403 Comments
Posted by Bombzinski

@Flacracker said:

What are "these types of games" that Patrick keeps mentioning? The only one I can think of is Deus Ex.

I'm guessing, Thief games mostly?

You know, THESE types of games

Posted by Christoffer

Looks ok but nothing really hooks me on this one. Guess I'll wait until it hits the steam sales.

Posted by Wandering_Idiot

@Flacracker said:

What are "these types of games" that Patrick keeps mentioning? The only one I can think of is Deus Ex.

Deus Ex, System Shock, Bioshock, Theif to a lesser extent.

Posted by homewrecker

Patrick "let's explain" Klepek

Posted by Dan_CiTi

I hope it has some kind of New Game Plus, even if they add it in a patch like with BioShock. 

Posted by WilliamHenry

How does he get through this entire quicklook without mentioning Bioshock? It reminds me of that way more than it does of Deus Ex.

Posted by Roboculus92

I'm with Patrick on that pronunciation of 'chasm because screw this silent h shit. In fact, why don't we just change the spelling to 'kazaam while we're at it. Sounds better if you ask me.

Posted by GiantAlston

I can't wait to check this game out!

Edited by ChosenOne

@WilliamHenry:

He does early on when talking about a guy who did some art for both games.

Posted by End_Boss

That's "chasms" with a hard C, silent H, Patrick. Just so ya know.

Edited by rolanthas

@Flacracker: Looking Glass Studios catalog ( Thiefs, System Shocks etc), if he meant FPS's with multiple level paths etc.

Edited by jakonovski

I'm pumped for this game but what a boring quick look.

Posted by Murdoc_

Yes Patrick, they needed a trans dimensional god to make it believable that ape people in a steampunk city 17 would have magic...

Posted by dropabombonit

Game seems dope but going to have to wait until Christmas to play it

Posted by ZHabermann

Seriously stop with this "Metal Gear" is trial and error bullshit. The Alert, Caution and Clear system is the basic way gameplay loop works, you know that thing all modern games use in their scenario design.

Assassin's Creed would make a better example honestly.

Posted by generalen

My mind has been blown. Not because of the game, nor because of the quick-look, but because of this thread. See, English isn't my first language, but I've been using it for quite some time now, and until now, after looking it up, I did not know that "chasm" was supposed to be pronounced with a "K"-sound. The things you learn!

Posted by Napalm

Man, that body-tossing animation is hilarious. He just palms their side and just chucks them. Heave ho!

Posted by Itwastuesday

Is this game as easy as the quick look makes it look?

Posted by bloodsoul5

ryan + patrick = boring quicklook. Should have got jeff to sit in with you scoops.

Posted by steelerzfan101

These kind of games are always very cool! I like the interactivity of the environment around you. The sneaking stuff looks pretty nice too!

Posted by super2j

NIGHTCRAWLER THE VIDEO GAME!!!!!

Posted by cashbasket

Stoked for this game. Even more stoked for this comments section.

Posted by skunkdragon

Why use all those powers it seems one hit from a knife takes out a bad guy!! Also sitting watching an easter egg hunt is not an adequate quick look.

Posted by chose

The game is too bright, not the art style, but the actual ambient lightning. It's hard to convey a sense of stealth when it's not even remotely dark outside.

Posted by TheOlder

Patrick Klepek has the unique ability to ruin any quick look.

Posted by BenderUnit22

You know what, guys, I can't FRIGGIN' wait for Thief 4

Posted by Tennmuerti

@Bombzinski said:

Why the hell are the water streaks running across the screen? Is the dishonoured guy wearing a Victorian diving suit? Come on, developers, give it a rest. Samus and The Bioshock 2 protagonist were the only cases where this shit made any sense.

He is actually wearing a mask with glass optics on it.

Posted by hookem1883

This looks great. I don't get the Deus Ex references, but it is very similar to Bioshock.

Posted by ManiacMaysin

Informative quick look! Thanks!

Posted by NovaDTH

I can't put my finger on it but for some reason this just doesn't seem appealing to me. I was certainly interested in it when I first heard about it though.

Posted by MrBubbles

when he explained the slow time thing i all of the sudden couldn't wait for my game to come tomorrow

Posted by Ramone

Patrick, I love you bro, but please stop calling Metal Gear "Trial and error" or I might be forced to murder you.

Also the game looks pretty good.

Posted by benspyda

This has got to be the worst Giant Bomb quicklook for a really cool game in a long time.

Patrick - "You can freeze time, possess the guy and kill him with his own bullet."

Ryan - "... ( Sorry I'm too busy not giving a shit over here )"

Although I'd say Ryan was just tired from that sim golf game and didn't really feel up to doing the QL.

Posted by Xeirus

@benspyda said:

This has got to be the worst Giant Bomb quicklook for a really cool game in a long time.

Patrick - "You can freeze time, possess the guy and kill him with his own bullet."

Although I'd say Ryan was just tired from that sim golf game and didn't really feel up to doing the QL.

I feel like you give this game way too much credit, it's nothing more than another Deus Ex, /yawn

Posted by dragonzord

@Xeirus said:

@benspyda said:

I feel like you give this game way too much credit, it's nothing more than another Deus Ex, /yawn

I feel like you don't know what you're saying. Another Deus Ex? Because there's so many.

Edited by MjHealy

Staring at an online pre-order screen right now. I'm just waiting to hit CONFIRM

EDIT: Ahh, there we go. No Quick Look for me then.

Posted by Stubee

Did Patrick just pronounce chasm as chaz-em? Wtf?!

Posted by Goblin

Well, this was mind-numbingly boring... I usually don't quit videos halfway through, but with Diamond Trust this makes two in one week's time.

Because there's been so many good developer walkthrough videos of this game, Patrick and Ryan's "stay in the same place to describe things that are either already known, or will be made obvious by a minute of gameplay"-style of quick looking was even duller than usual.

Game looks dope though.

Posted by SeanNaess

CHA-CHA-CHA-CHAZEMS.

Edited by SwaBxTHExDeck

The stealth aspect in the game doesn't seem fully there. All I'm seeing is pa trick crouching around with no visual representation if he has been seen/hidden. Game seems really easy as well, did you see how those guy just ignored Patrick and went straight for the rats.

Posted by LarryDavis

I didn't know that. He probably should have reviewed it on PC then. Especially since he interviewed them at E3 and they made a point that the PC interface would be a lot better for quickly changing powers and such. There's nothing wrong with using a controller in and of itself, but I think in something like this, hotkeys would be far preferable to RADIAL MENUUUUUU, especially since, clicking around the vid at random points, he spent a lot of time going to that menu.

That's fine, dude, I'm not anti-gamepad or anything. I prefer mouse/keyboard for FPS/strategy, comtrolors for action games and stuff. My friend is a militant PC Elitist and for some reason he uses controllers for everything.

Posted by Alphazero

ka-zum.

Game looks awesome.

Posted by chrispti

Seeing a lot of Bioshock in this so I ordered it on Amazon. I s-ranked Bioshock so quickly.

Posted by PassiveKaerenai

Maybe Giant Bomb should get a female staff member to manage the multitasking nightmare of playing and talking at the same time. I'll just be here reinforcing gender stereotypes until that happens.

Posted by deerokus

@NovaDTH said:

I can't put my finger on it but for some reason this just doesn't seem appealing to me. I was certainly interested in it when I first heard about it though.

The quick look is oddly boring for a game which is very interesting (and which Patrick clearly really likes). Gives a poor impression unfortunately.

Posted by Sweetz

@altairre said:

@Humanity said:

@atomic_dumpling said:

@thebatmobile said:

@MegaMagick said:

Meh, there should never be a QL w/o at least Jeff or Brad on it.

More like: don't have Patrick on the quick looks. I really like his writing, but man, he's hard to listen to.

Meanwhile at the review, some people are hating on his writing style. I feel sorry for the guy, he is diligent and passionate about video games (probably the only main staff member at this point).

Not denying or confirming but sometimes people are just not cut out for something no matter how passionate they are about it.

Or maybe the people who like what he is doing aren't as vocal about it.

Yes. I like Patrick's content.

It's the same bullshit you see on video game forums. Complaints vastly outnumber compliments, even for excellent games. If people don't like something they think the whole worlds needs to know their opinion about it, but if they're content with something they're not as compelled to say so.

Whiners - understand that your opinion isn't the "right" one because there is no such thing; also realize that a couple dozen or even a couple hundred of you doesn't represent a majority of Giant Bomb's readership.

Posted by doe3879

I think Patrick need to stop trying to explain everything mechanics within the game at the beginning of quick looks. It would be better to just play the game for maybe 5 or 10 minutes first then go into detail of the mechanic of what he was doing. That would make the beginning of his quick looks far less boring.

Posted by Rebellion91

Don't listen to them, I <3 you Patrick! Opinions are opinions, even though people have some bad one's about people, you have to respect them. Freedom of speech works both ways, not just when you want to get your way!

Posted by HerbieBug

@Duffyside said:

Batrick, I say this thinking you've been a pretty good addition to Giant Bomb, and knowing that you take criticism extremely well -- maybe even better than anyone else in the games press:

You have to play the game in your Quick Looks. Please. It was like 8 minutes in before you even did anything in this. Talk about playing the game at E3, its development history, your personal relationships/interviews, whatever, all needs to happen naturally as you're just playing the game to 1) Have fun, 2) Show what the game is, and 3) Have fun.

Let the conversation happen organically, man. Looking at menus or the environment while you talk just isn't working for me. Good podcast material, not so much for Quick Looks.

Agreed on that. For example, I didn't need the preamble to showing the blink mechanic. Just go ahead and blink then say, "that's the blink mechanic, it's a short range teleport" and you're done. We get it. You're not PR for the game, lengthy explanations not required.

Posted by HerbieBug

Graphics in this game are oddly bland. Not much in the way of shadows and contrast.