81 Comments
  • 81 results
Posted by prestonhedges

@TheUnsavedHero said:

While there is something to be said about sticking to ones' roots, the same could be said for changing up the formula. Starbreeze generally does the FPS genre well and I was glad to see them put this out.

Maybe Starbreeze should have "changed up the formula" and not done an FPS, then.

Edited by jakob187

@Hunter5024 said:

@jakob187: Only if you agree the story mode is at least atrocious.

There's a fucking story in the Soul games? O_____O

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@jakob187: Only if you agree the story mode is at least atrocious.

The story mode is awful but i think t he gameplay easily makes up for it. The best Soul Calibur sense 2. I felt adding all the new characters and the addition of meter, super and ex moves made the game fresh again. Plus the new way Gi was handled and quick side steps.

This.

Edited by SharkEthic
Posted by NoelVeiga

Can somebody explain to me whose puppy dog Assassin's Creed 3 murdered? Is all the outrage about it ending in a cliffhanger or is it about the game and the gameplay? Because I didn't have any issues with those things. I actually think it plays well, and however disappointing Desmond's story may be, I like the Animus cast here way more than I did in any of the AC2 trilogy. I can't be alone in this.

Edited by biggiedubs

I waited for Street Fighter X Tekken my entire life, and then it came out. And it played badly, and it was horribly unbalanced, and it was too slow, and it had terrible online connections out the gate, and it hid characters behind DLC walls as well.

I guess with all the patches and changes, they've managed to mold it into something resembling a half decent fighting game, but no thanks.

Posted by Porkellain
Posted by KaneRobot

Anyone who honestly thought Halo 4, Diablo 3, or Borderlands 2 was the most disappointing game to come out in 2012 is a fucking idiot. I'll certainly hear some complaints, but none of those should even be mentioned in a list of "most disappointing" titles of the year.

Posted by ImmortalSaiyan

@NoelVeiga said:

Can somebody explain to me whose puppy dog Assassin's Creed 3 murdered? Is all the outrage about it ending in a cliffhanger or is it about the game and the gameplay? Because I didn't have any issues with those things. I actually think it plays well, and however disappointing Desmond's story may be, I like the Animus cast here way more than I did in any of the AC2 trilogy. I can't be alone in this.

For me it is the gameplay. I really like AC1 and 2 and AC3 takes a far step away from what I liked about the series in the first place. Yes, the story is bad but I could life with that if it were still enjoyable to play. You rarely even assassinate people in AC3. The series has lost it's way as a open ended stealth action game where huge cities were your playground.

Edited by NoelVeiga

@ImmortalSaiyan: I don't feel that way at all, which is weird, because normally I can at least see what the issues are. I didn't think the first AC was as bad as people said it was, but I could see how playing it a certain way could make it feel repetitive, which was the main point of contention.

But "a far step away"? "The story is bad"? I... don't see how. The game seems like an evolutionary step over the AC2 trilogy, with some changes working better than others. Some of the traversal is a tad less smooth, which has more to do with the design of some cities than with the game proper, but otherwise it plays just fine. What parts of it turn you off exactly? And what is so offensive about the story? Is it the ending or the in-Animus story as well? Because I loved the twists of that stuff, and I thought the setting was really cool. Again, what exactly pissed you off so much?

EDIT: Also, I wonder if my skipping Revelations altogether endeared me to AC3 more. I thought AC2 was good, but Brotherhood tested my patience. I can see how AC3 would yield diminishing returns if you come fresh off playing the same game again on Revelations.

Posted by ImmortalSaiyan

@NoelVeiga: I have a similar track record with Assassin's Creed. I really like the first AC, skipped Rev, got bored of Brotherhood because I did not want another game as Ezio.

I'll start with story. In the present story the interplay and main conflict of the Assassin's and Templars was pushed aside in favor of the old race of people. Which I did not know about because I skipped those last two games. The ark of Desmond was not satisfying. They build of that character for multiple games, each time seeing his powers improve because of his animus training. It never pays off because he is killed off so suddendly. I was expecting a showdown between Desmond and the Templars but now I have no idea where they are going with it.

I felt there was a lot of potential in the setting but I felt it squandered. A native protagonist during the american revolution is ripe for a strong thematic story. Those themes and issues were barely touched apon. On occasion the game would nudge at them, never to be explored. Instead they had you right in the middle of the events, as if Connor was there. As someone who does not know american history all that well this did not bother me as much as other but i would of rathered that be in the background and focus on Connor's story.

Connor was a boring character and Haytham was underutilized for how long they spent building up to the twist. The only part of the story I enjoyed were the interactions between Connor and Haytham. They set out to protray the Templars as not one note villain buts after you finish playing as Haytham that is exactly what they do.

The tutorial is six hours long and does not even do a good job teaching how to play the game. I had no idea how to use the various systems for the homestead. As a result I never bothered with it. I hear it does not tie into the main game at all, so no loss I suppose.

The mission are all very linear and you rarely even have to assassinate people or stealth around. When you do, they is only one path which is made very clear. Assassin's Creed 3 is not a game I feel in control of. Merely being dragged along being shown a tour of one sided American history.

You have very few options to actually avoid sight in stealth. You can't even crouch to avoid site. I can't articulate well, but as Connor I always felt like the worlds most clumsy assassin. Even in those few stealth mission it was easier to just engage everyone in combat and kill them that way.

I am someone who preferred when the combat never had the one hit kill strings. Now it feels automated, entirely without challenge and a chore. The combat felt even more striped down from ACB. The controls abandoned the cleaver design of past games where each button corresponded to an appendage. ie, Y button for the head. Not a huge deal but I like that touch, and the old health bar. Showing attention to detail.

In general I felt as if I had less options. No people to hire to hide in. No blending ability. No ability to grab. The UI was worse and the quick radial menu was a needless addition that just discouraged me from switching items.

Speaking of discouraging me. I always loved the free roaming and scaling building in AC games. Due to the setting there are far less building to climb, resulting in me running from place to place most of the time. Which goes back to feeling like a clumsy assassin. The act of climbing in basically automated now, where as before I enjoyed finding the proper way to scale the building. Now I just hold up and A. The scouts on rooftops are an issue now. In past games you had throwing knifes to quickly dispose of them. In AC3 I found myself getting caught far more often, because the building are so small even guards on the ground would spot me.

Escaping them is hard as well because there are less ways to avoid sight, and no hiding places on roofs. I was rarely able to break sight when caught causing me to fight, like 12 redcoats at once. So why even bother ever going up there?

That is the bulk of why I did not like the game. I don't just think the game is disappointing, I think it is a straight up bad, poorly designed game. With very few bright spots. Hope that helps. I would like to hear what exactly you liked about the game.

Posted by OneManX

@biggiedubs said:

I waited for Street Fighter X Tekken my entire life, and then it came out. And it played badly, and it was horribly unbalanced, and it was too slow, and it had terrible online connections out the gate, and it hid characters behind DLC walls as well.

I guess with all the patches and changes, they've managed to mold it into something resembling a half decent fighting game, but no thanks.

It's like everyone forgot about the borked online, unbalanced chars, the on-disc DLC, and GEMS~!... so I guess that shows how memorable SFxT was... /kanyeshrug

Posted by NoelVeiga

@ImmortalSaiyan: Thanks for the response. To your question, it seems like this is a straight up matter of taste, as a bunch of the stuff you list I just... well, liked.

On the story front, I knew they'd resolve Desmond this game, in that the whole 2012 date was set up for a while, so it had to happen here. The cliffhanger is not ideal, and I'd have liked to see Desmond pay off as either the star of his own game or having more action sequences himself on a contemporary setting, which they don't end up doing too often, but I was teased by the little bit of that they do have and the strength of the Animus stuff made me forget about the lost opportunity pretty quick.

Haytham is still my favourite "Assassin" in the entire series, and Connor being a bit dull didn't bother me at all. I always found Ezio's feisty character a bit annoying, and the Italian accent never played well with me (why does the Animus translate but leave the accent and a few loose words?) I loved that they didn't do the same with Connor's language here, and for how much of a straight man he was, he still had an interesting plight and a good set of supporting characters.

I didn't find the missions to be that linear in nature, or all that different from other games. They seemed very close to the AC2 trilogy. People said the same of the first game, and I didn't see it there either. By the way, blending and using the Brotherhood are totally still in the game, and completely usable, and the forts make a return from AC2 as the stand alone stealth challenges. It's very satisfying to take over those spots without being seen at all and dive off a cliff as the whole thing explodes.

Also, the frickin' naval battles are fantastic. I used to sail, so I frequently take issue with how ships are depicted in games. AC3 and Wind Waker are, to this day, the best simulations of sailing ever put to gaming, with all the physics nuances you'd expect.

About combat... eh, no, didn't have a problem. I've heard other people say the same thing about how the radial menu discouraged using weapons, comparing it to the Batman games. Ironically, I always punch people in the Batman games. I did find that having to go into the menu system rather than having an overlay on top of the game was more awkward than I'd have liked, but it was not at all a deal breaker. The only option it stopped me from using was throwing money at the beggars, really. Also, I love the musket reload mechanics, which had me scrounging for muskets to use as a single shot weapon and then drop or leave stuck to some dude's chest.

I actually stopped playing Far Cry 3 and Hitman Absolution to play AC3 when it came out on the PC, and I don't regret it. I had more fun with it than with the other stealth action games people keep praising, including Dishonored, and I'm still surprised at how much crap it got and keeps getting. So yeah, thanks for explaining. I still don't agree at all, but at least I'm seeing that it's a matter of straight up subjective taste, rather than focusing on a single element and blowing out of proportion, at least for you.

Posted by BestUsernameEver

Honestly, assassins creed 'wins' most disappointing franchise in a while for me, have no idea what people see in those games.

Posted by ImmortalSaiyan

@NoelVeiga: I like seeing other perspectives on things like this. Even is it is as simple as we preserved things different. I feel like some of my issues with the game come from the poor tutorial, my tendency to plow through the main quest if the side stuff is not well laid out, and possibly miss remembering some parts of Assassin's Creed 2. I heard good things about the pirate side missions but I had no desire to do them or anything besides the main quest. I doubt it would of changed my opinion of the other parts but I feel I could of gotten more out of the game. Shame it explains itself so poorly.

I did enjoy the navel battles, I will give the game that. That could be the basis to kick start a open world pirate game. Which I would totally play. Ubisoft should get on that. They share assets enough as it is.

Posted by NoelVeiga

@ImmortalSaiyan: Oooooh, I would have played the shit out of Pirate's Creed. I want that game so much now.

Posted by zeus_gb

Mass Effect 3 for me is the winner of this. How Bioware could have messed up so badly is beyond me.

Posted by biggiedubs

@OneManX said:

@biggiedubs said:

It's like everyone forgot about the borked online, unbalanced chars, the on-disc DLC, and GEMS~!... so I guess that shows how memorable SFxT was... /kanyeshrug

Those fucking gems.....urh.

I guess because it's so unmemorable, it can't really win 'most disappointing.' It could win 'Most Mediocre', I guess, but that's about it.

Posted by Claude

AC3 sucked the Revolution out of the Revolution. I blame French speaking people.

Posted by mrfluke

Yep this i agree with, cause FUCK THAT ENDING GODDAMM

i hope ubisoft kinda shuts their damm mouth and not have so much of an ego anymore

fucking hyping it up as "the most anticipated game of all time"

Posted by Xeiphyer

So glad AC3 got its just desserts, totally felt like nobody was talking about how fucking terrible the ending was.

Posted by granderojo

I think most underwhelmed is a better description of this category. At the end of the day, these games were all highly produced without huge technical issues, even if the sum of their parts did not work well together. The Walking Dead save bug is disappointing. 4 fucking times I went through the agony of my save being wiped.

Posted by habster3

@project343: Glad to see I'm not the only one who was fine with this game

For me, the most disappointing game was probably Darksiders 2; it started off so well, but ended up... well, let's just say I didn't even finish it before selling it for Dishonored (which I enjoyed).

Posted by sins_of_mosin

Only thing that AC3 had going for it that was fun was the naval bit and man I would love for them to expand that and make it a full game.

Posted by Jimbo

@sins_of_mosin said:

Only thing that AC3 had going for it that was fun was the naval bit and man I would love for them to expand that and make it a full game.

This needs to happen. Not as an AC game, just as a modern day Pirates! / Sea Dogs sorta thing. The first sea battle during a storm I got into in AC3 was the only time the game really gripped me, and it basically wasn't an Assassin's Creed game at all at that point.

Posted by Jackel2072

that part in a previous Bombcast when Jeff asked when does ACIII start getting good? i busted out laughing because i was farther then him and i was asking the same question. i have decided im not going to finish this game. Im just not enjoying myself and i feel like the game is a chore. which is sad, because i really wanted to like it.

Posted by morrelloman

AC3 suffered from being on a HYPE bullet train. The series had already peaked with Bro-Hood and nose dove with Revelations. So the unspectacularness was already apparent.

Darksiders II, IMO, is a much worse waste of potential considering we will prob not get another. Darksiders 1 following grew overtime & this was a chance for a smaller franchise to step up and get a little more mainstream and it was like BLEH.

Edited by smitty86

I'd just like to say that if you ever expected anything good from Resident Evil 6, you have to take 50% of the blame for that one.

Also in a year with the Mass Effect 3 controversy and AC3 apparently being just a steaming pile, some tend to forget just how bad SFxT was. Not just through all the technical, DLC, & balance issue but that is it one of the most boring fighting games to watch. ResidentSleeper

Posted by videogamesarenotart

@smitty86 said:

Mass Effect 3 controversy

a bunch of neckbeards complaining over the internet is not a controversy

Posted by Zrais

@videogamesarenotart: Did you play Mass Effect 3 Pre-DLC? I'd say their choices were pretty controversial.

Source:Beardless Neck.

Posted by AssInAss
Posted by ReTarDedFisHy

Diablo 3.

But the FisH still plays it :( why

why

wat do?