288 Comments
Posted by Hef

One day I believe Microsoft will put these games out on PC. One day. And on that day I will finally use GFWL.

Posted by RE_Player1

Even though this is called Halo 4 this is far from the 4th Halo product. We've already had 4 boxed games this generation, excluding Halo Wars, so I don't think I need another especially one with such little changes to the formula.

Posted by ucankurbaga

Maybe after another 4 Halo games they begin to change formula.

Posted by plainplease

What the fux is that weird sound at 18:54?

Posted by benitobb

Fishstick? As in COD, as in like cod, the type of fish... Good one 343.

Posted by KlUMZeE

Interested in seeing this one.

Posted by Chtasm

Are Cortana's chest and hips more uh...pronounced in this game or is it just me?

Posted by Scrawnto

I'll just say that I played the first couple of missions last night/this morning, and I am really enjoying it so far.

Posted by RE_Player1

@Chtasm said:

Are Cortana's chest and hips more uh...pronounced in this game or is it just me?

It's not just you. They did that to humanize her...

Edited by Mumrik

That orange (Promethean?) gun looks and sounds extremely unsatisfying in that clip.

Anyway, yet another case of Jeff giving a shooter a 4/5 and then sounding very disappointed with it. Maybe he just doesn't do positive.

Posted by coaxmetal

I think brad is too forgiving of stagnation is game design

Posted by Pie

Hey could someone be really awesome and tell me the period they play the campaign? I want to go into that fresh but still want to see everything else

Posted by ZGoon

Wasn't it telling Jeff to hit the right bumper because that was the default controls for melee...? He should've tried hitting the right stick.

Posted by cikame

I liked Halo 1.

Posted by Entmoot

Nice to Brad playing the Devil's Advocate. Sincere or not; helps Jeff reinforce his view points on the game.

Posted by masterpaperlink

Ugh, nobody is happy playing the same crap over and over again. gimmie halo republic commando, or ANYTHING different. now i see why Ryan Payton left the project.

Posted by CptBedlam

@msavo said:

@Chtasm said:

It's not just you. They did that to humanize her...

Yeah... "humanize her"...

Posted by Zereta

@Riboflavin said:

It is hard to not be forgiving with the ONE game that differentiates itself from almost every other shooter out there.

Posted by xMrSunshine
@Chtasm said:

I've never even played a Halo game before and it stuck out like a sore thumb. I dunno how I feel about some sort of blue holograph of a super AI that also packs a pair of huge titties and wide hips. I guess the clearest feeling I get is disgust. I'm not usually the kind of guy who cares about these kinds of things but that was just kinda stupid looking... Definitely unnecessary if you ask me but maybe the devs know their target audience.
Posted by NTM

I think it's weird how they're pretty much saying the exact opposite of what most other critics have been saying. That's too bad.

Edited by Skanker

This game can eat poop for locking all non-Campaign content behind the Gold pay wall. You can't even play Spartan Ops splitscreen and offline unless all participating accounts have Gold. Absolutely stupid.

I mean, it's not like I like Halo or anything, but that's really gross. From the little I played of the campaign, it's just "Chief, we've gotta go over there!" and then there is a group of aliens right in your path and nowhere else on the map. It was telling when I told my brother the correct way couldn't possibly be in the direction he was headed because there were no aliens there. The point is, it's still totally baffling to me why anybody thinks this series is anything special.

But still, locking content away, pretty crap.

Posted by IcarusFoundYou

AN ANCIENT EVIL AWAKENS

Posted by iodizedjoe

You guys criticizing what this game is don't appreciate what money is it's Halo you guys fuck yeah video games kill streaks master chief late night koala bear pizza high-fives yo yeooow G4TV blue red boomerangs I rode a warthog doritos mt. eerie mt. dew mt. doom 3,000 people made this game too big to fail hail America I bought it at Walmart

Edited by xMrSunshine
@Zereta: Aren't you exaggerating a bit? It's a FPS where you shoot at aliens for 6-8 hours in campaign and then you play multiplayer where you go through all of the same gamemodes that are in every online FPS and some others while getting XP from kills, equpping perks and different guns, leveling up your guy and unlocking new stuff as you progress in ranks. Enemies take a bit more focused fire than in regular FPSs but that hardly seems like it would make it the one and only game that does something different. 

From the Quick look I got the feeling that both Jeff and Brad thought that the game pretty much does what the franchise has done before so I don't think they would even have a reason to be forgiving of the stagnation that's going on. I also don't think that stagnant game design in a franchise has anything to do with how different the game is compared to other games.
Posted by prestonhedges

@Pie said:

Hey could someone be really awesome and tell me the period they play the campaign? I want to go into that fresh but still want to see everything else

They start talking about the multiplayer at 21:20.

Posted by Pie

@gladspooky said:

@Pie said:

Thanks!

Posted by thatdutchguy

ugh soaked in Halo 4 nasty

Posted by RE_Player1

@Skanker said:

This game can eat poop for locking all non-Campaign content behind the Gold pay wall. You can't even play Spartan Ops splitscreen and offline unless all participating accounts have Gold. Absolutely stupid.

Please tell me you are joking... That is fucking stupid if true.

Posted by MeatSim

Spartan Ops seems kind of disappointing but campaign seems like it should be fun enough. I hope the multiplayer turns out better then it did in Halo Reach.

Posted by Cheesebob

I'm not up to date with my Halo game knowledge but is there no dual wielding in this game?

Posted by myslead

do you like fishstick?

Posted by altairre

Five minute into this and man do I hate fucking turrent sequences (you could not use the turret but why wouldn't you if it's there). I'm not judging the game overall and it's probably pretty awesome (eventhough I don't really care for Halo) but turrent sequences are always such a turnoff (I'm also looking at you Mass Effect 3).

Posted by JeanLuc

@RVonE said:

@Scotto said:

@RVonE said:

@ttocs said:

I'm surprised Jeff did the QL. I would have thought someone else would have covered it since Jeff isn't big into Halo. Regardless, I'm looking forward to watching this at lunch today.

@JeanLuc said:

Kind of wish Drew was in this quick look. Jeff has never been the biggest Halo fan (which is totally fine), so having Drew and Jeff would help to give a better view from different mindsets.

And yet he gave Halo 3 a 9.5.

Not being big into Halo, but being able to stand back and evaluate it on it's merits, are not mutually exclusive. Yeah, Jeff gave Halo 3 a 9.5 - the same Jeff who said in this Quick Look that Halo multiplayer has never "clicked" for him.

Hmm, yes, that's what I meant to say. Jeff clearly isn't a Halo fan but that doesn't mean that he isn't the right guy for this quick look. I think his perspective on the games is fair and reasoned. From his Halo 3 review I take that he felt that the game had a lot to offer beside the multiplayer; I can totally see how the same isn't true to that same extent this time around.

And Jeff's opinion is totally fine, but as someone who is into Halo multiplayer I would also like to get the opinion of someone that does like it such as Drew or Alexis. I'm sure I'll get plenty of that for TNT though so I guess it works out.

Posted by Lurkero

It's tough to argue much against Halo when so many shooters are focused on modern military combat. The current market actually allows Halo to stand out.

It is disappointing that the end of Halo 3 could have led to much greater things but in the end its mostly just more Halo. I know its under a new dev team, but I was hoping that at least half of Halo 4 would be a departure from the old games. The Prometheons are cool enemies but not much seems to be changed for the player.

Posted by ThreeRoneC

Conan O'Brien and Andy Richter are in this game and say a few funny lines. Watch it on YouTube

Posted by Arrested_Developer

@masterpaperlink said:

Ugh, nobody is happy playing the same crap over and over again......

You have heard of Call of Duty right?

Posted by Soulblitz

I've only played the multiplayer so far, but is it me, or does it not look that good? I know they're very different games, but after playing some Forza Horizon with some nice AA and jumping right into Halo 4, the multiplayer is jaggy city. It's really fun to play, but there has been a lot of praise for the graphics and I just don't see it.

Maybe the campaign is different? Not tried it yet, waiting to play co-op with friends.

Posted by Dyram

I don't know if it's anyone else, but I normally don't get motion sickness from anything, and the way this game handled the viewport makes me feel ill. To me, it seems that the field of view is a little low (though that's more of an issue from sitting at a computer screen so close, or if you also game on your console on it like I do), but the real issue is that they put the reticule three-quarters of the way down the screen. Who does that?

With the "center point" of the screen shifted down like that, the entire view seems like it's shifted up or looking too high, as the weight of the visual information above it pushes everything else down. Humans see from the center of their perspective, obviously, so having the centered position be statically different from the focal position is really not making my head happy. Maybe it's not so bad when playing it yourself, but I don't know who thought this was a good idea or how it made it through testing. It is so sickening and painful feeling like the camera is constantly moving around tilted about 30 degrees up. My brain just keeps trying to tug the whole image back down to fix it.

Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Posted by Bistromath

Who's that tiny blue woman? I want to get with her.

Posted by murisan

@Pie said:

@gladspooky said:

@Pie said:

Thanks!

That's a lie. They start at 34mins.

Posted by csl316

Man, GB and I have such different opinions on games this year.  This, Mass Effect 3... I get bummed when I find a game superb and Jeff goes "meh."  But what can you do.

Very, very interested in seeing their top ten lists this year.  Especially Jeff's.

Posted by Delta_Ass

Knights!

Posted by Osaladin

It looks fun, will wait for the PC. Still not super thrilled about how hypersexualized Cortana is though.

Posted by kishinfoulux

@Osaladin said:

It looks fun, will wait for the PC. Still not super thrilled about how hypersexualized Cortana is though.

You know that's not happening right?

Also it looks like Halo, which is great, because Halo has always been fun.

Posted by JBird

My video will not seem to play. just gives me a black screen. Any help?!

Posted by murisan

@Osaladin said:

That's never going to happen.

Posted by coaxmetal

@Zereta said:

@Riboflavin said:

It is hard to not be forgiving with the ONE game that differentiates itself from almost every other shooter out there.

Well all that really means is that other games aren't copying halo, it's not really to halo's credit itself. I mean, the Halo games are fine, not a huge fan myself, but iteration without innovation in general isn't what I want out of game design, even if there isn't anything else iterating on the same thing. This has always been a major problem in the industry, I don't mean to single out Halo in particular, this is just another example.

Posted by san_salvador

[flame]so did you forget to turn the low poly mode off?[/flame]

Posted by coaxmetal

Also it's hilarious that the trailer literally says "an ancient evil awakens" or something like that. I wonder if they were self-aware about that or legitimately thought it was a great story idea.

Edited by MordeaniisChaos

I do really not get why they took dual wielding out. It was one of the things that mixed up Halo and made it more interesting in the sandbox. I loved mixing the brute weapons up with like a plasma pistol in the other hand. Or just using two spikers.... :3

Magnetism in multiplayer seems INSANE. Is that just me?

I remember when voting for maps in Halo was a good thing. Now, I wish they would just remove it and make it totally random.