258 Comments
Posted by Gerhabio

What was the party game Jeff played in E3 that's missing from this release?

Posted by ShaneDev

From this quick look its clear that Jeff loves talking about Call of Duty. There is a massive difference between this and the Halo 4 quick look. Also what is the big deal about some people leveling up and playing the game before other people? Why does that bother anyone in a Call of Duty game?

Posted by impartialgecko

@xite said:

What's with the grisly depictions of people dying in this game? Is that fun? Does it make for compelling gameplay?

Treyarch has always been into going a bit further with the violence in these games. Black Ops 1 was also pretty sadistic with all the punching people with glass in their mouths and hand stabbing.

Posted by xite

What's with the grisly depictions of people dying in this game? Is that fun? Does it make for compelling gameplay?

Posted by Mumrik

@Mendelson9 said:

Looks like another good Call of Duty game

Looks like another Call of Duty game. No doubt about that.

Posted by BPRJCTX

@Slab64 said:

@BPRJCTX said:

"Yeah, i was gonna say, Savimbi, i'm already digging this guy..."

Yeah, that kinda hurt to hear Ryan...

You can pretty much switch Savimbi with Hitler...

Way to take it out of context, they were talking about how well rendered the characters faces are.

But hey, feel free to play out your little thought experiment, I'm sure Ryan still would have commented on a very high-poly video game version of Hitler.

Yeah, it wasn't really what he said, it was more the way he talked about him, not knowing who he was, thinking it's just a character created for the game.

Posted by PenguinDust

Wow! Watching this video makes me never ever want to play the multiplayer. Dying every 2 seconds just isn't fun for me.

Still, if that's your thing, go for it.

Edited by LiquidPrince

Is it still Sam Worthington doing the voice?

Edit: Nevermind.

Posted by YellowJello

@Mendelson9: Another? When was the last one?

Posted by Slab64

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@Slab64 said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

Oh, god, they spell it "unaccessible" in the menu. I'm grinding my teeth over here.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unaccessible

Sorry.

Hey, no problem. I had just never seen it spelled that way. Thanks for the knowledge bomb!

Well, that's why I bothered to look it up. I thought "this seems stupid, but I better check". I agree that it looks wrong though.

Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam
Posted by Slab64

@BPRJCTX said:

Way to take it out of context, they were talking about how well rendered the characters faces are.

But hey, feel free to play out your little thought experiment, I'm sure Ryan still would have commented on a very high-poly video game version of Hitler.

Posted by Slab64
Posted by GaspoweR

@yukoasho: What made you think West and Zampella were responsible for that design in multiplayer? Sledgehammer I believe was given a lot of responsibility for the MW3 multiplayer. Both of them were already long gone and didnt even make it past half the dev cycle for MW 3.

Posted by YukoAsho

@HellBound said:

The "Party Games" were always a part of matchmaking.....

Nope. They were "Wager matches" in COD: Black Ops, but were restricted to custom games in MW3, at least early on, as part of IW's pig-headed insisting that Treyarch didn't exist. Same reason the dive-to-prone move didn't make it to MW3. I'm hoping that, now that West and Zampella are gone, attitudes at IW can change and we'll stop going back and forth between awesome Treyarch entries and by-the-numbers IW entries.

Posted by HellBound

@RedRoach: Oh he was talking about MW3? Thought he was talking about BLOPS

I did not even know MW3 had them.

Posted by HerbieBug

Ryan "you just equipped Woods"

:D

Posted by theoracleofgame

@AngeTheDude: I played through the PC singleplayer and around two hours of multiplayer, and it was totally fine. No crippling framerate or connectivity issues at all.

Posted by nmarchan

Treyarch > Infinity Ward

Yeah, I said it.

Posted by AngeTheDude

Looks like another solid Cawadoody game. I'll wait for some kind of sale. Anyone know how the PC version turned out?

Posted by RedRoach

@HellBound said:

No they weren't, there was no matchmaking for them in MW3.

Edited by AjayRaz

@Anund said:

I've never had an interest in the CoD games but the story in the Black Ops games look interesting. I may have to pick up the first one, it should come in at a decent price now right? Is the single player campaign worth it?

the single player is pretty alright. it's definitely a departure from the Call of Duty games before it as far as the story and twists go. i had a good time playing through it and seeing the story and events unfold. playing through it again recently though, made me realize some of the rougher edges of it. Sam Worthington's voice work as Alex Mason (protagonist) isn't great (although it has gotten better somewhat in BLOPSII) and some of the scripting and stuff looks pretty rough, but it's still a fun ride for what it is, even if the ending soured me on the entire thing.

i saw it for like 30$ used at EB when i was picking up black ops ii yesterday. for 30$, i don't know if a 6-8 hour, linear, scripted campaign is worth the price tag, but it's something you should play if you plan on playing black ops ii's campaign, if anything, to make some of the events more impactful. Activision aren't all that fond of price drops on Call of Duty games. it would probably make for a nice rent.

..is renting still a thing?

Posted by KlUMZeE

Looks pretty good, but I'll only get it if some of my friends wind up getting it, since I'd only really be interested in playing with them.

Posted by mewarmo990

This is the first Call of Duty I've bought since MW2 (blah), and the first one I've liked since CoD4.

I think people have forgotten that CoD used to be a great single player game before it became the domain of twitchy homophobic racists on Xbox Live. 1 and 2 pretty much carried the entire WW2 shooter fad, and no other game did the "epic military shooter campaign" quite like Infinity Ward. 4 did a lot of great things for the FPS genre, but I'm not a fan of how they just rehashed the same game year after year.

So I got this to see if the magic was back. I think it is. Treyarch did a good job. First time playing zombie mode and it gets a little old, so I still prefer the Spec Ops missions from MW2. Episodic release format like Halo 4's Spartan Ops would have been a good idea.

Posted by SmasheControllers

Picked this and Halo 4 up... gonna do some shooting.

Posted by Anund

I've never had an interest in the CoD games but the story in the Black Ops games look interesting. I may have to pick up the first one, it should come in at a decent price now right? Is the single player campaign worth it?

Posted by umdesch4

@HerbieBug said:

I suppose a lot of it has to do with this being the first generation of game consoles that has comprehensive online functionality. Shooters work well with multiplayer, whole new audience has easy access to multiplayer in their living rooms, current fad shooter is popular.

Another good reason why these games are not for me. I watch the killcams and go "that's not even close to what happened!". If you were playing FPSs in the 90s, you were probably at a lot of LAN parties with near-zero ping times. That's how I did most of my hardcore multiplayer. There was no predictive netcode, and no need for it. What you did, and what the guy down the hall from you saw on his screen were identical. The explosion of an RPG hit or a grenade going off came out of everyone's speakers at exactly the same time. The cursing was typically done from a physical distance of only a few feet...and then you'd all take a break to crack some beers together. The winner of a nightly tournament would typically go home with the rest of the unopened beers in the place when we quit at 6AM, or sometimes it was a money pot (a dozen guys, and sometimes gals, chipping in a $20 each usually made for a nice $240 pot).

Geez, I dunno where I was going with this, other than a trip down nostalgia lane. Ah well...

Posted by umdesch4

@wapostyle said:

I was completely bored with this style of game in 1999. How is this still popular?

The biggest diehards for this game (and it's more recent predecessors), everyone I know who plays it religiously, everyone I've heard on xbox live, and everyone I saw standing in the longest line I've seen in years when I went to pick up my nephew's copy today (not to mention my nephew himself)...are 13-year-olds.

They were born in 1999.

That's not to say it's a game for kids, or that there aren't a lot of adults who like it. Hell, I don't think it's that bad either, but I agree. If by 1999, you'd spent as many years playing FPSs as I did, I can understand the burnout. This game is not for you.

Edited by HerbieBug

@wapostyle said:

I was completely bored with this style of game in 1999. How is this still popular?

I suppose a lot of it has to do with this being the first generation of game consoles that has comprehensive online functionality. Shooters work well with multiplayer, whole new audience has easy access to multiplayer in their living rooms, current fad shooter is popular. A large chunk of that new audience is of a younger generation as well, unfamiliar with the extensive history, young enough not to be burned out on it yet.

Your standard xbox live racist foul mouthed 13 year old was born right around the date you cite. So it goes.

Posted by spiceninja

@captain_clayman said:

I think i'm ready for another COD. I took a year off and didn't bother with mw3, so it actually sounds kind of appealing right now.

Me too. The last one I played was BLOPS and I think it's the best one in the series. I'm ready for more BLOPS.

Posted by HellBound

Posted by captain_clayman

I think i'm ready for another COD. I took a year off and didn't bother with mw3, so it actually sounds kind of appealing right now.

Posted by SpecDotSign

Knife Party = Bawse.

Posted by honkyjesus

Anyone wanting a great review for a big game no matter what the quality of the game GameTrailers and IGN got your back.

Posted by Jdiggity88

@wapostyle said:

I'm right there with ya, but I always come back to it, every year. This game (from the few hours I've played so far) seems to take enough of a step to make it a little more interesting. I usually pick call of duty up because it's what all my friends will be playing for at least a few months, but Black Ops two seems more accessible and easy to keep coming back too.

Posted by wapostyle

Posted by JoelTGM

I forgot I had it preordered from EB Games, so I bought it today, and oh my god I am getting raped online like I've never been before. Forget the score streaks I just try to get a kill before dying now.

Posted by zymbo

@nail1080 said:

@Thor_Molecules said:

Lol, Jeff going "look at this huge open area", while it's in fact still a tiny corridor only restricted by invisible walls instead of the usual rubble and debris.

lol indeed becoming senile!

**Now leaving combat area** LoL....I thought, yeah, another modern (corridor) shooter.

Posted by _CyKeR_

Bling Blong Mission Hill

Posted by BlackPeople

Think I'm gonna buy this.

Posted by sear

@DoctorWelch said:

@sear: A lot of my friends are bought this game, and while playing it with them last night I kind of jokingly made fun of them for paying $60 for the same game that came out two years ago. Then again, some of my friends only buy shooters and sports games, so $60 a year for your anual shooter isn't too much to ask for if you don't play much else.

Also, I understand you're probably kind of angry at the stupid people who buy these games year after year, as well as the "critics" that are supposed to hold companies responsible for this sleazy shit. I feel similarly, so I understand where your post is coming from, but there's no way you could have expected to get intelligent, calm, rational responses from people on the internet with the way you wrote that thing.

I'm never surprised by the idiocy of the average consumer, but I am a little surprised that reviewers and critics are, year after year, okay with a company putting out the same game with a new $60 price tag. However, this is a whole other discussion about the difference between consumer buying advice and real criticism that would take thousands of words to properly discuss.

So, even though your post is on the right track, there's no way that post, or any post of that length, will ever insite anything but ridicule. Especially when it's in the comments section of an internet video.

Thank you very much for your frank and earnest response.

Long story short: I'm fucking tired of the games industry and disillusioned at how fucking shit it is, and how fucking corrupt those that cover it are (did you hear that Eurogamer.fr's Black Ops 2 review was done by an ex-Activision PR manager by the way?).

Also, I spend a lot of time at RPG Codex, so I'm kind of used to talking in a completely trolololo fashion because it's normal there. But at least it does get some entertaining butthurt responses from people on this site. :D

Posted by yesac2004

What good are those speed boats on the deck?

Posted by BPRJCTX

Posted by jeffrud

@core1065 said:

DEAR GOD!!! SAVIMBI LOOKS LIKE BLACK RYAN DAVIS!!!

God damn you for pointing this out.

Posted by RichieJohn

I always think these games look fun but when I actually try them I can't get into them at all.

I'm cool with that.

Edited by FZackM

@BRNK said:

The lethality of the weapons in CoD games along with the importance of killstreaks does not eliminate the skill gap, it simply emphasizes map and match flow knowledge over individual encounter tactics. If being a pro in Halo means being able to effectively pair and use weapons for the situation, then being a pro in CoD means knowing when and where your enemies are likely to be.

It's ridiculous to claim that CoD has no skill gap. You are silly.

Sure, it's still there but it's much smaller in comparison to something like Halo, UT, or Quake.

I don't really feel like there's a lot to improve on skill-wise in a CoD game, once you learn the maps you're kind of set. Good aiming and tracking aren't needed because ADS snaps to targets and they die in about 2 to 3 rapid fire shots, so it ends up being more about twitch aim and reflexes. You also need map knowledge in Halo as well, along with knowledge and control of weapon spawns and the like. I really feel like CoD is just more random, especially with the fucking crazy killstreaks all over the place.

I still think that it's much easier to just jump into a CoD game and do well in comparison to some of the other games I mentioned. I've really only been playing CoD on and off since 4 and even I can jump into MW2, Blops, or MW3 (all of which I played for less than a few weeks with friends) and go highly positive without really trying, and on top of that I'm also terrible at aiming with a controller.

On the other hand, I recently picked up Halo 4 and am having a much harder time doing well in it, since long range weapons that require precise aim like the BR, DMR, and Carbine dominate as opposed to rapid fire short range spray weapons like CoD's SMGs, ARs, and LMGs.

Posted by jettpack

i guess i'm glad they made those changes to the campaign. I split a copy 3 ways with some friends. But honestly, it doesn't matter how much they change the peripheral stuff around the core shooting, I'm just tired of it. Like, i don't wanna be pulling LT, RT in that Cod kind of way anymore. I don't want a shooter that does the constant explosions, and i don't wanna be led by the hand they way Cod does it anymore.

Idk, i guess they should keep making cod if they do a good job and people still want it, but i think this is my last one.

Posted by nail1080

@Thor_Molecules said:

Lol, Jeff going "look at this huge open area", while it's in fact still a tiny corridor only restricted by invisible walls instead of the usual rubble and debris.

lol indeed becoming senile!

Edited by MjHealy

I could listen to Jeff's impression to the Call of Duty "level up" shred all day long. This seems like another good CoD game, perhaps I will purchase it.

AW DIP, MICHAEL ROOKER

Posted by core1065

DEAR GOD!!! SAVIMBI LOOKS LIKE BLACK RYAN DAVIS!!!