Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By maskedarcstrike

Seriously, I gotta take out human enemies shooting at me with rocket launchers from an elevated position and take out speed necromorphs at the same time? This game has had it's frustrating monster closets but seriously fuck that part. It's worse than that stupid gas chamber at the beginning of the chapter.

Edit: I'm not done with the game but I seriously don't see how people could rate this game over an 8 with a straight face. The first third of the game with the derelict ships wasn't that bad but like Brad said when it gets to the ice planets everything becomes a fucking chore. The game is more tedious and exhausting than it is fun to play by far.

Without the atmosphere and pacing the first two had the games flaws become more apparent with it's combat. I mean Dead Space 2 swarmed ya late in the game. But with 3 its just all the fucking time.

Okay remember in the first game when you went to the bridge of the Ishimura and got swarmed? They at least gave you some decent sized areas for combat when you were swarmed. Notice how they completely took out brutes for the third game cause they didn't have any fucking decent sized areas where you could actually fight to put em in. It's fucking amazing that the first game actually had more enemy variety with the necros than 3.

I can't remember if it was in one or two but I remember the fight against the regenerator where I had to freeze him in that chamber. There's fucking NOTHING creative like that from what I've seen in Dead Space 3 so far.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By big_jon

Part was frustrating on Hard, I got it the third time though.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@big_jon: Ya I got past it after maybe like the 5th or 6th try. It was just so damn cheap. I guess the alien brutes they put in the ruins at 17 replace the brutes from the old games.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Sarumarine

That part wasn't great. I needed the Ripper and tons of stasis while I hid behind that snow vehicle taking out the Twitcher Necromorphs. Took a few tries but it definitely felt like a sucker punch in terms of combat. It really seems like a scenario designed for Co-op, but if you don't have a buddy with you it just feels like the game is just dumping on you.

However, I am totally digging this game. And Dead Space 3 has brought light to a point I've been putting together for awhile. There are two different groups of people who come to this game. People who want horror, and people who really like the combat system of dismembering limbs. I don't really think Dead Space (the series) is scary so to speak (as 90 percent of it is jump scares, monsters out of vents and such), but it can be super tense and sets a good scene. Atmosphere if you will. There are a handful moments when it gets scary. But the reason I like these games are the cool weapons and abilities Issac has.

I could dismember necromorphs all day with Ripper saws, Contact Beams, and indsutrial flamethrowers. So I'm not finding the ice planet as big a downer as most people. It doesn't have as many showstopping moments or set pieces like the previous games (nothing in this game has topped the Tormentor from Dead Space 2), but it's still solid. That's just me of course.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@Sarumarine: I dunno, most of the game I just shoot the ground with electric sticky bolas and wait for them to come to me. I put on a safety guard that way I can stand in the middle of the bolas and take no damage. I found myself using kinesis way more in the first 2 cause I always running low on ammo but Ive pretty much not used it at all in in this one. Just never have the time to use it.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Teran

@maskedarcstrike said:

Seriously, I gotta take out human enemies shooting at me with rocket launchers from an elevated position and take out speed necromorphs at the same time? This game has had it's frustrating monster closets but seriously fuck that part. It's worse than that stupid gas chamber at the beginning of the chapter.

Edit: I'm not done with the game but I seriously don't see how people could rate this game over an 8 with a straight face.

Without the atmosphere and pacing the first two had the games flaws become more apparent with it's combat. I mean Dead Space 2 swarmed ya late in the game. But with 3 its just all the fucking time.

Okay remember in the first game when you went to the bridge of the Ishimura and got swarmed? They at least gave you some decent sized areas for combat when you were swarmed. Notice how they completely took out brutes for the third game cause they didn't have any fucking decent sized areas where you could actually fight to put em in. It's fucking amazing that the first game actually had more enemy variety with the necros than 3.

I can't remember if it was in one or two but I remember the fight against the regenerator where I had to freeze him in that chamber. There's fucking NOTHING creative like that from what I've seen in Dead Space 3 so far.

1. That firefight wasn't that hard if you have a little imagination. All I did was hide behind the fork lift vehicle thing at the door and focused on dealing with the necromorphs first... I had to kill those soldiers with a shotgun from long range which was painful but still very doable if you divide and conquer.

2. What is so frustrating about the monster closets in this game? I thought they were worse in the previous two.

3. I found DS3's combat to be more interesting and fun. The only thing that really annoyed me about it was the tendency to shoot through enemies in melee range without doing any damage to them but this is a problem in all three.

4. I thought the size of the areas was fine. Most were small or medium sized with a few large areas for swarms however the drawback to large areas is it puts the necromorphs at an extreme disadvantage because they have no effective counter to our ranged weapons.

5. The first game had redundancies in the enemy types so while there was more variety many of it was redundant so you had multiple enemies fulfilling the same role. In DS3 there are about the same number of roles for the enemies to perform.

6. I thought the tactical retreat sequences from the regenerators were fairly creative. We had to find a way to deal with an unkillable enemy while completing other objectives and killing the non-regenerating necromorphs. I don't see how freezing one using the environment is all that creative as it's been done numerous times in other games.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Mrsignerman44

I really have to disagree with you on the above 8.0 comment. While the game does have some pacing problems, the first and third acts are fantastic. The last few chapters especially have some of the best set pieces of the series for me. Also, there are more necromorph varieties in Dead Space 3 than in the previous titles so I don't know what you based that judgement on.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@mrsignerman44: There's fewer necromorph variants minus bosses in DS3 than DS2. They took out the infector variant type completely which was the bat looking thing that would fly around and turn dead corpses. They took out the thin man necromorph which was the skinny one that had a bunch of head crabs for a head. They replaced the brute type that had weak points in its armpits for a different version which is worse in mechanics (can anyone even confirm that you can even dismember his limbs? he just seems like a bullet sponge to me) and you only see him in literally like the last four or five chapters.

They added human enemies, a mid boss necromorph that you encounter three times throughout the game and two major boss fight necro encounters.

Don't even mention the skinny necros cause those are just a variant type of the child ones in DS2 to fit in context of the story.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Oh man, I hated all of those cliff descending/ascending segments. In fact the final few chapters of Dead Space 3 in particular were just pretty bad in general, with the way the game just throws everything at you at every turn for what feels like forever, similar to the ending chapters of Dead Space 2 which I wasn't a fan of, either. Then there were those parts where you gotta fly through space at the end, but it's so incredibly scripted about where the debris will float to that I basically had to retry that like 4 times to nail it down exactly.

The end boss was OK, though, if only for its absurdity.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@yummylee said:

Oh man, I hated all of those cliff descending/ascending segments. In fact the final few chapters of Dead Space 3 in particular were just pretty bad in general, with the way the game just throws everything at you at every turn for what feels like forever, similar to the ending chapters of Dead Space 2 which I wasn't a fan of, either. Then there were those parts where you gotta fly through space at the end, but it's so incredibly scripted about where the debris will float to that I basically had to retry that like 4 times to nail it down exactly.

The end boss was OK, though, if only for its absurdity.

I thought the very first cliff descending sequence was pretty good in the prologue, but it got way too overused midway through the game. Near the end of the game it just became disconnecting and something I just wanted to get out of the way. I thought the ascending sequences were much worse than descending.

Now while the "Superman" sequences looked pretty they never really offered much other than just moving the left analogue stick around. It was difficult to tell what you were shooting at and often times the game will just auto lock onto the nearest target that's in your path. Dead Space 2 did a few of the same sequences but they were much briefer and better designed.

edit: I get what you are saying about the end of DS 2 and I agree with you. They threw all that crap and a regenerative necro at you. At least it was only within the last half hour of the game though. There were a few "swarm points" though like the school stage but they seem much less.

Hammerjelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending of DS3 was probably the low point of the game. Once you start the machine, you have to trek through the same area 3 times over. Really? It was just tedious by the third time. HOWEVER, the ending of DS2 was worse. The regenerating necro harassing you for the last two whole chapters was just offensive. It almost ruined that game for me. I was not impressed that they returned in 3, but I was happy it was only for short contained sections.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edit: I'm not done with the game but I seriously don't see how people could rate this game over an 8 with a straight face. The first third of the game with the derelict ships wasn't that bad but like Brad said when it gets to the ice planets everything becomes a fucking chore. The game is more tedious and exhausting than it is fun to play by far.

I'm telling you, with a straight face, that this game deserves an 8. Want to play a shit games where you fight ACTUAL shit human soldiers? Play Aliens, it'll make you enjoy Dead Space 3 a shit-ton more.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Oh man, I hated all of those cliff descending/ascending segments. In fact the final few chapters of Dead Space 3 in particular were just pretty bad in general, with the way the game just throws everything at you at every turn for what feels like forever...

Those segments were really short... I do agree that the climbing got old, but I really enjoyed the last two which were fast roping down the shaft after the elevator. I really liked the experience once the threat was necromorphs eating me rather than a slowly swinging elevator .

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teran said:

@yummylee said:

Oh man, I hated all of those cliff descending/ascending segments. In fact the final few chapters of Dead Space 3 in particular were just pretty bad in general, with the way the game just throws everything at you at every turn for what feels like forever...

Those segments were really short... I do agree that the climbing got old, but I really enjoyed the last two which were fast roping down the shaft after the elevator. I really liked the experience once the threat was necromorphs eating me rather than a slowly swinging elevator .

Yeah, the climbing segments were short (but then they also had you constantly going through them), but I was referring to the part after that with ''the machine''. Like when you have to align those points to power it up or something while the game keeps spawning enemies around you... I mean FFS, I always hate it when games do that; they give you a main goal but that's never enough, so instead they keep spawning a never ending stream of lesser enemies. It's just plain lazy game design. And it was a puzzle; at least if it's like a boss battle it makes some semblance of sense since they're there to make sure you have enough ammo. It was just infuriating and was one of many complaints that I levied against RE6. Fortunately since I had so many medpacks I was able to afford to bull rush my way through it all until I reached the next objective or flying pad or what have you.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By handlas

@yummylee said:

@teran said:

@yummylee said:

Yeah, the climbing segments were short (but then they also had you constantly going through them), but I was referring to the part after that with ''the machine''. Like when you have to align those points to power it up or something while the game keeps spawning enemies around you... I mean FFS, I always hate it when games do that; they give you a main goal but that's never enough, so instead they keep spawning a never ending stream of lesser enemies. It's just plain lazy game design. And it was a puzzle; at least if it's like a boss battle it makes some semblance of sense since they're there to make sure you have enough ammo. It was just infuriating and was one of many complaints that I levied against RE6. Fortunately since I had so many medpacks I was able to afford to bull rush my way through it all until I reached the next objective or flying pad or what have you.

Those did lose a lot of steam. I get they were having to scale the mountain at the end but there should of been a more creative way to go about it rather than 5 or so of those rope climbing sequences. The best one was in the prologue with the soldier guy so it never topped that. In fact, I think that part was the most exciting part of the game, haha. The spaceship engine spiraling at you as you fall down the mountain looked amazing.

On the very last climbing sequence it bugged out on me too. My COOP partner was hopping up to the ledge when you get to the top and he disappeared into the air. 10 seconds later he died :)....maybe he fell.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yummylee

@handlas: Yeah, I actually really liked the prologue, especially with how freaked out your character was and the way he would scream whenever he'd spot one of the zombies.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: I have only played co-op so my experience might be different than yours, but I didn't get the feeling the spawns were infinite during those puzzles. They seem scripted to specific events like on the spinning pillar one matching the first and third pillar in the correct alignment seemed to spawn enemies and tentacles but the second one didn't seem to cause any to spawn. At least they gave you some conveniently placed TK enhancing pads so you didn't have to waste ammo on the enemies.

I think the boss battles in DS3 are brilliant compared to RE6... RE6 was incredibly frustrating because it was impossible to tell the difference between a boss fight boss fight, and a survive for X seconds or until X condition is met boss fight.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By handlas

@teran said:

@handlas: I have only played co-op so my experience might be different than yours, but I didn't get the feeling the spawns were infinite during those puzzles. They seem scripted to specific events like on the spinning pillar one matching the first and third pillar in the correct alignment seemed to spawn enemies and tentacles but the second one didn't seem to cause any to spawn. At least they gave you some conveniently placed TK enhancing pads so you didn't have to waste ammo on the enemies.

I think the boss battles in DS3 are brilliant compared to RE6... RE6 was incredibly frustrating because it was impossible to tell the difference between a boss fight boss fight, and a survive for X seconds or until X condition is met boss fight.

Think you were replying to YummyLee but, ya, I don't think there are infinite spawning enemies at any point in the game. There are a couple of places that seem like they go on forever tho. I feel Dead Space 2 was worse at that though. However, I played DS3 COOP so having a helping hand might of been the difference (currently playing on Classic mode tho).

I'm not sure what boss battles you are referring to in DS3. I felt like there weren't really any bosses in the game besides the final one of course. I'm one of the few that doesn't seem to be poopooing over the game though... I really like Dead Space 3 which is a surprise because I had zero entrance leading up to it based on how they were changing it with COOP and the feeling of it being very much more action oriented which it's really not all the time. I still feel it has a lot more in common with DS1 than 2.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Teran

@handlas: Oops, sorry about that. I was replying to YummyLee.

As for the boss fights, there was only one really obvious boss fight, but I also count the regenerators that popped up at various as bosses because they are unkillable but must be dealt with somehow while retreating sometimes through hectic situations like a burning hangar.

I think the developers got away (mostly) from the concept of boss fights and went with an encounter based mentality which put players up against a difficult set of circumstances rather than a powerful enemy most of the time. Other possible boss fights may include the segment near the end of the body temperature segment where you have a long distance to go while being swarmed by a lot of enemies, the firefight just before you go underground near the end of the game where you have a lot of missile launcher soldiers and the twitchy necromorphs attacking you at the same time, and (at least for co-op) the segment where one player is solving the puzzle to unlock the tram while the other player has to fight off a horde of necromorphs to cover the puzzle solving player.

Most of those encounters become trivial in newgame+ because you know they are coming and have better equipment but I thought they were relatively well designed the first time I encountered them... especially when comparing to RE6 boss fights.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teran said:

@handlas: Oops, sorry about that. I was replying to YummyLee.

As for the boss fights, there was only one really obvious boss fight, but I also count the regenerators that popped up at various as bosses because they are unkillable but must be dealt with somehow while retreating sometimes through hectic situations like a burning hangar.

I think the developers got away (mostly) from the concept of boss fights and went with an encounter based mentality which put players up against a difficult set of circumstances rather than a powerful enemy most of the time. Other possible boss fights may include the segment near the end of the body temperature segment where you have a long distance to go while being swarmed by a lot of enemies, the firefight just before you go underground near the end of the game where you have a lot of missile launcher soldiers and the twitchy necromorphs attacking you at the same time, and (at least for co-op) the segment where one player is solving the puzzle to unlock the tram while the other player has to fight off a horde of necromorphs to cover the puzzle solving player.

Most of those encounters become trivial in newgame+ because you know they are coming and have better equipment but I thought they were relatively well designed the first time I encountered them... especially when comparing to RE6 boss fights.

Well there were three total, the one with the harpoon guns that you had to lure into that you fought twice before hand. The one from the E3 demo last year after the drill segment, and the last boss.

I only remember the regenerator appearing twice in the campaign (at least in SP) once when the shuttle is in the process of test firing its engines and one other time before that when Isaac tells Ellie "screw that I'm just gonna run" basically.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maskedarcstrike: Ahh yeah, forgot about the harpoon boss.

It's kind of hard to count the regenerators. There was the one before the tram where you get the scrap bot, then the one(s) during the shuttle launching (which may have been the same one from the tram but was a separate encounter). On the planet I can't remember which mission it was and whether or not that mission was part of the story or side content, but three regenerators get released and come after you at the same time. It's only for a brief period of time though but it can be pretty intense if you're not moving quickly.