288 Comments
Posted by BasketSnake

See you soon....ISREALIS! I am the best in the history of videogames!

Posted by IntoTheN1ght

The argument that Halo is fresh and "new" because the paint of the game is not that of a modern military shooter is quite silly. Halo feels even more stale than CoD's out there because it still is the same game you have been playing since early last decade, the changes (if you can even call them that) from Bungie have been minimal, comparing to what is more fresh between between CoD and Halo is futile but at least CoD is something that became popular this gen with Modern Warfare, previous Call of Duty game were mostly PC shooters and the series was just lumped together with every other WW2 game out there.

Brad defended the game, whereas Jeff was not kind to it at all. Instead of Halo forging its own path, they chose to keep the gameplay and add some CoD'esque things, like perks, leveling up and gaining items, kill cam etc.

What the shooter genre needs is someone to flip it on its head, to set the new standard, its what Jeff talks about in the newest Jar video, 343 studio did not have the grapefruits to do that, which to some extent we call can understand. But it is still dissapointing that they just took Halo and added a few CoDesque stuff in it.

It is basically Halo 3/Reach but looks alot better and sounds better which is by far this game's biggest strenghts. That is outweighed by the fact that most people are pretty sick and tired of Halo, even those of us who enjoyed it at some point.

Thus it is a prettier paint job vs more fatigue for a series that needed big changes 5 years ago, at this point it is a parody of itself.

Posted by Aeonfell

This game has some serious Turok fog going on.

Edited by RobinOttens

@CH3BURASHKA said:

Anyone else have issues streaming off of their proprietary videos? They've been locking up on me - can only watch it on Youtube.

Same here. I love mondays had the same issue. Something to do with the streaming ads or something? I click play and nothing loads, nothing happens, just a black screen. Youtube works fine, but I prefer watching videos over here. Oh well, nothing on topic to say without having seen the video. So off to youtube I go!

Posted by evanbower

@Tarsier: Oh good, it's you again.

Posted by rebgav

@xMrSunshine said:

@Chtasm said:

Are Cortana's chest and hips more uh...pronounced in this game or is it just me?

I've never even played a Halo game before and it stuck out like a sore thumb. I dunno how I feel about some sort of blue holograph of a super AI that also packs a pair of huge titties and wide hips. I guess the clearest feeling I get is disgust.

To me it looks as if they simply gave her a more feminine, human shape rather than the weird videogame blow-up doll look she had before. Not sure why that would be disgusting, beyond the traditional freak-out over Cortana being redesigned that seems to come with each numbered Halo game.

Posted by NTM

Well, that was a good quick look for the most part, aside from the sometimes somewhat negative tone, or at least a less than fantastic outlook over some aspects. I feel like sometimes games can be great quality, but be the same as it was from the past iterations and be boring, yet there are games that do the same thing and are great fun, I think with this, I'll have a lot of fun with it, so in that regard, I can't really agree with the disappointment. I know Jeff, and maybe the other guys don't care for split screen, but it was pretty fun watching them play it.

Posted by RetroVirus

That comparison to Mass Effect's story was quite ominous. Looks like it plays amazingly well, like Halo does.

Posted by AlmostSwedish

Wow, that looked (ands I say this as a huge fan of the series) really bland.

Posted by kerse

I thought the Fear 2 mech sequences were pretty satisfying.

Posted by TechnoSyndrome

Fuck COD leveling unlock systems. What the fuck happened to people that made them okay with this? Why should someone have an advantage just because they dumped more hours into a game?

What if if in Street Fighter you didn't have any special moves until you hit level seven? What if in Starcraft you only had access to the most basic units until you'd played for twenty hours? Why the fuck should anything except skill level matter in a fucking competitive game?

Posted by honkyjesus

I get so tired of these military shooters.

Posted by RE_Player1

@Taku128: Those are actually good comparisons.

Posted by FierceDeity

@Taku128 said:

Fuck COD leveling unlock systems. What the fuck happened to people that made them okay with this? Why should someone have an advantage just because they dumped more hours into a game?

What if if in Street Fighter you didn't have any special moves until you hit level seven? What if in Starcraft you only had access to the most basic units until you'd played for twenty hours? Why the fuck should anything except skill level matter in a fucking competitive game?

Why the fuck do you care? Nobody is holding a gun up to someone's head and ordering them to play these types of games. Don't like it? Don't eat play.

Also: Is it really that hard to understand why some people like leveling mechanics? Some people like RPGs. Some people like competitive multiplayer games. Those two circles overlap.

Posted by DougQuaid

@Taku128 said:

Because people LOOOOOOOOOOVE knowing they have an advantage against their opponents, whether it be through progression unlocks or outright exploiting and/or cheating.

Posted by xMrSunshine
@rebgav: I guess that's fine if your image of a more feminine and human shape is on the same level as the general female body type in DoA games. 

Maybe that's a bit harsh but in this video she still looks like her hips are at least twice the size of her waist. Surely they could've done something else to make her more human, if that's even necessary considering that she's an AI. Maybe there's a reason for all of this that only a Halo fan can understand.
Posted by JoeyRavn

He. "Fishtick".

Poor Kanye.

Posted by rebgav

@xMrSunshine said:

@rebgav: I guess that's fine if your image of a more feminine and human shape is on the same level as the general female body type in DoA games. Maybe that's a bit harsh but in this video she still looks like her hips are at least twice the size of her waist. Surely they could've done something else to make her more human, if that's even necessary considering that she's an AI. Maybe there's a reason for all of this that only a Halo fan can understand.

The previous Cortana models are basically a male body-type with bolt-on breasts and a big ass.

The new model deviates by simply having a genuinely feminine, human shape. I don't think it looks remotely like the excessively over-designed and top-heavy roster of DOA characters, though she may have a slight case of Chun-Li thigh.

Given that we're talking about a character who has always been represented as a naked woman I just can't begin to muster the slightest bit of outrage at her looking more like a naked woman. If you're going to indulge in exploitative eye candy it might as well look less dumb, I guess.

Posted by Yurtigo

meh

Posted by roguehallow

Fish stick. Cod. Cute.

Posted by xxNBxx

@Taku128:

Your argument is flawed. If you pick up SF for the first time and try to play someone that has played for years you will most likely lose. Same for any of the games you mentioned. Persistent leveling is in games as a incentive for mediocre players to keep playing. A lot of the time if your good at a game you can over come someone that is mediocre that just plays a lot.

Posted by Tikicobra

Gee, did Brad play this game on Heroic?

Posted by zoozilla

@roguehallow: Wow, I completely missed that. That's pretty funny.

Posted by kajankua

Fishstick . Cod is a fish .

I see what they did there .

Posted by ProfessorEss

Scores aside, I would've loved to read what Shoemaker would've written had he reviewed Halo 4.

He just seems to have the same type of "I don't love it, per se, but I respect it and always have fun playing it" that I have with the Halo games.

Posted by Mezmero

A very informative video guys! I really like when Jeff gets all apocryphal. I too doubt we'd make it to 2017 with the way things are going. It could be aliens, nature, the sun, or other humans who wipe us all out when the end comes. Just watching this footage I can agree with all of Jeff's points about the game play beats looking too familiar to those of us who have played these games for years now. The graphics look amazing but if it's the same slog of a Halo campaign followed by multiplayer I don't really care to get good at, then I'm going to pass on this one. I might rent it but I think I'm just burned out on this generation of console shooters.

I was really confused when those humans suddenly appeared in this video. Obviously I'm missing a huge chunk of story while watching but making humans and covenant appear conveniently seems kind of lame. Kind of wish you spoiled it so I can understand why the hell these guys show up out of nowhere. The metal gear armor was a dumb addition to the game. Piloting that thing should feel even more badass but I clearly saw Jeff taking moments to hide behind cover waiting for the mech's shields to recharge. You know, the same thing you'd be doing if you were on foot.

Space Police! Is Chris here?

Last thing I want to say is that Steve Downes played the voice of another "space cop" earlier this year. He played the voice of Peter Quill the Starlord in an episode of the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest heroes cartoon.

Posted by Daniel_Newton

Like Jeff I'm a little disappointed with how safe 343 played it with this game, but it's better than going too far of the rails and messing it up completely, and I enjoyed the previous Halo games so I'll no doubt enjoy this one. It should be interesting to see what they do with Halo 5.

@rebgav said:

@xMrSunshine said:

@Chtasm said:

Are Cortana's chest and hips more uh...pronounced in this game or is it just me?

I've never even played a Halo game before and it stuck out like a sore thumb. I dunno how I feel about some sort of blue holograph of a super AI that also packs a pair of huge titties and wide hips. I guess the clearest feeling I get is disgust.

To me it looks as if they simply gave her a more feminine, human shape rather than the weird videogame blow-up doll look she had before. Not sure why that would be disgusting, beyond the traditional freak-out over Cortana being redesigned that seems to come with each numbered Halo game.

She's definitely curvier than she was in previous games, but I think if you compare the 3D models side by side Halo 4 Cortana is much more realistic and natural-looking. People complaining about her curves should try to remember she's a fully grown woman, and she's kind of naked.

If you ask me, Halo 4 Cortana looks like a mature woman while Halo 2 and Halo 3 Cortana look like teenagers in push-up bras by comparison. Halo 1 Cortana looks like she could use a good meal.

I guess most of her legs being dark blue kind of emphasize her thighs a little more than necessary (the fact that she glows probably emphasizes things even more), but it's not like she's running around with huge jiggly DoA5 boobs (not that I have a big problem with them in the context of that game, they just wouldn't be appropriate for Halo). In fact, new Cortana probably has the most natural-looking breasts I've seen in a video game, thinking about it.

Huh. I guess I'm more opinionated about this sort of stuff than I thought.

Posted by Sooty

yup that is a Halo game

Posted by gbrading

Never played a Halo game. Don't think I will either.

Posted by Goblin

Wow, a whole hour of Halo talk without a mention of "the combat puzzle". I am pleasantly surprised.

Posted by GenocidalKitten

I'm really hung up on the custom load outs thing, what I loved about Halo was that everyone started on an equal playing field, and you wouldn't earn points so, everyone would work to win for the team rather than for kills.

Posted by Osaladin

@kishinfoulux: @murisan: Yes I do, but a boy can dream.

Posted by masterpaperlink

@Arrested_Developer said:

@masterpaperlink said:

Ugh, nobody is happy playing the same crap over and over again......

You have heard of Call of Duty right?

Might take a while but cod has a limit

Posted by madmanmaple89

Jeff gives Halo 4 four stars. Jeff mostly complains throughout the quick look. Jeff complains about games he likes.

Posted by GenocidalKitten

@FierceDeity said:

@Taku128 said:

Why the fuck do you care? Nobody is holding a gun up to someone's head and ordering them to play these types of games. Don't like it? Don't eat play.

Also: Is it really that hard to understand why some people like leveling mechanics? Some people like RPGs. Some people like competitive multiplayer games. Those two circles overlap.

He cares because he probably enjoyed the previous games and isn't getting this one because of the COD leveling system and wishes that that system wasn't there.

How the fuck can you not understand that?

Posted by Draxyle

I may not be into Halo, but that looks like some Halo-ass Halo.

The developers definitely deserve credit for keeping it this faithful.

Posted by Axelhander

@GenocidalKitten said:

@FierceDeity said:

@Taku128 said:

He cares because he probably enjoyed the previous games and isn't getting this one because of the COD leveling system and wishes that that system wasn't there.

Well said.

: The reason some people like leveling mechanics is because they're generally clueless about gaming and/or treat gaming as some sort of time-killer instead of the enriching hobby it's supposed to be. So they see a bar to grind in order to get better, mistake that for sound design, and assume "good game."

The reason is correct to be concerned is because he's dead right, and you're dead wrong.

Posted by DoctorWelch

This game looks absolutely stunning. I didn't think they could make Halo look much better than it already did, but I have to give 343 credit for there work.

Posted by Shaanyboi

wow... i feel like i can totally tell that ex-Metroid Prime people worked on this...

Posted by rallo

Wtf was that sound at 18:55? Disturbing...

Posted by Viking_Funeral

This looks pretty good. And I haven't been interested in Halo since Halo 2. Might have to pick it up when the price drops.

Posted by FierceDeity

@Axelhander said:

@GenocidalKitten said:

Well said.

: The reason some people like leveling mechanics is because they're generally clueless about gaming and/or treat gaming as some sort of time-killer instead of the enriching hobby it's supposed to be. So they see a bar to grind in order to get better, mistake that for sound design, and assume "good game."

The reason is correct to be concerned is because he's dead right, and you're dead wrong.

And I say that he's wasting time bitching about it here. If he doesn't like that mechanic, then he shouldn't buy the game. He's not entitled to a Halo that conforms to his expectations.

Haha, he's "dead right" and I'm "dead wrong"? Sorry, but there is no objective truth behind your claim that leveling mechanics are poor game design. I at least had the decency to never claim that it was an inherently "good" thing. I simply object to the entitled views of .

Again: Some people derive enjoyment out of a leveling mechanic. Some do not. It is purely subjective. There is no 'correct' viewpoint.

Posted by ArbitraryWater

You know what? This game looks alright. I bet I would enjoy it if I played it.

Posted by djhicks1

Thanks for the spoiler warning.

Posted by FreedomTown

@JeanLuc said:

Kind of wish Drew was in this quick look. Jeff has never been the biggest Halo fan (which is totally fine), so having Drew and Jeff would help to give a better view from different mindsets.

It is a mediocre game...having fans of it doing the QL won't change the fact this game doesn't look fun.

Halo was great......when Halo came out in 2001

Posted by Tarsier

this game is fucking great. it exceeds all my expectations at this point. it seems like as 'next level' as a halo game could get in this time. and thats exactly what it needed to be. i hope this is the same case with black ops 2, because that franchise also needs a great change.

Posted by Aeneas

@djhicks1: hour long quick look, buddy. that's how these things work.

Posted by Dagbiker

@djhicks1 said:

Thanks for the spoiler warning.

Your watching a video of the game being played, of coarse there are going to be spoilers.

Posted by Kyreo

Bumper Jumper for life!

Edited by Palaeomerus

I just have a really hard time understanding how this could be worse and blander than Syndicate was. I guess it's possible but...I just can't see it. And I was all excited about Syndicate until I bought it for $20 and played it. On paper it seemed great but playing it was a drag most of the time.

Of course I remember poo-pooing all the bad reviews for pariah back in the day only to totally agree with them after finishing it. I STILL haven't figured that story out and the only thing I really ever enjoyed was knocking down guard towers with the up-gradable grenade launcher thing.

Halo 4 is supposed to arrive sometime today so I guess I'll find out.