307 Comments
Posted by Lifendz

Why not show us what the co-op looks like? Surprised they didn't. 

Posted by Lifendz
@Pixeldemon said:

@Lifendz said:

First enemy Brad encounters and he pulls a Brad. Glad Jeff is with Brad on this QL. Normally Brad just ignores whatever requests the other person makes (e.g. let's see that, go down there) but with Jeff I think Brad will listen.

Brad and Jeff Quick Looks are kind of endearing. It's like Brad is a hyperactive kid who wants to run around and play with everything he sees to no real purpose, and Jeff is the parent trying to "guide" his kid into doing something constructive, with mixed success.

That said, I prefer QLs that show a coherent slice of the game, while being informative and entertaining.

Exactly. Brad plays a QL without any regard for the fact that most of us haven't played the game yet. So he'll craft something and then not use it while most of the audience is wanting to see what that weapon looks like. That's where I'm glad Jeff comes in and asks to see the weapon (sometimes more than once). If Brad were with anyone else he'd just ignore them and keep doing whatever he planned on doing. 
Posted by leem101

replying to brads comment about uncharted 3 just being another uncharted, resting on laurels, etc. I thought it was a massive leap forward from the 2nd game, and a much larger leap than 1 to 2

Posted by golguin

I know Brad was using super powerful weapons, but the combat did not look look like the combat in Dead Space 2. The ammo management forced you so use use your full arsenal as you waited to collected the ammo you wanted for your 4 main weapons. The enemies were also a big deal as I didn't want to waste my good ammo on scrub enemies so I had to use other weapons to conserve that ammo. Different types of enemies also called for me to use specific weapons. The Ripper was a huge ammo saver for me.

Can someone who's playing the game respond to my concerns? Was it simply a matter of Brad having super weapons or is the combat easier?

Posted by mellotronrules

well- probably going to let this lie for awhile. i'd be more compelled to buy if it was on steam, but since it ain't, and since it seems to being following the trend of origin-exclusives-that-aren't-as-quality-as-their-predecessor (me3, da2, etc.)...probably best to wait for a deep discount.

Posted by stryker1121

@Vuud said:

Is it just me? But with these newer games I find myself spending more time in customization and crafting menus than playing through the actual game.

Oh it's not just you. Loads of games are doing RPG-lite mechanics. Was playing Far Cry 3 last night and was messing about in menus crafting syringes and arrows half the time.

Edited by Draxyle

Well it doesn't sound like a total butchering like a lot of recent EA products, but it's definitely the parts that have been "EA-ified" that sound like the weakest; namely all the DLC nonsense.

I've had the first Dead Space on steam for ages but I've only played a half hour of it. I'll have to go back to it someday, but it sounds like I'm perfectly fine with only playing that one.

Posted by kerse

@stryker1121 said:

@Vuud said:

Is it just me? But with these newer games I find myself spending more time in customization and crafting menus than playing through the actual game.

Oh it's not just you. Loads of games are doing RPG-lite mechanics. Was playing Far Cry 3 last night and was messing about in menus crafting syringes and arrows half the time.

I actually like that stuff.

Posted by golguin

@Sarx said:

In Dead Space the weapon balancing felt very off to me. The Plasma Cutter was the best weapon by miles and ammo spawned mostly only for weapons you actually had on you so you had ammo in droves. The same was true in Dead Space 2 admittedly where the Pulse Rifle became the bane of everything. So I am not really surprised that in DS3 again you have your get to weapon and mostly won't bother to craft outlandish stuff.

The Pulse Rifle was the bane of everything? I upgraded all my weapons to max and thought that was one of the worst weapons in the game with the flame thrower.

The weapon conversation was had many times after the release of DS2 and it was decided that people had pretty varied weapon loadouts.

Posted by Blizniak

If it's anything like 2 then I sure as hell don't want that.

Posted by sandweed

Any new game should always be exactly like the previous game.

Posted by Ponyexpress

Is the whole damn QL just Brad scrolling through different menus? Jesus fuck.

Posted by SilverTorch1

I'm never going to pay for a retail game that has microtransactions. It is disgusting and downright greedy.

Posted by kerse

@golguin said:

@Sarx said:

In Dead Space the weapon balancing felt very off to me. The Plasma Cutter was the best weapon by miles and ammo spawned mostly only for weapons you actually had on you so you had ammo in droves. The same was true in Dead Space 2 admittedly where the Pulse Rifle became the bane of everything. So I am not really surprised that in DS3 again you have your get to weapon and mostly won't bother to craft outlandish stuff.

The Pulse Rifle was the bane of everything? I upgraded all my weapons to max and thought that was one of the worst weapons in the game with the flame thrower.

The weapon conversation was had many times after the release of DS2 and it was decided that people had pretty varied weapon loadouts.

Yeah I thought the pulse rifle was garbage in DS2, and the Force gun was like god tier. Like you said DS2 was actually great because everyone had a different setup and everything was viable if it clicked with your playstyle.

Posted by OllyOxenFree

Weird how this is kind of like what happened with the Mass Effect series.

1: Was a great start.

2: Refined but made some changes that the fans did not particularly liked.

3: Poor choices with some story elements -- notably the ending. Micro-transactions.

Posted by siaynoq

I realize lately with new games that I care too much about reviews and what everyone else is saying about them. I picked up the habit a lot when shopping for computer hardware on Newegg, but I think reviews are far less objective with video games. I just keep reading all this negative stuff before I've even tried the game. So I'm off to go play now. Good for me, right?

Posted by kerse

Wait, since when was Dead Space a game you lost the ammo in a clip when you reload? I don't remember that at all.

Posted by golguin

@kerse said:

@golguin said:

@Sarx said:

Yeah I thought the pulse rifle was garbage in DS2, and the Force gun was like god tier. Like you said DS2 was actually great because everyone had a different setup and everything was viable if it clicked with your playstyle.

I was all about my Contact Beam Line Gun combo attack during the final missions when there were dudes everywhere. Simply use the alt fire on the Contact Beam to freeze everything and then throw Line Gun alt mines at your leisure and wait for everything to explode.

Posted by mnzy

@bonzaiimonkey said:

Brad uses scavenger bot at 29:41

Scavenger bot has 10 minute timer

Brad quits to menu at 39:40

o.O

Haha, that's great.

Posted by kerse

@golguin said:

@kerse said:

@golguin said:

@Sarx said:

I was all about my Contact Beam Line Gun combo attack during the final missions when there were dudes everywhere. Simply use the alt fire on the Contact Beam to freeze everything and then throw Line Gun alt mines at your leisure and wait for everything to explode.

I always wanted to go back and give the Line Gun another shot because of the things I heard about it, maybe I'll play through 1 and 2 again.

Posted by bledsoe9mm

i don't know about EA being evil , but i know i don't trust them . always wait for reviews on EA games to see how badly they screwed up a $60 title with micro transactions

Posted by cb1115

Never played any of the Dead Space games, but hearing Brad talk about how disappointed he is with this game just bums me out.

Posted by videogamesarenotart

@Ponyexpress:

thats generally how brad conducts quicklooks, he's got no sense of showmanship

Posted by Fuzzy_Dunlop

Will wait until I beat this part of the game Brad's at before I watch it. Does look interesting though. I'm more curious to see the review though. It's getting some mixed reviews and I wonder how Brad feels about it.

Posted by DarkFury

Thanks to Jeff on this QL for being a good anchor for Brad's judgement and mental blind spots. Lost count of the number of times Brad would say something negative, then Jeff would reel him in and Brad would respond with, "Uh, yeah, I guess."

Posted by Mercanis

@DarkFury said:

Thanks to Jeff on this QL for being a good anchor for Brad's judgement and mental blind spots. Lost count of the number of times Brad would say something negative, then Jeff would reel him in and Brad would respond with, "Uh, yeah, I guess."

That's why Giant Bomb tries to quick look in pairs, and that's also what makes the Giant Bomb crew so great: they complement each other well.

Posted by IcarusFoundYou

This is what DLC of the future looks like. Every game will come with timers and in-game stores to buy in game currency.

Posted by Gerhabio

Prediction: Brad gives this 5 stars to many a users' chagrin.

Posted by SuperWristBands

Brad firing his gun and saying "It's a rocket launcher" then firing it again and saying "it's a shotgun" was great. Something about the way he said it and the absurdity of taping a shotgun onto a rocket launcher made me laugh out loud.

Posted by Bunny_Fire

Isaac Clarke - gold medallist titan university stomping league

Posted by SuperWristBands

I'm confused about the ammo. Brad said he loses the ammo in the clip when he reloads. Is that true? That seems really shitty. Does that mean you would have to use the ammo in both the primary and secondary (in Brad's case, rockets and shotgun shells) before reloading to get the maximum out of your resources?

Posted by christopherson329

is any body else getting an Aliens vibe from this game

Posted by CaptainJudaism

Welp... nice to know I'm simply going to just watch the various ways Isaac and Meathead McBland can get dismembered on Youtube rather than taint my view I have on Dead Space as I am an avid fan of both DS 1 and DS 2. DS 3 seems to do everything wrong from what every review, video, and hear say I can gather. Tis a sad sight to see but I guess I can't say I'm surprised.

Posted by tourgen

I bet the game is so easy that crafting or custom weapons have no point what so ever. gameplay balance doesn't encourage customization to allow player success - instead gameplay balance encourages sticking to the first thing that works. because its so easy it all works.

Posted by derskusmacher

I only have one thing to say about this game: what I could hear of the soundtrack sounded exactly like Alien/Aliens at times

Posted by ZeroCrescent

Dead Space 3: Door opening action!

Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror

@cb1115: Get a copy of the first one if you can. It's really good, apart from the turret sequences.

Posted by beatnik11

I never cared much for the Dead Space, the previous two look very well made but since I dont care much for survival horror (even when its very predictable) so I passed them up. Now it seems like they want to appeal a different audience by dropping the horror and making it just another 3rd person shooter, but I am still not really interested. The game looks pretty and the shooting seems functional but it just seems bland in most areas

Posted by ChrisTaran

@SilverTorch1 said:

I'm never going to pay for a retail game that has microtransactions. It is disgusting and downright greedy.

Ditto.

Posted by Sonny009

ok so..... whens the last time EA made a bigge triple A tittle that was praised for even having a halfway decent story?

Posted by LikeaSsur

The crafting system seems awesome for a game that isn't Dead Space.

Posted by 00

I think Brad is completely misremembering the original Dead Space, and the changes that they made with Dead Space 2.

The original Dead Space was not a horror game at all—I seem to remember going through that from start to finish on the hardest difficulty available from the beginning, using the starter weapon almost exclusively, and never having any ammo concerns.

That game was packed full of enemies, and didn’t have many tense moments at all. Dead Space 2 was very similar to this Quick Look of Dead Space 3, though it didn’t have that “free-to-play” type content in it.

But I still picked up both Dead Space games on Steam again recently when they went on sale, even though I didn’t think they were all that great, because they were cheap, and I did love exploring the environments.

P.S. the worst trend in games in recent years, aside from all this microtransaction crap filtering over from free-to-play, is having difficulty settings locked out from the start. I’ve mentioned it in the past, but I am far more likely to put the time into going through a game on its hardest difficulty the first time through. If I go back to a game a second time, it’s not because I am looking for a challenge, it’s because there was something I loved about the world/environments or story that I want to experience again, and I will most likely go back on the easiest difficulty the second time, so I am not being bothered with combat.

@damnable_fiend said:

Brad loved the first two Dead Space games. and Skyrim. and LA Noire, and Starcraft II... and like, tons of other games...

Yeah, I’m really starting to think that if Brad loves a game, it’s not going to be for me. Especially if it’s a game in a series that he doesn’t really have any past experience with, or a sequel in a series that he does, as it seems he values his time investment in the series more than the quality of the game.

E.g. Mass Effect 3, recommending that people “invested” in the Dead Space franchise pick this up, even though he doesn’t seem to think it is a particularly good game.

Posted by LikeaSsur

@00: To call Dead Space "not a horror game" because you went through the hardest difficulty does not invalidate what the game actually is, nor does the number of enemies make or break defining it as a horror.

Posted by Zurv

PC version

Posted by airpi

Are the enemy animations as weird looking/buggy as they are around 34 minutes in for the entire game or was that just some weird fluke? The first one he shoots immediately disappears when it dies, and then second one goes from human corpse on the ground into standing necromorph without any transition when he shoots it. What the eff?

Posted by jaharbour

@00 said:

The original Dead Space was not a horror game at all

You cray. I peed at least twice.

Posted by meaninoflife42

It's not the Dead Space we want, but the Dead Space we need.

Edited by 00

@LikeaSsur said:

@00: To call Dead Space "not a horror game" because you went through the hardest difficulty does not invalidate what the game actually is, nor does the number of enemies make or break defining it as a horror.

Dead Space was an action game where most of the enemies jumped out of grates on the wall—often ones directly behind you—and just ran towards you in a straight line.

There was no tension, subtlety, or restraint.

While the story says you were an “engineer” you were basically a fully-armed space marine with plenty of firepower to deal with anything the game threw at you—which mostly went down in a couple of shots.

Posted by dezvous

@christopherson329: The music when you're out spacewalking is verrry Alien and it is freaking awesome.

I wish some quick looks were a little more light hearted though. It's just no fun to hear someone play a game for 40 minutes and hardly even sound like they're enjoying themselves.

Edited by LikeaSsur
@00: Either you and I did not play the same Dead Space, or you're just exaggerating to prove a point. Either way, it's still a horror game. Every genre-defining tool out there classifies it as such, no matter how much you disagree.