307 Comments
Posted by vickydog

@beachthunder: This is probably too late but about an hour and a half.

Posted by jasondesante

hey giant bomb i havent watched one of your videos in months....now I see that I have to be a subscriber to click the youtube button in your video settings.

Pay a yearly / monthly fee to watch your youtube videos? Or I could just go on youtube and never come back to this site again.

Good job idiots! You will get more traffic to this site by alienating your audience!

Posted by YukoAsho

@bunji: Huh? The clips are the only things, there is no pieces. Part of why the you can stack up a ton of ammo. Each weapon consumes a certain number of clips. For example, you'll lose two clips with each load of the Plasma Cutter. Thus, if you have three stacks of 25 clips apiece, it means very little to lose two.

Anyway, I've been replaying the other two now that I'm done with 3. I just finished one and... Yeah, not that scary. If you dedicate yourself to maxing out the Plasma Cutter early on, you're not gonna have a lot of difficulty in the first game and have enough nodes to fully upgrade the pulse rifles, which you really only need at the end missions. The jump scares just don't do it. Playing through 2 right now, I don't feel fear either.

Posted by Kezmer

I am enjoying it, not as good as the last 2 but it's still fun

Edited by Velamo05

Throughout this video Brad used 8 words from my AP English vocab list from school... Way to have a refined vocabulary, Shoemaker

Edited by ttocs

@galloughs: That's your opinion. The first game was a classic, even by review scores, and the second was pretty darn good as well. I like the third, but I understand how some people have issues with it.

Posted by ptys

It sucks this game wasn't saved till the next gen. I may have been interested, as I've only played DS2 once with plenty of play still to be had!

Posted by probablytuna

Man, been playing the first Dead Space on PC and it controls like ass. Even with the Vsync turned off the mouse control is still so damn floaty.

Edited by Kosayn

It is the Dead Space I want for $19.99, with no online pass, sometime in June.

Posted by capthavic

Obligatory "it's the Dead Space gamers deserve, but not the one we need right now" in response to the video header XD

But seriously, it's a game that takes as many steps forward as it does back, ultimately delivering an experience overall I felt on par with previous games but doesn't really surpass them either. It is certainly worth at least a rental by any Dead Space fans.

Note: Just a little correction, you can wear any suit down on the planet once you reach a certain point and get the arctic suits. My friend and I switched suits often and never ran into the freezing problem after that point.

Posted by Inquisitor

If Dead Space 3 got 3 stars i wonder what Aliens: CM will get...

Posted by mewarmo990

The new font makes it look like "Dead Space 8" in the wiki blurb sidebar.

Posted by Sugar

I hate the new site design! I have to scroll horizontally on my 800 x 600 monitor!

Just kidding!

Site looks awesome guys!

Posted by Phatmac

Loving the new video player! :)

Edited by TheManWithNoPlan

After watching this quick look, my heart was filled with Dead Space.

Edited by defcomm

Third time is the charm, maybe?

Posted by arimajinn

dead space 3... road to shitville

Edited by arimajinn

Dead Space 3 is following Resident Evil to shitville...

Posted by defcomm

This is a good game. It's worth checking out, duders.

Posted by tanookigt

@okand said:

@tanookigt: Guess I should have just called it an extreme temperature instead of cold. Insulation is still insulation and an airtight suit ought be able to keep one specific temperature inside of it regardless if it's extremely warm or extremely cold outside then. With the way the temperature of objects (objects, not the space itself) swing in space depending on if you're exposed to sunlight or not you'd probably go way below the temperatures of the ice planet in the game sometime. You even see people walk around down there with helmets off so it can't be that bad.

Edit: Maybe this isn't about temperature even. Just something that could handle moisture and ice building up on the outside of the suit.

A suit designed for space walking would have to radiate heat as much as possible, to keep the wearer from being cooked alive inside. It'd probably even be outfitted with a cooling system. This is because there's no effective way for the suit to rid itself of heat in a vacuum. The body heat emitted from the person inside would just keep building up until they died.

On the ice planet, the suit would need to be the opposite. It'd need insulation to keep as much heat as possible.

Edited by okand

@tanookigt: Guess I should have just called it an extreme temperature instead of cold. Insulation is still insulation and an airtight suit ought be able to keep one specific temperature inside of it regardless if it's extremely warm or extremely cold outside then. With the way the temperature of objects (objects, not the space itself) swing in space depending on if you're exposed to sunlight or not you'd probably go way below the temperatures of the ice planet in the game sometime. You even see people walk around down there with helmets off so it can't be that bad.

Edit: Maybe this isn't about temperature even. Just something that could handle moisture and ice building up on the outside of the suit.
Posted by tanookigt

@okand said:

Some special ice planet cold resistant suits but they're all space cold resistant suits... What?

Protip: It's not cold in outer space. You've been conditioned to think it is by science fiction television shows and movies and comic books and even video games. However, there is no temperature in a vacuum. There's no heat exchange, so a hot object will stay hot for a very long time. Isaac, floating out in space, would get hotter and hotter until he cooked inside his suit, because his body heat would have nowhere to go.

Posted by Zacagawea

I do really want to play this game as I loved the other 2 (the first is probably one of my favorite games ever) but, man, just not right now and definitely not for 60 bucks. They mucked it up too much.

Posted by myghart

A Dead Space Movie should have Wallace Langham star as Isaac Clarke.

That is all.

Posted by Snakepond

I give up with fans and the gaming press. Here you have a good game and a good series getting ripped apart. Why?

Yes, EA wants to make money who doesn't. You can ignore the DLC and micro transaction. Maybe the game is not as scary as before, but tell me where can I find a sci-fi survival horror game. Even if it is not perfect at least it's there and if you don't like it don't buy.

Posted by AxleBro

So big business ruined a game series i didn't care about already? SOUNDS LIKE VIDEO GAMES!

Posted by karmaghost

This Quick Look was over halfway finished (@ 26:17) before any real enemies appeared on the screen. I'm not sure whether that says more about the game or the way that Brad structured this Quick Look.

Posted by JillSammich

I was on the edge about this game, but the microtransaction stuff put me over to the not buying ever category.

That stuff is disgusting.

Posted by Wyld

I can feel it coming in the air tonight...

Edited by namesonkel

What's with the Mass Effect-ish armor or shoulder pad?

oh. EA.

Posted by peritus

@okand said:

Some special ice planet cold resistant suits but they're all space cold resistant suits... What?

Its a dry cold.

Posted by bunji

A note about ammo clips being entirely spent when reloading.

That it not the case for the PC version. You can shoot from a full clip just one, reload and only have lost 1 piece of ammo.

Posted by Legion_

Space

10.000.000.000 BC - 2013

Will be missed by all it's inhabitants

R.I.P

Edited by HerbieBug

Game developers please stop making menus that slowly move back and forth. It makes me terribly motion sick. :(

edit---- wait wait wait hold on. Am I to understand that any suit can be used in space but only certain "cold resistant" suits can be used on the ice planet? That doesn't make any sense.

edit 2----- ugh... God damnit EA you are a publisher not a development company. Stop ruining good series with your focus testing and your micromanagement of mediocrity.

edit 3-----

In my opinion:

Dead Space 1 = action horror game

Dead Space 2 = pure action game that takes some small inspiration from horror genre.

Posted by Jackel2072

Dead Space - Alien Dead Space 2 - Aliens Dead Space 3 - Alien 3 Ok got it.

Posted by believer258

@Branthog said:

@IronHam said:

@Branthog: The PC port is actually really good, it's just not at the level of other superports such as Sleeping Dogs. PC Dead Space 3 actually has more options than the previous DS games, including SSAO and different anti-aliasing modes. The v-sync actually works as well. However it has the same textures as PS3/360 versions.

Exactly. It has the same textures as the PS3/360 versions. That is fucking lazy, because they obviously have high resolution textures as original assets. I'm extremely put off when someone tells me that the textures for my rig with three 4GB 670s and a 2560x1600 native resolution have to be the same as my eight year old console that will run at 1080 (or probably upscaled 720).

The only thing that could be more of a put off would be "oh, and you can't use WASD+M".

I hate to burst your bubble, but the PC versions of Dead Space 1 and 2 have borked mouse control, to the point where it's a much better idea to use a controller. It feels loose, like you stop aiming a half a second after you stop moving the mouse, and whenever you hold the aim button, it slows way down like it would if you were playing on an analog stick. Note that this is coming from someone who does not mind 720p textures on a 1080p monitor, and doesn't mind a lack of graphics options, but the mouse and keyboard controls on the PC versions of the first two games are better than Dark Souls and nothing else.

That said, I'd still play this on PC. Aside from control issues (easily solved with a controller for me) and VSYNC issues (also easily solved), the first two games look and run great on the PC, and this one is probably no different. My issues with this game really lie with the whole notion of microtransactions in a single player game. Even beyond that, something about this game just plain reeks of corporate meddling, and I didn't get that feeling from the first two games.

Posted by sMOoie1

dead space 3 and dino crisis 3 has space problems,,or may i say,,Believe in the space;)

Posted by CannonGoose

Brad mentions how he loves the combat for it's strategic dismemberment, yet he spends the entire quick look using a shotgun/rocket launcher combo and shooting enemies in the chest.

Posted by Cautionman

Man, I've been playing this on PC, and some of the textures are just horrible; I don't remember DS2 looking this bad, but it's really distracting.

Brad's right for sure, the early game seems to be the best as far as pacing and tension go. I'm about 8 hours, and it really starts to drag once you get to the planet. Such a shame.

Posted by Winternet

Wow, that scope was indeed terrible.

Posted by amir90

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Branthog: That's a good point. One can easily pass on buying any of that shit but it's not like you can ignore that fucking DLC button which can break immersion. It's fucking disgusting.

@amir90: You're right.

That's weird, wouldn't one expect such a feature (ammo) to be in the first game?

I personally prefer games that do this, then not. Stops me from reloading every 5 seconds.

Posted by Colourful_Hippie

@Branthog: That's a good point. One can easily pass on buying any of that shit but it's not like you can ignore that fucking DLC button which can break immersion. It's fucking disgusting.

@amir90: You're right.

Edited by amir90

A lot of crafting, might be fun:P

The ammo thing, was it like that on the 1st and 2nd game? I cannot remember if it was or not, I am inclined to say it wasn't.

Edit: I felt the quick look didn't show as much I wish they did, I am totally up for more dead space, but a bit too much crafting maybe? idk.

Posted by okand

Posted by Colourful_Hippie
@Branthog

The brazen shit-service to the PC port has taken this from a "pre-order" title for me to a "buy it when it's $10 on Steam or $20 on console" title. I probably was going to buy it and play it on console, because that's where I have the first two games in the series -- but even if I did that and the PC version therefore didn't impact me, I wouldn't buy it at launch or for anywhere near full price out of principal.

I got the pc version for $40 but I already regret my purchase.
Posted by galoot

I was a big fan of the first two but this looks like it could be another EA theme park (Mass Effect 3). I'll have to vent. Why does EA insist on making a game more broadly appealing? Broadly appealing does not mean better, they just want to satisfy the moronic masses in the hope it makes more money! Out of spite, I hope this one is not as successful as the previous. I'd love to know what EA focus groups talk about, I bet none of them even play games.

Posted by Humanity

@sear said:

First Dead Space was a decent game, second one was basically crap.

Haha yah crap hah yah..

Posted by Korolev

You know this game has become a betrayal of what the series once stood for, if I'm interested in it somewhat and my brother is not.

Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials

The dialog and characters were already shit in the second game. I think he just glazed over it because he liked everything else.