136 Comments
  • 136 results
Posted by Krataur

Finally getting around to listening to the podcasts. For the most part, I agree with their decisions, but some noticeable complete snubs for me include:

Best New Character: Haytham Kenway

Best Music: Sound Shapes

Best Revival: SSX

Posted by Djungelurban

Not even mentioning Xenoblade Chronicles for best music pretty music invalidates that entire category...

Posted by Skeetz

Best moment for me was Shepard and Garrus shooting cans on the citadel in ME3. My Shepard missed his shot and Garrus declared "I'm Garrus Vakarian, and this is now my favorite spot on the Citadel."

Posted by k_briskin

¬°SPOILERS!

I just made an account on this site to say that Mordin's death deserves a nod in the Best Moment/Sequence category; it's the clear winner for me.

Posted by ROFLknife

New Super Mario Bros. U was excellent. That is all.

Posted by ouvintes

Personally, I think FTL should have won the best music category. While the Hotline Miami ST is amazing, I think Ben Prunty did an outstanding job on his own, great arrangements, very clever with the dual versions for each track. I'm baffled he didn't even make the cut.

Love these award shows, looking forward to listen to the rest soon.

Posted by TripMasterMunky

I decided to purchase Super Mario 3D Land because of this list.

Posted by Bunny_Fire

Go Jeff :)

Posted by Hot_Orange

Watched until 2:26, paused to comment about how crazy great this is, un-paused.

Greatness!

* Back to video

Posted by MrKlorox
@CaptainInvictus said:

@MrKlorox said:

Wow. Battlefield 3 is easily the 2012 2011 GOTY. I understand that all three of the biggest Battlefield fans in the clique no longer work with you guys, so I can understand you guys mostly overlooking it. But wow, that game has gotten so much better this year than it was last year. It also has the best bow of the year. I really liked Pushmo as well, but there's no comparison. And Trackmania2 would seem like a running joke if I didn't know any better.

Wow, it's almost as if it's Giant Bomb's 2012's 2011 GOTY and not yours! Man, you just don't get it, do you?

I don't get it? Hilarious.

Here's how comments sections work since you're clearly he one who needs an eye opener: People post reactions to the articles about how much they agree with or disagree with the contents or how much it amazes or disappoints them. Now what you did was post nonsense that has no merit on ANY conversation at hand and only served its purpose to shut down another user. Then you went back and edited out the most dickish part; while forgetting to actually add something to the topic. I don't expect any less from trolls on the internet, especially from these boards/forums. Thanks for not disappointing.
Posted by shodan2020

@Chavtheworld: I loved both of them. Both were incredible to me!

Posted by edgefusion

@JustinAquarius: Then I'm afraid to tell you either your television speakers are broken, you had it on mute the entire time or you're suffering from some kind of auditory-based amnesia. Many things can be said about Journey, it having a forgettable soundtrack is absolutely and unquestionably not one of them.

Posted by Phange

Nobody thought NSMB U was disappointing except you, GiantBomb. It wasn't lackluster. It wasn't formulaic. It certainly wasn't easy. I'd wager you never got past Layer Cake Desert and abandoned the game before it turned creative, clever, and most importantly, far more challenging. If you afforded SM 3D Land the courtesy of a double-playthrough to unlock the only "Kaizo" Mario stage, I'd hope you would've done them same for NSMB U. As a fan of SM3DL, I can honestly say that NSMB U is ultimately a far better-realized game than SM3DL, especially in stage design. I dare you to play Superstar Road 8 and claim it's pedestrian or easy. I've played Kaizo levels easier than that.

Edited by Roger778

Okay, I think I'm convinced that I need to play Far Cry 3.

Vaas sounds like a truly scary villain, and the open-world that you get to explore excites me, because I love that type of game. I've gotten pretty good at playing shooter games over the years, and the only thing that worries me is if the game will be too hard.

Edited by CaptainInvictus

@MrKlorox said:

Wow. Battlefield 3 is easily the 2012 2011 GOTY. I understand that all three of the biggest Battlefield fans in the clique no longer work with you guys, so I can understand you guys mostly overlooking it. But wow, that game has gotten so much better this year than it was last year. It also has the best bow of the year. I really liked Pushmo as well, but there's no comparison. And Trackmania2 would seem like a running joke if I didn't know any better.

Wow, it's almost as if it's Giant Bomb's 2012's 2011 GOTY and not yours!

Edited by MrKlorox

Wow. Battlefield 3 is easily the 2012 2011 GOTY. I understand that all three of the biggest Battlefield fans in the clique no longer work with you guys, so I can understand you guys mostly overlooking it. But wow, that game has gotten so much better this year than it was last year. It also has the best bow of the year.

I really liked Pushmo as well, but there's no comparison. And Trackmania2 would seem like a running joke if I didn't know any better.

Posted by JustinAquarius

@edgefusion said:

Best music didn't go to Journey? Are you all high? Do you not have ears?

For all the hype on music Journey is getting, I played through the game and loved it, yet I don't remember a single thing about the score. You could tell me the game had no score at all and I'd believe you because it apparently didn't register with me.

Posted by Bollard

Hotline Miami's music is so bad, can't believe that shit beat FEZ.

Urgh.

Posted by edgefusion

Best music didn't go to Journey? Are you all high? Do you not have ears?

Posted by MormonWarrior

That secret level in Mario 3D Land...was not that hard. Yeah, I said it. Having beaten Rayman Origins and gotten 100% in Meat Boy, it's not even close to anything in those games. It's fun, sure, but Patrick sure likes to play up the difficulty. I think I died four times before beating it.

Edited by paulunga

@MiniPato said:

@crithon said:

Double Dragon Neon for revival? Yikes, man, that's scary to be in there

Jeff said he hated it at first, but then came to like it. And well, the other nominees were pretty bad anyways.

I'm more disappointed that they didn't even mention it for Best Music. Both the mixtapes and actual background music were great.

Posted by Godzilla_Sushi

I love this!

Posted by BBQBram

Nothing says christmas like Game of the Year content!

Posted by TheDudeOfGaming

Vaas truly is awesome, and now I'll have to play Hotline Miami.

Posted by vinsanityv22

All great games here. I expected more "makes me furious"-kinds of choices :)

Although I don't know any of those new characters. You'd figure Handome Jack from Bo'derlands 2 would, easily, have wrapped that up. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Posted by MiniPato

@crithon said:

Jeff said he hated it at first, but then came to like it. And well, the other nominees were pretty bad anyways.

Posted by crithon

Posted by VisariLoyalist

really really not feeling the hotline miami soundtrack maybe that's just me.

Posted by D_W

While I understand the nature of the category, but man... No mention of Awesomenauts in best music?

Posted by MeatSim

The only one I didn't really see coming was Super Mario 3D land.

Posted by Artof_War

Excited for this!

Posted by Shinmaru007

I don't know about you all, but I've been sitting jamming to the Hotline Miami soundtrack up there for SO LONG now.

Posted by prestonhedges

Oh, yup, they only played through XCOM once and never touched it again. Otherwise they'd be, "This isn't as good as I first thought..."

Posted by cosi83

Sine Mora music should have been thrown into the mix

Posted by AssInAss

@radioactivez0r said:

I've only listened to the beginning of the podcast, but did the Darksiders II music get any mentions? I was amazed not only at the fact that I even noticed it, but also at how awesome and epic it was in parts.

Wouldn't be a surprise since it's the great Jesper Kyd (Hitman, Ass Creed).

Posted by radioactivez0r

I've only listened to the beginning of the podcast, but did the Darksiders II music get any mentions? I was amazed not only at the fact that I even noticed it, but also at how awesome and epic it was in parts.

Edited by KittyVonDoom

So is Jeff the only staff member to've played Syndicate? I know this stuff is already set in stone, but I hope that game gets the recognition it deserves. Criminally underrated and then some.

And was original XCOM really "beloved"? I would call classic Nintendo games that people were practically raised on as kids to be "beloved", but a series that caught the attention of the hardcore PC dwellers, who would obsess elitist over anything that was sci-fi + punishing difficulty?

I certainly don't think the reason behind the Internet furiously whining over the FPS reboot was because of the quality, the lack of original characters, or different writers/designers. Just SAYING.

Posted by Wallzii

Frog Fractions? Honestly, I just played it, and it is pretty fucking boring. How is this game even entertaining?

Edited by Brackynews

I swear to god, I look back over my shoulder every time I hear Silver Lights. /creepy

"WHO AM I??!!"

Edited by AssInAss

@OneKillWonder_ said:

I dunno, Vaas barely being in FC3 and still winning over Lee is kind of lame, but whatever. Not to discredit how awesome Vaas is, but he is criminally underused. For me it would be between Lee and Handsome Jack for sure.

They're all winners in my eyes! And yes, there needed to be more Vaas, what a whiff of a conclusion for him.

Edited by beard_of_zeus

@MjHealy said:

THE IGNORING OF SOUND SHAPES FOR BEST MUSIC CANNOT BE EXCUSED.

But Hotline Miami still wins anyway

Yeah, I wish Sound Shapes or Hell Yeah! would have been considered. They mentioned Hell Yeah! on the podcast, but I think it got overlooked too easily. I would have taken Fez out and switched in Hell Yeah! for that category, myself. Hotline Miami and Journey are both totally legit, though.

Posted by SleepyDoughnut

Frog Fractions?

Posted by Cashewual

The fake documentary/office theme is fucking astounding! Well done indeed!

Posted by yoshimitz707

@Protome said:

@Graham_Nix said:

Where's Kid Icarus: Uprising for best retro revival :/

I don't think it should win over XCOM, but it should at least have been nominated.

Listen to the podcast, it is mentioned but the unanimous opinion was "The terrible controls stop is being a nominee."

The controls aren't great, yeah. But once you get used to them they stop being an issue. And every single other thing about the game is so goddamn amazing that I can't believe it got looked over for Double Dragon Neon.

Posted by gbrading

Oh, Lee Everett is certainly my Character of the Year. Lee is the epitome of a fully-rounded character.

Posted by wumbo3000

They couldn't have chosen a better video clip of Vaas. That was perfect.

Posted by OleMarthin

this is fantastic,

Posted by ThreePi

I got to say, the old-school X-Com fans who have rejected new XCOM are out there. It may be a fine game for those who are unfamiliar with the series or genre, but for the long-time fans like myself, the new game is kind of sad. The biggest complaint, really, is that the game is basically solvable. Once you figure out an opening gambit, you can pretty much have the game on cruise control to the point where the tactical and strategy layer both become by-the-numbers. XCOM has no legs, no replayability. Once you've beaten the game, there's very little reason to want to play it again, and that's a cardinal sin for strategy games.

Posted by Mikemcn

I can't agree with the NRA's "Games make you violent" argument normally, but playing Hotline Miami while jamming to it's badass soundtrack and embracing the trippiness of it all, may be the closest videogames have come to making me understand psycho killers.

Posted by gunstarhero

this is why i pay the monies.

• 136 results