2527 Comments
Edited by Archaen

@CptBedlam said:

@FormLikeRONLOTV said:

I found the statue to be in poor taste, but not offensive.

Yup, pretty much how I see it.

So, what are the ~2500 comments about, guys?

People telling other people "I'm offended and you should be too, because it's objectively offensive." And those other people replying, naturally with "I don't think it's offensive and here's why."

Posted by TooWalrus

@2kings said:

It's a free speech thing guys. [...] You can't say that-

heh.

Posted by Snakepond

Where's the sexism in decapitated, arm less, legless, blood soak torso?

I agree it's nasty and distasteful, but if someone wants to buy the stupid thing let them.

Have any of you played Dead Island? I have and the entire game is about killing zombies on an island filled with bikini girls and surfer boys.

Posted by skunkdragon

If only there was as much debate over the the gun laws that are held so dear.

Posted by 2kings

@TooWalrus said:

@2kings said:

It's a free speech thing guys. [...] You can't say that-

heh.

Way to take it Completely out of context. The spirit of my post is this. When FOX news get's all upity about our hobby we get crazy upset, how is this type of rehtoric any different? Also I still beg the question, who made any of us the gatekeepers of the morally just as it applies to this type of art? I see no one disputing that so let's proceed with the fact that this is indeed art. Regardless of our feelings on what it may or may not represent, it is somebody's creation is it not. Rap music is beloved and despised by millions. You could also say that Rap music is well known for it's deliberate sexism.

We accept it as "ART". Even though it's depiction of women has been overtly objectifying for decades. I guess what I'm saying is this, sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad and hope that the market will reflect the values we hope humanity holds. Just, if you're gonna have a "standard", you gotta hold everything else up to it. Otherwise you're just a hypocrite.

Posted by lazyturtle

So...beating people/zombies to death with clubs, axes, swords, guns, bombs, pipes, rakes, knives, bats...etc, etc. is fine, but show some unrealistic boobies..and OUTRAGE!

I honestly don't know who would actually WANT it, but its kinda a non-issue to me.

It seriously trips me out that the issue is that its a scantily clad woman's torso rather than the fact that it is a DISMEMBERED TORSO. Perspective people.

Edited by CptBedlam

@lazyturtle said:

So...beating people/zombies to death with clubs, axes, swords, guns, bombs, pipes, rakes, knives, bats...etc, etc. is fine, but show some unrealistic boobies..and OUTRAGE!

I honestly don't know who would actually WANT it, but its kinda a non-issue to me.

It seriously trips me out that the issue is that its a scantily clad woman's torso rather than the fact that it is a DISMEMBERED TORSO. Perspective people.

That's America for you. Maximum violence and no one cares but show a nipple and it becomes a story on all news channels.

In my opinion, sexual objectification and sexism are two different things. I'd consider it sexist if a woman was denied a job position because of her sex despite being equally or better qualified, for example. But criticising sexual objectification is just denying our innate instincts. Yes, it may be the cheapest method in the world for selling a product (if you want to complain, criticize the lazyness of the approach) and in this case it's utterly tasteless, too, but I wouldn't call this statue sexist.

Posted by Corvak

Write something else and get this bloody torso off the frontpage.

Edited by masterfaculty

<p>The point is they would NEVER make a perfectly sculpted male torso, you dipshits.</p>

Edited by dsbnh

@crcruz3 said:
Oh, yes. A creatonist like Friedrich Hayek, a Nobel Laureate.

There is no such thing as a Nobel prize in economics, so he cannot possibly be a Nobel Laureate.

There's a Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, but that isn't the same thing as a Nobel prize. It only exists because bankers paid a shitload of money to the Nobel prize committee. Nobel himself never established any such prize because economics is not a science. As you yourself so wonderfully illustrate, it is a largely malleable set of ideas intended to support your pet political agenda.

Posted by Brodehouse

REALLY?!

Posted by Nonused

Ha ha ha...hahaha

HAHAHAHA!

Posted by Humanity

REALLY?!

Don't take the Nobel Laureate nomination lightly you philistine.

Edited by HatKing

I think I might love this.

Posted by Nekroskop

Do some people not understand the concept of time? People should be warned for necroing threads this old.

Edited by believer258

Motherfucker.

Posted by Hunter5024

Well this made me laugh out loud.

Edited by GreggD
Posted by joshwent

Do some people not understand the concept of time? People should be warned for necroing threads this old.

I'd almost always agree. Though seeing that after 51 pages this pointless argument over a little statue oppressing women has turned into fury over economics and Nobel prize specifics, kind of warms my heart.

Posted by afabs515

Sweet! It's back! Now I don't feel bad that I didn't post on this the first time. Can't wait to see a revival of this crucial discussion of women's representations in the games industry that is so often ignored.

Posted by believer258
Posted by Evilsbane
Edited by laserbolts

There is no god.

Edited by Brodehouse

@laserbolts: Finally something in this thread I agree with!

Is it possible to lock articles? Does Sweep have that power? This thing might be open forever and 8 months from now someone will pop up to argue that it's technically a bust and not a statue.

Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies

Stahp.

Posted by laserbolts

@laserbolts: Finally something in this thread I agree with!

Is it possible to lock articles? Does Sweep have that power? This thing might be open forever and 8 months from now someone will pop up to argue that it's technically a bust and not a statue.

it's both duh.

Posted by Brodehouse

@laserbolts: You're supposed to wait 8 months to argue with me!