#1 Posted by Spoonman671 (4562 posts) -

I've been rolling a dual-wielding, high-dex character with supplemental bow-play for my second playthrough. Things have been going smoothly, but I find this playstyle a little monotonous and feel some minor spellcasting would help keep things interesting. Since Pyromancies have no intelligence or faith requirements for use they seem like the obvious choice, as I don't care to invest much beyond upgrading the Pyromancy Flame.

My first build was a miracle user, but I have no experience with the other spell schools in Dark Souls 2, so I come to you for advice on which pyromancies would serve me best. I imagine Warmth is an obvious, practical choice in this regard, but are there any other spells that could be useful to an idiot heretic like me?

#2 Posted by Zeik (2231 posts) -

Poison and Toxic. Mostly Toxic. I'm pretty sure it's effectiveness is static, so you do not need to worry about scaling, and it can be ridiculously good in this game under the right circumstances.

Flame Swathe is also a good choice if you want something that deals damage. It does scale, but it still does respectable damage even with the bare minimum faith/intelligence.

#3 Edited by Yummylee (21276 posts) -

Flame swathe -- do it! I think Straid is the guy that sells it, and regardless of your stats that thing is a fucking monster. Also Warmth ain't all that.

#4 Edited by StrainedEyes (1322 posts) -

Yes, Fire Swathe. I didn't put points into faith or int and fire swathe does a ton if damage.

#5 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1735 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Flame swathe -- do it! I think Straid is the guy that sells it, and regardless of your stats that thing is a fucking monster. Also Warmth ain't all that.

Flame Swathe straight tears through all pre-Castle bosses and still does respectable damage against the one's afterwards. Be careful with the cast time though. Without the Blue Tearstone ring and high attunement, it's takes a long time to cast.

Recommending Warmth comes with a caveat; only if you have trouble managing healing items. Wamrth is an AoE heal, but it's really slow and also heals enemies. I've fought with Phantoms that will sometimes throw Warmth out during a boss fight and while it's sometimes handy, more often than not it ends up healing the boss and protracting the fight or gets us killed.

Firestorm seems less useful this time around as the columns seem more random and spread out, and do less damage individually. But it can still do a ton of damage if you are right up on someone big.

I'm playing a Mage (Sorceries, Miracles, Hexes, and Pyromancies) and I find Pyromancy to be the least useful, to be honest. I only have Flame Swathe and Firestorm equipped for tough enemies and bosses,. The other Pyromancies have too few casts compared to their damage (even with the Hexer Hood and 40+ATT) and are much less versatile than the other schools, especially with Hexes around.

#6 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -

Toxic and Poison mist have incredibly long cast times, so using them with no int and low attunment will be somewhat difficult. Flameswath is great damage regardless of stats. While Lingering flame also deals heavy damage, it takes two attunment slots and also has a really slow cast time.

#7 Posted by golguin (3848 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Flame Swathe straight tears through all pre-Castle bosses and still does respectable damage against the one's afterwards. Be careful with the cast time though. Without the Blue Tearstone ring and high attunement, it's takes a long time to cast.

Recommending Warmth comes with a caveat; only if you have trouble managing healing items. Wamrth is an AoE heal, but it's really slow and also heals enemies. I've fought with Phantoms that will sometimes throw Warmth out during a boss fight and while it's sometimes handy, more often than not it ends up healing the boss and protracting the fight or gets us killed.

Firestorm seems less useful this time around as the columns seem more random and spread out, and do less damage individually. But it can still do a ton of damage if you are right up on someone big.

I'm playing a Mage (Sorceries, Miracles, Hexes, and Pyromancies) and I find Pyromancy to be the least useful, to be honest. I only have Flame Swathe and Firestorm equipped for tough enemies and bosses,. The other Pyromancies have too few casts compared to their damage (even with the Hexer Hood and 40+ATT) and are much less versatile than the other schools, especially with Hexes around.

I was a DEX/Pyro in Dark Souls 1 and Firestorm is still extremely good. You just need to know how to use it. I've ended plenty of PVP matches with it once the host uses their Estus.

I look forward to getting my hands on Warmth and that Firesword.

#8 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1735 posts) -

@golguin said:

@soldierg654342 said:

@yummylee said:

I was a DEX/Pyro in Dark Souls 1 and Firestorm is still extremely good. You just need to know how to use it. I've ended plenty of PVP matches with it once the host uses their Estus.

It's still good, don't get me wrong, it's just not as good as in Dark Souls. I've survived taking a hit from Firestorm in Dark Souls II way more times than i ever did in Dark Souls, which is to say at all, and it may be my imagination, but the columns seem to take longer to appear and telegraph there locations more obviously. I've only actively engaged in PvP today, but I've yet to kill with it or be killed by it.

Did the individual columns have their own damage in Dark Souls? I didn't use Pyromancy hardly at all, but in my run ins it seemed like each one did full damage and you'd only get hit once. I could (am probably) be wrong though.

#9 Posted by Zeik (2231 posts) -

@turambar said:

Toxic and Poison mist have incredibly long cast times, so using them with no int and low attunment will be somewhat difficult. Flameswath is great damage regardless of stats. While Lingering flame also deals heavy damage, it takes two attunment slots and also has a really slow cast time.

Toxic is definitely not something you just throw out whenever. You either want to use it preeptively in front of an enemy and let them walk through it, or around a corner and watch their life quickly drain away while being blissfully unaware. It's also good against big slow enemies with long recovery. I was using against the Smelter Demon during several of his long animations. It took off a nice big chunk of HP.

#10 Edited by golguin (3848 posts) -

@golguin said:

@soldierg654342 said:

@yummylee said:

It's still good, don't get me wrong, it's just not as good as in Dark Souls. I've survived taking a hit from Firestorm in Dark Souls II way more times than i ever did in Dark Souls, which is to say at all, and it may be my imagination, but the columns seem to take longer to appear and telegraph there locations more obviously. I've only actively engaged in PvP today, but I've yet to kill with it or be killed by it.

Did the individual columns have their own damage in Dark Souls? I didn't use Pyromancy hardly at all, but in my run ins it seemed like each one did full damage and you'd only get hit once. I could (am probably) be wrong though.

In Dark Souls 1 Pyromancy was only dependent on the pyro glove and you could level that up to max power with enough souls. It didn't scale with any stat. Its power was reduced in Dark Souls 2 since it now scales with INT and FAITH and you need the fire seeds to power it up.

Each column has always done it's own damage. If you get hit with two of them then you'll take damage twice. This hasn't changed in Dark Souls 2.

#11 Edited by Spoonman671 (4562 posts) -

I had considered Lingering Flame solely for its potential psychological effect in PvP. Even if it can't do much damage with low stats, phantoms won't know that unless they're willing to risk triggering the spell and taking damage. That would mean it could still function effectively as an area-denial tool. I rejected actually using it based on it's slot requirements, as they would force me to invest in greater attunement, and I'm being cheap.

Poison/Toxic Mist could definitely work for my situation, but they aren't really my style. I like to play with fire.

I didn't realize that Warmth could heal enemies as well. I thought it would be an excellent Pyromancy for all the co-op I engage in, but if it's going to heal bosses than I don't think it will be worth it.

It seems like Flame Swathe is the way to go for me. The section of the Lost Bastille that Straid resides in happens to be my next destination anyway, so that works out perfectly for me.

Thanks for your input, guys.

#12 Posted by freakin9 (1102 posts) -

Chaos storm can be found in the Iron Keep, but it's a bit tricky to get to as it's standing on lava rocks. Firestorm and Fire Tempest barely do damage compared to what Chaos storm can do.

Flame Swathe is of course, fantastic.