331 Comments
Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff

Unique list! Heard a lot about games I otherwise wouldn't have. Will check out Thirty Flights of Loving. Also, best ending.

Posted by RetroVirus

Nice to see McPixel getting some representation!

Posted by Baal_Sagoth

Oh man, I actually downloaded this and then failed to watch it until now for some reason. Very interesting perspective on those games and a very good list. The ending was fun too!

Edited by pwnmachine

Jaffe is the man!

@zodstein:

Maybe you just have ADD, may I ask what your GOTY was?

Posted by namco51

Whoa, now I get Vinny's reference in another video/podcast. I'm pretty sure Vinny said "I AM SEVEN" in another show, I"m just not sure which one.

Posted by zodstein

Couldn't get past the 5 minute mark..

Posted by El_Galant

Hahaha...I AM SEVEN!! Prob followed by a mothaf*ckers...this is going to be my new Comment Bubble on PS3. I AM SEVEN!!

Posted by Shaanyboi

i can already tell, Jaffe, your daughter is going have so much 'tude.

Posted by ptc

Like everyone said, stick around for the last 30 secs. Pure gold.

Oh, and what a fantastic, though provoking list by Mr. Jaffe. Well done, sir!

Posted by iceveiled

I love this man.

Posted by Snakepond

Best video ending this year. great stuff.

Posted by charles_xavier

Cute kid.  How much you want for it?

Posted by aquacadet

@tsang said:

"I AM SEVEN!" - That was worth it..

Jaffe's kid is adorable.

Posted by Duxa

Jaffe thanks for doing this, we need more devs like you in the industry (people that arent afraid to talk their mind).

Edited by JesterPC238

I love Jaffe, he always seems completely genuine, and even if I don't agree with everything he says (though I do mostly) I have tons of respect for the man. Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Twisted Metal was great!

P.S.S. I feel 100% the same about Halo multiplayer vs. Other multiplayer shooters, and I'm not even a hardcore Halo fan.

Posted by soupbones

Awesome video - and great ending!

Posted by FirebirdINF

Great list and great talk. And the daughter is a total darling.

I got 10,000,000 after watching this and played for 4 hours straight. Now I have a headache. Its ok. I dont see anything revolutionary in it yet, except the slide against the wall death mechanic.

Posted by Griddler

I really should get Twisted Metal

Posted by Darkstorn

Awesome ending, awesome guy.

Posted by granderojo

FUCKING MCPIXEL! FUCK YEAH JAFFE!

Posted by tsang

"I AM SEVEN!" - That was worth it..

Posted by happypup70

I understand the Christmas cough Jaffe Christmas has so much snow!

Posted by oasisbeyond

This guy proves why devs suck.

Posted by MisterMouse

Man... that is a video you have to watch to the end...

Posted by Tan

@Whirblewind said:

Jaffe is overpowering. I feel exhausted after this video.

I love this man. Thank you for what you've done for gaming.

Hahaha, that's actually a great way of putting it.

Posted by Spadge

A lovely video. It;s interesting to see the difference between what developers find the time to play and enjoy compared to that of consumer gamers and reviewers.

Posted by ScreamingGhost

Thanks for the video Jaffe.

Posted by Error1355

Such a cute kid. Haha.

Posted by darkjester74

You could not plan a better ending to that video, LOL!

Posted by ripelivejam

@Razputin said:

@Scotto said:

However, I also recognize that Patrick has an occasional tendency to use hyperbolic language when describing games he doesn't like.

It was the same thing with stealth games while talking about Mark of the Ninja during the GotY podcast. "Oh, but stealth IS SOOO BAD, HAHA!"

No, it's not. YOU don't like it, Patrick. A huge difference here.

didn't know he was the only one in the entire world who doesn't like stealth games

also you're twisting his words around and taking things out of context. and he's just a hyperbolic guy, it's his style and yeah maybe he shouldn't call a game dogshit but i'm pretty sure he being tongue in cheek when acting so incensed about games he doesn't like.

also they shouldn't have to pull any punches if a game from a friend of the site is bad. thought that was the whole basis of giantbomb's foundation.

Posted by shadow763

Awesome ending to the video. She reminds me of my two young Minecraft obsessed daughters.

Edited by Undeadpool

@rebgav said:

@hollitz said:

@Tesla said:

@Scotto said:

@rebgav said:

I don't understand why Jaffe keeps contributing to the site when the guys tend to shit all over him on the podcast.

Patrick made a dick comment during last week's podcasts, calling Twisted Metal "dogshit", but the others haven't, aside from genuinely wondering if car combat games really have a place in gaming at this point. I suspect that's a discussion Jaffe would love to have, not be pissed off by.

But yeah, Patrick's "dogshit" comment was pretty uncalled for. Even if you didn't dig the newest Twisted Metal, it certainly wasn't the suckiest piece shit ever made. I kind of hope Jaffe appears on their live shows at E3 this year, and confronts Patrick about it.

I would prefer that the staff give their honest opinions on games, without taking into consideration their relationship with game developers. It's called journalistic integrity.

Perhaps David Jaffe is an adult and can handle another adult thinking his game is dogshit, without feeling the need to confront anyone or never speak to Giant Bomb again.

I agree but I think Patrick was being a little unnecessarily hyperbolic with that comment. I can't even remember the last game I played that was complete dogshit. And as a creative, if someone were to say something that I did was complete dogshit without offering even the slightest bit of actual, helpful criticism, I'd be pissed, or at least dismissive of that person's opinions. But that's just me. Not hating on Patrick, I normally have nothing negative to say about him. I think he's been a great addition to the site.

Also, how fucking adorable is Jaffe's daughter?

I haven't heard the podcast lately so I wasn't referring to whatever Patrick said, it's a downer to see him turn up for the E3 shows or the game of the year stuff when Ryan & Co are usually pretty negative about the man whenever he's mentioned on the podcast.

Actually they're aggressively POSITIVE about the dude himself, they clearly have a lot of respect for him and like him as a person, they're just not thrilled with Twisted Metal, which is ALL Jaffe has worked on for the last few years. They LOVE God of War (and the first one was the only one he was involved with).

Edit: See also: The Bombcast where they talk about keeping personal and professional opinions separate when it comes to journalists and developers being friendly.

Posted by Nottle

I always love to hear Jaffe talk about games. He has an eye for good mechanics.

Posted by thechopper1209

I really love David. He's such a great guy. Love the ending. Hope he releases a bomb anytime soon.

Posted by Sil3n7

@Scotto said:

@Picard said:

I like indie games as much as the next guy,.. but at E3 - just watching David stare down that hippy on the live bomb cast was classic. That dude was just mentally diluted.

That put David in my forever awesome category.

Hippy? That was Max Temkin, one of the co-creators of Cards Against Humanity, and another guy who submitted a list this year.

And yes, I also thought it was funny that Jaffe wasn't having any of his "higher-level" indie shit.

Completely agree with this as well. Jaffe is awesome and said what needed to be said.

Posted by Galiant

I really enjoyed watching this, good stuff.

Posted by BigBossCB

Man, I'm glad for the industry. I felt like this was really the year where AAA games lost their stranglehold on the discussion about vidya games, and that smaller, smarter, more focused games really came into their own.

Anywho, great list Mr. Jaffe, I look forward to seeing what's next from you.

Posted by ThePantheon

haha the end was so sweet. thank you for making this for our community david!!!

Posted by JellyFish_Gsus

r/aww at the end. Jaffe just oozes charisma.

Posted by ThePantheon

@Razputin: so true. i think vinny must shake his head when patrick fuckin hyperboles everything to shit. "OHHH STEALTH IS THE FUCKING WORST." "OHH TWISTED METAL WAS DOG SHIT". get some fuckin perspective duder.

Posted by tommosaur

The videos on the Giantbomb site don't work anymore for me on the mac, on chrome, safari and firefox.

Since i can watch other flash and non flash videos around the net fine there's something up on GB end.

Please fix this GB fellas, i so want to watch the videos again.

Posted by Razputin

@Scotto said:

However, I also recognize that Patrick has an occasional tendency to use hyperbolic language when describing games he doesn't like.

It was the same thing with stealth games while talking about Mark of the Ninja during the GotY podcast. "Oh, but stealth IS SOOO BAD, HAHA!"

No, it's not. YOU don't like it, Patrick. A huge difference here.

Posted by Winternet

aawwhh!!

Great stuff, Mr. Jaffe.

Posted by Scotto

@Brackynews said:

@Scotto said:

It's not about giving an honest, unbiased opinion. It's about maintaining a basic precept of professionalism.

I bet Ben Kuchera can talk some mess. I bet Brendan Sinclair can light something on fire. Patrick tends to do fairly well maintaining a high level of professionalism and competence as one of the world's few game journalists, in my opinion. The fact that he also swears like a sailor, talks regularly about heavy drinking and hangovers, calls Nolan North an asshole to his face On Air, and constantly delights us with typos, all while barely looking old enough to be a married man... none of that reduces his skill at what he actually gets paid to do as a newshound. He's a personality and a charmingly garrulous conundrum, and I'm a fan.

(I've also met him in person, and he's just a duder.)

The GOTY podcasts are very deliberately the "pull back the curtain" impassioned, opinionated, and occasionally reckless spitballing. You should try Annoyed Gamer, 1up Yours, or even 8-4 Play. Muhfukkas will peel paint if they want to. I don't actually hold any of these folks to higher standards than comment threads, just because they have a pop screen in their face. I will call things other people enjoy "dogshit" if I really feel that way. We want Real Talk, not diplomacy and bipartisanism. And the awesome thing is, if you really desire a higher calibre of discourse about video games, anyone has complete power to make their own podcast and gain a following. I'll listen.

You're really missing the point of what I've said.

No one is asking him to talk like some buttoned-down stock broker meeting the Queen, and I'm not even criticizing the job he does at Giant Bomb. I'm generally a fan of Patrick.

However, I also recognize that Patrick has an occasional tendency to use hyperbolic language when describing games he doesn't like. Twisted Metal is not "dogshit", and judging by how fast Ryan tried to parse what he said into something a little less starkly disrespectful of a thoroughly average game, I'd say they realized he kind of stepped over a rhetorical line too.

He doesn't make some "impassioned" critique of the game - he just casually dismisses it as dogshit. Jeff talking about Mass Effect 3? That's impassioned and opinionated, and he will go into extensive detail about what he didn't like.

This is not even in the same galaxy as the time he jokingly called Nolan North an asshole, which they all had fun with.

I like the casual, personality-driven nature of GIant Bomb, and I like their unvarnished discussions. That doesn't mean I'm just going to gleefully lap up anything they say as "keepin it realz!", particularly if they don't justify such an extremely negative description.

Edited by Brackynews

@Scotto said:

It's not about giving an honest, unbiased opinion. It's about maintaining a basic precept of professionalism.

I bet Ben Kuchera can talk some mess. I bet Brendan Sinclair can light something on fire. Patrick tends to do fairly well maintaining a high level of professionalism and competence as one of the world's few game journalists, in my opinion. The fact that he also swears like a sailor, talks regularly about heavy drinking and hangovers, calls Nolan North an asshole to his face On Air, and constantly delights us with typos, all while barely looking old enough to be a married man... none of that reduces his skill at what he actually gets paid to do as a newshound. He's a personality and a charmingly garrulous conundrum, and I'm a fan.

(I've also met him in person, and he's just a duder.)

The GOTY podcasts are very deliberately the "pull back the curtain" impassioned, opinionated, and occasionally reckless spitballing. You should try Annoyed Gamer, 1up Yours, or even 8-4 Play. Muhfukkas will peel paint if they want to. I don't actually hold any of these folks to higher standards than comment threads, just because they have a pop screen in their face. I will call things other people enjoy "dogshit" if I really feel that way. We want Real Talk, not diplomacy and bipartisanism. And the awesome thing is, if you really desire a higher calibre of discourse about video games, anyone has complete power to make their own podcast and gain a following. I'll listen. Put Andy Eddy on a dozen different shows and raise everyone up a few notches, nothing would make me happier. :)

Edited by hollitz

@Brackynews said:

@hollitz said:

Creeeeepy... there's a time when that isn't a good adjective. Even here. Even with the context of David Jaffe.

Yeah because there's no more lascivious word than adorable, right? Whenever you see "fucking" used that way do you automatically assume a sexual connotation? That comedian is fucking funny. Those eggs are fucking gross. That game is fucking fun. That cat is fucking cute. That movie is too fucking long.

Posted by Smashlampjaw

@Paindamnation said:

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

I found out that he's from Alabama and frequently visits Birmingham. I live not even 45 minutes from there. I should hunt him down one day and say hi.

lol

Edited by Brackynews

@hollitz said:

Creeeeepy... there's a time when that isn't a good adjective. Even here. Even with the context of David Jaffe.

Posted by veXedbulldog

Listening to the deliberation podcasts, I admit I was surprised at the comment that Patrick made given that Jaffe has been a pretty regularly-appearing developer on the site. But I think Ryan and Jeff did a little backtracking on Patrick's behalf, or at least called him out on the "dogshit" comment. I believe that Patrick did try to contextualize his comment by stating that he had loved Twisted Metal Black, etc. and the new game by comparison was disappointing.

Jaffe has always been pretty forthcoming about his thoughts on... well, anything, on his regularly-updated blog.

Posted by Scotto

@Tesla said:

@Scotto said:

@rebgav said:

I don't understand why Jaffe keeps contributing to the site when the guys tend to shit all over him on the podcast.

Patrick made a dick comment during last week's podcasts, calling Twisted Metal "dogshit", but the others haven't, aside from genuinely wondering if car combat games really have a place in gaming at this point. I suspect that's a discussion Jaffe would love to have, not be pissed off by.

But yeah, Patrick's "dogshit" comment was pretty uncalled for. Even if you didn't dig the newest Twisted Metal, it certainly wasn't the suckiest piece shit ever made. I kind of hope Jaffe appears on their live shows at E3 this year, and confronts Patrick about it.

I would prefer that the staff give their honest opinions on games, without taking into consideration their relationship with game developers. It's called journalistic integrity.

Perhaps David Jaffe is an adult and can handle another adult thinking his game is dogshit, without feeling the need to confront anyone or never speak to Giant Bomb again.

The guys, in the past, have talked about their utmost respect for the people who make the games they play, and then Patrick just lazily tosses off the word "dogshit" to describe Twisted Metal, a game that got middling reviews at worst. And this is (presumably after, not before) they asked the mastermind behind that game to contribute to the website for them.

"Dogshit" isn't some nuanced criticism I'm asking Patrick to temper - it's just Patrick using complete hyperbole to essentially say he didn't dig that game. Sort of like when he repeatedly says stealth games are shit, only to have someone point out that one of his games of the year was a fucking stealth game. It's hyperbolic, and careless.

If the game was honestly some rushed, 1/10, broken pile of crap, then "dogshit" away.