#1 Posted by Myrmicus (213 posts) -

Just one question there : HOW THE F*** CAN I ACHIEVE THIS ?!

Man... Keep cool, take a deep breath. *Breath.*
More seriously though. I was in, killed and was killed equally and Titchy Gren never gave me my rank up. Then, I went to the wiki and it says that the kils are 50/150/500 kills. But wait, all the kills does not count ! First, only duel in the arena OR killing a host with cracked red eye orb invasion count toward your kills. Red sign soapstone doesn't count. Oh and the two doesn't stack... and because the devs felt it was too easy to achieve high ranking... EVERY TIME YOU DIE, YOU GET -1 TO YOUR KILL COUNT !

Seriously, how the hell am I supposed to achieve this without being a PvP god, or resorting on the cheapest techniques.
Being honorable doesn't pay, but now it's being punished in the Brotherhood of Blood.

#2 Edited by Yummylee (21276 posts) -

Wait.. seriously? You really get a -1 point towards your overall progress when you die? Man, if that's really the case, then I'm glad I gave it up. A lot of people enjoy the PVP for the sake of the PVP, but for me unless I'm working towards something, it can feel a little pointless. Plus, it was getting to be tiresome in constantly facing the same hex/sorcery builds over and over that everybody loves so much.

I imagine it's the same for the Blue Sentinels, too... Really weird why they both have such a tall order for ranking up, when every other covenant is a walk in the park in comparison. Think you only need about 30 sun medals to hit the max rank in the Sun covenant, and both the Belfry and Rat covenants don't come close to requiring like 500 or so kills, either. The amount of people I've seen equipped in the full dragon armour also implies that that too doesn't ask nearly as much of the player.

#3 Posted by golguin (3847 posts) -

@myrmicus said:

Just one question there : HOW THE F*** CAN I ACHIEVE THIS ?!

Man... Keep cool, take a deep breath. *Breath.*

More seriously though. I was in, killed and was killed equally and Titchy Gren never gave me my rank up. Then, I went to the wiki and it says that the kils are 50/150/500 kills. But wait, all the kills does not count ! First, only duel in the arena OR killing a host with cracked red eye orb invasion count toward your kills. Red sign soapstone doesn't count. Oh and the two doesn't stack... and because the devs felt it was too easy to achieve high ranking... EVERY TIME YOU DIE, YOU GET -1 TO YOUR KILL COUNT !

Seriously, how the hell am I supposed to achieve this without being a PvP god, or resorting on the cheapest techniques.

Being honorable doesn't pay, but now it's being punished in the Brotherhood of Blood.

It's true that kills don't stack (Blood Arena and Cracked Eye Invasions track separately) and you get a -1 for every loss. I have a combined win/loss ration of over 50, but I don't have +50 through each method. I won 50 orbs and used them to invade. I win most of the time, but even a 7 wins and 3 losses session only nets you a +4.

PVP is mostly high leveled in the arena so you should level up if you want to compete with the people that have 2000+ HP and can kill you in 1-3 hits. My lv 99 build is doing fine, but getting +50 is going to take some time since I have to constantly be on point against those powerful builds.

#4 Posted by Myrmicus (213 posts) -

@yummylee: To clarify, that's not ALL death that nets you -1 to your killcount, only deaths in the Arena or during an invasion decrease your killcount. But that's still awfull.

And no, the Blue Sentinels doent seem to have such difficult leveling prerequisites : The kill count is the same, duel/cracked blue orb invasion (I believe the two counts are separated, but the wiki doesn't say anything about this) and dying while performing your duty doesn't seem to net you a -1 to your killcount.

#5 Posted by mosespippy (4043 posts) -

It seems to me like people are finding spots in the singleplayer that are likely to have low HP players and farming them. Seen a bunch in Shrine of Amana. Had one guy twice in 5 minutes yesterday in Huntsman's Copse who was trying to get you in the spot between the two Black Phantom sickle dudes. Happens in Dragon Shrine a bunch as well. I try to use a Giant Seed there. I've never lost when using one. You get them in Belfry Sol too. I'm not sure if killing grey phantoms counts but me and a black phantom teamed up on 2 grey phantoms the other day before we fought it out ourselves.

#6 Posted by Myrmicus (213 posts) -

Only host kills and blue phantom kills count (wiki is your friend).

Anyway, I gave up for now, until I go back to the Shrine (I'm on my way through NG+). Thanks for the tips.

#7 Edited by Sterling (2084 posts) -

And that is why I went to NG++ and bought the level 3 reward for the trophy. Because fuck that noise.

#8 Posted by Skyrider (332 posts) -

I honestly don't mind the whole -1 aspect. I was definitely caught off guard, but I think it's actually kind of neat. Sure, I can see it being frustrating if you're just trying to get all of the achievements, but in my mind it makes sense that the best players would be the ones to reach the higher ranks.Well, the "best", since there will always be hackers, modders, people who used the mule, and griefers etc., but there are plenty of players who reach those ranks legitimately. If I manage to rank up even once in the Brotherhood of Blood, I'll consider that somewhat of a graduation for me in terms of my pvp skills. I probably won't, but I still enjoy the free dueling.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (14569 posts) -

@sterling: Yep same here. Rounding up the last few unique spells is my final task and fuck doing 500 battles that is just ridiculous when sunbros,ratbros and bellbros only require 30 wins each.

#10 Posted by development (2086 posts) -

I've been dueling in the BoB for over a week now, and your thoughts are correct: it encourages many people to use use the same builds and a few people even whip out dual-Avelyns. But keep in mind that I said "many," not "most." It sucks to run into the same 5 builds and dirtbags who use projectiles on low health, but not everyone does that.

That being said, it fucking sucks. Shit ain't fun when half the time you realize mid/end-fight that your opponent has no interest in a fair fight.

#11 Posted by pyrodactyl (1888 posts) -

The rewards are bullshit anyway.

#12 Posted by Sterling (2084 posts) -

Ya the level 3 reward, great chaos fireball, is less powerful than flame swath.

#13 Posted by development (2086 posts) -

If anyone's interested in the covenant, even with all its shit, there are a couple things you should know:

1. ALL the rewards can be obtained through MUCH easier methods, whether from drops or simply buying them from merchants.

2. Took me like 300 matches before I realized you can *kinda* pick which arena you fight in. Left is bridge. Middle is big area with the upper level with holes in it. Right is (my favorite) the one with the raised wooden platform in the middle. There's no way to guarantee the arena, but by my estimates it's like a 90-95 percent chance you'll get the right one. All you spellcasters go have fun on your bridge.

#14 Posted by pyrodactyl (1888 posts) -

@sterling said:

@pyrodactyl said:

Ya the level 3 reward, great chaos fireball, is less powerful than flame swath.

Murder is its own reward and as a pure int build there is no useful rewards in any covenants anyway.

#15 Posted by golguin (3847 posts) -

If anyone's interested in the covenant, even with all its shit, there are a couple things you should know:

1. ALL the rewards can be obtained through MUCH easier methods, whether from drops or simply buying them from merchants.

2. Took me like 300 matches before I realized you can *kinda* pick which arena you fight in. Left is bridge. Middle is big area with the upper level with holes in it. Right is (my favorite) the one with the raised wooden platform in the middle. There's no way to guarantee the arena, but by my estimates it's like a 90-95 percent chance you'll get the right one. All you spellcasters go have fun on your bridge.

Bridge is my favorite place to fight and I'm pure DEX Uchigatana. I just dodge roll under whatever they throw at me. It's also very small so it's much harder to heal and run away. The tight quarter also makes accidental rolls of the edge very likely so I pick up some wins that way as well.

The worst areas are those with corners where someone can quickly run away and heal.

#16 Posted by development (2086 posts) -

@golguin: You have a point there. I really suck at dodging Soulmasses, though. It's not the soulmass itself, but the player timing their next attack to hit me as soon as I come out of my dodge. That combined with the unpredictable slight lag on the soulmasses really fucks with me.