Posted by Drebin_893

"I think the faces on dudes look really nice"

- Jeff Gerstmann

Posted by ucankurbaga

Finish the fight!.......or start again!

Posted by Scotto

@RVonE said:

@ttocs said:

I'm surprised Jeff did the QL. I would have thought someone else would have covered it since Jeff isn't big into Halo. Regardless, I'm looking forward to watching this at lunch today.

@JeanLuc said:

Kind of wish Drew was in this quick look. Jeff has never been the biggest Halo fan (which is totally fine), so having Drew and Jeff would help to give a better view from different mindsets.

And yet he gave Halo 3 a 9.5.

Not being big into Halo, but being able to stand back and evaluate it on it's merits, are not mutually exclusive. Yeah, Jeff gave Halo 3 a 9.5 - the same Jeff who said in this Quick Look that Halo multiplayer has never "clicked" for him.

Posted by Scotto

@RVonE said:

I really agree with regarding the music. While it is certainly fine in this game, I don't feel that it really stands out in a way that is memorable. While I think each individual track is excellent, Halo4's music seems to miss an overarching motif that the other Halo soundtracks have.

I liked it - different motif for a new trilogy. And frankly, I think some people (including Brad) are misremembering the amount of "monk chanting" in the previous Halo soundtracks. The main theme always had it, but the remainder of the music was mostly mounting orchestral music - which this game also does, granted with a new feel.

Posted by leejunfan83

@RVonE: Inconsistent and Jaded

Posted by Daneian

Jennifer 'Halo' Hale

Posted by Crixaliz

@HedinnWeis said:

Fishstick.... COD. Very clever 343.

Haha nice catch, took me a minute to understand.

Posted by zyn

@ucankurbaga said:

Finish the fight!.......or start again!

Start and Finish... A NEW fight!

Posted by xMrSunshine

Man that FoV. I feel super claustrophobic just looking at it, especially since the guns Jeff's using take about a fourth of the screen which is crazy. I mean they're sweet looking guns but come on. That combined with the IMMERSIVE!!! helmet pieces you see on the side I feel like I could just block the majority of my screen with a piece of cardboard that has a hole in the middle.

Posted by CrossTheAtlantic

@RVonE said:

@ttocs said:

I'm surprised Jeff did the QL. I would have thought someone else would have covered it since Jeff isn't big into Halo. Regardless, I'm looking forward to watching this at lunch today.

@JeanLuc said:

Kind of wish Drew was in this quick look. Jeff has never been the biggest Halo fan (which is totally fine), so having Drew and Jeff would help to give a better view from different mindsets.

He realized there was more to this life than Tony Hawk and GTA series. Jeff Gerstmann is an amazing man who surprised us all!

Posted by vashstyle

It's fucking awesome that someone can spawn with a sniper rifle and then proceed to use their motion sensor while zooming. Way to fuck up Halo's multiplayer, guys. "Map control? What's that? Make it so everyone in the game can have whatever gun they want."

Posted by Antihippy
Edited by Scotto

@vashstyle said:

It's fucking awesome that someone can spawn with a sniper rifle and then proceed to use their motion sensor while zooming. Way to fuck up Halo's multiplayer, guys. "Map control? What's that? Make it so everyone in the game can have whatever gun they want."

Game has been out for ten hours. Little early to say they "fucked up" the multiplayer.

Posted by Bummlmitz

Maybe it's because I'm a PC guy, but I don't get why this franchise is so popular...

Posted by RVonE

@Scotto said:

@RVonE said:

@ttocs said:

@JeanLuc said:

Not being big into Halo, but being able to stand back and evaluate it on it's merits, are not mutually exclusive. Yeah, Jeff gave Halo 3 a 9.5 - the same Jeff who said in this Quick Look that Halo multiplayer has never "clicked" for him.

Hmm, yes, that's what I meant to say. Jeff clearly isn't a Halo fan but that doesn't mean that he isn't the right guy for this quick look. I think his perspective on the games is fair and reasoned. From his Halo 3 review I take that he felt that the game had a lot to offer beside the multiplayer; I can totally see how the same isn't true to that same extent this time around.

Posted by Alorithin
Posted by Mr_Skeleton

@Bummlmitz said:

Maybe it's because I'm a PC guy, but I don't get why this franchise is so popular...

Because they are good games.

Posted by Residentrevil2

Brad was defending Halo 4 against Jeff's lackluster attitude. I respect Jeff's opinion on the game, but I think I'm in Brad and Drew's corner of the like the new Halo game side.

Posted by RVonE

@CrossTheAtlantic: :D

Edited by Antihippy

@Alorithin: I'm not really trying start anything, just posting the video of what the post is referencing because I thought the video was funny and want more people to know the majesty of the brodeo.

Posted by JayCee

Not sure how 343 did it- but this game looks astounding. They've cranked out some amazing visuals on this old hardware set.

Posted by TomboSlice

@BeachThunder: nope.

@Alorithin said:

@Antihippy said:

@CrossTheAtlantic: lest we forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEpdWpFjTEU

Let's not start another 400 comment field over character attacks like this.

What was the attack? I was just referencing that. I can't think of Jeff+Halo 3 without it.

Edited by Scotto

@Antihippy said:

Oh man I had never heard this before. That's goddamned hilarious.

EDIT: I love you Jeffy! Yes yes yes yes yes! hahaha

Posted by Clonedzero

jeff made this a boring quicklook. i dont mind if he wasn't excited about it, but damn dude, have a setting other than "indifferent".

alexis and drew shoulda done the quick look. that woulda been awesome. jeff was just a bummer to listen to.

Posted by Alorithin

@Antihippy: Shawn Elliot doing his Ralphie is funny. I just don't want to see another 100+ "look at these losers" comments.

Posted by Scotto

@Clonedzero said:

jeff made this a boring quicklook. i dont mind if he wasn't excited about it, but damn dude, have a setting other than "indifferent".

alexis and drew shoulda done the quick look. that woulda been awesome. jeff was just a bummer to listen to.

I'll agree that Jeff seemed pretty laconic in this video, considering he gave the game a pretty good review.

Posted by DexterKid

@Antihippy said:

Ah wow I had forgotten about that. That was fucking amazing.

Oh GFW Radio, I miss you so much. Nothing will ever come close!

Posted by vikingdeath1

I forgot to vote

Posted by DexterKid

@Scotto said:

@Clonedzero said:

I'll agree that Jeff seemed pretty laconic in this video, considering he gave the game a pretty good review.

I'm guessing that 4/5 is more objective than subjective, as is Jeff's way.

Posted by Top Flight Security

Looks really good! Can't wait to play it.

By the way, Conan and Andy Richter are in this game. I think they're random dudes loading shit or something.

Edited by bybeach

When the new Halo game comes out, PC computing Will be waiting for it!

And no Brutes?

'HAHJAHA ..That one soiled himself!' They were my fav. to kill....especially with dual wielding machine pistols.

And having to wait till 2017 for the next Halo game after this, very arguable whether we will be around for it. Jeff/Brad's Point has a potential to it that makes me uncomfortable. Nothing after all is really getting better in this world....

Posted by Antihippy

@Alorithin: Fair enough, though I hope everyone know that it was just in jest.

Posted by SensuousLettuce

Halo sucks SO bad.

Posted by lobsterman

I still don't understand why Halo is any good. To be more precise why is it in such high regard with peoples.

Posted by ValeYard

What I like about Jeff's criticism is that it's consistent with his other reviews, e.g. Modern Warfare 3. However, maybe the quick look could have done with a 'fanboy' riding shotgun with Jeff ;)

Posted by Clonedzero

@lobsterman said:

I still don't understand why Halo is any good. To be more precise why is it in such high regard with peoples.

just because you dont like something, doesnt mean others dont. theres plenty of games that are regarded as great and popular that i dont like. i dont go around questioning people about it. people have different tastes, deal with it.

Posted by ValeYard

@lobsterman: de gustibus non est disputandum, I guess.

I like Halo because tons of my friends play it, making for great online experiences. Also, I like the story and universe, but hey, that's just me. I have days when I don't like Halo that much either, and prefer the quicker pace of a CoD or a non-shooter game entirely.

Posted by Colourful_Hippie

Fuck, I have to wait till the 14th to come back from Ireland to get this.

Posted by ez123

I agree with a lot of Jeff's criticism's(especially weapon design, mantis) but I'm watching that QL grinning. It just looks so good and Brad's impressions of playing on Heroic are promising. I won't get to this one soon though. Unlike when H3 and Reach came out, I have a huge backlog.

Posted by RedRoach

@Clonedzero said:

@lobsterman said:

just because you dont like something, doesnt mean others dont. theres plenty of games that are regarded as great and popular that i dont like. i dont go around questioning people about it. people have different tastes, deal with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong lobsterman, but I'm pretty sure he meant he literally does not get why people like it. He never said it was wrong to like it, or that it's a bad game, just that he doesn't understand the appeal. Neither do I. I'm honestly curious as to what draws people to this game. I've played all of the Halo games, and they're all good, I never understood what was so special though, what makes people think it's the pinnacle of shooters.

Posted by JamesKond

@BeachThunder: No?

Edited by Death_Burnout

A thing I liked about Reach was I was able to customize my dude (or lady as the case was) in the campaign...I'll miss that, as I also have never liked Halo multiplayer.

Oh, Spartan Ops...Well that's something at least.

Posted by Chuggsy
@RedRoach said:

@Clonedzero said:

@lobsterman said:

Correct me if I'm wrong lobsterman, but I'm pretty sure he meant he literally does not get why people like it. He never said it was wrong to like it, or that it's a bad game, just that he doesn't understand the appeal. Neither do I. I'm honestly curious as to what draws people to this game. I've played all of the Halo games, and they're all good, I never understood what was so special though, what makes people think it's the pinnacle of shooters.

I've always liked it for the open ended gameplay, especially back in the day when I didn't have XBL. It was one of the best couch games available; so many hours of me and my friend switching between co-op, trying to find secrets like the soccer ball in 2, and online multiplayer, finding ways to get out of maps and finding fun weapon combos.  If you are honestly wondering, that's why. No other game I played had that exploratory, dynamic, co-op goodness.
Posted by Veektarius

The killcams make the multiplayer depressing from how little variety there is, just a bunch of people with DMRs going for headshots. It's always been like that, and I always figured that out after playing Halo for awhile in multiplayer, but that really drives it home off the bat, how everyone is aiming slightly up and waiting for the reticule to turn red. In a game with so many weapons, you'd hope for a bit more variety.

Still, I'm in it for the MP, and maybe Spartan Ops will be worthwhile eventually. Firefight will be missed, however -even if people always played it on the wrong settings on matchmaking.

Posted by Brandino

Super hyped. Got mine installing now but i gotta watch this dope nWo blu-ray first.

Posted by lobsterman

@RedRoach said:

@Clonedzero said:

@lobsterman said:

Yeah. I see nothing wrong with Halo, or liking Halo for that matter. I just don't understand the hype and the insane popularity. To me it always seemed like "just another shooter". Nothing really wrong about it but nothing special either. Same goes to the last 4-5 CoD games.