272 Comments
Edited by ChrisRankin1966

In my opinion the Zombies in the video didn't seem to be spawning in front of you, but were in fact coming out of hatches, other rooms or vents. There seemed to be warning signs, like clouds of dust from the ceiling of the elevator for example.

Plus the Zombies are attracted by noise so using the standard pistol or carbine, results in more Zombies joining the fight. Hence the silenced pistol.crossbow being available. I've only played the demo but keeping quiet did seem important. I died a lot when I tried to start shooting as all the nearby Zombies would appear, but I could snipe them individually with silenced pistol or crossbow.

I believe the mine exploded as it was possibly placed to close to a dancing Zombie, or possibly Patrick moved too fast after laying the mine, he seemed to be running backwards and pulling the gun before the mine was laid properly. It can be thrown and this may have been what happened due to running backwards mid lay.

Dealing with the dancing Zombies instead of sneaking past was probably a good idea as the music and disco lights would possibly have stopped at the worst possible moment. Also my guess is if you kill the DJ the disco stops and you have to deal with the remaining Zombies. The Zombies are only ignoring you and the flare because of the lights and music .

When I buy the game I will try to remember to check out some different strategies in the Zombie disco. :)

Posted by Sbaitso

Patrick's second character kind of looks like a pre diet Gary Whitta. It's a little weird.

Posted by mewarmo990

@glyn said:

So is a kamikaze run a legitimate strategy in Zombie U? Trap all the Zombie in a room and blow yourself up. Seems like bad game design if their are no consequences.

It's resource-limited, I think. You probably don't come across explosives (freaking land mine!) particularly often - in this case it was a good idea to save it for a group that would have been almost impossible to fight conventionally.

Posted by insomniak08

Not going to lie. If you are planning on buying a Wii U solely for this game, then you are most likely going to be disappointed. The game is not bad mind you (my fav out of the games I got which were NSMBU, Nintendo Land, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Black Ops 2 and Zombi U), I just don't think it is worth buying the system for. Unless you are a major gaming nerd who just has to have the new console ASAP I would probably not recommend buying the Wii U right now.

Posted by FreakGirl

This game is the reason why I have to get the WiiU as soon as possible xD

Posted by Rox360

Heh, god... I forgive Patrick for mistaking the carbine for a shotgun in his inventory, but making the same mistake in the upgrade screen, and when trying to increase the spread, instead decreased it from 3.25 to 2.60 without realizing it... That's a bit much! And it's been pointed out, but I also caught the use of "risk reward" which is a bit inappropriate when talking about the inventory... For it to be risk and reward, there has to be a lower risk alternative that also has a lower reward. I'm pretty sure this game doesn't have an alternative to accessing the inventory...

Game itself looks surprisingly engaging, though! Even if I can't find any trace of the supposed roguelike-ness oh god why do these guys say so many things that are so difficult to not talk about when trying to stay on topic

Posted by Tiago

@Cusseta:

What are you thinking?

Posted by Cusseta

What was Nintendo thinking? Who's grandmother is going to play this?

Posted by niftymcnift

@bendz: I am the same .... I loved dark souls , and I love zombies but theres something about the infront spawns that appear in this video that bother me..

Posted by bendz

I'm still undecided on this game. Decisions decisions...

Posted by Boopie

is it the source engine?

Posted by maskedarcstrike

Watching Patrick play games is just as frustrating as watching young Brad. Game looks really interesting though.

Posted by FuzzYLemoN

Fuuuck. My dream game exists as an exclusive for a platform that I otherwise want nothing to do with.

Edited by deerokus

I'm Scottish and have never seen a washing machine in a bathroom, but I am fairly sure it's not uncommon, probably in other parts of the UK. Bathrooms are far too small in my city (Glasgow). To emphasise the point, In one flat I lived in the washing machine was in a hall cupboard.

Americans must have massive houses!

This game seems a bit boring. Also, that dirty lens effect is silly in a first person game. Are your eyes supposed to be filthy?

Posted by g00ber

Is the sensitivity on 0? How on earth can you play like that? Especially when this game seems to be an "Oh shit I just heard something behind me..." kind of game. Painful watching that.

Posted by Shovat

@vermin_king: When they shortened the barrel?

Posted by Ekpyroticuniverse

Ok to settle this whole dumb debate.

Reason for bathroom washing machines is simple. Most of the buildings in the UK were built before inside toilets were a common feature. So large apartment blocks for example it is easier to plumb in one room all major new water works instead of a new bathroom (usually in a spare bedroom) and then another set of major works in the Kitchen area. In some areas what this means is that either economic reasons or access to pipes and stuff means for some bathroom was the best place for the plumbing for washing machines. In older Victorian houses not really the case and most washing machines are found in the kitchen.

Posted by Alphazero

Looks cool. Glad WiiU has this one.

That said, not interested in games with no light. I have enough trouble seeing things as is.

Posted by pwnmachine

fuckU

Edited by Kosayn

'Jhombieux.'

I remember Eternal Darkness tempting me to get a Gamecube because it looked so different from other survival horror games at the time. This game is similarly appealing, though it's on the opposite end in terms of storytelling style.

Posted by ArbitraryWater

This game looks like something I could play and enjoy. If I ever get a Wii-U, I guess I know what to get.

Posted by cannedstingray

@SavageM2: @SavageM2 said:

@bluecollaralaskan said:

Patrick, your "shotgun" is a bolt action rifle.

m4 carbine I think

which is why it has no spread and you were missing with it

Not that it matters, nor do I know much about guns, but is the M4 Carbine a bolt action rifle? Or is it that kind of bolt action rifle? Looks like an Enfield.

I'm sure you are right, I don't know much at all bout guns and had a feeling I was wrong when I wrote it, at any rate I thought it was kinda that he was calling what was clearly an old rifle, a "shotgun"

Posted by joelalfaro

Awesome!

Posted by dropabombonit

Patrick blowing himself up made me lol for ages

Posted by glyn

So is a kamikaze run a legitimate strategy in Zombie U? Trap all the Zombie in a room and blow yourself up. Seems like bad game design if their are no consequences.

Posted by Tsuchikage

"Zambies!" would have been a much better name for this game.

ZombiU has been getting really bad reviews--GameSpot gave it a 4.5. It doesn't look completely awful, though, from what I've seen in this Quick Look.

Edited by MeatSim

All citizens of Britain receive a standard issue unbreakable, Cricket bat.

Edited by bybeach

The clipping in this game is amusing..Yeah, use it to your advantage. I myself have killled enemies through wallls in the past..and gottten nailled too. I always resented that.

edit,carbine not a shotgun...smoothbore rifle?...I forget.

Posted by ElementsofTony

Got my Wii U yesterday, got Mario and Scribblenauts for the fam, trying to figure which game I want to get for me. Thinking this or Darksiders 2. Missed the livestream yesterday hopefully the duders took a look at that too.

Posted by Romination

I thought the graphics were pretty good, but then again, I always think the game looks really good when they're bashing it and really bad when they're praising it (just in terms of visuals). I don't know, man.

Posted by lowestformofwit

Damn this looks way better than I was expecting.

Looks like it's the Condemned of the WiiU launch titles. Good job Ubisoft, you've actually made me want to get this console now. I'll pick it up in a couple of years when the silly prices drop.

Posted by gamergutz

@Xymox said:

This actually looked okay. I'd get a Wii U for it.

Im wit ya homie (Eminem voice)... Seriously though, i agree, i would buy a Wii U for this but im afraid this will be a timed exclusive. I would hate to buy this and then several month later they release it on PS3 or 360.

Posted by Xymox

This actually looked okay. I'd get a Wii U for it.

Posted by Rodent

Hmmm...the game looks pretty good, that said I'm not sure if it was just the quality of the stream I was getting (720p) but the graphics didn't look all that impressive. They kinda looked like something the original Xbox could have done or at least something the 360 and PS3 could've done at launch.

I'll keep my eye on this game but there are 2 main reasons I wouldn't run out and get it right now.

1. Probably the most important and that is I don't as of yet own a Wii U (and this isn't IMO a killer app for the console).

2. I just finished playing Dead Island (25+ hrs) and the last thing I wanna do is jump back into another zombie game right away.

As for the QL itself, Patrick said something about the game having outside sections. That might've be something nice to have seen cause I got pretty bored of looking at the same dull 4 walls for most of that QL.

Posted by AiurFlux

This is going to be an incredibly polarizing game to be honest. There are mixed opinions on both sides and I personally am on the negative frown town side. On one hand there is fun to be had and it's a game ass game in that it doesn't fuck around so much with a narrative or anything else but just says, "Here's a bunch of dudes, go kill shit." On the other hand though it looks fucking terrible for a system with hardware that's supposed to be superior to both the other consoles out right now. The textures are insanely low fidelity at times and things just clip through fucking walls. The control is incredibly clunky to the point of wanting to take that big tablet thing and throw it against the wall like a fucking Frisbee. And at times the sound is just grating.

If people like it then fine but it just screams of Red Steel to me. In no way should it be a system seller like it's being touted as and most certainly in no way should this be in some eyes the best launch game of the lot. It isn't good enough. Nintendo is 8 years behind the fucking curve with what is essentially a placeholder console to tide people over until the true next generation comes out. Dead Island, for all it's bugs, felt like a better game. Left 4 Dead IS a better game. Zombies have been done to death. Mediocrity isn't good enough. Ubisoft can suck the big one.

Posted by jennoa

This is the first game for Wii U that has even slightly piqued my interest.

Posted by DoctorWelch

I want a Wii U...and I don't know why...

Posted by Sammo21

Why does that zombie look like a broken china doll?

Posted by DiGiTaL_SiN

I don't like Patrick joking about the new Endurance Run, kinda like rubbing salt in an open wound. I want a new ER with Vinny and Jeff :-(

Posted by DjDonFrancisco

Whoa whoa whoa. This looks pretty cool. Glad Ubisoft was able to make a "unique"game for the Wii U's launch. Good on them.

Edited by xMrSunshine

@SavageM2 said:

@bluecollaralaskan said:

m4 carbine I think

Not that it matters, nor do I know much about guns, but is the M4 Carbine a bolt action rifle? Or is it that kind of bolt action rifle? Looks like an Enfield.

M4 carbine is definitely not a bolt action rifle. It's a gas-operated assault rifle with different fire modes. Lee-Enfield would definitely be my guess as well though it's hard to see because of the really dark video and super bad flashlight.

E: Well the upgrade screen says the rifle is a No. 4 Mk1 Carbine which is a type of Lee-Enfield.

I'm all for darkness in games as an atmospheric thing but when it gets in your way that much, it's always there and your flashlight is so shit that it just makes it claustrophobic and results in you whipping the camera around a whole bunch when just trying to figure out your surroundings. Maybe it's not as bad when the game is on your TV and you're playing it since Patrick seemed to not use the flashlight all the time even though it recharges to quickly.

Zombies also take waaaaaay too many hits from melee weapons for it to be fun. It just looks frustrating. I like the Dark/Demon's Souls way it handles death even though it means there's probably not going to be a lot of interesting characters in the game and the mechanic doesn't make a whole lot of sense in this context but that hardly matters.

The whole mine situation was kinda silly. Seems weird that it says in the description that it explodes on contact but then it blew up even when there wasn't anything on it but just near it. I guess at the point where Patrick just went past the first zombie and none of the other zombies reacted to the flare, he probably should've gotten the hint that maybe you can sneak past them.

Posted by DeathbyYeti

"Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls...with zombies"

Posted by BlockPunch

Reviews for this game are well and truly mixed. Please review it, GiantBomb. You're opinion is the deal sealer.

Edited by vinsanityv22

Can the Wii U help make zombies less completely shitty and overused and uninteresting and non-threatening? Probably not! In fact, I already know the answer, because GameInformer already put up their review! But still, let's find out... in Quick Look form! :)

EDIT: I like how Patrick makes a habit of mentioning his special new in-game tablet, with the radar blips, early on. Then proceeds to be surprised by zombies constantly, completely ignoring the blips. lol.

Posted by MachoFantastico

This looks like the best thing going for the Wii U right now, interesting Quick Look.

Not a fan of the inventory stuff though.

Posted by RanmaRanma

@RubberFactory: I'm sorry, but your opinion sucks.

Edited by jasondesante

GB,

Zombi is a movie by George Romero, A.K.A Dawn Of The Dead

Zombie Flesh Eaters is an alternative title for the British series.

Zombi is a 1986 Ubisoft game.

Thats why its called ZombiU, by Ubisoft, and in London.

Edited by SavageM2

@bluecollaralaskan said:

m4 carbine I think

Posted by iamian

I hope you get a more powerful melee weapon at some point. Having to wail on enemies that many times with the cricket bat seems kinda tedious.

Posted by Labman

@Skunkboy72 said:

totally not a shotgun Patrick.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice that!