202 Comments
Posted by neato

if anyone says that gb is too nice in quick look ex's, point them to this video.

Posted by Tesla

The Cave seems charming and wry smile funny as opposed to side splitting funny. Why this is bad I don't know, so fuck the haters on this one. Even if it's not the best game I bet it will be interesting and fun for people with friends and/or people who grew up playing Maniac Mansion and LucasArts games in general.

Respect the game kids, this dude was making fan favorite hits back when you were just swingin in your daddy's nutsack.

Posted by chikin_n_rofls

This looks pretty cool. Not going to lie though, I cringed a bit at the thought of Ryan and Patrick solving puzzles heh.

Posted by RYNO9881

Looks great.

Posted by radioactivez0r

@poprocksandsoda: What exactly was a dud about Costume Quest? It's easily my favorite release of theirs thus far, the mechanics were simplistic, but very enjoyable.

Posted by ALavaPenguin

This game I did not know about till this quicklook, but it honestly looks like a game I will have a lot of enjoyment playing. Looks like my sort of game.

Now just to decide what to buy it on lol!

Posted by Fattony12000

@Dan_CiTi said:

@Osaladin said:

This looks pretty neat, but I gotta say, that ledge grab looks like it can get annoying.

Yeah I'm sure speedrunners will discover some clipping or other speedy trick that makes the game faster, like backwalking in Ocarina of Time.

Backwalking, huh?

Get storage.

Swim oceans.

Posted by LucidDreams117

Ever since seeing that "Meet the Characters" trailer, I've been anticipating this game. Couple more days! Looks great. Also, this is one of the few Quick Looks EX that I enjoyed. Normally they are just such a drag!

Posted by HoM3R

The concept of this game is just terrible, there might be a problem with the gameplay of adventure games in this era of gaming, but adding generic platforming is not a way to make this "fun". There is a huge amount of backtracking like in any adventure game and even running the same part two or three times with different charachters. It also seems that the platforming isnt that well worked out and can be frustrating, alot of random ledge and ladder grabs in this QL.

Feel like the core concept only makes this well worked out and fun adventure game an even bigger pill to swallow.

Posted by JoeyRavn

Oh, man, Ron is grumpy indeed. When the game was revealed to be a demo... that moment was tense. And those awkward silences... *shivers*

Posted by jonnyboy

This looks like a Gilbert joint for sure.

Also you'll notice the distinct lack of "Oh my god the framerate", "Look at the screen tearing", "I'll wait for the pc version"in this quicklook.

Posted by Asseroth

@jonnyboy said:

Also you'll notice the distinct lack of "Oh my god the framerate", "Look at the screen tearing", "I'll wait for the pc version"in this quicklook.

Yea, imo they should say it more often. Console games that are not exclusives often have terrible framerate drops and mainstream outlets like IGN NEVER says anything

Posted by jonnyboy

@Asseroth said:

@jonnyboy said:

Yea, imo they should say it more often. Console games that are not exclusives often have terrible framerate drops and mainstream outlets like IGN NEVER says anything

My point was they bring it up every week, but not infront of Gilbert. I'm kind of sick of hearing it. We know the 360 and ps3 have wonky framerates, they are 7 year old machines running 8 year old hardware, no shit the frame rates are inconsistent. We don't need a discussion about it every week.

Posted by AroNoah

How tall is Greg Rice?

Posted by boondibis

Ron Gilbert at Giant Bomb! Awesome. Ron Gilbert will always be a legend for basically creating the modern graphic adventure. I'm always interested in what he's working on.

Posted by Superfriend

Does every Doublefine game have to have some stupid gimmicky mechanic tacked on just for whatever?

I shudder at the thought of wannabe RTS mechanics or first person shooting in Doublefine Adventure.

Posted by AssInAss

@HoM3R said:

The concept of this game is just terrible, there might be a problem with the gameplay of adventure games in this era of gaming, but adding generic platforming is not a way to make this "fun". There is a huge amount of backtracking like in any adventure game and even running the same part two or three times with different charachters. It also seems that the platforming isnt that well worked out and can be frustrating, alot of random ledge and ladder grabs in this QL.

Feel like the core concept only makes this well worked out and fun adventure game an even bigger pill to swallow.

Is it well worked out or not?

Posted by BombaLuigi

so, no online-coop huh?

i'll pass then...

Edited by dr_mantas

I'm pretty sure I'll play this solo on the PC. Because that's the way I like it.

Edit: Hold on, is this even playable solo?

Posted by weslash

Really? Scientist, time traveler and adventurer are women and hillbilly, dorky knight and monk are men?

Imagine the uproar if stupid blonde with big boobs, princess and nun were women and the other ones men.

Posted by Christoffer

@dr_mantas said:

I'm pretty sure I'll play this solo on the PC. Because that's the way I like it.

Edit: Hold on, is this even playable solo?

Yes, they said so in the Quick Look. When you play solo you just switch between the characters. Similar to Lost Vikings I guess.

Posted by Rasmoss

@weslash said:

Really? Scientist, time traveler and adventurer are women and hillbilly, dorky knight and monk are men?

Imagine the uproar if stupid blonde with big boobs, princess and nun were women and the other ones men.

Or imagine a game where the characters consisted entirely of big breasted women with outrageous jiggle physics. Imagine the uproar.

Posted by weslash

@Rasmoss said:

@weslash said:

Or imagine a game where the characters consisted entirely of big breasted women with outrageous jiggle physics. Imagine the uproar.

So two wrongs make a right is what you're saying?

Posted by KestrelPi

I met Ron Gilbert when he came to the UK to promote The Cave a while back. It's true, he doesn't have the charisma of Tim or the enthusiasm of Brad but he was very friendly, seemed genuinely interested in talking to people and had a whole lot of time for us all.

There was also a whole stack of those miniatures, and eventually after opening about 20 of them (obviously I put the ones I already had back) I figured out a gambling 'system' from the way they were stacked to give myself a good chance of getting all 7. I told it to the next person to come along and they picked 7 different figures out first time. Many boxes were opened that night, and hey, my Twins stand up fine! (though admittedly they do fall over quite easily if provoked)

Posted by KestrelPi

@VibratingDonkey: When I played it, you did have to individually move each one, SORT of, but whenever you enter a new area they will teleport over to join you. This seems like it'll work, judging by the way the Castle was laid out - every room was pretty easy to get to from everywhere else, and different characters are doing different things, so most of the time there'd be no need to have to constantly be repositioning guys.

Posted by Grissefar

I don't know man, wouldnt it be better to have only three characters and in return get some real banter and perhaps better puzzles?

Posted by Paindamnation

@weslash said:

@Rasmoss said:

@weslash said:

So two wrongs make a right is what you're saying?

Nope. Tits make everything better.

Edited by mnzy

@weslash said:

I get the hillbilly, but what's wrong with knight and monk? They are all dorky.

Posted by crusader8463

Some of those puzzles look like they would not be fun. Several times he had to show them what to do because he made them. Not sure how fun that will be to try and figure out. Especially with the lack of a map to see where things are.

Posted by Tregard

@Bourbon_Warrior: Allegedly it only takes a couple of lines of code, but yeah, it's an optional feature that the developer has to implement.

Posted by Seb

FRAMERATE

Posted by dropabombonit

The purchase full game option coming up was hilarious, good thing there was a Plan B

Posted by walter_sobchak

@drakesfortune Same here. Youtube is the only place I can get a consistent HD playback of GB vids.

Posted by walter_sobchak

@SnowyPliskin said:

No real offence but Ron is about as charismatic as cold noodles.

Yeah, and I bet you're a real charmer.

Posted by Will_M

Is the cave voice the guy who plays Gaston (sp?) from Beauty and the Beast? Nooooo oooone FIGHTS LIKE GASTON... is all i can think of now >.<

I'll definitely pick this up on a steam sale at some point.

Posted by Slaegar
@Dberg said:

@edeo said:

Unlike Trine I'd actually want to play this game.

Not a fan of the messy imprecise physics in Trine. Even the elaborate ornate graphics seem overcooked.

Agreed. I can't stand physics puzzles, especially not block puzzles. Half Life 2 did it ages ago, and games like Trine has run it into the ground since then. Physics is okay when it's just background noise, not the main mechanic.

As much as I want to disagree. I couldn't even get through the Trine 2 demo without losing my interest. Its a shame because I love love love how that game looks.
Posted by Asger

Anyone tried the Wii U version? How's the framerate?

Posted by Dan_CiTi

@Fattony12000 said:

@Dan_CiTi said:

@Osaladin said:

This looks pretty neat, but I gotta say, that ledge grab looks like it can get annoying.

Yeah I'm sure speedrunners will discover some clipping or other speedy trick that makes the game faster, like backwalking in Ocarina of Time.

Backwalking, huh?

Get storage.

Swim oceans.

If only superswimming in The Wind Waker was as easy as it is in Ocarina of Time.

Posted by Hansolol

Hate EX.

Posted by elko84

Disappointed there is no online multiplayer component.

Posted by BlueWolverine

38:30 Azula?

Posted by Cashewual

@Hansolol: Then don't watch it, simple as that.

Posted by TheFrostedGamer

You can make the argument that putting vending machines in a cave is grossly irresponsible, but c'mon. It’s different when it’s a woman, this is over the line, and Sid Meiers should have known better.

Posted by Hansolol

@Cashewual: I'm letting them know. I'm a paying customer.

Posted by zymbo

Niffty, reminds me of Trine.

Posted by kamuz

@darkvare said:

is this what came out of the double fine kickstarter?

No, this is the one that only Ron Gilbert was working on.

Posted by Vrikk

@Hansolol said:

Hate EX.

They definitely have to dial back their true opinions, which is a shame.

Posted by avantegardener

Trying to make the twins figure stand up made me laugh more than it should have!

Posted by Menkhor

I got 10 minutes into this then decided to stop so that I wouldn't spoil anything.

It has already sold me based on the art style and voice overs alone, and seems like my kind of game. Will be grabbing this for sure.

Posted by das9000

I think that "Matt"/the other guy is a companion-bodyguard android.