Whelp...ordered I guess.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So just ordered this at Gamestop.com this time on PS3 (got the original on 360). Anyone else buying this this week? Pretty sure this will be my final purchase of 2013. Also its only $40 if you buy the disc version there is also the "free" version on PSN if you wanna just dip your toe in.

For anyone on the fence you ask what is different in this version here is the quick overview:

2 returning characters:

Ein

Leon

3 New Characters to DOA:

Jacky Bryant (VF)

Rachel (NG)

Momiji (NG)

Movie mode where you can watch character win/loss poses

Combo challenge mode like SF4

New victory animations

5 new stages, 2 from DOA 3: Lost World and Forest...the other three ripped from Ninja Gaiden 3: Desert, Aircraft carrier and the balcony from NG 2 at the beginning right outside Muramasa's shop

New music tunes from DOA 2 and 3 along with tunes for Mila/Rig and remix's for Rachel/Momiji

2 vs 2 online tag mode

New points system and U rank for online, along with winning streak bonus thing

New Hairstyles

100+ new costumes

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mpgeist

I'm playing for sure. I still play this with a bud about once a week. I'm hoping the free version will bring in a few more people. It got kinda hard to find matches toward the end there. let me know if you'd like fight sometime!

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

yup

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm still kind of confused here but in order to play the new stages and new characters I will have to shell out 40 dollars correct? These characters aren't add-ons to last years dead or alive 5? Also is there any major changes from 5 to this if they are different?

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Not enough done to warrant this 'ULTIMATE' update.... I bought it but only because I'm a die-hard DOA fan. A little disappointed they dont put more effort into this series.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I might get it. Depends what is done to the gameplay itself. I am not hankering for DOA as my fighting game fix is more than filled with Smash. If they made a lot of smart changes to the system/character balance I may have to check it out.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I think I'll hold off for a potential Black Friday sale, but color me intrigued. I liked the vanilla version well enough.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@sparky_buzzsaw: By vanilla you mean the original version or the free to play?

@gnatsol: I grabbed it too, super pissed they just didn't released this as discount dlc like they did with the last 2 street fighter updates but heck I spent money on Ultimate MvC3 and Super Street Fighter IV so...

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might get it if the price is right. I like DoA well enough, though I don't play it seriously.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well looks like @ajayraz done scared everyone offline because fuck me sideways I can't find a rank match at all which suuuucks because I'd rather play ranked matches and unlock costumes that way than grinding through the dumb offline modes a fucking bazillion times.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

@demoskinos: you can also unlock costumes by playing in lobby matches if that's what you want. i'm not sure how it works, but after i'm done playing a lobby match, i'll usually unlock a few costumes for the characters i played as

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, i've had the game pre-ordered for months, hoping my copy arives sometime today. I got the PS3 version. I'm not sure if your stats carry over from DOA5 but I did a lot better on the PS3 version when it went free for PS+ mostly due to having played a ton of the 360 version. (unpatched that game was a mess)

I'm hoping it being free to play on PSN means there's going to be a lot of new players because i'm a bit rusty now. ;p

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajayraz: Oh yeah? I had the impression it was only for Ranked that you got costumes for. Hmm... well might try that.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I found this in the options menu. Which I find endlessly funny. There is apparently a 4th unlockable setting as well called "OMG".

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was looking at this. What happens to your save file and DLC? Do they just transfer over?

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ubersmake: yes, it looks for a doa 5 save file when you first turn it on and asks if you want to transfer

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The OMG Breast Motion option is the insanity from DOA: Paradise. They just.....well yeah. Still I like me some Dead or Alive.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMG breast setting was in the Vita version as well. Have you guys had any luck finding ranked games? I've only found 1 in two days, I never had nearly as much trouble on reg DoA5, even towards the end there.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpgeist: The only way I can find them is doing fight requests. Even then the two I've fought were awful laggy messes. This makes NO sense at all because I was also playing lobby matches with a 5 connection and almost no noticeable lag at all. Hopefully this gets patched as I'd like to bonk fools in Ranked. I'm a impatient motherfucker and don't like waiting after I lose a match to jump back in.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@mpgeist: I've done about 10 ranked so far. Been a mixed bag in terms of quality. (360 Version)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By monkeyking1969

I guess as a last entry for the current systems, this game suffices. (But, I really just want to see what DoA 6 is like. I hope Tecmo has a hit soon so they can pump enough funds into a DOA game - to do it right - for next gen.) I will likely try to find this game when it goes on sale.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By musubi

So this happened cause I'm a sucker yes... I just spent $40 on that.

No Caption Provided

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BTW omg breast setting is unlocked by seeing 10 defeat scenes. I got it when I got that trophy.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys... I did it. I destroyed the great @ajayraz and his 60+ win streak. My god that match was intense. I nearly fell out of my chair at the end of it.

Loading Video...

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: LOL! I bet he was pissed afterwards, btw..nice boob flex at the end...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: Yeah, haha I have the OMG breast setting on because its fucking ridiculous. It might as well just be called water balloons in space mode.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Superkenon

Never got into DoA, because... well, yeah. It looks like there's a lot of bad-dumb going on here. But I'm a sucker for fighting games, so I keep feeling like I should give it a shot anyway.

I heard that the story mode was made into an optional DLC for this version. Is that true, or were they talking about the free-to-play edition?

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never got into DoA, because... well, yeah. It looks like there's a lot of bad-dumb going on here. But I'm a sucker for fighting games, so I keep feeling like I should give it a shot anyway.

I heard that the story mode was made into an optional DLC for this version. Is that true, or were they talking about the free-to-play edition?

Yes the story is optional DLC for the FTP. If you buy the disc it has story included.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superkenon: TBH Unless you absolutely know you are only going to play one character I'd just plunk down for the full version. By the time you add up what it would cost to buy everything peicemeal you'd be at like $80 by adding on to the F2P version.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Superkenon

@demoskinos: Definitely. I'm too much of a 'character grazer' in these games, so the idea of paying per character isn't a good fit for me. I like changing it up, and if I'm playing casually with friends I'm almost exclusively random. Full cast only!!

I was just curious about the story mode thing, since I read some false information about it being DLC-only for even the disc-version of Ultimate. Figured it was too dumb to be true, but thanks @mpgeistfor clearing it up!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superkenon: Oh yeah, they did like already mentioned. Its worth playing through at least one time even if its mostly nonsense and a lot of bad dialog and confusing plot twists. It does a better job than any of the previous games of actually putting some sort of crazy context to the world.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By TruthTellah

So this happened cause I'm a sucker yes... I just spent $40 on that.

No Caption Provided

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/1976/1h2f.gif

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: Yeah, I wouldn't exactly be expecting high art, haha. An introduction to the characters would be nice though, as someone who's not very familiar with the universe. And I suspect it serves that purpose well enough. Even if it's all dumb, it's still kinda nice to know the gist behind the character you're playing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Hey man, they were keeping the Bikini's hostage. Also, the Ryu Hayabusa Santa outfit is fucking the bomb.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TruthTellah

@demoskinos: The full package was the only way to get the bikinis and santa? hm. That's pretty underhanded! They know everyone will at least want those...

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i got it on ps3 and i'm waiting on a 20 dollar card to buy brad wong

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: No, but the second you start buying costumes they charge .99 cents to 1.99 for them there are 81 costumes buying costumes piecemeal would cost roughly $100 or so. $40 for the lot of them is actually a hell of a steal even though $40 lump sum IS a pretty big investment for DLC.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: No, but the second you start buying costumes they charge .99 cents to 1.99 for them there are 81 costumes buying costumes piecemeal would cost roughly $100 or so. $40 for the lot of them is actually a hell of a steal even though $40 lump sum IS a pretty big investment for DLC.

heh. Isn't that the way they get you? They make it ridiculously expensive to go piece by piece, and then they make a lump sum seem like a "good deal". When really they're still just charging you $40 for DLC with the potential to have you spend even more. It really plays with how people perceive value.

Anyway, hey, if you feel you got something good out of it, cool. Maybe you could post some pictures of your DLC costumes. ha. Any fun costumes for Mila? I think she may be my favorite character addition to DOA in a long time.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Oh, I actively know I'm a sucker a lot of the time. I just don't give a shit. Lol.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By damswedon

@demoskinos said:

heh. Isn't that the way they get you? They make it ridiculously expensive to go piece by piece, and then they make a lump sum seem like a "good deal". When really they're still just charging you $40 for DLC with the potential to have you spend even more. It really plays with how people perceive value.

Anyway, hey, if you feel you got something good out of it, cool. Maybe you could post some pictures of your DLC costumes. ha. Any fun costumes for Mila? I think she may be my favorite character addition to DOA in a long time.

Could be worse. I bought all the DLC for the 360 version, then my 360's disc drive died, and fuck buying a new 360 this late into the cycle. So I ended up buying that pack on the PS3. I think I've spent around £300 on this fucking game, and to make it worse I've forgotten how to defend so I'm constantly getting worked over.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@demoskinos said:

Could be worse. I bought all the DLC for the 360 version, then my 360's disc drive died, and fuck buying a new 360 this late into the cycle. So I ended up buying that pack on the PS3. I think I've spent around £300 on this fucking game, and to make it worse I've forgotten how to defend so I'm constantly getting worked over.

It could be worse I don't even want to talk about the awful awful amount of money I spent buying costumes in Rumble Roses XX. Dark times right there....

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@demoskinos said:

Wow.

Don't worry, it's gonna be okay...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/8ceb25e651bdff828bea812d8f775cb2/tumblr_mqcbepKB6I1r68m8ko1_400.gif