407 Comments
Posted by Danny

Loving Alex dropping the wrestling knowledge bombs. Did I hear a mention of Hayabusa in the roster breakdown??

Posted by Pyccko

Man, I spent so many hours with this game. I'd just put on a battle royale and only go for TKOs.

Posted by KittyVonDoom

This video made me happy. Thanks, Alex!

Posted by SupberUber

Being Norwegian, the odds for following wrestling was about equal to nascar. I did watch WWF in the early 90s though, so I do have sort of a core understanding for what it is; a male soap opera. I will never, ever, discuss wrestling with "you people", but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy listening to people like Spoony talk about it. It's weird, I know. Anyway! Nice to see Alex add to the pile with a title he's passionate about.

Posted by squidraid

Oh, nostalgia. This was such a great party game.

Posted by Brazzle

Goddamn I loved this game so much. That music takes me back.

Posted by MasturbatingestBear

I am pretty sure that Alex reviewed every wrestling game that came out while he worked at GameSpot. There are a lot of video reviews of those up on youtube. I only just realized that these Encyclopedia Bombastica features mean that we can see more Alex on the site which is always good.

Posted by ThePantheon

This was great Alex! Really enjoyed the solo Navarro QL of this one.

Posted by Bitch_I_Look_Like_Goku

NWO - Navarro World Order.

Posted by Cold_Wolven

This game was great playing with my friend, I would make a Puff Daddy wrestler back when he was still called that.

Edited by TehPickle

For the most parts I have no time for wresting games, but this one was GREAT! I think I technically spent more hours on its predecessor, but I'll take this happily!

EDIT: A couple of hours later I suddenly realised that I'd forgotten about Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game! That also doesn't apply to my "no time for wrestling games" rule.

I just had to set the record straight with myself there...

Posted by NicksCorner

I totally don't understand or follow wrestling, thus this video was clearly not for me. But still its great to hear from Mr. Navarro.

Posted by ghostNPC

Love it. Hope to hear more of Alex. He's such a great talker.

Posted by JSwan13

Yay Alex!

Posted by Skunkboy72

Finally! Video content from Alex!

Posted by prestonhedges

@Sunjammer said:

How the shit were you supposed to pronounce wcwnwo?

"Double U See Double U, En Double U Oh"? Why the hell would you try to pronounce it any other way?

Edited by Sunjammer

How the shit were you supposed to pronounce wcwnwo? Wack-wan-wo? Also stoked to see Alex contributing to the encyclopedia. We need everyone to pitch in. EVERY ONE.

Posted by Lashe

The thumbnail looks like that one guy is jerking off that other guy and the other guy totally digs it.

Otherwise, a fantastic video.

Posted by blaxican007

those thq published wrestling games on the n64 were fucking amazzzzinnnngggg

Posted by MoonwalkSA

holy shit, I remember playing this so goddamn much at a friend's house. I never figured out what the buttons did, and no one ever told me, but somehow it was still really fun anyway.

Posted by KaneRobot

@Alex said:

@Plipster: Are we talking Mexico Konnan? Then sure. But if we're talking WCW Konnan, he was insufferable.

Oh come on! He wasn't that bad, he...

Forget it.

Although "From the Lucha Libre to the WCW" may be the shittiest opening line in any rap song released pre-2000.

Posted by Onlyzemeryalive

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Posted by NateDogg

Weapons/Foreign objects were introduced back in the WWF Royal Rumble game on SNES but I really liked the feel of them by World Tour and this game.

Compared to the Warzone game on PS1 at the time, this game was definitely more entertaining.

Posted by Undeadpool

I think the DVD is "Rise and Fall of WCW," the book is "Death of WCW" and as a WWF fan in the attitude-era, reading that book was just LUNACY. I couldn't believe the shit that made it onscreen in that era.

And if you want a TRULY depressing game: put in any of these N64-era wrestling games and play a round of "Fired, Retired, Dead." I recently got No Mercy out of storage, and WHEW!...not an uplifting look back at the early 2000s.

Posted by Edmundus

So cool to see some AKI love on this site. Audio was a little quiet but otherwise this was fantastic. I especially enjoyed your runthrough of the roster. Can't wait for the No Mercy video!

Posted by Ryanmgraef

I loved all those aki jams.wrestlemainia2k bitches!

Posted by mrcraggle

I assume this is part of what Alex was talking about where we would see much more of him in 2013.

Posted by sublime90

i really loved this game. he's right this game happened during the peak of pro wrestling. the nwo thing was hugeeeeeee and i really loved wrestling in general during 97-00. i didnt have an n64 but my cousin did and had this game and we'd literally play it every day for hours after school. the only other wrestling game i remember liking as much as this was Smackdown 2. after that i pretty much lost interest in pro wrestling and there games.

Posted by Krixok

Alex, you are great. I want to see you in more videos.

Posted by EuanDewar

Backhanded as fuck this compliment but I really like Alex when he's on his own.

Posted by StampKiller

Holy shit, I just noticed I have the exact same sweatshirt as Alex. Fuck yeah Mastodon.

Posted by Tsuchikage

If you liked World Tour, then you'd like Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, and WWF No Mercy since they built upon the gameplay systems of World Tour.

Posted by RudeTrooper

great recap. As someone who went down the import path it was as great refresher of how the engine was changed for each license.

Posted by bmac1632

One of my favorite videos on this site in a long time.

Edited by solidlife

Oh god memories with my uncles mashing out the N64 controllers. thanks Alex

Posted by Nettacki

@Tsuchikage: World Tour was the only WCW/NWO based game that I've ever played, and I thought it was fun back then. Then again, I never played Revenge or WWF No Mercy back in the day so I guess my perspective is somewhat limited in that regard.

Posted by gaftra

I loved Raven so much. He always wore THE BEST comic book T-Shirts. Seriously, who wears a Sandman shirt?

Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116

Such a great video, Alex! It's nice to hear someone other than Jeff talk about pro wrestling, for once. I know that sounds like I'm bashing Jeff and I'm truly not. It just seems like every time Jeff talks about it, he has to put it down in some way and, while it is usually funny, sometimes it gets to be a bit much.

Anyway, I wish I had a N64 back when I was younger. I always hear people talk about No Mercy and WCW/nWo Revenge and my first wrestling game was the first Smackdown vs Raw. I remember having a BLAST playing that game! I would make up ppvs and run through the season mode and try and stack up 2 or 3 tables at once and put people on them and do the craziest moves. That's what I wish the WWE games would be now, but with updated graphics, of course. Seeing this video makes me want to buy an N64 just so I can go and get No Mercy and WCW/nWo Revenge. Maybe I'll go back through the Smackdown games that came out on the PS2 as well.

Edited by Manhattan_Project

@Alex: Video sounds great, better than Jeffs. Plus old wrestling talk is always awesome.

Any chance of you revisiting some of the "newer" stuff? Like the first Smackdown! game or the best thing Yukes ever did, Here Comes the Pain?

Edit: Holy shit just saw that Here Comes the Pain still had the Undertakers "awesome" biker BS. Just another reason its still the best game.

Posted by morrelloman

My high school days spent playing no mercy are well remembered now. Thanks Alex.

Posted by Tsuchikage

This game was a lot better than WCW World Tour, its predecessor. Of course, there were also those other horrible WCW games that Alex mentions in the video (Nitro and Backstage Assault). Those were too terrible for me to enjoy, and I'm a big wrestling fan.

I will say this, though...I enjoyed WWF Attitude the most of the N64 wrestling games. I prefer WWF/WWE to WCW (never a big fan of the latter), but mostly I enjoyed Attitude better because I could never get over the stupid way wrestlers clinched before every move in AKI's games from the time (wrestlers don't do that in "real" matches!).

Posted by MeatSim

I learned a lot about 90's wrestling today. Thanks for that?

Posted by anbumakura

Nice to have Alex in a video again, we never get to see him anymore.

Posted by Bigpaul321

Anybody else notice that when Sting and Nash walk out together the palm trees look like their junk...

Posted by Alex

@thornie: Oh holy shit I totally forgot about that game.

I didn't get a PlayStation until way late in that system's cycle, regrettably.

Staff
Posted by Alex

@Hawkerace: Body Harvest is literally sitting toward the top of my N64 to-do list. Maybe I can bump it up a notch or two.

Staff
Posted by thornie

@Alex said:

@stryker1121: WCW vs. nWo World Tour and WCW/nWo Revenge were the only two AKI WCW games released in the US. The first Virtual Pro Wrestling also had some WCW guys in it, but that only released officially in Japan. After that, it was all WWF stuff.

Alex -- Actually the first AKI WCW game released in the US was WCW Vs. The World for the PSX. It was a Virtual Pro Wrestling port for the US. Awesome game.

Posted by Mister_V

Great video Alex, You where a little quiet in the mix but other than that it was great.

Edited by Hawkerace

I'll weep if somebody does Bodyharvest for the N64, I vaguely remember that game, yet I always think of it when I think of 90s games - that and Twisted Metal 2.

good stuff - however you now just commited yourself to a corner stone of videos where we'll always want more. You better get looking at that library.

Posted by Alex

@stryker1121: WCW vs. nWo World Tour and WCW/nWo Revenge were the only two AKI WCW games released in the US. The first Virtual Pro Wrestling also had some WCW guys in it, but that only released officially in Japan. After that, it was all WWF stuff.

Staff