Cook Serve Delicious was never Greenlit

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By TheMasterDS

Today is a day of the Steam Summer Sale. And since I was thinking about this game after seeing the great story about how Ryan Davis impacted the guy behind this game I said "I would like to buy Cook Serve Delicious since it's probably really cheap because Steam Sale." Turns out it's not on fucking Steam. The fuck Valve? Goddamn Greenlight strikes again! They should really fucking retire that shit because all its doing is keeping great games off Steam far as I can tell. Divekick and CSD are both solid examples of that. Is there any example of game that's benefited from Greenlight that couldn't have gotten onto Steam otherwise? Seemed to me that before Greenlight all games got onto Steam.

We should greenlight Cook Serve Delicious. And also Divekick obviously.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Greenlight is pretty shitty if you actually think about it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Well, I've voted for both. They definitely shouldn't retire it, they should try to improve the process though.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Fuck Greenlight.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheMasterDS
bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By bibamatt

Considering that this game includes "The Ryan Davis" burger, it'd be nice to see more people play it!

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Freshbandito

I'd argue that games like papers please, cart life, stardew valley, kentucky route zero, miasmata and sang froid would not have gotten through the steam application process without the greenlight program.

The absolutely fantastic Rogue Legacy I first found out about through my greenlight voting queue. Whether it's flawed or not in it's current iteration it is a system that is working.

Just because a game you are very interested in doesn't capture the minds of everyone else and goes un-greenlit doesn't mean the entire system needs binning.

and don't forget you can purchase cook, serve, delicious! on the dev's blog at http://www.vertigogaming.net/blog/?portfolio=cook-serve-delicious

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By FlipperDesert

Bullshit it's not, I'd buy that. Gonna vote for it right now.

Fuck, I can't even find the Greenlight page right now because of the Steam Sale.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

It's becoming more and more apparent that Greenlight has been one of Valve's biggest mistakes from a developer's point of view. I really love CSD though so I might be biased here.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It should definately be greenlit, but I don't think it would play well on a keyboard and mouse.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

With a service like Greenlight, it's inevitable that not every game that seemingly should be greenlit will be. What might appeal to you or to a specific audience might not be enough for the larger general audience. Divekick caters to the hardcore fighting game crowd. What percentage of that group would choose PC over the console version?

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Dragon's Lair gets greenlit over incredible Indie titles, then you have to question the service.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rebgav

@evo said:

It should definately be greenlit, but I don't think it would play well on a keyboard and mouse.

It plays well with a keyboard and it should be greenlighted. It's pretty obvious why it hasn't made the cut though, "abstract speed typing" is not exactly a booming genre.

You can buy the PC version from the dev or from Amazon though so whatevs.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Ben_H

@rebgav said:

@evo said:

It plays well with a keyboard and it should be greenlighted. It's pretty obvious why it hasn't made the cut though, "abstract speed typing" is not exactly a booming genre.

You can buy the PC version from the dev or from Amazon though so whatevs.

You can even buy it via the Humble Bundle people (you go through the dev's site) and attach it to your Humble Bundle account. That's what I did.

This game is amazing with a keyboard. A bit trickier than the iPad version but still a ton of fun.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By toowalrus

Haven't some great smaller games gotten onto Steam through Greenlight that wouldn't have otherwise? I'm sure the process could use some improvement, but I think the core concept is solid.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God, remember when everyone was excited about Greenlight? It's unfortunate that anything that's different is considered "not a game" by the idiots who vote for stuff.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bought CSD shortly after Giant Bomb did the quick look of it. Have there been any updates to it since then?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided to just buy it off Humble Games. You were too slow Steam/Greenlight! Next time put games up onto your store when they come out!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ajamafalous

@freshbandito said:

I'd argue that games like papers please, cart life, stardew valley, kentucky route zero, miasmata and sang froid would not have gotten through the steam application process without the greenlight program.

The absolutely fantastic Rogue Legacy I first found out about through my greenlight voting queue. Whether it's flawed or not in it's current iteration it is a system that is working.

Just because a game you are very interested in doesn't capture the minds of everyone else and goes un-greenlit doesn't mean the entire system needs binning.

and don't forget you can purchase cook, serve, delicious! on the dev's blog at http://www.vertigogaming.net/blog/?portfolio=cook-serve-delicious

@hailinel said:

With a service like Greenlight, it's inevitable that not every game that seemingly should be greenlit will be. What might appeal to you or to a specific audience might not be enough for the larger general audience. Divekick caters to the hardcore fighting game crowd. What percentage of that group would choose PC over the console version?

The two posts of reason in this thread. I bought it off the dev's site right after the QL because he promised Steam keys if it gets Greenlit, so do that if you really want the game.

As far as Greenlight itself is concerned: again, just because you really like a specific game that doesn't immediately get Greenlit doesn't mean that the system has failed.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The supposed purpose of Greenlight is to catch games that would slip through the cracks otherwise. Games are slipping through the cracks. In fact more games are slipping through the cracks than ever before because they don't meet the close minded definition of a game that the people who vote on Greenlight have in their heads. The system simply does not work as intended.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do some games just get down-voted to hell or something? I could see that having happened to Divekick (thanks to the idiots who don't fucking get it) and I suppose the same could have happened to CSD.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Greenlight does suck. Yes the idea has merit but the implementation is terrible. It is near impossible to keep up with and trying to figure out what is where doesn't work. One easy thing to do to clean it up a bit is to remove all the FTP MMOs to a section by themselves.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

Victory!

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Woo!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By musubi

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

They greenlit 100 games today and I think today is the one year anniversary for Greenlight, I wonder if they had some quota they wanted to hit for their first year, many of the games they put through look pretty sketchy, they even greenlit Shadow of the Eternals which is dead in the water at this point.

Cool for this game though.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HerbieBug

\o\ \o/ /o/

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points