202 Comments
Posted by Mumrik

When he picked up that crowbar and ran back with a little laugh I got the feeling this was going to turn dark fast and that he was about to pound the characters they didn't select into pulp.

The he ran past and broke down the barrier instead.

Posted by Soulblitz

Not seen the whole video yet, but what's the situation if there's only two players? Can you do two people in co-op and the third character is AI, or shared control or something?

Posted by jozzy

@poprocksandsoda said:

This doesn't look that good at all. Hopefully it will not be another Double Fine game that is dripping with charm and style while being a dud when it comes to playing it like Brutal Legend, Costume Quest, Middle Manager of Justice, and Stacking.

Yeah, I am kind of curious (besides the look) what a lot of duders here find so interesting about this. Personally I didn't think it was very witty/funny, the framerate seemed to dip a ton, based on all the miss jumps and hang ups on ledges it didn't seem to control that well, and there was a lot of back and forward running and very simple puzzles that I have done before in other games.

This might still be a great game, but what we saw here didn't seem that great (to me).

Posted by Saethir

@Mumrik said:

When he picked up that crowbar and ran back with a little laugh I got the feeling this was going to turn dark fast and that he was about to pound the characters they didn't select into pulp.

The he ran past and broke down the barrier instead.

I legitimately thought the same thing. I got all excited for nothing. Though the princess bits kinda made up for it.

Posted by lawgiver

I didn't understand what Ron meant when he was discussing his ideas for the wiiU. Does he think the gamepad is like a portable device you can bring with you?

Posted by mracoon

Played this at Eurogamer at it seemed neat. Also got a sweet future-lady toy.

Edited by TinyGrasshopper

At first glance this just looks like Trine with some nicer writing. I'm okay with that I guess, except I haven't finished Trine or Trine 2 yet.

Why isn't the Linux version going to be on Steam at launch though? We Linux folk are never satisfied.

[EDIT: hmm, Double Fine's website says it will be on Steam for Linux at launch yet Steam's store page does not. Now I'm confused. It's a beta I guess.]

Posted by SnowyPliskin

No real offence but Ron is about as charismatic as cold noodles.

Posted by DesktopMan

@lawgiver said:

I didn't understand what Ron meant when he was discussing his ideas for the wiiU. Does he think the gamepad is like a portable device you can bring with you?

Yeah I think that's what he was thinking. He's probably not technically involved anymore so a fair error to make I guess. Not like Nintendo has been that good at telling what it is.

Posted by wewantsthering

Why is there so much background noise on GB's videos lately?

Posted by whitespider

There is another issue that I have personally had with double fine games, and that is them hardlocking a 30fps cap on their pc ports.

I politely posted a request to patch it out, or at think about adding no framerate limit in their next game on the steam forums. And for every single game we got they said they would try and update the engine, however it was not their first priority and general bug fixes had to come first.

At first this seemed reasonable but as the game's ticked by. I really had to come to the conclusion that they where one of those developers that would honestly say "we are fine with 30fps, so you should be as well"

Double fine, I get that bug fixes are important. And that you might not think that 30fps is important compared to them, however it kind of is. There are more people on the steam forums not purchasing your games due to the 30fps limitation than because a character falls through the ground in a really specific situation in extremely rare instances. The small developer reasoning ended after you made your first semi-successful game. Many comparatively tiny developers do not impose these limitations.

So, why did I bother to type all of this? Because I love double fine! That's why.

Posted by Baal_Sagoth

@RetroVirus said:

Sold on this now! The cave paintings remind me of the emotional baggage from Psychonauts. I also really like the Cave asking you to purchase the game.

I definitely got the Psychonauts vibe from the paintings as well. Very charming style and writing even though I practically expect that from Double Fine games by now. Not that I want to take away from the achievement of course.

Between the somewhat Lost Vikings/ Trine style of gameplay, the Bastion reminiscent narration full of humor and charm and the softcore adventure elements this has caught my attention for sure. The price (according to Steam right now) seems very reasonable too. I guess the one thing that I'd still like to know a little more about is how well the gameplay will flow and how compelling playing it actually is (especially in the mode I'll most likely play: SP). Seems like the Trine way of switching characters on the spot might be a little more my style. Depends on how often the party will regroup without my input. I'll keep my eye on this one.

Posted by Cykke

With no online co-op, the fps problems, the constantly annoying ledge grab problems (Come on, really?), and the fixated camera, this is definitely a pass for me.

Cool concept, but I'm really not seeing where all of that money went to. Jeebus..

Posted by DarkbeatDK

Hey guys, the volume is really low compared to every other video on the internet. Can you boost it a bit for your videos?

Posted by Anathem

@Cykke said:

With no online co-op, the fps problems, the constantly annoying ledge grab problems (Come on, really?), and the fixated camera, this is definitely a pass for me.

Cool concept, but I'm really not seeing where all of that money went to. Jeebus..

It's NOT the Kickstarter game. That's still coming.

Posted by rjayb89

Ron Gilbert reminds me of Kyle Gass with that voice of his.

Posted by Osaladin

This looks pretty neat, but I gotta say, that ledge grab looks like it can get annoying.

Posted by Nethlem

@DesktopMan said:

@lawgiver said:

Yeah I think that's what he was thinking. He's probably not technically involved anymore so a fair error to make I guess. Not like Nintendo has been that good at telling what it is.

Even if he's not technically involved anymore that's still kinda sad and might explain why the WiiU version does nothing special besides having "Pictures of the characters you can press". But true on the Nintendo part, if even Developers don't know what what the WiiU does different compared to the Wii, it says a lot about Nintendo's way to market the damn thing.

Posted by Bummey

@SnowyPliskin said:

I'm going to disagree. He's supremely calm and measured, here, which is very appealing considering the other personalities we tend to see.

Posted by algertman

@Nethlem said:

@DesktopMan said:

@lawgiver said:

Even if he's not technically involved anymore that's still kinda sad and might explain why the WiiU version does nothing special besides having "Pictures of the characters you can press". But true on the Nintendo part, if even Developers don't know what what the WiiU does different compared to the Wii, it says a lot about Nintendo's way to market the damn thing.

It also shows how stupid the developer is.

Posted by SSully

I was really skeptical at first, but this looks really fun. Ill have to pick this up.

Posted by ManiacMaysin

Game looks really fun. Wasn't sure exactly what it was until I watched this.

Posted by Sabata

Welp, pre-purchased.

Posted by EnduranceFun

@Bummey said:

@SnowyPliskin said:

I'm going to disagree. He's supremely calm and measured, here, which is very appealing considering the other personalities we tend to see.

Seconded. His considerate and intelligent speaking means you listen to every word he says. And as a result the game came across very well.

Posted by Cykke

@Anathem said:

@Cykke said:

Okay, thank you for clearing that up.

Regardless, the other issues still stand, sadly.

Posted by Rexicon

Jesus christ, who is the stick clacker. I bet its Ryan.

Posted by heatDrive88

@Cykke said:

@Anathem said:

@Cykke said:

Okay, thank you for clearing that up.

Regardless, the other issues still stand, sadly.

I think there is something good to be said about making a game that is centered around couch co-op. I personally don't like playing a lot of games online anymore, especially if it's a puzzle-oriented game. For instance, I still think Trine is a great local only experience. I still don't believe Trine 2's added online functionality creates a great experience, but that game is also a very different kind of game with it's added action sequences.

The fixed camera I believe is intentional in it's design to keep players focused and together on singular puzzles, rather than having them run off on their own completing puzzle objectives. I think it makes good sense, but I do understand how this can put off some people on first perception about the general nature of more co-op games.

Otherwise, I think keeping the camera fixated to an active player is a well-conceived choice for the kind of game that entails, especially as a couch co-op kind of game.

Posted by zombie2011

Really like what this game is about, love the animation of the knight.

I actually think the camera thing is really cool, playing Trine 2 with people sucks when they just run ahead of you, so this is a nice balance.

Posted by mostman

I'm literally laughing out loud at the confusion over this being the kickstarter. Folks. There is this website. Called Giant Bomb or something. They have this really cool database that tells you all about games! You should check it out. Like look at this: http://www.giantbomb.com/double-fine-productions-inc/65-2215/developed_games/

Posted by CornBREDX

I didn't watch all of it because I didn't want to spoil it too much, but what I saw it looks great and also funny. 
Really looking forward to playing this!

Posted by ripelivejam

and the giant bomb complaint factory rages on...

Posted by Rmack

@ripelivejam said:

and the giant bomb complaint factory rages on...

You should complain about it.

Posted by Bourbon_Warrior

@Tregard said:

Boo for no Off-TV Play on Wii U version, please patch it in :(

What that is something the developers have to do?

I thought it was just a Wii U feature.

Posted by beard_of_zeus

Wasn't sure what this was, but looks quite fun (and actually pretty funny, too!). Only thing I noticed was some weird ledge-grabbing wonkiness with regards to the platforming.

Interested to see what Alex thinks with his review. I'm hoping for some insight in how much replayability the different characters offer.

Posted by kilroyandy

w.w.w.w.w.w.w.w.w.w.w.w.want!!! Anything by Ron Gilbert should be amazing. Gameplay looks pretty solid and i'm sure the puzzles will get tougher than those seen on the quick look (hopefully). A nice new Adventure Game idea. Sold.

Posted by Jimi
@Krathoon

Heey. Guy in the middle. Stop being a pill.

Posted by Sessh

I really like the concept, but I'm not sure if I can stand the awful lot of backtracking that seems to be involved here.

Posted by Konig2540

@Bummey said:

@SnowyPliskin said:

I'm going to agree with you Bummey, especially since he works with Tim Schafer and Brad Muir. His personality probably provides a perfect counter to theirs so they can get things from all facets imaginable. Without the counter to Tim and Brad, those games would be just...nuts...

Edited by Dan_CiTi

@Osaladin said:

This looks pretty neat, but I gotta say, that ledge grab looks like it can get annoying.

Yeah I'm sure speedrunners will discover some clipping or other speedy trick that makes the game faster, like backwalking in Ocarina of Time. But yes, I wish the platforming was a bit quicker or more fluid, even though the game isn't "about that" really.

@TinyGrasshopper: Well I thought of that too, though Trine has plenty of combat and such, and this game looks like you won't be having much of that kind of action at all.

Posted by IzzyGraze

I think this game needs some fine tuning but I'll probably still pick it up. I generally like Double-Fine stuff.

Posted by Sweetz

So when playing this single player, will the the other characters follow you until you have them hold a lever or something, or do you have to individually move each one? That would seem like it could become quite tedious.

Posted by Evilsbane

Some weird control issues going on, not perfect but everything else looks great The Cave voice is fucking ace.

Posted by Velamo05

@DeviTiffany said:

Is it bad that after watching this I'm way more interested in playing that hypothetical "perfect murder" game Ron Gilbert mentioned than this game? This does look fun though.

My EXACT thought

Posted by spilledmilkfactory

Love the concept and the hidden illustrations, but man... I hate more traditional adventure games.

Posted by Carlos1408

Looks great, might give it a gander. I'm sure it'd be really fun to play with friends. :)

Posted by Fuzzy_Dunlop

Looks interesting to me. I've been having a hankering for a new, good adventure game and some puzzle solving for a while. Me and some of my internet pals have been looking for some games to play together, and I gotta say I'm kind of bummed this has no online co-op. I'm sure there was some valid design decision that prevented online play rather than plain laziness. Still going to check this out when I get the time though.

Posted by SatelliteOfLove

Hearing about the Monk's abilities it sounds like "balance in imbalance" I have a jonesin' for.

Posted by VibratingDonkey

Could use some GUIHUD for which character what player is controlling.

When it comes to the co-oping I get the impression that's not really what the game was designed for. The above and the thing with other players having to wait around as one of them goes off on some puzzley traversal escapade.

Other than the janky ledgegrabbing the core game seems fine though.

@Sweetz said:

So when playing this single player, will the the other characters follow you until you have them hold a lever or something, or do you have to individually move each one? That would seem like it could become quite tedious.

Ought to be some variation of the first example as the second one is dumb. I'm going to baselessly assume that if you swap character as you're doing a thing that character will continue doing the thing until you swap back.

Posted by Slax

This looks really cool. I think I will play it. With that said though, there is a lot of back and forth in this video...

Posted by I_smell

Alright I'm gon' say it: between this and Deathspank Bacon Whatever, this guy is not funny. 
and all this reading and listening to characters talk in a co-op game? Is everyone supposed to be quiet while the king tells you what to do, or whenever the cave talks?

I dunno, man! I don't wanna come down hard on Double-Fine, so hey, I'm still interested in those Amnesia Fortnight games even if I really don't like The Cave.