#1 Posted by Random45 (1212 posts) -

So I managed to kill this guy easily about a week ago on my first run through the game, but that was before the nerf to the gower ring. Now the ring doesn't block the fire attack he does when flying in the air, and the fight is significantly harder as a result. I read online and found a trick to make it so he only stomps, but even doing that, he eventually flies in the air regardless. I know you can potentially get 900 fire resistance, but getting that amount is way more work than I'm really willing to put up with, so the only thing I can do now is just figure out just HOW to avoid the damn fire when he inevitably does that attack. Where in the world do I run to when he does it? Whenever he's in the air, it's pretty much an instant death, since the fire attack does such a huge amount of damage. Every other attack he does I can dodge easily - hell, it wouldn't even really be much of a fight IF he didn't have this nigh unblockable and undodge-able ability of his.

So, any tips on how to avoid this damn attack?

#2 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1263 posts) -

I haven't fought him in new game plus yet but I did have a lot of trouble fighting him the first time.

For the flying attack, the only advice I can give is that if you're close to him while he's in the air you have to run to be underneath or behind him during the attack. If you're at least medium distance away you can try to run out of range. The flame attack has a long range taking up at least a third to half the arena.

I found that being medium distance away is what killed me more often than not. Too often you get trapped.

#3 Posted by kaos_cracker (588 posts) -

Stay close too him and when he flies up get as far away as possible. I think that is what I did.

#4 Posted by nasp (307 posts) -

i found going back and forth between his two feet and attacking his toes,made him stay on the ground for a very long time.alot of the time he never flew up in the air once.

#5 Edited by Spoonman671 (4640 posts) -

Stay as close to his rear legs as possible. Like, literally touching them. When he tries to stomp on you, run to the other leg and stick to it like glue. Then repeat. This keeps him in an animation loop of trying to attack you with one leg, then the other.

He may still do his downward fire breath attack, in which case you need to sprint away towards Ancient Dragon's back at the first sign of his lift-off animation.

#6 Posted by Random45 (1212 posts) -

Thanks for the advice guys, basically it boiled down to what Spoonman said, IMMEDIATELY when I noticed him flying animation starting, I booked it and was able to avoid it for the most part.

And I did do the stick to the hind legs strategy, but occasionally I would balls it up and have to avoid the flying attack. Once you get it down though, the Dragon is really easy.

#7 Posted by freakin9 (1121 posts) -

Had the same issue, thought it was annoying, but then when I beat him I realized I could rinse repeat what I did every single time. Stay at 45 degree angle, in front of his head, and shoot magic. Simple as that. He'll just pivot and forward fire all day.

Sucks it's not a co-opable fight. Would love to beat him for people, but the dragon will just agro to them and the "fun" begins.

#8 Posted by Random45 (1212 posts) -

@freakin9 said:

Had the same issue, thought it was annoying, but then when I beat him I realized I could rinse repeat what I did every single time. Stay at 45 degree angle, in front of his head, and shoot magic. Simple as that. He'll just pivot and forward fire all day.

Sucks it's not a co-opable fight. Would love to beat him for people, but the dragon will just agro to them and the "fun" begins.

Ohhh, that's a good plan. I'll be sure to do that next time I reach him.

#9 Edited by Meorrow (5 posts) -

My strat is basically the same - hump the rear legs. When/if he does fly up, I run for his tail rather than "away". You have to be quick to find the tail, but if you do it fast and run towards it you should be safe.

#10 Posted by HistoryInRust (6316 posts) -

Pray.

#11 Posted by Random45 (1212 posts) -

Stay as close to his rear legs as possible. Like, literally touching them. When he tries to stomp on you, run to the other leg and stick to it like glue. Then repeat. This keeps him in an animation loop of trying to attack you with one leg, then the other.

He may still do his downward fire breath attack, in which case you need to sprint away towards Ancient Dragon's back at the first sign of his lift-off animation.

I figured out how this works now - apparently you need to do a certain amount of damage to his leg to trigger the stomping animation. When I figured this out, the boss became significantly easier.