2527 Comments
Posted by marcusofadown

So many awful, ignorant and plain dumb responses to this excellent article from Patrick. My god, what are some of you thinking?

Yeah, I get it, you don't think this is anything to discuss or even talk about. Yeah, you are tired of it and yada yada. Fine, go away and stop fucking commenting articles on the matter then. Why are you even commenting at all?

This is, actually, a very important subject matter and something that we must always adress if we want the game industry to truly evolve. Equality is key, in all walks of life. How can anyone not agree with that? The breast-torso-horrorshow is just a perfect and tragic example of an industry that needs to grow the fuck up in many aspects.

How can you not understand that making both men and women feel equally welcome and embraced in the gaming community is a good thing for ALL OF US? From a marketing stand-point, from an artistic stand-point, from a gamers stand-point. We all gain something from having our beloved industry become more equal.

Edited by EnduranceFun

Not convinced one iota this is a sexist issue. It's a matter of bad taste.

Klepek has a distorted world view and allows it to affect his, er, news articles.

Posted by Ohnoshinobi

@TwoSe7enFive said:

Here we go again ...

WE.GET.IT!!!! Bad taste. Female form bad. Video game marketing evil.

I'm really getting tired of this progressive bull-shit.

No we don't "get it" because it happens all the time.

Posted by Oginam

I like this format. You should try and use it for non-controversial stuff sometime, although it may be a bit harder to contextualize.

Also, ignore the people making personal attacks against you or calling GB "Kotaku" or any of that nonsense. They aren't worth a response.

Posted by asantosbr

These girls need to get a live, and find something better to complain about... There is nothing wrong with the statue.

And please Giant Bomb, Patrick in special, stop with this one sided crappy coverage. Is there nothing better to write about?

Posted by Carousel

@LikeaSsur said:

"Eight Women, Eight Responses, And Every Response is The Same."

Hey. This is like Watergate.

But is Patrick Woodward or Bernstein?

Posted by scalpel

@Hobosunday said:

Doesn't Patrick know this is a website about VIDEO GAMES?!

But seriously, anyone who thinks this is a good idea should wonder if it's okay if they decided to sell a man's bloody torso with a humongous bulge in a union jack speedo and sculpted to god-like perfection.

You probably wouldn't think it's a good idea.

You probably would think it was dumb and pointless.

You probably would never put it in your room and feel proud about it.

You might even get angry, saying that this was a real dumb move on the developer's part.

But you think this bloody woman torso was not?

I wouldn't care and I imagine that's the consensus. How could you?

Posted by jbuchan76

I so have a crush on Anna Kipnis..

Posted by Elwoodan

is gender equality an issue in the games industry? yes.

Is it something we need to call out and discuss regularly until we find answers/compromises? yes.

is this, a TORSO. STATUE. a gender issue? no. if you take the time to really stare at that thing, and size up the quality of it's tits, you've already spent way too much time on the subject.

That said, Anna Kipnis is awesome, and continues to be awesome.

Posted by depecheload

@Brandino said:

Sexist statue? No, extremely stupid idea? Yes, they should of never went through with the torso but it's not sexist.

Oh, well I'm glad you, the master of deciding what is sexist, has declared that a sexed-up boob-heavy disembodied female torso made solely to titillate male gamers isn't sexist. Wow. Awesome. Thanks for that.

He solved it everyone! We can shut down the Internet now.

Posted by CaptainCharisma

I don't see why so many people are up in arms about this article. Just don't read it if you don't want to hear what women think about it. Go ahead and complain when there were people that were legitimately offended by the statue. Personally, I just think it's a stupid statue that only weirdos would buy and display. I don't see why people are so offended but I'm not going to verbally lambast Patrick for letting women speak their mind when the issue involves women.

Edited by EnduranceFun

@Ohnoshinobi said:

@TwoSe7enFive said:

Here we go again ...

Who is 'we?'

Ah, I see, this time the argument is whether this is sexist at all. Lets just agree to disagree on that. Some think it is, some think it isn't and it's purely subjective.

Kudos to Klepek for gathering the viewpoints by the way, and not just in Tweet form. Though I think it as it's not sexist in my opinion, it would've been better to phrase it less specifically and talk about issues of crass, marketing and get opinions from non-females in the gaming industry. That would make me happy.

Posted by WolfHazard

Whats up with all the Patrick hate?

Posted by DevourerOfTime

Oh hey, first few pages in the comments are full of hateful, spiteful people. Who would have thought?

Posted by sephirm87

@MasturbatingestBear said:

@alibson said:

Giant Bomb is my number one stop for extremist feminist propaganda.

Lets be honest, the statue was kind of moronic on their part.

Your statement is perfectly true except for the "kind of" part.

Posted by Fungiefips

@marcusofadown: We're commenting because we love the site, and are dismayed that this particular bullshit story has now been a featured article TWICE. When Anita Sarkeesian is getting death threats, or women inside the industry want to comment on the sexism they face, then yes it is a valid article and subject to talk about. But Klepek doesn't offer that, his articles are pure Kotaku-shit from which he can claim moral superiority without offering any sort of thoughtful discourse on it.

Edited by posh

oh my god these fucking comments

"stop posting about real life serious issues and post exclusively about video games, a thing you do all the time anyway!" please know that the vocal majority will just never learn and keep posting these great articles. the comments are full of men's rights activists who seem to forget we've been living in a male dominated society forever, and that the issues mentioned in this article prove that

Posted by PulledaBrad

Man I really wish GB had a "Editorial" or "OP/ED" section instead of labeling this stuff as "News". I think alot of the bitching would become calmer if it was presented as an opinion piece instead of being passed off as news. Post the article about the sumb ass statue then an accompanying piece about your thoughts on it

I see this as a silly issue honestly, looking at the world today. Case in point is Malala Yousufzai, a Pakistani teen that wrote a blog about providing education to women in her area. Being led by the Taliban, al group of me stopped her bus, called her out by name and shot her in the head. For wanting women to get an education. Thankfully she survived. With stuff like this going on, calling a fucking statue that is a womans torso sexist is the epitome of "first world problems"

http://abcnews.go.com/International/malala-yousufzai-pakistani-girl-killed-taliban-rushed-uk/story?id=17479249

Posted by marcusofadown

@2HeadedNinja said:

Geeze ... I understand that some people dont like that thing, heck I didnt like it ... but some of the comments in the article are downright offensive to me as a male ...

"To a woman like me, it's sickening because it represents how some men see real-life women every day."

really? So when women use a vibrator should I be offended because "thats how they see real-life man every day"?

Yes, that's a perfectly reasonable, logical comparison.

*sigh*

Edited by LarcenousLaugh

On a more positive note: Thanks for the follow up, Patrick. Maybe one day we'll be more upset that it was a fake cut-up human as a tchotchke rather then just a woman, but at least some of us are still human enough to realize that something about it wasn't right.

Posted by EvilKatarn

@Zornack said:

Huh, thought I clicked a giantbomb link. How'd I end up on Kotaku?

Not a single opinion, not a single voice, that it's just a statue bust that no one gives a fuck about, just eight paragraphs about how hateful, sexist and misogynistic the video game industry is.

Quality journalism.

Most of those were actually pretty down to earth... compared to Klepek who makes this look like the most vile thing ever and one that'll push video games a 1000 years back.

Posted by InsidiousTuna

Bunch of people here get that yes, the statue is cheap, crass, and in poor taste. Then they get angry that women are offended by it, and they're angry that we think it merits discussion? Man, I hate the internet sometimes. It's a cheap, crappy, exploitative and violent statue. How dense do you have to be to not understand who it's exploiting, or why that might bum women out? Good post, Klepek, and thanks to all the ladies that took the time to write up a response.

Posted by Shimmy

@Fungiefips said:

Hey cool, more Kotaku-level clickbait bullshit from Klepek. About a subject that was slightly crass, definitely out-of-touch, and a shade misogynistic, yet "DONT CALL HIM GABEN - Patrick Tricky Scoops Kleptok" decided it was worth posting another one of his "look at me I'm so advanced with my views about the patriarchy". This shit should have been a complete non-issue, yet Klepek continues to muddle up the front page with this bullshit. But I guess it got a reaction, and since Klepek's only possible value is to push bullshit like this to get page views, I'll have to grow accustomed to seeing more of this shit.

Glad to see you've chosen to take the high road.

Posted by Kohlstream

What disturbs me the most about this statue is that many peoples first reaction was "Thats fucked up because its SEXIST" and not "Thats fucked up because its A FUCKING MUTILATED TORSO WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT IN YOUR HOME?"

It's a shame Patrick couldn't (or perhaps wouldn't?) find anyone to defend it. Would have made the article 100% more interesting and no so full on one-sided.

Posted by DeathbyYeti

but what does Patrick think?

Posted by depecheload

"OMG WOMEN SUCK AND OVERREACT AND ARE RUINING OUR FUN AND THEY SHOULD LIGHTEN UP AND THEY SHOULD SHUT UP WHILE THEY'RE ARE IT THE STUPID BITCHES. AND PATRICK NEEDS TO STOP TALKING ABOUT SHIT LIKE THIS AND START TALKING ABOUT ACTUAL GAME NEWS CUZ THIS ISN'T NEWS CUZ ITS ABOUT BITCHES AND WHO CARES WHAT THEY THINK!! WAAAAAAH!"

- every comment on this article.

Congrats boys for proving the gamer stereotype of the sex-starved man-child who is incapable of comprehending the female gender still has reason for existing.

Creeps.

Posted by Efesell

I just had hoped this was more of a discussion and not just more "Yikes this thing was pretty terrible right?"

Posted by Deathpooky

I'm completely with you Patrick on thinking it was a moronic, sexist promotion, not a non-issue. I don't see why it calls for any more attention though. Call it out and move on. At this point the game has earned more attention through its stupid promotion than they would have otherwise.

Posted by 2HeadedNinja

@Fungiefips said:

"DONT CALL HIM GABEN - Patrick Tricky Scoops Kleptok"

Heh ... other than you I like Patrick ... but that thing in the Bombcast rubbed me the wrong way, I have no idea where that came from.

Edited by Abendlaender

@Fungiefips said:

@marcusofadown: We're commenting because we love the site, and are dismayed that this particular bullshit story has now been a featured article TWICE. When Anita Sarkeesian is getting death threats, or women inside the industry want to comment on the sexism they face, then yes it is a valid article and subject to talk about. But Klepek doesn't offer that, his articles are pure Kotaku-shit from which he can claim moral superiority without offering any sort of thoughtful discourse on it.

OH GOD! TWO ARTCILES? TWO? Oh no, this site is doomed. i'm canceling my subscription right now. Man two, that is like...one more then one!

Posted by ETPC

hahah yes, how DARE you be progressive and attempt to make people realize that this gross thing is extremely fucking demeaning and is honestly incredibly disturbing. how dare you do this thing, patrick. i just want to play Slaughering Foreigners With Assault Rifles 46 in peace!!!!!!

if you want games to EVER be taken seriously, learn to look at criticism of how fucking childish our hobby is at it's very core.

Posted by WesleyWyndam

Great read, Patrick. Thanks for posting this. Though people want to scream that this isn't a big deal, it's a symptom of a larger problem, and there's no reason articles like this about problems on any scale can't exist.

Posted by 2HeadedNinja

@depecheload said:

"OMG WOMEN SUCK AND OVERREACT AND ARE RUINING OUR FUN AND THEY SHOULD LIGHTEN UP AND THEY SHOULD SHUT UP WHILE THEY'RE ARE IT THE STUPID BITCHES. AND PATRICK NEEDS TO STOP TALKING ABOUT SHIT LIKE THIS AND START TALKING ABOUT ACTUAL GAME NEWS CUZ THIS ISN'T NEWS CUZ ITS ABOUT BITCHES AND WHO CARES WHAT THEY THINK!! WAAAAAAH!"

Congrats boys for proving the gamer stereotype of the sex-starved man-child who is incapable of comprehending the female gender still has reason for existing.

Creeps.

idk what comment-section you were reading ... but it seems to me that most people just say this thing was blown way out of proportion.

Posted by Ravenlight

@LikeaSsur said:

"Eight Women, Eight Responses, And Every Response is The Same."

It would have been a much more interesting article if there was some variation of opinion/perspective from the ladies whose writings were featured.

It's great that issues like sexism and stupid torsos are being talked about but the article is more of an echo chamber for a someone who's mind is completely made up than a discussion of any kind.

Posted by wewantsthering

@EnduranceFun said:

Not convinced one iota this is a sexist issue. It's a matter of bad taste.

Klepek has a distorted world view and he lets it affect his 'job.'

Because you don't agree with him, he has a distorted view? Interesting viewpoint.

As a side note: Anna Kipnis is awesome! :-)

Posted by Ohnoshinobi

@EnduranceFun said:

@Ohnoshinobi said:

@TwoSe7enFive said:

Here we go again ...

Who is 'we'

The men on this comment thread deciding what women should feel objectified by. There are eight opinions from actual women, who have a much more informed opinion on what they would find offensive, and those opinions are being marginalized by men.

Edited by Giganteus
@Mirado said:

I'm kinda confused about the purpose of this article. Would any woman say that the statue was fine? Would any man agree that this wasn't a stupid idea? This is just "Newsflash: Women think torso statue is stupid at best and offensive at worst...which is exactly what every article on the subject already stated." but with eight people saying it at once.

The only story here involves finding out whatever drugs Deep Silver was on when they figured this was going to work out great for them.

Well, it's for the purpose of highlighting sexism in the industry and in general. Though most people know what this is, so it's kind of repetitive. I appreciate Patrick's article for that, but I felt like I was basically hearing the same opinion from every response. I also understand Patrick feels like that's justified and needed, but why have 8 people basically saying the same thing? That's odd to me if you're going to submit an article like this. It's not very diverse.

(just some constructive feedback, Patrick)
Edited by joshthebear

And here come the assholes in force to yell as loud as they can. If you didn't find the statue absolutely distasteful and disgusting, then I don't know what to think of you.

Great job , keep it up.

Also:

Posted by EnduranceFun

@2HeadedNinja said:

@depecheload said:

Creeps.

idk what comment-section you were reading ... but it seems to me that most people just say this thing was blown way out of proportion.

Posted by Brandino

@depecheload said:

@Brandino said:

Sexist statue? No, extremely stupid idea? Yes, they should of never went through with the torso but it's not sexist.

Oh, well I'm glad you, the master of deciding what is sexist, has declared that a sexed-up boob-heavy disembodied female torso made solely to titillate male gamers isn't sexist. Wow. Awesome. Thanks for that.

Cool story bro.

Posted by Milkman

No matter is already happening in these comments (I haven't looked) or what's going to happen in these comments, I just want to say that I thought this article was fantastic and one of my favorite things you've ever done on the site, Patrick. Great job.

Posted by DukesT3

Remember BMX XXX? Yeaaaah.

Posted by the_dudefather

Shut up Patrick! We need to stop talking about issues like these right now and concentrate what REALLY matters!... Devil may cry getting 5 stars!

Posted by Darji

@marcusofadown said:

@2HeadedNinja said:

Geeze ... I understand that some people dont like that thing, heck I didnt like it ... but some of the comments in the article are downright offensive to me as a male ...

"To a woman like me, it's sickening because it represents how some men see real-life women every day."

really? So when women use a vibrator should I be offended because "thats how they see real-life man every day"?

Yes, that's a perfectly reasonable, logical comparison.

*sigh*

No but it is as stupid as the other claim.

I feel offended when someone but a chainsaw gun in a collectors edition because it is advertising violence. No other form of media is I am sorry "as butthurt" as the gaming industry. I see troupes in TV shows and sexism in movies all the time but there it seems way more ok than in video games. It is just stupid....

Its not like these people thought. "Yeah that is what a woman is looking to us. Just a piece of meat" It was a reminder to all these horror B trash slasher and Zombie Movies. You could even say it was an homage. It was not a political statement or other bullshit.

Posted by Ekpyroticuniverse

i concur fuck Patrick Klepek for making us all read this. He forced us all to go online, go to giantbomb and made us read every line. oh wait no he did not. Dont like it dont read it, disagree? fine be an adult and explain your perspective instead of ranting like crazy internet dwelling scum bags.

Posted by Dezztroy

@depecheload said:

@Brandino said:

From my experience, there are quite a few women with fake breasts wearing bikinis at tropical locations. I don't see what's sexist about it.

Posted by sephirm87

@CaptainCharisma said:

I don't see why so many people are up in arms about this article. Just don't read it if you don't want to hear what women think about it. Go ahead and complain when there were people that were legitimately offended by the statue. Personally, I just think it's a stupid statue that only weirdos would buy and display. I don't see why people are so offended but I'm not going to verbally lambast Patrick for letting women speak their mind when the issue involves women.

@WolfHazard said:

Whats up with all the Patrick hate?

Unfortunately, I think you know what it means.

Posted by CastleD

Some of these same people who are morally outraged by this statue have also murdered hundreds of thousands of male characters in video games in every conceivable bloody way for years. I'm sure not a peep from them. Actually, they enjoy it immensely.

Why is that?

Posted by Ravenlight

Also, everyone with an opinion about Anna Kipnis is 100% sexist. Monsters.

Posted by TheCheese33

From the reaction in the comments, it's clear that this is an issue still worth talking about.