For my project I aim to test my game development skills by making a game with a genre/ style that I've never attempted making before. I call it a "Exploring" game. I many games that are more "open worlded" some players love to explore, collecting collectables and experience things, I wish to make my game based around that.
In the game you're basically a character walking around collecting, discovering things and land marks in a overworld. It will be a 2d game with a bird view camera and I aim to make it playable on the internet using flash.
My target audience is everyone as the game is rather uncomplicated in that it won't have a main plot or a main baddie to fight. It all about going around exploring.
That is to say, while is not decided yet I might include some wild life or natural hazards to make it a little more intense or exciting, though the penalty would not be big and the main character never dies.
I'll make ther game from the start as the main objective is to make something I have little development experince in. My main focus is on the gameplay to showcase my ideas.
The engine I'll be using is a legal copy of Multimedia Fusion 2, a powerful 2d tool that are used by professional developers.
(Click on pictures to enlarge)
Made som concept art and graphics for the game, though the visuals won't matter too much for my project, so I'm not too concerned about them at the moment.
The game screen size I've choosen to set it to is 640x480 so I'm sure it is playable on a internet browser. Also some animations are made which includes searching, joy and "got item".
For now I want to make a small little area/map to play in and create the main coding and eventually flesh out the details after that. Music and sounds are most likely at this point be copyrighted material, credited and used fairly for student work.
- There are collectables in form of fruit, shells and other things like that to collect to your collection.
- Events, persons and landmarks are added to your Journey/Diary.
- If this game should be a hit, I'll make it so it is easy to add new areas to explore.
- Some events appear at random. So they players are not always quite sure if they have seen it all or are pleasently suprised.
- I'm also thinking about online play, but for the moment that is way of.
- Your house will act as a collection room.
- Some events requires a specific item, for example to make a bunny come out, use carrots.
Walk around with arrow keys (or other setup), and point and click to inetract, (some you would have to be close up to)