick pronounces 'chasms' hilariously. It should be 'kazem', not 'chazum'!

Game should be awesome, I think I'll wait a wee bit though.

Posted by mbdoeden

Looks pretty cool...but seems like it begs to be experienced on the PC. Thanks for showing it Patrick.

Posted by smokyexe

Get Xcom and wait till Chrismas sale on Steam when this is gonna be like 50-70% off.

Posted by The_Moose
@Flacracker:  maybe Singularity and Syndicate.
Edited by spiceninja

Accused of murder so to prove his innocence he's going to murder the shit out of everyone.

Edited by gbrading

Hmm, never heard chasms pronounced "cha-zams". Sometimes the 'h' is silent, Scoops. Shazam.

*Pulls out disgusting mechanical heart* "Well, you're equipping this heart and tracking them down." Ryan doesn't ask anything about the heart.

Now I've heard this game is Deus Ex-esque, I am considerably more interested in playing it.

Posted by Dan_CiTi
@DexterKid said:

@DeF said:

Dishonored, Hitman and ZombiU are easily my most anticipated trio this Holiday season. And I really hope Dishonored gets recognition for how gorgeous it is. That painterly art style is just a stroke of genius!

@DexterKid said:

He sure does say ''those games'' a lot. Which games is he referring to I wonder.

To me this looks a lot like Bioshock.

He says what games he's referring to. Those of the Deus Ex-inspired ilk. The "approach a scenario the way you want to"/stealth-focused games.

Well Deus Ex isn't a huge genre of game, there are really a handful of games with those specific mechanics and that's about it. Any related games are so loosely related that I don't think it makes sense to group them all together as ''those games''.

And anyway this game doesn't seem all that Deus Ex to me; i.e it doesn't have a lot of talking, hacking things, and methodical gameplay. This game seems a lot more like Bioshock, which is basically a FPS with some extra shenanigans.

Deus Ex is an FPS with shenanigans. System Shock 2, not so much. SS2 is in the genre of "well you're fucked kind of game". 
Posted by Sveppi

"This is a really good that type of game" - Patrick Klepek, Giant Bomb