331 Comments
Posted by Protonguy

best ending

Posted by Manlyzar

little Jaffe was funny

Posted by ManiacMaysin

I like these guest top-games features. good stuff.

Posted by m2cks

Best part of the video? That fucking chaotic whiteboard in the background; just looking at it flares up my OCD. Good list, nonetheless, Mr. Jaffe.

Posted by Qlanth

I'm not seven, but Jaffe's daughter is adorable.

Posted by EnchantedEcho

Aw his kid :D

Great list, going to check out Thirty Flights of Loving and 10,000,000.

Posted by Tarsier

I AM SEVEN lol

Posted by DrDarkStryfe

I am, and will always be, a fan of David Jaffe. He is one of the personalities in this industry that I can always trust when he speaks. His apperance on the Live E3 Bombcast a couple years ago will always be one of my favorite gaming discussions.

Posted by Esposito426

My favorite top ten.

Posted by prestonhedges

Holy shit, it's the Jaff.

Posted by CptMorganCA

It's always interesting to see developer's lists. They rarely finish games, and focus much more on smaller experiences like McPixel. It's really fun to see Jaffe name something like "Halo 4 Multiplayer" as an entry.

Posted by StarvingGamer

That ending was perfect

Posted by artofwar420

Gotta agree with Thirty Flights of Loving. Blendo Games is doing some awesome stuff. I've been a fan of them since Gravity Bone.

Posted by artofwar420

@Beomoose said:

David Jaffe > Zodiac MFer

*=

Posted by gla55jAw

Jaffe is an interesting guy. I would watch him talk about video games weekly.

Posted by Heartless_Enigma

Happy new year! Great video!

Posted by Noogy

That was fantastic! I really loved watching Jaffe give his top 10 in this personal format. I'd love to see more of these in the future!

Posted by Oombalan

Interesting, I wonder how he feels about Patrick calling his latest game dogshit on the game of the year podcasts.

Posted by Sisyphean

Adorable.

I have not even heard of Thirty Flights of Loving. I must check it out. Thanks for being awesome, Mr. Jaffe!

Posted by dr_mantas

Oh man, Jaffe did a list? Awesome.

Posted by Xbox420

Happy New Years to Jaffe and his spawn. She's too innocent to know what Giant Bomb is, give it a few more years.

Posted by aquamarin

The girl is so cute.

Posted by casper82

Am I the only one who by the half of the video was coughing and clearing his throat even though I'm not sick?

Posted by Castiel

This was definitely the most interesting list of them all and I mean that in a good way. I have never heard of Thirty Flights of Loving before, but I have to check it out now. Also that ending was pretty damn cute.

Jaffe is awesome cause he says it as he sees it, and you might not agree with him, but you can sure as hell not call him dishonest.

Posted by ToTheNines

You might not agree with every thing he says, but every point he makes comes across as being very well constructed and thought through. Brilliant guy.

Posted by MistaSparkle

You know what? I didn't really get a good idea of Jaffe from the E3 stuff, and I think I was actually leaning more towards not liking him so much, but seeing this video has changed my mind. Seems like an awesome duder and he chose some pretty interesting games too. Cool top 12, happy new years guys, and I'm 7.

Posted by DoakSim

Man, that was great! Thanks David!

Posted by SSully

@CaptRocketblaze said:

Seeing a Mickey Mouse hat on the man who lead the revival of Twisted Metal is an odd experience.

Jaffe is actually a huge Disney fan, and and even bigger Disney land fan. Kind of funny

Posted by 2HeadedNinja

Great Video, thanks David ... I AM 34!

Posted by Landon

@SSully said:

@CaptRocketblaze said:

Seeing a Mickey Mouse hat on the man who lead the revival of Twisted Metal is an odd experience.

Jaffe is actually a huge Disney fan, and and even bigger Disney land fan. Kind of funny

I think the first game he worked on was Mickey Mania

Posted by NoelVeiga

D'aaaaaaw, that ending.

Anybody else get the feeling I would have derived more enjoyment of Jaffe as a Giant Bomb staff member for the last few years than as a game designer? I don't even mean that as a criticism, even. I just love to follow that rambling, laser-fast train of thought, but he needs somebody to bounce off of when he strays.

Also, that thing he says about what he likes about Halo 4? That's exactly the reason I love Hawken. It does that so incredibly well.

Posted by CaptRocketblaze

@Landon said:

@SSully said:

@CaptRocketblaze said:

I think the first game he worked on was Mickey Mania

In that case, his next game should be Twisted Mickey.

Edited by I_smell

Yesssss I love hearing David Jaffe talk about games, seeing this thumbnail on the front page felt like a personal victory

HAhahahaha 7 year old girl in a Twisted Metal shirt

Edited by gesi1223

Out of the designers I've seen actually do interviews and talk games, Jaffe seems like one of most respectable.

@Oombalan said:

Interesting, I wonder how he feels about Patrick calling his latest game dogshit on the game of the year podcasts.

I wondered the same.

Posted by vinster345
@eagle6002

Jaffe is a class act. I hope he can get another good game off the ground.

Just going to quote this as this is exactly what I wanted to say.
Posted by TwoLines

Thirty Flights of Loving is a delightful experiment, but it's barely a game. I do think that they incorporate the jump-cuts and all those movie tricks quite well, but the interaction is minimum at best, and that's what's unique about the medium. It's interesting, but I would argue to it being as relevant as Jaffe said.

Posted by Tr0n

Hehe, nicely directed ending there.

Posted by zyn

Jaffe made a list!

Posted by OfficeGamer

While people are obsessing too much over story and visuals to remember the essence of this entertainment medium, this man passionately seeks good interactivity, because he loves to play. This industry is so misrepresented today with the misled focus on stories and characters and endings, it's like we've created our own video game Sodom and Gomorrah and forgotten the name of God (in this case God = interactivity and gameplay). I'm not religious I'm creating an analogy.

I believe the video game medium should be officially split into the two sub-genres of interactive movies and actual video games before it's too late. If that ever happens, I wonder video game journalists would cover which of those two. Hint: The Journey and The Walking Dead types.

Posted by Yorkin

I don't think I'd get along with Jaffe if we knew each other, but I still think he's a great guy. I could listen to him talk for hours about whatever he wants.

Posted by Coldman

David Jaffe- the perfect hangover cure.

Posted by Hunter5024

@OfficeGamer said:

While people are obsessing too much over story and visuals to remember the essence of this entertainment medium, this man passionately seeks good interactivity, because he loves to play. This industry is so misrepresented today with the misled focus on stories and characters and endings, it's like we've created our own video game Sodom and Gomorrah and forgotten the name of God (in this case God = interactivity and gameplay). I'm not religious I'm creating an analogy.

I believe the video game medium should be officially split into the two sub-genres of interactive movies and actual video games before it's too late. If that ever happens, I wonder video game journalists would cover which of those two. Hint: The Journey and The Walking Dead types.

I think games are at their best when narratives are complemented by the gameplay and vice versa, if we were to split it up into two different categories it would be like hamstringing the whole medium. Why can't we have both, together or separate depending on what the game is trying to do.

Posted by phrosnite

Why isn't the video working? It is probably thinking whether to show me an ad or not.... you're too slow!

Posted by HouseOfWolves

I AM SEVEN

Posted by CaLe

Jaffe seems to be constantly operating at 100mph. I hope he doesn't burn himself out too soon.

Luckily his daughter gets most of her looks from her mother :D Half asian/white kids are extra cute!

Posted by Parsnip

Good list you got there, Jaffe.

Posted by MisterWaingro

I wonder if he still would have submitted this if he heard Patrick Klepek call new Twisted Metal "garbage" on the 2012 GOTY podcasts.

Posted by rolanthas

@vinster345 said:

@eagle6002

Jaffe is a class act. I hope he can get another good game off the ground.

Just going to quote this as this is exactly what I wanted to say.

I'll just shamelessly quote both of you and agree totally.

Posted by williamflipper

Great List, Great Guy, Great Video

Posted by Picard

I like indie games as much as the next guy,.. but at E3 - just watching David stare down that hippy on the live bomb cast was classic. That dude was just mentally diluted.

That put David in my forever awesome category.