Even though I've been playing video games for most of my life, I have had very little experience with the Final Fantasy series. I once played about 15 hours into XIII a while back and that's about it. So, a couple months ago, I took it upon myself to play all of the numbered Final Fantasy games. This may seem crazy, but it’s actually rather tame. The rules I defined for myself were:
- The versions I play will be whichever ones I can get my hands on the easiest.
- I don’t have to play the MMO’s.
- I don’t have to get 100% completion.
- I have to read/ pay attention to all the text/dialogue they throw at me.
- I can use game guides, because I want to actually finish these older ones.
The games and versions I plan to play are as follows:
- Final Fantasy I (iOS)
- Final Fantasy II (iOS)
- Final Fantasy III (DS)
- Final Fantasy IV (DS)
- Final Fantasy V (PS via PSN)
- Final Fantasy VI (PS via PSN)
- Final Fantasy VII (PS via PSN)
- Final Fantasy VIII (PS via PSN)
- Final Fantasy IX (PS via PSN)
- Final Fantasy X (PS2)
- Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2)
- Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
- Final Fantasy XIII (X360)
- Final Fantasy XII-2 (X360)
- Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns (X360) (when it's released)
As of right now I am about halfway through Final Fantasy III. I'm gonna write my impressions of these games from the view of someone going in cold and with next to zero investment in or nostalgia for the series. Hopefully this will be interesting. If you've played a lot of these games and want to say mean things about my views on them, feel free to do so.