96 Comments
  • 96 results
Posted by Ryan

Mikey Neumann is the Chief Creative "Champion" of Gearbox Software which is a fancy-talk way of saying he writes games, makes trailers, and forces dubstep onto the population at large. He has been at the company since 2001 and has worked on many titles including writing all of the Brothers in Arms series, the first Borderlands, and Aliens: Colonial Marines. He also writes comics books and novels which include a Borderlands comic and the first issue just hit shelves. If you want to check out his novels, go over to http://bozpublishing.com/ and start reading online or purchase anything to go for under a buck.

Onto my TOP 10! (Which are in this particular order.)

10. Diablo III

I don't know how this couldn't made it onto my list. We all love Diablo and we got a polished update worthy of the name. I played this for weeks and couldn't resist making a new character and a new build and jumping back into the fray.

9. Call of Duty: Black Ops II

I am terrible at multiplayer in Call of Duty; simply awful. There's nothing more demoralizing than getting epithets hurled at you in whatever homophobic or racially driven flavor preteens are into this week. But Treyarch's games have bots! I can fight bots and actually get kill streaks! That shit is fun.

8. You Have to Win the Game

An indie throwback to the real old-school: CGA graphics, or at least, complex 3D work disguised to look like CGA graphics! Kyle Pittman made this brutal, nostalgic beast and if you haven't checked it out, you should! http://www.piratehearts.com/blog/games/you-have-to-win-the-game/

7. Worms Revolution

I love Worms. I've loved Worms since the first game. I'd stay up with my best friend and play that game all night. In this version, they finally made the switch to a 3D engine, while keeping the gameplay old school. This game got pretty overlooked, but you should check it out. It's legit.

6. Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Criterion is back, baby! It might be under a different name, and we won't get back to the sheer audacious joy of ramming 18-wheelers full of logs into oncoming traffic to score points like in Burnout 2, but I'll take what I can get.

5. Journey

What a great piece of interactive art. If you aren't stunned by the experience you have old spinach where your heart should be, like Ryan Davis.

4. Halo 4

Very little has not been said about this behemoth and 343's taking of the torch. So, uh, those little dudes that run around all goofy and are still great fun to bash in the head--I bet that they can't even sit in a chair, they're shaped like turnips. Little hobbling grenade turnips.

3. Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods and Kings

Yes! Any excuse to get Civ V back on the list! I can never shut up about this game because it's the best, and tiny insult hurling children-people just don't have the stomach for uber-defensive turtle-Gandhi culture victory! The expansion added an amazing amount of depth to the experience so I'll be playing this for many more years to come.

2. The Walking Dead

How can you make a list and not mention this gut-wrenching adventure game that proved how amazing episodic gaming could be? Telltale really hit this one out of the park and assembled a great group of writers to pull it off.

1. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Yeah, I put Firaxis on here twice, right at the top. I want their man-babies. It's the depth of this game that kept me coming back. What a perfect update to the PC classics. Name all your characters after you friends and feel like a terrible person when you get them killed with a bone-headed error in judgment.

(I didn't put Borderlands 2 on here because I think that would have been weird. But I love it and play it all the time--you should too!)

Staff
Posted by TheRealJpoe

interesting list for sure.

Posted by Oldirtybearon

Mikey is the best.

Posted by HubrisRanger

Had not heard of You Have To Win the Game. May give it a gander.

Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking

Glad someone recognised Worms!

Posted by mcmax3000

As much as it pains me to say it as a LONG time Criterion fanboy, I just can't agree with Most Wanted making a top 10 list this year. It still has its moments, but it's far & away their weakest driving game.

Posted by Anwar

fuck yeah XCOM.

Posted by Mofaz

Lol, Diablo 3.

Posted by leoaucar

Good List!

Diablo 3, Journey and God and Kings are also on my top 10 and X Com is definitely my GOTY too!

Posted by Laiv162560asse

Well, a list featuring Worms and a Civ 5 expansion certainly deserves points for being novel. Also I like how he mistakenly uses the word 'epitaphs' instead of 'epithets'.

Posted by PrioritySeven

Good list but DIABLO III?! Didn't think that would make anyone's Top 10.

Posted by dr_mantas

The top 3 is solid.. The rest - meh. To each their own.

Posted by iAmJohn
In this version [of Worms], they finally made the switch to a 3D engine, while keeping the gameplay old school.

I'm preeeeeeetty sure they did that years ago, Mikey.

Edited by nexttoofcourse

epitaphs thrown left and right

straight-up slinging tombstones

Posted by CornBREDX

I suspect everyone's list will be different this year (well maybe a feeewww repeats), and that's why I think it was a great year in games. 

Posted by m2cks

You know it's a good list when you see juxtaposing games like Journey and BLOPS II featured in it. Nice choices, Mr. Neumann.

Posted by KanyeEast

epiphets son

Posted by chocolaterhinovampire

"I don't know how this couldn't made it onto my list."

Uhhhh this guy is a writer?

Posted by beepmachine

COMICS BOOKS

Posted by Jumbs

Strange list. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Posted by Gyoru

@dr_mantas said:

The top 3 is solid.. The rest - meh. To each their own.

Posted by MeatSim

Diablo 3? that's like Borderlands but without a bazillion guns.

"than getting epitaphs hurled"

here lies using the wrong word....

was this list done in 30 seconds....with no editing?

Edited by chocolaterhinovampire

not really complaining...just saying that this is a sloppily constructed list

Posted by TheHT

Let the Games (of the Year) commence!

Nice to see Most Wanted make someone's list. Worms is totally unexpected though. I doubt I could deal with another 3D Worms game.

http://www.giantbomb.com/worms-3d/61-522/

Posted by Tesla

@chocolaterhinovampire said:

No. His title is right there in the article description.

Posted by flasaltine

@chocolaterhinovampire said:

Obviously not. Writers don't make typos at all. Patrick Klepek doesn't make typos either.

Posted by J12088

Your top 3 saved you. The rest of that list was horrible.

Posted by LifeByDegrees

It will be interesting to see the cross comparison. Civ!

Posted by RetroVirus

Excellent list!

Posted by MosaicM80

Good list, totally agree with XCOM being #1! The best game of the year by far. To bad the Need for Speed game isn't on Steam otherwise I'd get it since I've heard such good things.

Posted by Sooty

ew

Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff

It begins.

Posted by AMyggen

Ah yes, people bitching about other people's lists. It has begun.

Posted by Blimble

It's pretty amazing he made a list of terrible, okay and spot on choices. That takes skill

Posted by DoctorWelch

@iAmJohn said:

In this version [of Worms], they finally made the switch to a 3D engine, while keeping the gameplay old school.

I reviewed the game (hint: it's more worms take it or leave it), and I can definitely tell you they made the switch like 3 games ago.

I wasn't bitching about his list....just his inability to edit or use words properly.

@DoctorWelch said:

@iAmJohn said:

I reviewed the game (hint: it's more worms take it or leave it), and I can definitely tell you they made the switch like 3 games ago.

2004 to be exact

Posted by mrfluke

nice list, xcom is fucking awesome.

Posted by TheFridge

Game of the year has BEGUN! And the hate for peoples lists has also begun. Oh internet, you amuse me with your criticisms of other peoples opinions.

@mrfluke said:

nice list, xcom is fucking awesome.

Boxing day purchase

Posted by Double

Opinions! I should really play XCOM and Journey...

Posted by Clonedzero

people like different games than me! im gonna bitch about in the comments!

Posted by SoothsayerGB

"(Which are in this particular order.)"

Boooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@TheFridge said:

Game of the year has BEGUN! And the hate for peoples lists has also begun. Oh internet, you amuse me with your criticisms of other peoples opinions.

I did not criticize his opinion...show me where. Also, try not to act so holier-than-thou oh sage wise man of the internet.

Posted by GaspoweR

XCOM FUCK YES

Posted by Phatmac

I thought Gods and Kings was an expansion pack or is it DLC? Is it a game? Decent list otherwise.

Posted by jillsandwich

Mikey chose XCOM, he knows what's up.

Edited by Skillface

@chocolaterhinovampire: I don't see them quoting you specifically, so why respond? Also, why do you feel the need to comment on this article like 10 times? Baffling.

• 96 results