#1 Edited by JayEH (538 posts) -

Edit: The Video has been taken down. It was originally from Game Informer's YouTube channel. The trailer is on the site now though.

So I was watching this new dark souls 2 trailer and was surprised to see at the beginning of the trailer that the game received a "T" rating.

I was initially a little shocked since both Demon's and Dark Souls were both M titles. I know this is no indication of how the game will be but I just found it odd. I guess the previous Souls games were sort of "light" M since I don't recall any cursing or nudity or anything like that. (Quelaag would be the only close thing to that)

Namco has made it clear that they want this game to sell well, so maybe they pushed for a T rating to try to sell to more people. Or it could be since it the previous games were so borderline, the ESRB decided to lower the rating on this one. I have no clue, just wondering what everyone else thinks.

#2 Posted by eroticfishcake (7787 posts) -

Could be that. I've played both titles a fair amount and despite the dark themes and whatnot, nothing about either really struck me as a "Mature" title. There's no strong language, nudity is kept at a minimum and there isn't exactly gratuitous amounts of blood too considering what you do to your enemies. So I don't really know why they had an "M" rating let alone giving DaS2 a "T" rating.

Regardless, I doesn't bother me at the slightest. As long as it doesn't get in the way of making a good game, it's age rating is irrelevant to me.

#3 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4866 posts) -

That's a great trailer.

Like, a really great trailer.

On Topic: the ESRB probably realized that in comparison to everything else that gets an M rating Dark Souls really isn't... that. Sure it deals with mature themes and there are elements of body horror and dark fantasy, but it's not really an M as the ESRB tends to rate games.

#4 Posted by Gantrathor (229 posts) -

I was always surprised that the Souls games weren't T rated in the first place. Quelaag might have been what pushed Dark Souls into M territory, but, then again, I've seen some pretty gnarly shit in T rated games that I would consider worse. Maybe there's something that I haven't seen/don't remember in those games that warranted an M rating.

#5 Posted by Spoonman671 (4749 posts) -

There is baby killing in both previous Souls games. That might push you over the edge.

#6 Posted by mrcool11 (469 posts) -

That's a surprisingly great trailer compared to all the other ones I've seen for this game. I'm not too concerned that anything will be toned down from what I saw in Dark Souls. In all honesty, the character designs of Quelaag and Gwynevere detracted from the experience for me; I suppose Quelaag's is more forgivable for juxtaposing "sexy lady" and "spider monster", but it's not entirely necessary. If there is no similar character design in the next game I'm still onboard. And unless the ESRB considers the tail-removal mechanics to be dismemberment, nothing in Dark Souls is violent to the extreme seen in other games.

#7 Posted by mrcool11 (469 posts) -

There is baby killing in both previous Souls games. That might push you over the edge.

Well, this is the first time I'd considered that those weren't "mini-skeletons", but re-animated baby corpses. Fuck. Fuck that game is dark.

#8 Edited by BigJeffrey (5140 posts) -

going for that mainstream market.

#9 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1859 posts) -

Thinking about it now it's... there's really not much about Dark Souls that really made it seem like an M game, was there? The atmosphere was dark as shit and I guess there was some blood cause dudes get stabbed a lot, but there isn't actually anything too bad, huh?

#10 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5899 posts) -

At first it seems a little strange, but the more I think about it's not really.

#11 Posted by Evilsbane (4694 posts) -

So no vagina dragon? Its ruined preorder canceled.

#12 Edited by Rafaelfc (1413 posts) -

Damn, I was expecting this one to have some serious undead / demon boning. Lame.

#13 Edited by plaintomato (599 posts) -

Dang it. During the network test I forgot to strip down and check if I was wearing a Dark Souls g-string or Demon's Souls boxers...

Could it have been all of the gratuitous butt in Dark Souls? The way I remember it, Demon's was a bit bloodier (Adjudicator, the blood swamp), and Dark Souls had more booty and booby. Maybe there aren't any gory or half-naked bosses in 2.

#14 Posted by crithon (3440 posts) -

the whole ESRB rating is rated on just viewing videos.

#15 Posted by golguin (4009 posts) -

I somehow missed that a new Dark Souls 2 trailer came out today so thanks for the heads up. I'm not really concerned about the T rating. I didn't even realize that the first Dark Souls had an M rating.

#16 Posted by Yummylee (22274 posts) -

In the UK it's carrying the same '16' rating as the prior two Souls games.

#17 Posted by ajamafalous (12121 posts) -

I believe they both had partial nudity, which is an instant M, right?

That's probably the only difference with Dark Souls II.

#18 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1805 posts) -

This makes me super bummed because there's probably not going to be an area like Latria from Demon's Souls. That's my favorite area out of both games.

#19 Edited by Random45 (1263 posts) -

I feel like an M rating on Dark Souls is deserved. The games are seriously dark, gloomy, and depressing, and you're killing everything in sight. Honestly, I felt a bit unsettled as I played the game because the atmosphere made me feel kind of sad all the time. If it weren't for how damn GOOD the game was, I would probably have quit playing due to how the game made me feel so down after playing it for a while. Not to mention some of the bosses are REALLY damn creepy, and the Tomb of Giants enemies would have probably scared the shit out of my kid self - hell, they scared me when I was playing.

To be honest, if the setting of Dark Souls 2 isn't as dark, I would actually kind of appreciate it.

#20 Posted by Demoskinos (15097 posts) -

I'm trying to think of what would have even gotten that rating in Demon's Souls. Obviously Queelag for Dark Souls. Haven't played Demon's in ages. Spacing that game entirely.

#21 Edited by MB (12915 posts) -

Is this a final rating? It's not even on the ESRB site yet.

Also - this video has been taken down.

#22 Edited by Ares42 (2771 posts) -

I would guess the earlier games just had one or two minor things that pushed them over the edge and this one doesn't. Doubt it's any major over-arching difference.

#23 Posted by StrainedEyes (1328 posts) -

@demoskinos:

From the ESRB website for Dark Souls:

Rating Summary: This is an adventure role-playing game in which players must battle monsters and collect souls to lift an undead curse across the land. Players use swords, axes, and magic arrows to kill zombies, demons, giant spiders, and other fantasy creatures in both ranged attacks and melee-style combat. Players can also use stealth attacks (e.g., stabbing) to dispatch enemies at close range. Battles are accompanied by slashing sounds, cries of pain, and large splashes of blood. Blood pools may also appear on the ground, and some environments depict flaming bodies impaled on spikes. Boss battles include instances of dismemberment and decapitation (e.g., cutting off a gargoyle's tail, slicing multiple heads off a dragon). During the course of the game, one female enemy's breasts are barely obscured by strands of hair; some bird-like humanoids are also depicted with exposed buttocks.

#24 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5986 posts) -

Maybe critical hits aren't as bloody this time around? Doesn't matter in general.

#25 Posted by Zeik (2652 posts) -

No, there's plenty of T games with that. That descriptor is very misleading, as it rarely means actual nudity. It's usually just something like excessive cleavage or a skimpy outfit.

#26 Edited by MX (243 posts) -

Isn't T just the rating ESRB gave to the trailer?

#27 Posted by ajamafalous (12121 posts) -

@zeik said:

@ajamafalous said:

No, there's plenty of T games with that. That descriptor is very misleading, as it rarely means actual nudity. It's usually just something like excessive cleavage or a skimpy outfit.

Do you have any examples of partial nudity games with a T?

I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious.

#28 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@zeik said:

@ajamafalous said:

Don't mix up Suggestive Themes and Partial Nudity.

Partial Nudity is a sure fire way to get an M.

#29 Posted by Zeik (2652 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@zeik said:

@ajamafalous said:

Don't mix up Suggestive Themes and Partial Nudity.

Partial Nudity is a sure fire way to get an M.

The main one that immediately comes to mind for me is Suikoden V, as I distinctly remember being surprised that they gave it a T with "partial nudity".

I double checked just to be sure btw, and I'm not mistaken.

#30 Edited by Vonocourt (2157 posts) -

@mx said:

Isn't T just the rating ESRB gave to the trailer?

Don't think that happens in video games, just films. Really beyond the occasional age gate, video game trailers seem pretty laissez-faire.

But yeah, I doubt the content will be that much different in tone, maybe less blood and partial nudity. From the little bit I played of Dark Souls, those two didn't seem that important of an element for the overall oppressive atmosphere.

#31 Edited by Kedi2 (255 posts) -