Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam

Bat... bat... bat... BAT!

Posted by Xbox420

Breaking Jeff: Pitfall II

Posted by Benny

@LaserLambert said:

@JohnRabbit said:

@Spiritof said:

The irony of watching Jeff seemingly enjoy himself playing Pitfall II, but actively disliking the Demons/Dark Souls games, is ironic.

it would be, if this and the souls games were anything other than mechanically similar. from what i understand jeff's dislike of dark souls/demon's souls stems from their obtuse nature at explaining the mechanics, not the mechanics themselves. while playing pitfall 1/2 at a "high" level takes skill and experience (just like dark souls), it is not mechanically dense or difficult to play/understand (unlike dark souls).

it could also be they just simply don't appeal to him whereas pitfall does. nostalgia and all that.

I mean the run and jump stuff is obviously simple if that's what you're talking about, but just me watching this and hearing jeff spit utter nonsense such as character names and knowing what the fuck happened when the rat came out to push him away, and having any clue what ANYTHING happening was like the start of the 'second quest', and maybe that stuff was in a manual, but it certainly wasn't an in-game phenomenon explaining stuff, Just like 'Souls' games. the only acceptable explanation is nostalgia.

Jeff is pretty clear that it's about animation priority as a mechanic and not the intense level of danger or repeated almost masochistic, punishing nature of games like super meat boy & trials etc.

Posted by kunoh

i wanted this game so bad was i was a kid. kudos to jeff for posting a playthrough :)

Posted by coldblood

I love Pitfall II sooooo much!!!

Posted by SomaIscariot

"AWW MY FUUAAA GOD!" :(

Posted by Fattony12000

"SHIT!"

Posted by Vitamin_Dei

The sad music is the one I remember most. I guess I was never very good at this game.

Posted by GiveUpNed

@Vitamin_Dei said:

The sad music is the one I remember most. I guess I was never very good at this game.

The game was fucking hard when I was a kid. I never quite knew exactly what to do. This was pre-internet time.

Posted by vinsanityv22

@Shaunage said:

I feel like I've seen Jeff play Pitfall 2 before. Or maybe just talk about it. Was it in one of the classic game livestreams?

No dude. He played it with Ryan in a Game Room Quick Look

Posted by triviaman09

Man, that moment when the music changes from sad to happy (minor to major?) is amazing.

Posted by Slaegar

I enjoy the dark soulsian elements of the being hard and the rogue like nature of being able to die.

Tee hee.

Edited by MoonwalkSA

Holy shit, Jeff is incredibly good at playing Pitfall 2.

With regards to the Dark Souls stuff, it actually is the mechanics of it that Jeff dislikes (specifically the patience part in terms of slow/deliberate attack animations), so it is a bit ironic that he likes those elements in Pitfall 2. I wouldn't call it hypocritical or anything, though - the man is entitled to his opinion of what he enjoys, and they are otherwise very different games that play nothing alike despite both requiring patience and precision at a basic level.

Posted by Rox360
@Spiritof said:

The irony of watching Jeff seemingly enjoy himself playing Pitfall II, but actively disliking the Demons/Dark Souls games, is ironic.

The irony is, indeed, ironic, since there's no actual irony there as that comparison makes no sense.
Posted by Laini

@Rox360: I'm only 3 minutes in and I can already see the comparisons He talks about getting sloppy and dying a lot if you have no patience, that's practically Demon's/Dark Souls mantra.

Posted by Rox360
@Laini said:

@Rox360: I'm only 3 minutes in and I can already see the comparisons He talks about getting sloppy and dying a lot if you have no patience, that's practically Demon's/Dark Souls mantra.

That can be said about a lot of games. It kinda sounds like Mega Man to me, but I'm probably biased. And someone who likes Mega Man is definitely not guaranteed to like Dark Souls.
Posted by Deusoma
@Rox360: Yeah, I really don't see where they're coming from. This game isn't anything at all like Dark Souls, and "requiring patience and deep understanding of the mechanics" reeeeeeally isn't a good enough comparison to make their arguments valid. Not to mention that he's made it pretty clear that those aren't the parts of Dark Souls he has a problem with in the first place, so even if the comparison was valid, it's not like it would make him a hypocrite.
Posted by ajamafalous

Man, this Jeff rage. 10/10

Posted by peritus

@ajamafalous said:

Man, this Jeff rage. 10/10

I know that feeling, and i think we all do. :)

Posted by mrhollender

About 9 minutes in, Jeff experiences the only emotion I remember from playing Pitfall 2 on the C64: eye-twitching, unbridled rage. Ah, memories...