12 minutes of Dark Souls II gameplay footage + Trailer

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Does it look like Dark Souls? Yes. Ok. Done. Sold.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@ares42 said:

@golguin said:

I just finished the demo and I'm happy that they didn't mess around with the core gameplay. The sword seemed to have a 3 hit animation on it, which I hope is an exclusive weapon thing and not combo based attacks from mashing the button. One button press should be 1 hit. I don't think you should have combo hits.

There are already several weapons in Dark Souls that have combo-attacks like that.

As for what they showed. I love that they seem to have made dual-weilding a thing, although the combat seems faster (might just be my mind playing tricks on me) which could alter the game quite a bit. Not a big fan of the effects in the new engine, but I guess that's probably still under development. No Havok is great though. I'm really curious about the moon-sign next to your bars, but they wouldn't talk about it in the QA. Parts of it seemed very much like "we're making a sequel, so we added this and that". They said Estus would remain so hopefully the healing drops are just a demo thing, as a re-introduction of farmable healing items would not be great (yes, you could use humanity, but....)

Overall it didn't quite live up to my expectations, but they were probably unrealistically high anyways.

I know there are several weapons in Dark Souls that have combo attacks. That's why I said I hope its a weapon exclusive thing and not a combo based button mash attack.

It's fine if they give that sword with the 3 hit attack animation at the start to help out new players, but I hope the game remains one hit one button press.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Clonedzero

so what do you guys think? next-gen? current? have they said?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

current they were playing it on the xbox

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#107  Edited By Marz

I'd most likely say it's 360 and PS3, doesn't seem like a significant upgrade that those consoles couldn't handle this game.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#108  Edited By Timing

I don't know. I guess I was hoping for a little more atmosphere, but it looked alright. One of the many details I appreciated in Demon's and Dark Souls was the realistic stair animation, and they seem to have done away with that. Hopefully that doesn't mean the game is not as detailed as Demon's and Dark 1 as a whole either. Also I'm not necessarily a fan of the cinematic camera angles seen in the bridge and chariot scenes. Souls games suck you in by means of atmospheric content, not dynamic 'packaging' for lack of a better word.

That said, this part looked pretty cool.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/2/27898/2467992-4898692785-fdsxg.gif

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a non IGN link.

Loading Video...

LOL oh man a few minutes in and this is already sounding like a disaster waiting to happen.

Firstly it looks...exactly like Dark Souls. Really wish this was next gen exclusive.

Dude's already talking about simple controls for combat AKA dumbing down.

He doesn't take much damage from the initial enemies, but to be fair they could've had reduced damage for the sake of the demo or a ton of vitality. Also it's not like early enemies in Dark Souls would damage you heavily later in the game. Or it could just be casualized. Then again he took a ton of damage from that heavily armored fatso.

The torch mechanic sounds like it could just be really annoying.

Sort of lazy that the "You Died" screen is exactly the same.

This dude hosting the reveal looks like a real, uninterested douche.

The guy giving out the information must be a moron. "There are no enemies in this area immediately because we want players to be nervous and stressed." BOY SURE AM GONNA BE NERVOUS KNOWING THERE'S NO ENEMIES AROUND. Thanks guys.

It was an okay reveal. I'm sure I'll buy it and love it, but it was overall really disappointing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#110  Edited By Humanity

For better or worse it looks like more Souls. Third game in I guess I was expecting slightly more dramatic changes but one can't really judge an unfinished product based on a 12 minute press demo.

For what it's worth it does look like they got the framerate under control, back to that Demons Souls standard.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

@marz said:

@clonedzero said:

I'd most likely say it's 360 and PS3, doesn't seem like a significant upgrade that those consoles couldn't handle this game.

Already confirmed for 360, PS3, and PC

My favorite thing about this reveal is all the internet psychics are coming out of the wood work to be unreasonably dismissive and calling the final product a steaming pile of shit from a 12 minute, still-in-development demo build of the game. Don't ever change, internet. (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a non IGN link.

Loading Video...

LOL oh man a few minutes in and this is already sounding like a disaster waiting to happen.

Firstly it looks...exactly like Dark Souls. Really wish this was next gen exclusive.

Dude's already talking about simple controls for combat AKA dumbing down.

He doesn't take much damage from the initial enemies, but to be fair they could've had reduced damage for the sake of the demo or a ton of vitality. Also it's not like early enemies in Dark Souls would damage you heavily later in the game. Or it could just be casualized. Then again he took a ton of damage from that heavily armored fatso.

The torch mechanic sounds like it could just be really annoying.

Sort of lazy that the "You Died" screen is exactly the same.

This dude hosting the reveal looks like a real, uninterested douche.

The guy giving out the information must be a moron. "There are no enemies in this area immediately because we want players to be nervous and stressed." BOY SURE AM GONNA BE NERVOUS KNOWING THERE'S NO ENEMIES AROUND. Thanks guys.

It was an okay reveal. I'm sure I'll buy it and love it, but it was overall really disappointing.

what did you want ? if they changed the game and added new features such as the torch mechanic your like "LOL THEY DUM IT DOWN IT GOIN TO SUX" if they keep the motto if it aint broke dont fix it which is probably going to happen your like "LOL IT LOOKS LIKE DARK SOULS 1 OMG ITS NOT NEXT GEN"

Avatar image for commander_crichton
Commander_Crichton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You guys never are satisfied now are you?

Nicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Nicked

Seemed a little set piece-y to me, but I get that you'd want to show that sort of thing in this type of reveal. I liked the loneliness/emptiness of Dark Souls 1 which probably doesn't play well in a short video. The bridge thing and dragon skeleton seemed like "gotcha" insta-death moments as opposed to something like a flaming barrel getting rolled at you or an encounter with an enemy you're too weak to fight.

Did he block 100% damage with that torch? That's kind of dumb.

I'm still excited, but a little wary of how easy it would be for them to lose the magic of Dark Souls 1. I don't know that this game shows well in more "hardcore" fans' eyes in such a scripted and brief environment.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Only a minute and a few seconds into the video, but I'm liking the new UI changes they've made. I'm guessing the bar under the weapons indicates their durability.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: He was saying that one of the staples of Dark Souls combat is the simple controls (along with "trial and error and strategic gameplay") and that that will continue in DS2. I think it would be pretty hard to simplify the Dark Souls controls, they aren't very complex.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what did you want ?

Attention.

Getting the thread back on track for everybody else:

Plop!

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Aegon
pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By pyrodactyl

Any word on the role-playing/leveling system? I'm still worried they will make everyone play a single character in a standard story...

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#121  Edited By BabyChooChoo
No Caption Provided

FFFFFFF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like more of those two games I really liked. Hmm, but I need a way to complain?

It looks too much like those games I really liked!

Freelancer52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Freelancer52

Seems like every thing I would want out of this type of game.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By jimmyfenix

can some one make a gif when the player got one shotted by the axe ?

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Morbid_Coffee
jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nilazz said:

You guys never are satisfied now are you?

Did you notice the 90% positive comments in this thread?

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

They need to improve that framerate, love what they are doing with the torch in the dungeons. Always hate it games that a torch is usually unnecessary but in this it actually looks pitch black.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that was amazing

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@immortalsaiyan: I love Bayonetta, though probably not enough to buy a Wii U just the second one (but I could once the price drops and something else good comes out for it). Platformers are the only hyper difficult genre I haven't got into heavily as of yet (though I've still beaten a fair number of somewhat difficult ones); that may change in the future. I'd probably use Battletoads as a starting point and go from there.

I think the idea behind Tomb of the Giants was good just the walkback through the Catacombs (of course now I'm adept at it and it takes 35 seconds to get to Pinwheel from the second bonfire, but I digress) and the enemies they put against you on narrow ledges were a bad choice. The skeletal beasts are terribly designed, but fortunately they're only after you get to the first bonfire.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By jimmyfenix
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#132  Edited By musubi

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks awesome! It looks like dual wielding is improved. At 2:06 he strikes with two weapons simultaneously.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By SSully

That bridge scene/death was fantastic.

Overbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@studsmckewl: The DLC can only be accessed after getting the Lord Vessel so if you don;t mind playing half the game again to get to the new content go for it.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

New trailer!

Loading Video...

And the image of this guy flashes really quickly near the end:

No Caption Provided

I bet he crushes you with his chin. I hope he crushes you with his chin. Chin Demon!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#137  Edited By Yummylee

Fucking yes. Man, the environments look absolutely stunning and watching the combat in action reminded me why I adore these games so much. I've always especially loved how unscripted the world feels; no cutscenes, no camera pulls, just you discovering through the gameplay. That ogre in the cell is just sorta there for you to tamper with, but can, possibly, be ignored all the same.

This'll no doubt be another first-day purchase for me like the prior Souls games.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix said:

what did you want ?

Attention.

Getting the thread back on track for everybody else:

Plop!

I forgot to mention that the backstab counter was AMAZING and it needs to be implemented into PVP in a real way (not like the "fake" ways that result in 0 dmg thanks to lag and animation priority issues). There should be a frame window where the player getting backstabbed should be able to minimize the damage being dealt or deal a counter attack.

That would solve a lot of the fishing issues and lag issues that result in unstoppable backstabs.

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@marz said:

@clonedzero said:

Already confirmed for 360, PS3, and PC

My favorite thing about this reveal is all the internet psychics are coming out of the wood work to be unreasonably dismissive and calling the final product a steaming pile of shit from a 12 minute, still-in-development demo build of the game. Don't ever change, internet. (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

It looked high resolution and fast framerate so hopefully they'll have 60fps available out of the box on PC (and next-gen consoles if any). Even if not I could give a crap. Can not wait.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just beat Demon Souls, fuck 3-2.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

@golguin said:

I forgot to mention that the backstab counter was AMAZING and it needs to be implemented into PVP in a real way (not like the "fake" ways that result in 0 dmg thanks to lag and animation priority issues). There should be a frame window where the player getting backstabbed should be able to minimize the damage being dealt or deal a counter attack.

That would solve a lot of the fishing issues and lag issues that result in unstoppable backstabs.

As far as I'm concerned, there's only one way to PVP

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#142  Edited By ike7779

I bet he crushes you with his chin. I hope he crushes you with his chin. Chin Demon!

Cut it off during the fight and get the Cleft Crusher.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looked really good but the most of the enemies weren't hitting that hard but maybe that's just to showcase the game without having to worry about dying a lot (I mean show off movesets of the player character and the enemies so that you can get a feel for how the game plays). That part in the dragon mansion was pretty cool. The graphics overall are improved but all I would really want is a smooth framerate (60 fps would be nice), not improved graphics.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senrat: Valley of Defilement is worse, just sayin.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

It looked really good but the most of the enemies weren't hitting that hard but maybe that's just to showcase the game without having to worry about dying a lot (I mean show off movesets of the player character and the enemies so that you can get a feel for how the game plays). That part in the dragon mansion was pretty cool. The graphics overall are improved but all I would really want is a smooth framerate (60 fps would be nice), not improved graphics.

I'm speculating that the reason they're not doing damage is because:

1. They were undead soldiers. They always do shit damage.
  2. The level looked a lot like an introductory level.
  3. The guy was in full armor.
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@senrat said:

I just beat Demon Souls, fuck 3-2.

3-2 is not that bad. Now 5-2.. well

Overall though, the atmosphere is just so much better in my opinion. 3-1, the Tower of Latria is amazing.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gogosox82 said:

I'm speculating that the reason they're not doing damage is because:

1. They were undead soldiers. They always do shit damage.
  2. The level looked a lot like an introductory level.
  3. The guy was in full armor.

That's true and the bigger enemies did a ton of damage especially the dude who one shot him with the axe. I guess I'm just used to Dark Souls where the armor sets have a distinct style to it so when I saw the armor I was thinking it was a lighter set since he was able to dodge around pretty quickly.

iGooner7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The animation is just BEAUTIFUL! We will meet again with an insane journey!

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, so hyped for this. Cannot wait.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#150  Edited By Slag

This looks really sweet, far better than I was expecting.

Sold!