gamespots reviews pc vs xone

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

man the pc release was torn to shreds with 3/10, where as xones review got a more acceptable 7/10. Very little was said about controls and frame rate on pc the low score seems to be about the game itself.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

No, the port is completely rotten in every way.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This thing runs like complete shit on my machine, and I have zero issues with much, much better looking, more demanding games than this. Dips into the low 20's was unheard of for my machine until I played this. It's a great game, I don't know where the review is coming from; the issues are with the performance.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Yea they were in a tough spot. The original reviewer I'm sure was let go along with everyone else last month so it's not like they could do as they normally do and just update the existing review. And the new reviewer didn't seem to like the game at all. I dunno how I feel about it. I mean I get why they had to get a new reviewer for the PC version, but if they were going to score it that wildly differently I might have had the new review listed under their alternate takes section or something like that.

And also him basically not mentioning any of the technical issues at all in the review made me really wonder if maybe they chose the right person for the job. I see his issues with the racism and sexism but on the same token it's supposed to be a parody. Not finding the joke funny isn't reason enough to trash a game in my opinion. Tough call all around there.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@raven10 said:

Yea they were in a tough spot. The original reviewer I'm sure was let go along with everyone else last month so it's not like they could do as they normally do and just update the existing review. And the new reviewer didn't seem to like the game at all. I dunno how I feel about it. I mean I get why they had to get a new reviewer for the PC version, but if they were going to score it that wildly differently I might have had the new review listed under their alternate takes section or something like that.

And also him basically not mentioning any of the technical issues at all in the review made me really wonder if maybe they chose the right person for the job. I see his issues with the racism and sexism but on the same token it's supposed to be a parody. Not finding the joke funny isn't reason enough to trash a game in my opinion. Tough call all around there.

Yeah, the whole situation is weird. One would think the point of reviewing a port is to asses the quality of the port, not re-review the game. It's essentially a second opinion, which would be fine if that's how it was presented, but that isn't the case. If you were to just glance at the scores for the game you'd think the PC version was a broken mess compared to the Xbox One version, and while the port isn't perfect that isn't at all the reason for the discrepancy between the two versions.

Not to say the reviewer isn't entitled to his opinions, but there's little point in reviewing a port if you're not going to actually address it as a port at all.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

@ll_exile_ll: Yea that is kind of my opinion as well. It's just confusing right now. Most people are going to hear rumblings on forums and such about technical issues and assume that the score discrepancy is due to those technical issues. After all that is generally GS's policy. Each platform gets the same review outside of noting issues specific to that platform. You would be easily forgiven for not wanting to read what you would think would be the same review just slightly altered for a second time and thus never realize that it is an entirely different review.

I think in the end I would have had the reviewer review both versions of the game and downgrade the current Xbone review to an alternate take. There is no perfect solution here but I think that solution would cause the least confusion for the casual reader. In all honesty, though, I simply wouldn't have reviewed the PC version in this situation, similar to how Gamespot didn't review the PC version of Kane and Lynch after Jeff was fired. There just is no good way to go about doing that, so really the best solution is just to not write a review at all. In the end this review is doing more harm than good in helping consumers choose whether or not to buy the game which is supposed to be the point of a review.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By spyder335

@doctordonkey: I occasionaly have a framerate drop if i spin really fast and there are zombies everywhere, other than that ive found it runs pretty smooth

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

It's weird why they didn't mark it as an ''Other Take'' review like they have in the past, given that it focusses almost exclusively on the game rather than how it functions as a port.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I could kind of see it if it was about how problematic the port is, but the fact that the reviewer doesn't even go into that, seems incredibly strange. In the end I got it to run pretty okay, and I think it's a fun if a bit fleeting game. Most of the characters I found a little annoying honestly, but in the end it didn't matter all that much, since the core gameplay was pretty fun.

3/10 seems a bit harsh, but I suppose an opinion is an opinion.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3/10 is a bit harsh. the game crashed alott for me on new nvidea drivers just roll back to a old one and it was fixed.still having fun with the game. a 7 or 6 seems to be a fair score

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a pretty decent review. If the dude had no issues with the port, I don't see why he should necessarily mention it in any more specifics. Some people seem to have zero issues and some have lots of them. As a review for the game, this is a good piece. It's a bit weird that they ran another one, but eh, it's for all the DLC and stuff as well. Which I guess weren't previously reviewed.

Sweet jesus though, those comments on that review.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, judging by the first paragraph the guy who wrote it had a really bad sense of humor, and just didn't like the game or the series. And i believe both versions were reviewed by freelancers and not regular staff, i'm not 100% though

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There's also the thing where the game is out many months later on a platform that has a vast library of games.

Look at games like GTA IV, Titanfall, any game with a big marketing train behind it. They score incredibly high, but a month or two later, and the buzz is gone. The issues come out of the wood work.

I do tend to find reviews of ports weird though when not handled by the same original reviewer. Is the game score different because of technical reasons? Or because of gameplay reasons? Of those gameplay reasons, how many of those reasons are concessions made to the port? How many of those reasons exist in both versions of the game?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GaspoweR

@oursin_360: The original reviewer was formerly a Gamespot UK staff member AFAIK.

I have to agree that the reviewer not addressing the technical problems inherent to that version of the games is a bit baffling.