#1 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I've already acquired 30 minutes worth of torches. I have however not acquired the knowledge of how to actually use 'em. I've pushed every button, searched all available options, to no avail.

How to use a torch?

#2 Posted by BisonHero (6526 posts) -

Can you not just walk up to a lit brazier and press A? Or at a bonfire, you have to toggle and then press A? Full disclosure, I've only watched other people play.

#3 Posted by GamingSince81 (35 posts) -

I haven't done it yet myself, but I think if you use the 'Toggle' button at a bonfire you can then light your torch. I don't know how the timer works. Does it reset after the torch goes out or do you need to find/buy more if you use up you time limit?

#4 Posted by smokeyd123 (329 posts) -

@gamingsince81: Yeah, you just go up to the bonfire and toggle it so it says "light torch" you can also light it on ant other sconces you have lit. I haven't found any to buy, but yes, you need to find more.

#5 Edited by beard_of_zeus (1685 posts) -
@bisonhero said:

Can you not just walk up to a lit brazier and press A? Or at a bonfire, you have to toggle and then press A? Full disclosure, I've only watched other people play.

The former is the only way of that I know how to do it. I tried the latter, but bonfire fire seems to be too magical to go on a torch.

EDIT: Apparently other commenters claim you CAN use the bonfire. I must go try this!

I'll admit this is a little confusing because the torch doesn't show up as an actual item in your inventory you can equip and pull out, like most weapons/shields. It basically only exists as that timer on your equipment screen.

I worry that I'm wasting a lot of time trying to light braziers like a crazy person (WHAT DO THEY DO, I MUST KNOW!! p.s. don't tell me)

#6 Posted by kaos_cracker (588 posts) -

Took me about an hour to realize you don't equip the torch manually. But yeah, any bonfire or fire stand should work.

#7 Edited by BisonHero (6526 posts) -

@beard_of_zeus: Yeah, the implementation of the torch seems really strange, in that it's a physical object that you have to hold in one of your hands, yet it doesn't actually take up a slot anywhere in your inventory. It's just this big fat timer in your inventory menu. I assume the torch doesn't increase your weight at all, since there's no way to drop it?

Maybe the whole torch thing is a result of them getting a bunch of feedback from players that everybody hated Tomb of Giants and how it's possible to miss the lantern and/or put the lantern into their inventory and forget about it. So now the torch is this big prominent mechanic you can't forget about and forcibly always have with you, as long as you can find somewhere to light it.

I still kinda prefer Vinny's original theory where he thought you couldn't use bonfires, and that this one sconce early in the game is the ur-sconce that is the source of all future sconces you ever light. It has a very "Olympic flame" vibe to it.

#8 Posted by Steadying (1240 posts) -

You can light it at a Bonfire? I tried that yesterday and it wouldn't let me. Probably missed something.

#9 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Thx guys. Cleared things up for me.

#10 Posted by Baillie (4173 posts) -

Walk up to a bonfire and press Y / Triangle to Toggle onto lighting the torch.

#11 Posted by MiniPato (2741 posts) -

Yeah, as everyone said, you gotta toggle it with Y/Triangle when you walk up to it. It's not a menu option on the bonfire menu. Which, now that I think about it, makes a lot of sense. If you just wanted to light your torch without respawning all the enemies, then you can. I just wish they made it clearer.