#1 Edited by Aegon (5661 posts) -

I liked Crash when I was a kid, but was never as attracted to that franchise as to Jak and Ratchet, but still, if Mario can be fun in the modern day, why not Crash if the right resources and ideas are put forth?

So,

The official Crash Bandicoot website, owned and operated by Activision, has been taken down. The latest archived version of the site is from this past summer, when rumors of a Sony acquisition of the franchise started popping up.

Additionally, the Crash Bandicoot brand has been completely removed from Activision's main website, and any search through their homepage no longer yields any results. Previously, links to their licensed Crash games were available. Also, their support pages no longer offer support for Crash: Mind Over Mutant (the last game released), or their iOS kart racers.

Reddit link

#2 Posted by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

Sony should bring back Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin to reboot crash.

#3 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11138 posts) -

I hope this is true, because whatever Sony does with Crash can't help but be better than what Activision has been doing with Crash (nothing?).

#4 Posted by TheHT (11389 posts) -

PlayStation All-Stars 2: Now With Crash Bandicoot

#5 Posted by Nightriff (5101 posts) -

Never played any Crash game, should I be excited for this or play the original and then decide?

#6 Posted by Korwin (2871 posts) -

Man... a new crash game that could go toe to toe with Mario 3D World would be great.

#7 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11806 posts) -

I'm going to start a hot new rumor that Naughty Dog is going to reboot Crash.

#8 Edited by Manhattan_Project (2159 posts) -

Never played any Crash game, should I be excited for this or play the original and then decide?

DONT PLAY THE ORIGINAL. Its terrible. Play the second and third ones. If you like those the fourth one on the PS2 is pretty good but the quality falls off a cliff after that one.

I will also take this opportunity to once again say that Crash Team Racing on the PS is better than any Mario Kart.

#9 Posted by Wikitoups (835 posts) -

@nightriff said:

DONT PLAY THE ORIGINAL. Its terrible. Play the second and third ones. If you like those the fourth one on the PS2 is pretty good but the quality falls off a cliff after that one.

I will also take this opportunity to once again say that Crash Team Racing on the PS is better than any Mario Kart.

As someone who has played the first three crash games and crash team racing, this man speaks the Truth!

#10 Edited by ProfessorEss (7402 posts) -

Sony getting the Crash franchise back doesn't interest me.

Sony getting the Crash franchise back and putting Naughty Dog on it interests me greatly.

@manhattan_project I thought 1 was better than 3 personally with 2 being the best.

#11 Posted by Aegon (5661 posts) -

@manhattan_project said:

@nightriff said:

As someone who has played the first three crash games and crash team racing, this man speaks the Truth!

I think Crash Warped was the one I liked best.

#12 Posted by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -

The first one is terrible!? Something must be wrong with me then. The original Crash Bandicoot is a game I still go back and occasionally play to this day. I still enjoy it after all these years. Crash Team Racing is also excellent.

#13 Posted by Soulreaverm (62 posts) -

I love CTR so much. So, so much.

#14 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1432 posts) -

Man, a new Crash Bash, Crash Team Racing, and a new Crash game proper on ps4 would be amazing. Also do people not like Crash Bash....i never seen it mentioned even though it has great party minigames.

#15 Edited by Manhattan_Project (2159 posts) -

@professoress: @mightyduck: I gotta be honest, I last played it like 7 years ago and I remember thinking Crash felt sluggish compared to future games but I just youtubed some walkthroughs and I'm thinking I might have to give it another try...

#16 Posted by csl316 (8776 posts) -

Crash 2 is one of my favorite platformers, and CTR is the best kart racer I've ever played.

So give Crash to Double Helix, bring it back to the PS1 art style, and then take my money.

#17 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2418 posts) -

God I loved Crash. An HD tribute game thing would be dope.

#18 Posted by ProfessorEss (7402 posts) -

@professoress: @mightyduck: I gotta be honest, I last played it like 7 years ago and I remember thinking Crash felt sluggish compared to future games but I just youtubed some walkthroughs and I'm thinking I might have to give it another try...

It's been longer than that for me and I wouldn't be surprised to find that time hasn't been kind to the original. I just found Crash 3 a little too varied. I know that sounds ridiculous but the platforming in those games felt sooo good that despite the excellent controls of all the vehicles I just wanted to be platforming.

...I just started thinking about the jet-ski and now I'm starting to question myself.

#19 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2159 posts) -

Man, a new Crash Bash, Crash Team Racing, and a new Crash game proper on ps4 would be amazing. Also do people not like Crash Bash....i never seen it mentioned even though it has great party minigames.

I liked it but I don't think it was a particularly good game and the fact that you needed a multitap to get the most out of it probably hurts it.

#20 Edited by Nicked (249 posts) -

I'd love to see Sony do a new Crash game, though it would be bananas if Microsoft had bought the IP.

#21 Posted by e30bmw (356 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter: I used to play the shit out of some Crash Bash when I was like 8 or 9. No idea if it is any good.

And I'm glad to see other people giving CTR some love, that's a great game. I bought that digitally on my PS3.

#22 Posted by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

what about spyro????

#23 Posted by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

I'm going to start a hot new rumor that Naughty Dog is going to reboot Crash.

Wait, ND gonna reboot crash???? LET ME GO TELL EVERYONE ON THE INTERNET

#24 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2159 posts) -

@manhattan_project said:

It's been longer than that for me and I wouldn't be surprised to find that time hasn't been kind to the original. I just found Crash 3 a little too varied. I know that sounds ridiculous but the platforming in those games felt sooo good that despite the excellent controls of all the vehicles I just wanted to be platforming.

...I just started thinking about the jet-ski and now I'm starting to question myself.

The variety is why I like Warped so much. From the motorcycle stages to riding a tiger cub on the Great Wall of China (THAT JUMPING) to the Egyptian themed levels (the pitch black ones were fantastic!) all of it was crazy and fun.

Dammit, Sony or whoever has the rights better release an HD collection.

#25 Edited by ProfessorEss (7402 posts) -

@nicked said:

I'd love to see Sony do a new Crash game, though it would be bananas if Microsoft had bought the IP.

I think it would be meaningless if Microsoft bought it. There's been too many lousy multi-platform games for Crash to be considered a big get for anyone but Sony. I'm not really interested Sony getting it either if they're not planning on putting Naughty Dog on it.

EDIT: Wait a sec... if Microsoft announced Crash Bandicoot in development by... RARE I might be piqued.

#26 Posted by e30bmw (356 posts) -

I'd pay up to $59.99 plus applicable taxes for a Naughty Dog made Crash reboot.

#27 Posted by ProfessorEss (7402 posts) -
#28 Posted by Redbullet685 (6047 posts) -

The sign on the right of this picture is a literal sign that Crash is back to Sony (the bottom sign that's outlined with red has a silhouette of Crash inside it, and it's pointing to an orange diamond which is very much similar to the Sony Computer Entertainment logo). This is from the Sony PS4 launch commercial.

#29 Edited by Manhattan_Project (2159 posts) -

The sign on the right of this picture is a literal sign that Crash is back to Sony (the bottom sign that's outlined with red has a silhouette of Crash inside it, and it's pointing to an orange diamond which is very much similar to the Sony Computer Entertainment logo). This is from the Sony PS4 launch commercial.

Forgot about that sign.

What are the odds Sony announces something Crash related at VGX?

#30 Edited by e30bmw (356 posts) -

@redbullet685 said:

Forgot about that sign.

What are the odds Sony announces something Crash related at VGX?

That's what I'm hoping. This evening I've gone from forgetting that Crash exists to being potentially bummed if there isn't an announcement for a new Crash game haha.

#31 Posted by Korwin (2871 posts) -

I love CTR so much. So, so much.

CTR was superior to Mario Kart in every single way, come at me internet.

#32 Edited by crithon (3312 posts) -

huh, well this changes things..... I don't know, activision is such an evil company, you'd imagine it'd be like a big law suit to remove it, or like they did something horrible to the right's holder's family. I just think the news about it would be on par with THQ liquidation or something like that.

But last night was replaying Mario 3d Land the biggest problem I see with Crash coming back would be really just growing stale fast. That's not any easy thing because we do have a glut of retro platforms and everyone talks about Rayman and anything by the Mario Galaxy games team because there's enough variety in these games.

#33 Posted by TurboMan (7560 posts) -

what about spyro????

No chance on Spyro because he's tied to the Skylanders franchise and there's no way Activision will sell that away.

#34 Posted by MEATBALL (3264 posts) -

I hope this is true, because whatever Sony does with Crash can't help but be better than what Activision has been doing with Crash (nothing?).

Yeah, I guess, but I'm guessing it'd just be handed off to one of their fifth-string studios that'll make the most rote, uninspired Crash game possible.

#35 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

@meatball said:
@mooseymcman said:

Yeah, I guess, but I'm guessing it'd just be handed off to one of their fifth-string studios that'll make the most rote, uninspired Crash game possible.

Maybe they'd give it to Naughty Dog since their studio can handle more than one game? If so I may have to get a PS4 because I'm a Crash fan.