138 Comments
  • 138 results
Posted by Terramagi

So after picking this game up and playing through roughly half of the campaign, I'm pretty sure there's a good reason for fictionalizing Richard Nixon.

As in, they would get sued if they didn't.

Posted by heythisisgandhi

God, do I love this game. Glad to see a quick look for it!

Posted by Divina_Rex

@MaddProdigy said:

@Divina_Rex: Well that's not a bug that didn't make it past QA, that's just how the game works. Your workers need close proximity to their work, entertainment, and religion. If there isn't housing near it, they will shack up.

I didn't say it was a bug. I said I the little people in the game won't take advantage of mass transit.

Posted by CharAznable

@Aquavelvaman said:

Rock rot or rule? Best Show reference?

Wait, wuuuuuuuuuuuuut...?

Posted by MaddProdigy

@Divina_Rex: Well that's not a bug that didn't make it past QA, that's just how the game works. Your workers need close proximity to their work, entertainment, and religion. If there isn't housing near it, they will shack up.

Posted by Poorman4444

Why is Miss Pineapple's head so freaking gigantic?

Posted by tablefloor

Take the fun outta Mexico

Posted by natetodamax

From my experience with the game, it's not really necessary to appease every single faction (on the default difficulty at least). I've had islands where I've completely ignored both the religious and environment factions and did very well. What's important is satisfying basic needs and having a really good economy.

Posted by Dezztroy

If you're interested in the game and have a decent PC, it is pretty much guaranteed to be in the Steam christmas sale for maybe $7.50 with all DLC included.

Posted by Branthog

@m2cks said:

@Branthog said:

I haven't watched the video, yet, but . . . why are we doing a Quick Look for a game that came out almost a year and a half ago? If it's just for kicks, we should come up with a new category/feature for these. Like... Delayed Looks or something.

Perhaps that's why you should watch the video first then :P. They address this by stating how it had just came out on the Xbox 360 as the "Gold Edition", making it new even though it had came out on the PC a while ago.

On the 360 . . . that's nuts.

Posted by m2cks

@Branthog said:

I haven't watched the video, yet, but . . . why are we doing a Quick Look for a game that came out almost a year and a half ago? If it's just for kicks, we should come up with a new category/feature for these. Like... Delayed Looks or something.

Perhaps that's why you should watch the video first then :P. They address this by stating how it had just came out on the Xbox 360 as the "Gold Edition", making it new even though it had came out on the PC a while ago.

Posted by Branthog

Posted by Will_M

Some nice merengue and salsa in this game. Takes me back

Posted by shep9toes

Same sex marriage activated!

Posted by Undeadpool

@Rexicon said:

As the child of Cuban refugees, this game makes me feel weird.

My fiancee works at a left-wing archive cataloging movements, protests, and various other things. Her boss was a political prisoner for several years who tells a meaaaaaan story. She too feels weird about this game.

Posted by Rexicon

As the child of Cuban refugees, this game makes me feel weird.

Posted by Aquavelvaman

Rock rot or rule? Best Show reference?

Posted by Fattony12000

@BisonHero said:

@Porkellain said:

Uh, kinda late as QL, isn't it?

Edit:

@LD50 said:

]]]]

@Fattony12000 said:

!

Dem quest attempts.

I still love the people who shamefully delete their comment when they realize they weren't first.

I completely don't remember that. I had "Totally Tropical!" all ready to go from what I recall. There was already a quote on the page as I remember, although, I am highly biased in this regard. Curse this flawed quote system!

@BisonHero said:

I hate people with brown hair.

Posted by BisonHero

@Porkellain said:

Uh, kinda late as QL, isn't it?

Edit:

@LD50 said:

]]]]

@Fattony12000 said:

!

Dem quest attempts.

I still love the people who shamefully delete their comment when they realize they weren't first.

Posted by seanord

21 minutes in...is it fun?

Posted by pandaeskimo

Tropican't you see me through the cloudy sky? Can't you see it in my eyes?

Posted by coribald

@dropabombonit said:

These types of games are not for me but really digging the music in this game. Anyone know where I can get the soundtrack

Any episode of Dexter?

Posted by Subjugation

Wow, the forehead of that same-sex marriage chick was HUUUUGE.

Posted by HerbieBug

@Gerhabio said:

@HerbieBug said:

Will the game allow me to hire a series of mariachi troupes to stand on every street corner in town and play Guantanamera every day all hours all the time forever?

Mariachi = Mexican

Guajira = Cuban

Guantanamera is a guajira song, though if your were a dictator, I'm sure you could have mariachis play it anyway, haha.

Oh I know. If you go to any touristy location in Mexico you'll find mariachi's playing that song constantly. Tourists don't care about the technicality of the song being Cuban.

Posted by artofwar420

@NeVeRMoRe666: fuck yes; the perfect music for dictatin'

Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam

Promise to fund everyone's pet social programs and lower taxes? Oh, Ryan Davis, I knew you had it in you to be a politician.

Posted by Nerolus

Put fluoride in the water.

Posted by insane_shadowblade85

@CDUBBE said:

Did watching this make anyone else hungry for Mexican food? The soundtrack just reminds me of a Mexican restaurant and now I'm hungry. Maaaaan.

It actually made me want Cuban food but I don't want to drive to get it. Soooo laaaazy.

Posted by beard_of_zeus

I had the same experience with Tropico 3 as Jeff. Played it once or twice, thought "hey, this is kinda cool!" and then never came back. This sequel seems pretty similar.

Posted by ttocs

I always start playing Tropico games and I get obsessed with them. Then all of a sudden, I stop. No idea why this game does that to me.

Posted by CDUBBE

Did watching this make anyone else hungry for Mexican food? The soundtrack just reminds me of a Mexican restaurant and now I'm hungry. Maaaaan.

Posted by Rolyatkcinmai

@Phished0ne said:

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy would you put a garbage dump so close to your cityyy?

I agree in theory, but technically he didn't. The red area was the area that needed one. He placed one directly outside of the red area, making it completely useless lol.

Posted by Spekingur

@Hsizzay: On the PC quite a few interface issues were fixed between the two version making the gaming experience better.

If you are new to the series I would suggest getting Tropico 4 rather than Tropico 3.

Posted by Hsizzay

Looks disappointingly similar to Tropico 3 (which I picked up on a Steam sale for super cheap), both mechanically and visually. Mechanics look nearly identical with some additions around the edges and some slightly better presentation. All the 2D art, like citizens' mugs and edict art and building art looks identical. Looks like a pretty modest iteration.

Posted by NeVeRMoRe666

Is it just me or is the music FANTASTIC?

Posted by Gerhabio

@HerbieBug said:

Will the game allow me to hire a series of mariachi troupes to stand on every street corner in town and play Guantanamera every day all hours all the time forever?

Because that seems like the correct way to go. :)

Mariachi = Mexican

Guajira = Cuban

Guantanamera is a guajira song, though if your were a dictator, I'm sure you could have mariachis play it anyway, haha.

Posted by Menkhor

Greatest. QL Description. Ever.

=D

Edited by ArtisanBreads

@Lockes84 said:

This looks worth checking out. The artwork on the characters is wonderfully grotesque.

The artwork for the advisors totally reminds me of Road Rash for the PS1.

It's a pretty fun game. Played it early in the year. Watching this really makes me just want the new Sim City.

Posted by thebigJ_A

@LastNinja said:

@thebigJ_A: Hold up, hold up, I got one fresh of the presses from my idle addled mind:

Flesh: Yo, see you later alligator

Bone: No you won't krokodil

I like it!

Posted by Lockes84

This looks worth checking out. The artwork on the characters is wonderfully grotesque.

Posted by LastNinja

@thebigJ_A: Hold up, hold up, I got one fresh of the presses from my idle addled mind:

Flesh: Yo, see you later alligator

Bone: No you won't krokodil

Posted by thebigJ_A

@LastNinja said:

@Kurtdyoung said:

"Cigarettes and Krokodil."

Krokodil is some fucked up shit, and I applaud Jeff for trying to bring it into mainstream humor. The more we know and all that.

Russian bathroom heroin, and it literally rots your flesh to the bone! What's not to like??

Posted by Colourful_Hippie

So now I'm in the mood for a game like this.

Should I buy this or Tropico 3? It'll be the PC version.

Posted by LastNinja

@Kurtdyoung said:

Krokodil is some fucked up shit, and I applaud Jeff for trying to bring it into mainstream humor. The more we know and all that.

Posted by longish

Nice Rock, Rot or Rule reference Ryan. :D

Posted by Kurtdyoung

Posted by Mumrik

@Porkellain said:

@Mumrik: I do! Incredible, isn't it?

No, but I agree.

Posted by beatnik11

I have had the game since it came out and I am sank 160 hours into it and jump back in to play every once in a while so I can say it has more than paid for itself. Its not really the best city builder as far as in-depth building mechanics go but it is a really fun little political leader/dictator simulator that is lighthearted and has a lot of charm. Its not really much of a jump from 3 but there are enough small changes, extra details, and streamlining to make 4 worth a purchase especially now that it can be gotten for cheap. If you can you should definitely get this game for the PC as it really does work a bit better with a m/kb set up but the console version looks totally serviceable

Edited by HerbieBug

Because that seems like the correct way to go. :)

Posted by buzz_killington

Pretty good soundtrack.

• 138 results