138 Comments
  • 138 results
Posted by Mumrik

@Porkellain said:

Uh, kinda late as QL, isn't it?

You don't say

Posted by Divina_Rex

The only issue I have with Tropico 4 is the fact that the people don't wish to commute to work. I have an island with 200 homeless people but 600 open housing spaces available, which they can afford. However, the game wants the NPCs to walk a short distance to work rather than use the Metro System I've spent millions on. So, don't think people would be willing to walk to the metro and then use it to get to work half the island away. They would much rather build a shack next to their work. :/

Posted by jaks

Tropico 4 is broken as fuck. You can build luxury condos and fill them with air conditioning and set the rent to free and no one will move into them. But they will happily pollute your city with shanties and complain about their living conditions. I have no idea how that unbelievable shit made it passed QA.

You can even knock the shacks down and they will just rebuild them and complain about nowhere to live. Meanwhile a dozen luxury towers with free rent sit empty.

Posted by DoctorWelch

@Divina_Rex said:

The only issue I have with Tropico 4 is the fact that the people don't wish to commute to work. I have an island with 200 homeless people but 600 open housing spaces available, which they can afford. However, the game wants the NPCs to walk a short distance to work rather than use the Metro System I've spent millions on. So, don't think people would be willing to walk to the metro and then use it to get to work half the island away. They would much rather build a shack next to their work. :/

That's amazing. It sucks, but still amazing.

Posted by Fredy

When you get access to the watertreatment plant you can actually put "happy powder" in the water, which causes a few deaths each year but increases happiness.

Edited by gbrading

Tropico 4! A game from... 2011?

I have Tropico 3 and love it: Not going to go to Tropico 4 unless there is a great sale on Steam. Great music always. Ryan's crime is so high because I don't think he has any Police Officers.

Posted by VikG

@jaks: I've honestly never had a problem like that or even any transport/commuting issues :-/ Although I must admit that I play almost exclusively in skirmish/god mode, but I can't imagine that would make much difference to scripting issues like that

Posted by Draxyle

Erf, I can't imagine playing a game like this on console. Only Sim City on the SNES was able to pull it off in a decent enough way that I can remember.

This seems like an interesting twist on the city building genre though, I may look for it on steam for cheap down the line.

Posted by TekZero

Tropico, on the Xbox?

Posted by AngelN7

@jaks said:

Tropico 4 is broken as fuck. You can build luxury condos and fill them with air conditioning and set the rent to free and no one will move into them. But they will happily pollute your city with shanties and complain about their living conditions. I have no idea how that unbelievable shit made it passed QA.

You can even knock the shacks down and they will just rebuild them and complain about nowhere to live. Meanwhile a dozen luxury towers with free rent sit empty.

That's hilarious but kinda sad too because how accurate is in describing the mentality of some people in third world countries there's a say "lleva el barrio en la cabeza" wich is somewhat similar to your situation people just preffer to live on their shanties wich I hope that's the intention rather than it be a bug of the game.

Posted by Phished0ne

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy would you put a garbage dump so close to your cityyy?

Posted by AssInAss

All the menus Ryan could ever ask for.

Posted by Impossibilium

@gbrading said:

I have Tropico 3 and love it: Not going to go to Tropico 4 unless there is a great sale on Steam.

That was my reasoning too. Which is why I bought it a couple of weeks ago during the great autumn sale on Steam for $15, with all the DLC and expansions!

Edited by brokenpilot

This made me go buy Tropico 3 on PC. Take that as you will.

Edited by Pr1mus

@Phished0ne said:

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy would you put a garbage dump so close to your cityyy?

Ryan Davis don't care.

Edit: I meant Taswellissimo don't care.

Posted by UltimAXE

Man, what a great soundtrack. A shame that I'm too lazy to play a sim.

Posted by MeAuntieNora

Oh god, Je' Gerstvara... thank you Drew.

Edited by subyman

For some reason I thought they had already QLed this game. I've logged over 60 hours in tropico 4 and loved it. Great game, although it can get buggy towards the end of the campaign. Also, why can't you make bridges!?

Edit: Ewww, 360 version

Posted by Grilledcheez

@gbrading said:

Tropico 4! A game from... 2011?

I have Tropico 3 and love it: Not going to go to Tropico 4 unless there is a great sale on Steam. Great music always. Ryan's crime is so high because I don't think he has any Police Officers.

There are always great sales during the holiday ones, I recently picked up the base game for 6 bucks...all the dlc was discounted too but I didn't get it yet.

Posted by LiquidPrince

This game looks so addicting! Endure this?

Edited by Brendan

I played 190 hours of the original Tropico. I know that's not a lot for some of you people that play Skyrim for 360 hours somehow (how do you even do that?) but it puts Tropico in the list for influential games during my lifetime. I'm playing the shit out of Tropico 3, albeit at a slower pace, so I don't feel the need to play 4 right now.

Edited by joeshabadoo

hahahahahaha, 'hey cops, here's a big fucking garbage heap right behind your building. we value everything you're doing for our city'

also anyone who likes this soundtrack should just look in to some salsa or merengue. Like ANY salsa or merengue. It's certainly pleasant, but there's nothing inherently original/unique about it

Posted by 93The_Ace

Anything to avoid that NeverDead QL, eh?

Posted by mrcalifonte

@sixpin: (karate yell)

Posted by outerabiz

Drugs would have solved all of your issues.

Posted by gaminghooligan

@Draxyle said:

Erf, I can't imagine playing a game like this on console. Only Sim City on the SNES was able to pull it off in a decent enough way that I can remember.

This seems like an interesting twist on the city building genre though, I may look for it on steam for cheap down the line.

You could get 3 on the cheap, it's basically the same game. I like tropico because it feels like Sim City with a dictator flair.

Posted by Animasta

lol same sex marriage in 56'

Posted by dropabombonit

These types of games are not for me but really digging the music in this game. Anyone know where I can get the soundtrack

Posted by Murdoc_

Activating Social Security and Cutting taxes? God damn it, you'reliving in a fantasy land!

Posted by shodan2020

There's always money in the banana stand.

Posted by MrGtD

Tropico 4 rots because it has too many changes. Tropico 3, like Puff Daddy, rules.

Edited by deathstriker666

@AngelN7 said:

@jaks said:

That's hilarious but kinda sad too because how accurate is in describing the mentality of some people in third world countries there's a say "lleva el barrio en la cabeza" wich is somewhat similar to your situation people just preffer to live on their shanties wich I hope that's the intention rather than it be a bug of the game.

Ahh, no. Garages need to be built next to every housing complex or else no one will ever move into those homes. No one wants to walk ten miles to grab their car so they can commute 1 mile to get to work. Usually I find every one garage can handle a maximum of two tenements before getting the annoying "Garage is overloaded" message that the game constantly spams. I have no idea why the devs just didn't include every housing complex with an in-built garage, some of the tourist hotels have them.

It's less of a broken mechanic and more of poor design. Some of the AI's actions are simply never explained to the player. A lot of Tropico 4's problems are alleviated in the Modern Times expansion. The Metro stations are a godsend.

Posted by tompepper

"there is nothing fun to do here" -j. gerstmann

Posted by EvilNiGHTS

The hot air balloon in the preview image had me thinking this was for a photo editing suite.

Posted by Porkellain

@Mumrik: I do! Incredible, isn't it?

Posted by crithon

is it me, or is this more of a game to shake my booty to then dance central? I MEAN THIS IS REAL DANCE MUSIC.

Posted by PurpleMoustache

Never really played or looked at Tropico before. It seems fun. Also: GREAT music choice

Posted by InsidiousTuna

This music is a goddamn PARTY.

Posted by buzz_killington

Pretty good soundtrack.

Edited by HerbieBug

Will the game allow me to hire a series of mariachi troupes to stand on every street corner in town and play Guantanamera every day all hours all the time forever?

Because that seems like the correct way to go. :)

Posted by beatnik11

I have had the game since it came out and I am sank 160 hours into it and jump back in to play every once in a while so I can say it has more than paid for itself. Its not really the best city builder as far as in-depth building mechanics go but it is a really fun little political leader/dictator simulator that is lighthearted and has a lot of charm. Its not really much of a jump from 3 but there are enough small changes, extra details, and streamlining to make 4 worth a purchase especially now that it can be gotten for cheap. If you can you should definitely get this game for the PC as it really does work a bit better with a m/kb set up but the console version looks totally serviceable

Posted by Mumrik

@Porkellain said:

@Mumrik: I do! Incredible, isn't it?

No, but I agree.

Posted by CastroCasper

"Cigarettes and Krokodil."

Posted by longish

Nice Rock, Rot or Rule reference Ryan. :D

Posted by LastNinja

@Kurtdyoung said:

Krokodil is some fucked up shit, and I applaud Jeff for trying to bring it into mainstream humor. The more we know and all that.

Posted by Colourful_Hippie

So now I'm in the mood for a game like this.

Should I buy this or Tropico 3? It'll be the PC version.

Posted by thebigJ_A

@LastNinja said:

@Kurtdyoung said:

Krokodil is some fucked up shit, and I applaud Jeff for trying to bring it into mainstream humor. The more we know and all that.

Russian bathroom heroin, and it literally rots your flesh to the bone! What's not to like??

Posted by LastNinja

@thebigJ_A: Hold up, hold up, I got one fresh of the presses from my idle addled mind:

Flesh: Yo, see you later alligator

Bone: No you won't krokodil

Posted by Lockes84

This looks worth checking out. The artwork on the characters is wonderfully grotesque.

Posted by thebigJ_A

@LastNinja said:

@thebigJ_A: Hold up, hold up, I got one fresh of the presses from my idle addled mind:

Flesh: Yo, see you later alligator

Bone: No you won't krokodil

I like it!

• 138 results