Patrick starting Dark Souls

• 153 results
Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@bisonhero: That was sorta my point. When you follow the advice of picking up the Drake Sword you have no reason to figure that stuff out (either through a wiki or in-game). It's very easy to get the Drake Sword and go "my damage is no problem, but I'm dying a lot, so I'm just gonna pump vit".

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ares42: Anyone relying on the Drake Sword usually starts to get their comeuppance around Sen's Fortress when they realize they can no longer dispatch enemies in a hit or two.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove said:

Feel free to correct me but master key doesn't really do all *that* much to the game overall, does it? The most major factor it affects is opening the route between valley of drakes and blight town i.e. skipping undead burg, the depths and upper blight town, as well as giving you access to Havel and the dark root hydra/grass root shield. The master key doesn't dramatically give you a huge advantage over non master key owners (you can acquire it anyway from Domnhall near firelink after beating the lame ass gaping dragon for 5k souls). At best you can skip three bosses (Taurus, Capra, gaping), at worst you miss out on an ember and some items. Admittedly the Capra is a douche, but you can kill at least one of the dogs with firebombs by throwing them over the fog gate, negating the threat somewhat. After the two bells the master key becomes useless. You're better with the old witchs ring.

I suppose theoretically the Master Key can cause confusion in new players by giving them access to things "out of order." Meeting Havel and Infested Barbarians that early in the game can be super discouraging.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@ares42 said:

@bisonhero: That was sorta my point. When you follow the advice of picking up the Drake Sword you have no reason to figure that stuff out (either through a wiki or in-game). It's very easy to get the Drake Sword and go "my damage is no problem, but I'm dying a lot, so I'm just gonna pump vit".

I guess? I'm not sure that directly follows, because even with the Drake Sword, a player would have to be really clueless when it comes to common RPG mechanics if they think that at no point will they need to consider investing points in a stat that correlates to damage (whether it be strength, dexterity, intelligence, etc.).

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Ares42

@bisonhero: Well, look at it this way. Some RPGs operate with a "requirement" system. Your stats doesn't really do anything other than allowing you to use better gear. You get better loot, and to use that loot you need better stats. And if you look at the system presented in Dark Souls that's exactly the kinda system that seems apparent. You can very easily see what stats a weapon requires (and you will see weapons with higher and higher requirements and damage early in the game), while it's not very apparent how stats add damage (especially before they added explenation button on the char screen). Gear also has no stats, hinting at a system where you get stats through levels and gear through stats.

Again though, I'm only talking about my own experience, and I definitely fell in that trap. I remember loading up my first character after having beat the game a few times, looking at his character sheet and thinking "what the hell was I thinking?". I've also seen plenty of other new-comers struggle with similar issues.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@ares42: Fair enough. I can see how that could happen.