131 Comments
  • 131 results
Posted by OllyOxenFree

Posted by Brodehouse

I'd be more bummed about the push on South Park if it wasn't for Project Eternity.

Posted by Phished0ne

I totally missed Company of Heros and was hoping to pick up the sequel when it came out. I hope THQ finds a way to stay solvent long enough to release the few precious games on their list. Although things arent looking good =\

Posted by vincent_stocchetti

If THQ goes south, I hope games like CoH2, Metro, and South Park can all find new publishers.

Posted by JoeGuy

Sounds a bit like Metro had its MP cut because the team was being cut or downsized and it saved them money as apposed to it being solely for the SP's benefit. I won't be risking a pre-order anyway. These games need decent reviews for me to feel safe buying them now for sure.

Posted by big_jon

Ouch, three good games right there too...

Posted by Montyboggs

The fates will make certain that no good "South Park" game will ever exist. Through ANY means necessary. Bad news all around.

Posted by Bucketdeth

It really is disappointing to hear news like this, THQ are a breathe of fresh air in a condensed and mostly bland market. I picked up Darksiders 2 and while it wasn't as good as Darksiders 1, it was still a fresh experience.

Posted by HatKing

Dude, I'll buy all the THQ games that even remotely interest me, just to try to help keep the company afloat. That includes the rerelease of Saints Row The Third tomorrow.

Posted by Talis12

THQ makes solid games.. wtf happened?

Posted by mnzy

@Phished0ne said:

I totally missed Company of Heros and was hoping to pick up the sequel when it came out. I hope THQ finds a way to stay solvent long enough to release the few precious games on their list. Although things arent looking good =\

You should get it on Steam. It's cheap and still holds up well. I just played it and I think it looks better than XCOM, which just came out.

Posted by Swick

Something not mentioned here, they're also making Homefront 2. Stop making games I don't want and delaying the ones I do!

Edited by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

@Talis12 said:

Not enough people buying em- that simple.

Even if this isn't the end of THQ, unless there's a quick sudden turn in fortune it's pretty much guaranteed to be the end for the Darksiders franchise. THQ openly stated the game needed to sell over 2 million to break even, and they would only openly consider Darksiders 3 if it made it past 3-4 million.

Last I checked, Darksiders 2 has sold over 1 million- but is probably not going to break 2 million fast enough. (It wasn't a complete flop, but it wasn't the success THQ was banking on)

Though who knows- maybe holiday sales will somehow save em. (Probably not :\ )

Posted by BeachThunder

@Andy_117 said:

I suggest Kickstarter, THQ. Err'ones doin' it!

Well, you know, instead of a Kickstarter, how about people go and buy a copy of Darksiders 2, it's a pretty good game :o

Posted by sledge89

Sad to hear their not doing well, but from what I'm hearing WWE13 is selling really really well. So maybe that'll help.

Posted by Raven10

So sad. THQ had really turned themselves around as far as quality goes in the past couple of years. They suffer though from making quite a few good games but very few really great games. It's like they have several 4 star series but they really could use that 5 star series. I guess South Park is probably their best bet right now. Hope that and Company of Heroes 2 do well enough to keep them afloat. I'm most excited for Metro Last Light but I doubt that will make much of a dent sales wise. I'm also a bit excited for Homefront 2 now that Crytek is developing it. Should at least be less buggy and look better. And if they manage to offer the depth that Crysis has but with the more interesting premise from Homefront then I could see it being pretty good. There have already been too many casualties of THQ's financial downfall. Hopefully there won't be any more and one of these games will be successful enough to turn them around.

Posted by Little_Socrates

THQ has been releasing a ridiculous number of games I enjoyed for a few years now. It sucks to see them on the way out. Though, hey, it sounded like there wouldn't even be a THQ in 2013 earlier this year. Here's hoping the developers find new homes shortly after it all goes down.

Posted by FCDRandy

Has any DLC come out for Darksiders 2 yet? I'm pretty sure I bought the season pass for it, but haven't seen anything yet.

Posted by PanburgerPartner

Arrgh! Do not mess with my Metro release!!!

Posted by DrDarkStryfe

Everything is pointing to THQ attempting to go private. Today's conference call was less than 20 minutes, and they did not take any investor calls. The company that they are talking to, Centerview Partners, is a private equity brokerage.

Edited by ArcHTecHGuY79

i don't get the statement could someone explain. will these 3 games make it to store shelves or are they as good as cancelled and thq is lying about them actually coming out.

Edited by Mcfart

Darksiders, Metro, Warhammer, Saints Row, and COH are THQ's best franchises, and I hope that they either have a successful realease/reception, or great publishers that are not EA or Activision take them up if THQ falls.

Posted by Skyfire543

I need my Metro.

Posted by Arrested_Developer

Uh oh.

Posted by RollingZeppelin

Well this sucks. :(

Posted by turboskerv

@ThePickle: Well spoken,

Posted by CaptRocketblaze

I'm not surprised that Darksiders II hasn't been a huge success. They failed to deliver on their setup at the end of the first game. This is what happens when businessmen who don't understand their customers make the decisions for a company.

Posted by BaconGames

As someone who fucking loved Metro 2033, I really hope it all works out. Not as much into CoH but I love Relic's 40k output and would love to see them do well and who knows maybe get into the franchise.

Edited by mlarrabee

That's depressing.

The three unreleased titles listed are some of the most interesting or exciting games to be announced. I hope their sales reflect that.

Posted by iAmJohn

Man, this is just going to be fucking Midway all over again, isn't it? I don't think I have another slow, painful publisher death in me. :(

Posted by TREVRAWR

Let's hope future Wii U owners pick up Darksiders II.

Posted by mrpandaman

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka said:

@Talis12 said:

Not enough people buying em- that simple.

Even if this isn't the end of THQ, unless there's a quick sudden turn in fortune it's pretty much guaranteed to be the end for the Darksiders franchise. THQ openly stated the game needed to sell over 2 million to break even, and they would only openly consider Darksiders 3 if it made it past 3-4 million.

Last I checked, Darksiders 2 has sold over 1 million- but is probably not going to break 2 million fast enough. (It wasn't a complete flop, but it wasn't the success THQ was banking on)

Though who knows- maybe holiday sales will somehow save em. (Probably not :\ )

As said the under performing Darksiders 2 hurt them, but I thought what really dug them under was the uDraw tablet on 360 and PS3 and how it really failed pretty badly to sell on those consoles when it really did well on the Wii.

Posted by laserbolts

Curse you to hell uDraw.

Posted by bunnymud

Bums me out that Darksiders 2 didn't do better. It is a fun game.

Posted by TheUnsavedHero

This doesn't sound good. Metro better be released soon.

Edited by vinsanityv22

According to VGChartz, combines sales on 360, PS3 and PC for Darksiders 2 so far is about half a million dollars. Now, they're not super accurate, but I'm certain that, yeah, that title is nowhere near selling all the 1.4 million units it shipped.

Darksiders 2 went up against some stiff competition. Sleeping Dogs, Transformers 2, Last Story... and then XCOM and Dishonored came out shortly thereafter. The first game came out in January, against practically nothing. This one... this one had it's work cut out for it. And THQ, despite a strong ad campaign in my opinion, with some decent ads, is no Electronic Arts, Ubi Soft or Activision. Best Buy wasn't talking up Darksiders 2. Nor was Wal-Mart. Gamestop wasn't talking it up, either. Now, I loathe those stupid machinima ads Gamestop runs, but I'm certain that stupid, mainstream gamers are pretty much ONLY informed by whatever Gamestop tells them to buy every season. Which is why only the same 4-5 annualized franchises seem to sell well every year. It's depressing.

Hopefully DS2 moves briskly over the next few weeks. Like for Christmas? That's when I'll pick it up (hoping for some good Black Friday deals). Or maybe the Nintendo Wii U version will sell pretty well. I'm sure this game deserves a bump in sales.

Hang in there THQ. Building a franchise takes a lot of support. Look at Sony; they've been taking a beating for supporting games like Infamous and Modnation Racers. But it's the right thing to do, so long as the game is good.

Posted by machinerebel

My mind is fucking blown here: Someone is actually giving Obsidian MORE time to finish a game. WHAT.

Posted by asmo29a

I really liked Darksiders. All Darksiders 2 coverage went to show that it's got basically nothing to do with the first one and went pretty much in the opposite direction of where I'd have wanted it to go. Maybe I'll pick it up in a steam sale when it's < 10€.. but even that is a big maybe.

Posted by redsoundwaves

I haven't started the Metro series but it isn't fun watching a publishers with great IP's such as these begin to go downhill like this.

Posted by Giantstalker

Company of Heroes 2 will be coming out.

Maybe not under THQ as publisher, but mark my words, we will be playing that game next year.

Hope, people!

Posted by jillsandwich

Fuck, I need that South Park game now...

Posted by brandondryrock

This is too bad. I have a feeling South Park will sell a shitload of copies, as long as they don't continue to delay it and people forget about it.

Posted by Shortbreadtom

THQ and Square Enix are both in trouble, and I've always thought they were the most consumer friendly big publishers. So unfair.

Posted by Lazyaza

Really hope this doesn't fuck over Relic, want Dawn of War 3 so bad.

Posted by Zekhariah

@crusader8463 said:

Boooo. I got both COH 2 and SP pre-ordered. Wonder if I will get a refund if they get canned.

Unless you found the shadiest retailer in the world (like you paid already for a copy from a Russian website you found via Craigslist), I would not worry all that much about it.

The southpark delay looks particularly bad, as that is probably the most mass-appeal thing they had on the horizon. Metro may have been neat, but its still action survival horror. It is to bad that this occurs as THQ has been releasing good titles; hopefully they manage to turn things around or at least sell the full studios outright instead of letting them get broken apart. So far (with places like 38) it seems like the larger publishers are at least recognizing the value of purchasing a whole team.

Posted by icytower38

Man this really sucks for THQ and anyone involved with the studio :(. I really hope that South Park game is released and turns out good, I'm very excited for it.

Posted by Viking_Funeral

As long as the South Park game gets released, I'm happy. Though CoH2 making it would be nice, too.

Posted by Homeslice

Here's hoping WWE '13 picks up the slack, in the meantime.

Posted by MachoFantastico

Feel like WWE 13 is good enough that I hope it helps them out a bit.

Posted by Deusoma
@iAmJohn said:
Man, this is just going to be fucking Midway all over again, isn't it? I don't think I have another slow, painful publisher death in me. :(
Look at the bright side, it can't possibly be as bad as how 38 Studios went down. :P
  • 131 results