178 Comments
  • 178 results
Posted by IzzyGraze

My guess is that the monster isn't real. That it's just a hallucination from your disease.

Posted by Driadon

I thought this was another Dear Esther, but am pleasantly surprised. I love me survival games, so this looks much more up my alley

Posted by Krakn3Dfx

I had a bloody nose driving to work one day and was out of tissue. My hands did not look unlike the ones in this game.

Posted by alienjones

Haha, the first note is from Dagless to Sanchez.

Posted by Fleck0

Holy crap the screen tearing is ridiculous in this game! Can anyone confirm if there's a V-sync option?

Posted by mason

Up my alley.

There were hints of this kind of experience with Far Cry 2, which is what attracted me to that game in the first place, but dealing with the constant aggression got in the way of that feel of exploration and survival. In the end, Minecraft filled this need more than FC2 could. If I'm honest, I think I enjoy pathfinding and crafting more than actual combat in games.

Posted by Robaota

@alienjones: This is the very last place I'd expect to see some Darkplace.

Posted by Mathey

Really like the look of this. I think there's a lot to be said for straight up virtual exploration in a unique space, with or without a boogeyman.

Posted by alienjones

@Robaota said:

Darkplace should be posted everywhere, and enjoyed by all (and to a lesser extent, Man To Man).

Posted by Osaladin

I don't like doing school work in games.

Posted by Luck702

This looks super interesting to me. I love the navigation mechanic. Might pick this up soon.

Posted by happymeowmeow

Glad you did a QL of this, seems very cool.

Posted by Sin4profit

@37:21 - When you drink water your canteen automatically fills, you just don't get an animation for it when drinking from lakes.

Posted by subactuality

Grabbed this yesterday and it's really fun so far, it has a great mix of relaxed pacing and a sense of imminent peril. Also it deserves at least one full letter grade bonus for the Garth Marenghi's Darkplace references in the names of the doctors you read about.

Posted by Robaota

@alienjones said:

@Robaota said:

Darkplace should be posted everywhere, and enjoyed by all (and to a lesser extent, Man To Man).

...Man, I've got no plans this weekend. I'm absolutely going to have to marathon this aren't I?

Posted by Jams

@Sin4profit said:

@37:21 - When you drink water your canteen automatically fills, you just don't get an animation for it when drinking from lakes.

"canteena" - Patrick

Posted by ptys

Maybe use some of that water to wash your hands!!!!!

Posted by buckybit

Educational Upgrade:

Miasmata - from the Greek "Miasma" (Wikipedia link)

Edited by kerse

Who needs that knife anyways?

I wish I had a lot of time to sink into games like this. I feel like I'm just rushing through the story of games these days.

Posted by Pepperooni

Hooray for Darkplace!

Edited by HassaniSabbah

@Jams said:

@Sin4profit said:

"canteena" - Patrick

I believe he's saying "cantina," which isn't any less wrong, but at least it's a real word.

Is this a common mistake? Normally I wouldn't say anything because I don't want to be a pedantic dick, but maybe Patrick doesn't know. He also says "verse" instead of "versus" for some reason and it drives me bonkers.

This game reminds me of Trespasser, but (seemingly) not terrible.

Posted by PimblyCharles

The water in this reminds me of Morrowind, and that's awesome

Posted by dedrek
"This game has a strict adherence to reality."
Patrick lights a candle by gesturing at it.
Posted by AlKusanagi

It never usually bothers me, but this QL made me motion sick as fuck.

Posted by Rox360

Patrick's reaction to being lost does not please my orienteering brain... I don't normally run around with a map or compass, but I do like exploring my surroundings both in games and in real life, and as soon as feel like I've over/undershot something and no longer know exactly where I am on my map (mental or physical), I pick a direction that I can fact check with. Last time I did it in real life, my exact thought process was, "Oh man, I've never been this far along this path. I think I'm heading south? The coast should be west of here, but I don't know how far. I'll go southwest until I can see water and then I should be able to spot a landmark inland from there and know how far I've walked." I also do the same virtually every time I play Minecraft!

I don't know exactly how Patrick found his way back to the water he was trying to keep to his left, but it didn't make me feel particularly secure. Awesome looking game, though, I love this kinda stuff.

Edited by spiceninja

Here's a video for those wanting to know what the creature looks like.

Posted by klydewaggsdale

This made me want to check and see if their was an orienteering game out there. Found one called "Catching Features". It has a demo and actually looks like a pretty active community..although the game visuals are pretty bad I like the concept. Would love to see a game like this on a current engine. Anyone with me on this??

Edited by vanfarley

@PlasmaBeam44: That Russian guy's commentary is the best! SPOILER "He looks like- I don't remember- this cat from Kung-Fu Panda 2"

Posted by guynamedbilly

I really like the Drew/Patrick quick looks. It's nice to occasionally have people who are actually interested in the games and not constantly sarcastic.

Posted by PimblyCharles

I love Patrick's enthusiasm towards lesser known & indie games. This is one I would have missed otherwise, so thanks!

Edited by alienjones

@Robaota said:

@alienjones said:

@Robaota said:

...Man, I've got no plans this weekend. I'm absolutely going to have to marathon this aren't I?

You tell me. Yes, I'll hold (I and you already know the answer).

@Pepperooni said:

Hooray for Darkplace!

You guys are alright.

Posted by Trav

@vanfarley said:

@PlasmaBeam44: That Russian guy's commentary is the best! SPOILER "He looks like- I don't remember- this cat from Kung-Fu Panda 2"

I was thinking the same thing, it really is great. When he just randomly checks his journal while being stalked it was hilarious.

Posted by Death_Burnout

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

Here's a video for those wanting to know what the creature looks like.

Orrrrrr visit the front page of Steam. Sadly.

Posted by vanfarley

@Trav: as we say in Russia: "I'm not coward but I'm afraid", I hope that's actually a real colloquialism there

Posted by joelalfaro

We need to see moreeee!

Thanks guys.

Posted by falling_fast

this is so very close to one of my dream games that I'm studying programming to be able to make one day :]

we should all support this game because it is awesome and I want more games like it.

Posted by Baal_Sagoth

This appears to be most fascinating. The whole QL had me practically glued to the screen. Many of the ideas at display here seem excellent and surprisingly well executed for something this unique. Even though Drew's call to Myst was very apt. That's actually the closest I might have gotten to experiencing something similar. I wonder how psychologically or literally the peculiar title will play out.

Posted by VikG

@PlasmaBeam44: Thanks for linking this :D

Might pick this up sometime on Steam, thanks for the QL guys!

Posted by pdawg17

Can you use an Xbox controller?

Posted by kycinematic

I really wanted them to stumble on the damn monster!

Posted by ZmillA

I don't think I want this game to have a monster. I like what I'm seeing right now, I don't need tension for the sake of tension.

Posted by Bunnyman

Judging from the still image, the old trick of finding north using your wrist watch does not seem to work in this game. Well, if the character is on the southern hemisphere it looks pretty close to correct. I might be wrong about this, or perhaps the game makers were not able to implement that feature. (The character has a compass after all.)

Posted by ShadowConqueror

Oh hey, I supported this game on Greenlight. Awesome.

Posted by blacklab

The Donny Rumsfeld comment was classic!

Edited by skelington_

Have Patrick and Drew ever done a QL together before? They make a pretty great team! Kudos, guys.

@dedrek said:

"This game has a strict adherence to reality."
Patrick lights a candle by gesturing at it.

"...Or the reality it has created for itself"

Made me laugh!

Posted by Roger_Klotz

The little chemistry/Biology lab sequence is what sold me on this game.

Posted by mellotronrules

@alienjones said:

@Robaota said:

@alienjones said:

@Robaota said:

You tell me. Yes, I'll hold (I and you already know the answer).

@Pepperooni said:

Hooray for Darkplace!

You guys are alright.

you're all...buddies. aren't you?

Posted by liako21

really wanted to see that monster pop up

Posted by MURDERSMASH

This is a really intriguing game. I'll have to pick this up.

Posted by Sessh

Looks pretty interesting and I think it has a great eerie atmosphere.

Somehow this is one of these games, where I'd love to see them play to the end.

• 178 results