#101 Edited by Sessh (735 posts) -

Right now I'm using the fire longsword, you can find relatively early on. I hope to find a Katana or something similar soon. Also any kind of catalyst (if someone wants to give me a hint where to find one, feel free).

#102 Posted by amlabella (323 posts) -

I wish the Twinblade did more damage because the moveset on that thing is awesome. I've been using the firesword for most of the game and it's been working out pretty well. I'm starting to regret going for a dex build though, seems like most of the weapons so far scale best with strength. Hopefully I come across a katana or something like that soon.

#103 Posted by Spoonman671 (4565 posts) -

I'm still using my Cleric's starting mace, but I'm looking to make a change. I really like the strike damage and speed, but the poor range has gotten me killed several times. I've stopped investing in upgrading it so I know my damage output will be lacking pretty soon.

Interesting side note: the Cleric's initial strength stat is not high enough to effectively wield the mace. You have to put one point into strength to get full damage out of it.

#104 Posted by Maginnovision (485 posts) -

Now I'm using black knight halberd, and dragonrider bow

#105 Edited by Skyrider (334 posts) -

Not playing my cleric anymore since I dun goofed and can't get the proper white soapstone. Switched back to my original character and used the falchion for a bit, but have since switched to the Halberd as I quite like the moveset.

#106 Posted by MiniPato (2721 posts) -

Using the Heide Long Sword, halberd, blacksmith hammer you get from McDuff's chest, and the dragonrider bow. Right now I'm a strength/dex hybrid. Got 1 attunement slot so I can use Warmth. Very useful when summoning help or being summoned.

#107 Edited by Strangestories (111 posts) -

Used the heide sword for a looooong time. Switched to the mace which I used for the rest of the game since it had an A scale in strength at +10. Found out about the red rust sword which starts with an A scale in strength after beating the last boss and am currently trying to get enough twinkling titanite to upgrade it to +5.

Oh, and the Dragonrider Bow is extremely powerful as a strength build. I killed the final boss just using it.

#108 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

On my new character the first two Large Undead I killed gave me Malformed Skulls; destiny is at hand!

#109 Posted by Zeik (2260 posts) -

Still using a basic Halberd. I've pumped a lot of points into Strength but I have yet to find a good strength weapon I really like.

#110 Posted by Sterling (2085 posts) -

I feel like the weapons in this one are not as good as the first. Why does the Uchigatana not have a bleed effect? And so far no boss weapon is as good as my Old Knight Ultra Greatsword +10. And when I need something faster I use the drancliec or what ever sword +3. No other smaller sword is as good as that thing. And you get it super early. Maybe I am crazy. But the weapons seems all out of sorts to me.

I also have a +8 katana (again, why do no dex weapons have bleed by default?) that I added lightning to. And it does less damage on a swing than a regular +8 katana. What is the point of adding an element attack? You get better damage adding the buff to the weapon. There is no point in using the stones to "upgrade" them.

#111 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

Used the Drangliec Sword for a long time until i found the katanas. Now i'm dual wielding katanas, one blacksteel and one uchi. For a while though i was dual wielding greatswords, which was pretty awesome and kinda dumb. I have enough stats to dual wield ultra greatswords, but it pushes my weight up too high. I plan to get the other katanas that the load screens keep showing me. Poison katana sounds pretty awesome.

#112 Edited by Zeik (2260 posts) -

@sterling: Do you have a low Faith stat? Elemental weapons are no longer static, they scale with the magic stats now. I believe it also diminishes the scaling of your other offensive stats, so you'll get even less out of a Dex or Strength weapon than you normally would.

If you want to add an element to a non-magic build I'd pick poison or something, since that scales with Adaptibility, which is still a good stat for melee builds.

#113 Posted by Demoskinos (14588 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: What enemies are those?

To answer the actual question I'm currently using a Bastard Sword +10 and The Persuer's Ultra Great sword +3

#114 Posted by Sterling (2085 posts) -

@zeik: My faith is 20. And ya I keep forgetting about how all the other stats affect this stuff now. That is probably why all these elemental weapons I have don't do jack. My INT is 5 I think.

#115 Posted by Pilgrimm1981 (42 posts) -

As a cleric, I was using a mace and a bastard sword (depending on type of enemy mob) for the longest time. Now I switched to Great Club, reinforced it to +10 and I'm loving it.

#116 Posted by Ravelle (1196 posts) -

A Falchion and a bastard sword at the moment.

#117 Posted by benspyda (2030 posts) -

I've stuck with a bastard sword(which is now +10) mainly and switching to either Persuer's Ultra Great sword or Giant Club if I need more range or damage per hit. I also really like my Dragonrider bow as a bow that scales with str.

#118 Edited by benspyda (2030 posts) -

Used the Drangliec Sword for a long time until i found the katanas. Now i'm dual wielding katanas, one blacksteel and one uchi. For a while though i was dual wielding greatswords, which was pretty awesome and kinda dumb. I have enough stats to dual wield ultra greatswords, but it pushes my weight up too high. I plan to get the other katanas that the load screens keep showing me. Poison katana sounds pretty awesome.

You are living the dream. I have yet to find even one katana.

#119 Posted by SunBroZak (1030 posts) -

Still using the broadsword. I really want to switch, but I don't know what's best for a dual-wield build.

#120 Edited by Oni (2095 posts) -

@jz said:

Dual wielding ultra greatswords, it's very hard to see around my character.

Wow, how much Strength/Dex do you have? You need 150% of the weapon requirements to DW them, right?

As for me, I used the Bastard Sword for quite a while, upgraded to the Pursuer's Greatsword +2, and now using a Greatsword+6 that I might upgrade further, it does more damage than the Pursuer's atm and I don't have enough upgrade materials to bring it to +3 yet. Also got the Dragonrider Bow, which is really good for a Str character, even better if you also have some magic stats. Been flirting with dual wielding since yesterday but I don't know what weapons.

#121 Posted by Cloudleet (155 posts) -

I am currently rocking a +5 Bastard Sword, and it works fine. If I want something dead, it agrees. Really miss my +5 Black Knight Halberd from Dark Souls though.

#122 Edited by VeggiesBro (117 posts) -

II've got 3 weapons I switch between, a +10 great sword, a +10 large club, and a +5 pursuer sword. The great swords are pretty much interchangeable and are both really good, though the great sword is slightly better in terms of straight damage. The club has been really good as well, particularly against armoured enemies where strike is the optimal choice for damage. And so I switch between them depending on what i'm fighting. I also am rocking pyromancy, with a +10 flame.

#123 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@demoskinos: It's not "Large" Undead but it's a similarly generic name, the enemies at the bottom of Lost Bastille that aren't suicide bombers. There's only like 4 or 5 of them in the game to kill ten times a piece; 5% drop supposedly. To give you an idea my Fire Malformed Skull+10 has around 670 damage base, stat requirements are only 35 str/7 dex. There's no scaling but it still well outperforms my Magic Giant Club + 10. A backstab with the Malformed Skull does around 1700 damage (scales down a bit according to the opponent's armor); almost always enough to oneshot the opposing player in PvP.

#124 Posted by Humanity (8865 posts) -

I've been using a +5 Mace for quite some time now. It does great damage with my mainly STR build with the only downside that it has short reach and doesn't fair well against multiple enemies. I've found a large club that A scales with strength and has greater reach but it just seems a bit slow and bit large where it's not a viable weapon for indoor fighting.

Still looking for a good blunt weapon alternative.

#125 Posted by Demoskinos (14588 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Ohhhhhh those guys. Well then guess I'll pop a few luck coins and see if I can't get a drop.

Also question for anyone who would know. Anyone found this ember the black smith in Bastille keeps going on about? I'd like to unlock him.

#126 Edited by MrAbomination (28 posts) -

Been using Large Club for most of the game now. Feels kinda silly to use a tree branch at level 100, but it works.

#127 Edited by Lukeweizer (2614 posts) -

Used the Bastard Sword for a while, but I've fallen in love with the Greatsword. Been using for probably 20ish hours and got it to +10. Now I just need to mod it with Lightning.

#128 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@demoskinos: It's in the Iron Keep (requires beloved platforming), for me his dialogue bugged out so I was unable to get the merchant reward/trophy later on; might be a good idea to just spend 16000 souls right off the bat when you "unlock" him.

#129 Posted by EthanielRain (779 posts) -

@benspyda said:

@shirogane said:

You are living the dream. I have yet to find even one katana.

I have 2 katanas you can have, if you want to try and set up a summon add me on PSN.

#130 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2141 posts) -

Heide Knight Sword for the vast majority of the game now, it's kind of disappointing just how powerful it is.

#131 Edited by Zevvion (1830 posts) -

I wish the Twinblade did more damage because the moveset on that thing is awesome. I've been using the firesword for most of the game and it's been working out pretty well. I'm starting to regret going for a dex build though, seems like most of the weapons so far scale best with strength. Hopefully I come across a katana or something like that soon.

Exactly the same way for me. I really wanted to use the Twinblade, but it's damage output is very low. It is really good for crowd control though. And due to its rapid hits, I think a imbued one would do well PvP.

Anyway, do not get down. I also used the Fire Longsword for a long time until I got to Iron Keep. Farm the standard enemies there for a Blacksteel Katana. It scales A with dex by default and will go up to S through reinforcement. I now use a Blacksteel Katana +10 imbued with lightning with my dex/faith build. It does a lot of damage and is pretty fast. You will also be able to purchase the Uchigatana if you give the dull ember you find in Iron Keep to McDuff.

#132 Posted by amlabella (323 posts) -

@zevvion said:

@amlabella said:

Exactly the same way for me. I really wanted to use the Twinblade, but it's damage output is very low. It is really good for crowd control though. And due to its rapid hits, I think a imbued one would do well PvP.

Anyway, do not get down. I also used the Fire Longsword for a long time until I got to Iron Keep. Farm the standard enemies there for a Blacksteel Katana. It scales A with dex by default and will go up to S through reinforcement. I now use a Blacksteel Katana +10 imbued with lightning with my dex/faith build. It does a lot of damage and is pretty fast. You will also be able to purchase the Uchigatana if you give the dull ember you find in Iron Keep to McDuff.

Cool, thanks for the tip. Just got to Iron Keep last night before I took a break, so I'll check that area out for the ember and hopefully get a katana drop along the way.

#133 Posted by Bleshoo (118 posts) -

Got the Red Rust Sword last night, been using that.

#134 Edited by Fearbeard (824 posts) -

Royal Greatsword + 10

I had tons of Titanite chunks from the Bellkeeper covenant so I took it up to +10 as soon as I had enough large shards. Pretty powerful with a long thrust attack that is good for creating some openings.

#135 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1672 posts) -

After using the Heide Sword for most of the game I finally got enough strength to try out the Malformed Skull, which is literally a dragon's jawbone that you smash on people; it's pretty great.

I've also been rocking that Heide Sword for quite a while, worked well with the DEX/FTH build I was using at the start. I just found that Drangleic Sword/Shield (praise the Sun for a 100% physical block shield, finally!) from beating the Pursuer. I boosted my STR a little to be able to use that Shield, and I'm tempted to keep going to be able to use that sword (25 STR/20 DEX is a sizable requirement, and I sorta ended up inadvertently splitting between those two stats, so why not?).

I also have a slightly upgraded Mace on backup for enemies who are weak to Strike damage, has been very useful (screw you Sentinel Trio!!!!)

I'm finding myself having to switch up equipment/my build focus more in this game than other Souls games. I was hoping to go bow-focused like the other games, but the best thing I've found is that Short Bow, and it's not that powerful, even with my solid DEX, and has been pretty useless against bosses, so I ended up going back to melee/armor. Maybe I'll switch to a crossbow since I pumped up my STR, who knows.

#136 Edited by YI_Orange (1134 posts) -

Using a Murakumo +10. Can't see myself getting something better unless I want to go for the insane strength weapons. I miss my Quelaag's furysword.

#137 Edited by pyrodactyl (1893 posts) -

That giant axe for squishy enemies and that giant club for hard enemies and mobs. My cleric is a real hard hiting motherfucker.

#138 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

+10 Falchion, love the moveset

#139 Posted by Fierrze (171 posts) -

I'm using the Cleric starting Mace +4 and Caestus as a backup, which is surprisingly good with the A scaling. Caestus is also useful against lighter enemies, because you can just stunlock them and beat em' to a bloody pulp. I'm SL 60 already and still haven't found any other good strength scaling weapons, only ones which have both STR and DEX scaling.

#140 Posted by Ares42 (2590 posts) -

I used a Club for the longest time, then upgraded to Gyrm Axe when I got around to that area. Went ahead and upgraded a Malformed Skull too, but didn't realize the durability is shit. Close to the end of the game now and just recently switched out my axe with a Gyrm Great Hammer for a little damage boost (also, the 2-h strong attack seems insane). Been looking at my Malformed Shell though, it looks so promising.

#141 Posted by sub_o (843 posts) -

I went from Heide's sword to Fire straight sword to Warped sword, to Uchigatana.

Also, Dark Pyromancy and Dragonrider bow.

#142 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

On my second character I've been using the Sun Sword,which you get for being rank 2 in the Sunlight covenant; it has double B scaling in Strength and Dex so may well be the most powerful weapon at high stats with a good enchant spell.

#143 Posted by Zevvion (1830 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Hmmm... I love that covenant and am still in it, but I was a bit disappointed by the shield you get for +1 devotion. Don't have enough medals yet for +2 but I don't really level STR above the requirement for weapon usage, so I guess that sword will also not be for me. Here's hoping for an amazing +3 item, although by looking at the loading screens I'm guessing it will be that miracle that increases attack and defense. Sounds pretty great though.

#144 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@zevvion: +3 is the same as it was in Dark Souls (Sunlight Spear), just takes 5 more faith than it did before and presumably hits really hard.

#145 Edited by Zevvion (1830 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

@zevvion: +3 is the same as it was in Dark Souls (Sunlight Spear), just takes 5 more faith than it did before and presumably hits really hard.

Ah, okay, well that's great then. I love Sunlight Spear. Good thing that lady (forget her name) sells a ring that increases your faith by 5. I find it hard in this game to level a certain stat really high because I want to increase almost everything except attunement beyond a certain threshold and, oddly enough, stamina. I have stamina at 16 I believe? and am never short on it.

#146 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@zevvion: Yeah the stat system is vastly improved over the first game; it's not as simple as level 2 or 3 stats anymore. Stamina is one of the lowest priority stats for my characters as well; though I'm sure it can be useful.

#147 Edited by Zevvion (1830 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: I often blocked in the original Dark Souls except for a few bosses, but in DS2 I mostly roll. Especially on bosses. It's weird because they decreased the amount of invincibility frames, but I found it to be impossible to block on several bosses. Smelter Demon for instance. So yeah, don't need to take hits that drain gobs of stamina.

#148 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@zevvion: Maybe 20% of the bosses have unblockable or nearly unblockable attacks; which is perfectly fine just makes for more variety in the gameplay. You can block almost every boss in Dark Souls without too much trouble, even soloing Ornstein and Smough, Kalameet is really the only one that doesn't usually work out great blocking.

#149 Posted by jwkang (10 posts) -

I'm running around with a Halberd and a Short Sword. I think it's a great combination since the Halberd isn't that great in tight spots. The Short Sword's R2 stab is so useful! I love it!!!

#150 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

I switched to a +4 mace after watching the video on Monday and it's an absolute game changer.