116 Comments
  • 116 results
Edited by iragequit

I was pretty sold on this awhile back, but when I saw the 2 videos done in this style I was blown away. I love this alternate reality and it's so awesome in this old educational format.

Posted by BisonHero
@branthog said:

I wonder if anyone under the age of 30 ever had actual film reels like this in school . . . or . . . knows what a film reel was. :P

For what it's worth, I'm 24 and I encountered some film reels like this in school. Both of the elementary schools I attended were built in the 50s, and while the library obviously had added newer VHS and DVD material, the school still had functioning projectors and the teachers occasionally used them (I recall it mostly being used to show us short films for English class, and then we basically wrote a report about the film).

Watching stuff on a projector was rad.

Posted by mr_shoeless

This video is such artistic genius it convinced me to pre-order. That's saying something because the only other game I've ever pre-ordered was Portal 2.

Edited by CastroCasper

Had to come back a day later to watch this, and yup, what a great trailer. The intro and music, the letterboxing, the awesome stock footage type shots. Holy hell, I really didn't enjoy the first two Bioshocks, but just from the idea alone, this game sounds great. Maybe ill just never play it and always wonder what it could be.

Also, who do I gotta seduce to get one of those prop skyhooks?

Edited by Max_Cherry

Cool. Looks like something you would see on the discovery channel or PBS.

Posted by face15

Incredible.

Posted by MrCaptain

atleast the atmosphere will be one of the best. As espected from the makers of bioshock.

Posted by tayls

Hot damn. Wow.

Posted by AGold

Wait where's the dubstep?

Posted by ExplodeMode

Really cool.

@tenniscrazy said:

Can't wait for this game, but what are the tie ins to 1 and 2?

A crazy visionary creates his own society that falls in on itself. You play as an outsider thrust into the setting.

Maybe the names aren't the same, but it seems similar in spirit.

Posted by DSale

The true sequel to Bioshock.

Posted by Morden2261

Fantastic marketing.

Posted by mostman

Mass Effect Codex narrator?

Posted by bananaz

They really should have announced the game with this. Imagine if this was all you had. Brilliant.

Posted by Oedipus

Man. Killing it, you guys.

Edited by x0mb13

Awesome trailer. This has completely rekindled my interest in this game.

Posted by KlUMZeE

@tenniscrazy said:

From what i understand, there may not be a connection and, if there is, it'll be just small references here and there. Ken Levine has said that the Bioshock series is more about the gameplay style and having a unique setting and powerful story than making sure all of the games are connected. In other words, you can think of it like the Final Fantasy series; games that have similar ideas but are set in completely different universes. But I guess we won't really know until it's out.

Posted by CaptRocketblaze

Old Bioshock did nothing for me. New Bioshock may do everything for me.

Posted by Hikaratu

@lumberingjackal: What a bold assessment, a promotional video clearly set on the periphery of the games fiction in an amusing omage to something that isn't directly related to the game won't have the same tone? Nostradamas.

Posted by tenniscrazy

Posted by Kinggi

Ken Levine and crew starting to work their magic.

Posted by Fram

THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE.

Gets me more hyped than a hundred CG trailers ever could.

Posted by triviaman09

This is a breath of fresh goddamn air after the Dead Space 3 and Aliens: Colonial Marines trailers.

Posted by nells81

Looking forward to this all the more... come on Robert G. Ingersoll audio log!!!

Posted by HerbieBug

On media blackout for this game. Not watching.

Posted by Jechtshot78

This is amazing, is it going to be a series?

Posted by Zrais

Awesome

Posted by Phatmac

As if I couldn't get any more excited for this game.

Posted by CodeFire

MAN, I hope they do more of this. Spot on!

Posted by coakroach

Well this has me hyped again

Posted by SatelliteOfLove

Dear SE: This is how you do advertising. Take notes.

Posted by jerseyscum

The 1980's aspect is showing up more and more. Interesting.

Whenever my interest for this game starts to cool, Irrational releases something to keep it up.

Posted by GozerTC

Best Promo Ever! :)

Posted by blacklab

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you tease a fucking game.

Posted by munnyman5

The second this video kicked off, I felt like I was sitting in a grade 8 science class.

Posted by solidlife

I hope there is a full doc.

Posted by briansanderson

this was badass I have to say. hopefully more videos like this appear.

Posted by MrMazz

I want more of this

Posted by DEFE

Turning the video quality to HD to make sure their fake low quality looks right.

Posted by Dagbiker

Yah, this is all great, but what do the Numbers mean?

Posted by chilipeppersman

awesome shit dude, but im still gonna wait for the review.....

Posted by MrHammeh

Love the style of this video, absolutely love it!

Posted by cannedstingray

The most recent idle thumbs podcast had Shawn Elliott, from Irrational. He was saying that he strongly recommends that anyone who has already made up their mind to buy Infinite, to go media black. Just ignore everything that the marketing team puts out.

Infinite has been a day one purchase for me since pretty early on, so I've been trying to ignore most of what they show. I did watch the "First 5 minutes" trailer from the other week. I haven't watched this one yet.

I'm hoping that the less I know going in, the more I'll get out of the game when I play it.

Posted by Pixeldemon

@BBQBram said:

People in general really don't recognize or care about that the fact that Irrational are the only one building worlds that are the manifestation of ideologies, and thus filled to the brim with views on philosophy, sociology, ethics, aesthetics and with an undeniable connection to our reality, especially through appropriate use of art history and architecture.

Also, seeing as how the twist in the original was both a critique of a trend and a way to dodge said trend, I have such high expectations for now that they are doing a voiced character, because you just know they're going to take that concept and divide it by zero, if you know what I mean.

I don't care if this reads as pretentious to anyone. Literally NO ONE else is doing this, making worlds so steeped in culture.

Well said. While most other studios are stuck in the rut of "good vs evil" or "you are the chosen one" themes, Irrational's games manage to be saturated with philosophy and complex characters while still being imaginative, fun and accessible.

Also, as someone who strongly dislikes the silent-protagonist-even-though-people-are-talking-to-you-the-entire-time design, I am looking forward to the narrative possibilities of a voiced character.

Posted by mellotronrules

kinda neat. wish more game trailers went the extra mile to be stylistically relevant.

Posted by CastroCasper

The more I read into this game and that really good (in my opinion) article from Wired about the soundtrack in the game has really got me pumped for this. I mean I was ready to play it last E3, but now. Oh god, maybe I have built this up too much!

Posted by golguin

I think I saw this video in elementary school.

Posted by ReyGitano

I got shivers from that. Well done.

Posted by BBQBram

@Pixeldemon said:

Bioshock Infinite is shaping up to be the redemption and salvation of all video games. It is starting to make the rest of the industry look like a tired joke.

/hyperbole engine spinning down

But seriously guys...

Oh I agree. People in general really don't recognize or care about that the fact that Irrational are the only one building worlds that are the manifestation of ideologies, and thus filled to the brim with views on philosophy, sociology, ethics, aesthetics and with an undeniable connection to our reality, especially through appropriate use of art history and architecture.

Also, seeing as how the twist in the original was both a critique of a trend and a way to dodge said trend, I have such high expectations for now that they are doing a voiced character, because you just know they're going to take that concept and divide it by zero, if you know what I mean.

I don't care if this reads as pretentious to anyone. Literally NO ONE else is doing this, making worlds so steeped in culture.

• 116 results