80 Comments
  • 80 results
Posted by Trilogy

I can't believe I missed this list. I didn't even know Greg made one until listening to the bombcast this week.

Edited by bybeach

I don't want to be misconstrued in my comments. Kasavin for me goes back to the early GS days. What He created there under his tutelage was phenomenal., one of the best universities of Video Game reporting/interaction to come out. (my respects incedentallly to Carrie)

Something else has bothered me, perhaps a personality thing. And of course I have no greater chance of talking to Kasavin than Obama., except.where the is always twitter and face book, neither I participate in unfortunately. It had the claims of another gamer who I have abs9utely no interest in except he always seemed net- highly honest/not a net baby. And the odd circumstances he describes. Easily just baby cry, but also to some extant maybe honest. I'm at a loss...

Greg Kasavin is an primal archetypal super individual to me, his accomplishments in Video Game Journalism astounding and groundbreaking. Bit of a rock star, but seemingly at least more humble.

All I can say...But my best for Greg who I have respected for years. I do miss his personality!

Posted by FakeKisser

I highly value Greg's critical opinions, ever since his Gamespot days. Though my Top 10 is very different, this was a great read!

Posted by TheSouthernDandy

Hey somebody else with Hero Academy on their list! Well done.

Posted by Esposito426

Greg's the man.

Edited by Pop

@MasturbatingestBear said:

Fuck yeah Greg Kasavin! But there are still some people from Gamespot who didn't have lists that I really wanted to see (Carrie, Bob, Brian).

As someone who plays a lot of LoL, is Dota an improvement on League?

You can see Carrie in Paul Barnett's video.

Posted by permastun

Kasavin stole my list!

Posted by Encephalon

Teach me how to play DOTA2, Greg!

Posted by RedRavN

Nice list Greg K! I hope the team at supergiant is making good progress on their next game. Having dota 2 as a number 1 is interesting, I'm not sure that betas should count in these types of lists but either way dota 2 seems quality. As for myself, I haven't playeda dota style game much since the days of warcraft 3: the frozen throne. Its pretty amazing that 2 new entire genres of game sprang up from the warcraft 3 custom game scene, namely dota and tower defense. Well tower defense existed beforehand but never really took off in a meanningful way until after warcraft 3. Maybe I should jump into the dota 2 beta at some point or give L.O.L. a try.

Posted by NicksCorner

Cant wait to see what cookin at SuperGiant.

Posted by MasturbatingestBear

Fuck yeah Greg Kasavin! But there are still some people from Gamespot who didn't have lists that I really wanted to see (Carrie, Bob, Brian).

As someone who plays a lot of LoL, is Dota an improvement on League?

Posted by Beatus

I'll give dota a try because of this praise. Thanks for the perspective.

Posted by Jeffsekai

@Midjet said:

@jorbear said:

@Jeffsekai said:

@jorbear said:

@Jeffsekai said:

DOTA2 YEA

Posted by dropabombonit

Good list Greg

Posted by Baal_Sagoth

Very good list. Really nice mix of the more obvious stuff and some great surprises. I'm glad this year's GOTY called my attention to Hotline Miami. It's kind of crazy how much momentum that seems to have among all kinds of gamers. But it's a very good one. Unusual but satisfying gameplay somewhere between Manhunt, Postal 1 and GTA 1 and a clever narrative angle. Good to see it got attention and recommendations from the right kind of people.

Posted by SleepyDoughnut

Greg Kasavin always has the best lists

Edited by Hungry

@Gilsham said:

eh Dota isn't that great of a game, or very complex, or very watchable. I don't know why people are so into it now as opposed to the WC3 days when you couldn't move but to trip over a hero defense map, I still play a few games every now and then and just stomp everyone I play and that is a bit of fun but SC2 is where the action is at in terms of e-sports

Obvious troll is obvious. 0/10 would not read again.

Posted by Razputin

I was afraid that we wouldn't see Greg's list this year. I'm glad we did, and I must surprisingly admit that it is really close to my list. Also: props for mentioning Hero Academy. It's just so tighly designed, and so compelling.

But.. what about Jaffe? :(

Edited by bybeach

I do not understand DOTA being good for anyone except someone already good at it. But bringing up Killler7 once again reminds me I am going to buy Miami Hotline..Hell of a lot cheaper for the bucks and you can learn to play it and only get killled for failllure, not somebody leaving an audible yelllow puddle on the floor.

Posted by Dan_CiTi

@Nadril said:

@Dan_CiTi said:

Man I wish I could find any MOBA even remotely fun, interesting, etc. Just that and games that play like the Diablo series have never been at all fun to me. Closest thing to it I love is World in Conflict. Goddamn such an incredible game.

Dota plays nothing like Diablo.

Yeah but Dota 2 is like Dota, which is a Blizzard game mod. Basically what I am saying I don't like anything Blizzard has done besides Warcraft 3, Starcraft, and Starcraft 2. And "nothing like" is a bit much. Obviously the objectives of dungeon crawling and loot of Diablo versus the multiplayer and teamwork aspects of Dota are very different, but the rest are pretty similar in the controls of clicking around from an overhead perspective and all of the RPG parts of leveling up and skills.

Posted by Klei

Probably the one and only GOTY 2012 list that mattered to me.

Posted by twitchikins

Well this was one of the better lists I've seen of late!

DOTA2 would probably end up as my top pick as well. Supports for life - Keeper of the Light represent. Bitches.

Posted by Loomies

@Gilsham: biggest bait of 2012

Posted by smiddy

Based Kasavin.

Posted by Mumrik

@NeoCalypso said:

Dota 2 are you serious? That game isn't actually out yet.

It's out in the GMail sense.

Posted by Ronald

If there was anyone I though might throw Skyrim DLC in their list I thought it might be Greg. Glad to see I was wrong and he had an fun, interesting list the whole way through.

Posted by Nadril

@Dan_CiTi said:

Man I wish I could find any MOBA even remotely fun, interesting, etc. Just that and games that play like the Diablo series have never been at all fun to me. Closest thing to it I love is World in Conflict. Goddamn such an incredible game.

Dota plays nothing like Diablo.

Posted by Talesavo

DotA 2, hell ya!

Posted by DG991

Thank you for including Dota 2!

Posted by MeatSim

When is the next Elder Scrolls!? I need more Greg Kasavin monologuing.

Edited by Roger778

I miss you Greg Kasavin, and all those great reviews you did on Gamespot.

Since I now know that he was one of the guys who worked on Spec Ops: The Line, I feel compelled to play it. Not to mention, it's also been on some other top ten list.

Anyway, that was a very well-written and insightful list.

Posted by Dan_CiTi

Posted by Midjet
@jorbear said:

@Jeffsekai said:

@jorbear said:

@Jeffsekai said:

DOTA2 YEA

Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles

@artofwar420 said:

Awesome list Greg.

Posted by jorbear

@Jeffsekai said:

@jorbear said:

@Jeffsekai said:

DOTA2 YEA

Posted by JustinAquarius

Any list that includes Hotline Miami is A+ with me

Posted by KiLlerBLT

Happy to see Hero Academy on someone's list. That game is amazing!

Posted by smokyexe

@Gilsham said:

eh Dota isn't that great of a game, or very complex, or very watchable. I don't know why people are so into it now as opposed to the WC3 days when you couldn't move but to trip over a hero defense map, I still play a few games every now and then and just stomp everyone I play and that is a bit of fun but SC2 is where the action is at in terms of e-sports

eh SC2 isn't that great of a game, or very complex, or very watchable. I still play a few games every now and then and just stomp everyone I play and that is a bit of fun but Dota 2 is where the action is at in terms of e-sports

Posted by NDN_Shadow

Great list. And Dota 2 isn't exactly free-to-play yet, but it's out. It doesn't have all of the heroes, or all of the features, but the game isn't really a beta. Valve doesn't consider it as beta, and I'm not play Dota 2 Beta on my Steam Library, I'm playing Dota 2.

Posted by RadixNegative2

The only list that matters!

Posted by Itwastuesday

@Gilsham said:

let me get a slice of that e-sports action pie!!!!!

Posted by B_Heart

WOO DOTA 2! My game of the year as well. Nothing else has come close in terms of enjoyment and hours put into. Bastion announcer pack is perfect as well

Posted by Crunchman

I think where newbies fail to see the fun in Dota 2 is when they pick a hard character to play, or just a character they don't agree with, since they can be so weird. They then get whooped and declare the game is not for them. Since it's the first and probably most meaningful choice, for a new player especially, you should look up some guides. My first character was Faceless Void, no idea what I was doing, had a bad time. Came back to it a few months later, read a couple of guides, and am still playing most nights. Good list, Kasavin. Great to see downloadable games just being games.

Posted by Gilsham

Posted by darkdragonmage99

Still don't get this obsession with the walking dead I have never understood those kind of "games " I have no interest in zombies adventure games are barely games and honestly my lack of empathy ruins any emotional revelation in all this.

Posted by Minlow

Dota 2 is one hell of a game. One of the best I've ever played. Nice list, and great work on the Bastion Announcer pack, Greg. GAF loves it.

Posted by artofwar420

Awesome list Greg.

Posted by Jazzycola

@NeoCalypso said:

Dota 2 are you serious? That game isn't actually out yet.

They are charging for passes for access to the beta. Not to mention the costumes, keys, and several other things to monetize the game. It's out. They may say "Oh it's still in beta", but they're just skirting around any criticism of the game. Once you start charging for the game or charging for stuff within the game, your game is out and deserves to be criticized or applauded in this case.

Edited by Nanne

Yup, Dota2. Kasavin still knows his shit. The Bastion announcer is also awesome.

Posted by CptMorganCA

Been spending a lot time going through The Hotspot archives when Greg and the GB crew were at Gamespot. Interesting to hear them talking about Xbox 360 and Wii before they were out. Very cool.

• 80 results