• 117 results
#1 Edited by Bocam (3785 posts) -

I got the game early and have been wanting to re-watch the dual ERs so I thought I'd just make some notes about what was changed and what has been added. I'm going to do this on an episode basis.

General Observations

• The install process is really weird.
  • There's always a weird hitch when saving. The progress bar stops at 50%, waits a few seconds, and finishes.
  • THE FRAME RATE IS SHIT
  • The lip syncing seems much worse
  • The game seems to hiccup when going into new areas
  • The enemies seem weaker and the aiming is better.
  • The main menu music sounds terrible

Pre Title Movie

• The twins voice actor seems different
  • The song has been rerecorded and is of a higher quality
  • Laura's wound looks more like a giant vagina then an actual cut
  • The trees still look like shit

Prologue

• Added a conversation between an old man (It's York) and his granddaughter. The granddaughter wants to be told another story about the FBI.
  • You can now hear another person on the phone when York's telling his Tom & Jerry story
  • The "High Definition Graphics" seem to be referring to the items.

Episode 1 Chapter 1 - 3

• There a scene with the old man and the girl where his favorite TV breaks.
  • There's now a white void that kills you if you run too fast between rooms
  • Thomas's voice sounds different.
  • The audio levels are fixed in the scene with Polly
  • Driving still sucks and makes the frame rate worse. The stuttering is getting worse
#2 Posted by Yummylee (22058 posts) -

Oh man, that's really disappointing to hear about the framerate. Though I'm sure it wasn't the smoothest, I recall that its original 360 version was certainly manageable. Enough that I can't remember much in the way of any framerate issues. That and the crappier lip syncing and weird save game hitches, despite the bonus content, is definitely portraying this to be the inferior version after all...

#3 Edited by shivermetimbers (780 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Oh man, that's really disappointing to hear about the framerate. Though I'm sure it wasn't the smoothest, I recall that its original 360 version was certainly manageable.

The framerate could definitely chug during the driving sequences on the 360, apart from that though, it was /mostly/ manageable.

#4 Posted by JeanLuc (3591 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Oh man, that's really disappointing to hear about the framerate. Though I'm sure it wasn't the smoothest, I recall that its original 360 version was certainly manageable. Enough that I can't remember much in the way of any framerate issues. That and the crappier lip syncing and weird save game hitches, despite the bonus content, is definitely portraying this to be the inferior version after all...

Call me a weirdo, but the idea of this version being somehow worse sounds almost better in a weird way.

#5 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6999 posts) -

How is the install process weird?

#6 Edited by Bocam (3785 posts) -

@yummylee: @shivermetimbers: I should clarify what I mean. While the frame rate is worse, what makes it unbearably tedious to play is how the game seems to stutter randomly. But hey, at least it has a better map. I'm amazed it's not coming out at $20.

@metalgearsunny: It has two install progress bars.

#7 Posted by Yummylee (22058 posts) -
@jeanluc said:

@yummylee said:

Call me a weirdo, but the idea of this version being somehow worse sounds almost better in a weird way.

Gonna hafta explain that one to me... weirdo. ^__________________________________________________________________________________________________________^

#8 Posted by Yummylee (22058 posts) -

@bocam said:

@yummylee: @shivermetimbers: I should clarify what I mean. While the frame rate is worse, what makes it unbearably tedious to play is how the game seems to stutter randomly. But hey, at least it has a better map. I'm amazed it's not coming out at $20.

Maaaan, this fucking sucks to hear right now. I bought this for like £25, which is ridiculously overpriced for a 3 year old rerelease, but... I had hope that this would be the ultimate version -- naturally still the same Deadly Premonition we all know and love/hate, but a little less rough around the edges. Some smoothed out technicalities with some additional content to boot ect. sounded fine by me, and I'm such a fan of the original anyway that I was happy to support anything to do with this game.

Bugger.

#9 Edited by shivermetimbers (780 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@jeanluc said:

@yummylee said:

Gonna hafta explain that one to me... weirdo. ^__________________________________________________________________________________________________________^

Considering that the game's charm was due to the fact that it was awful and outdated, and had fun with itself regardless, I could see his point. However, the main game was serviceable in it's awfulness, not frustrating....

@bocam said:

Yeah, it's a shame. I'm going to have to rebuy the 360 version.

#10 Posted by JeanLuc (3591 posts) -

@yummylee: I don't know, it just seems... fitting, that a game as weird and busted as Deadly Premonition would get a special edition with new content, only to have it be worse in someways.

#11 Edited by Yummylee (22058 posts) -

@shivermetimbers said:

@yummylee said:
@jeanluc said:

@yummylee said:

Considering that the game's charm was due to the fact that it was awful and outdated, and had fun with itself regardless, I could see his point. However, the main gave was serviceable in it's awfulness, not frustrating....

Yeah, Deadly Premonition is a bit of a wreck, but as soon as you got that infinite ammo submachine gun, it was... playable. The gameplay was easy to put up with, for me at least, to savour all of the quirky nonsense surrounding it. Plus, this is 3 years on from the original. This should be the original but better in just about every conceivable way! That it's potentially even worse is heartbreaking.

#12 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

@bocam said:

Pre Title Movie

BECAUSE IT IS A VAGINA!

#13 Posted by rkofan87 (148 posts) -

aw crap oh well

#14 Posted by Humanity (9599 posts) -

It's nice to see the lengths people will go to in order to celebrate a bad game for it's quirkiness.

#15 Edited by Winternet (8025 posts) -

@bocam said:

Prologue

• Added a conversation between an old man (It's York) and his granddaughter. The granddaughter wants to be told another story about the FBI.

What?! They made a "Tell me another story about the Sheppard" thingy? Oh that's so bad.

#16 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11301 posts) -

These things are making me sad.

And they're making wish they weren't charging $40 for this (at least that's what I saw on Amazon), which is twice as much as the original cost.

#17 Posted by Soap (3610 posts) -
#18 Posted by Quarters (1749 posts) -

I'll be keeping an eye on this. I've wanted to play DP ever since watching the ERs, but I wanted to wait for this version. Honestly, I'd be willing to sit through some rougher technical issues if it has the definitive story content.

#19 Posted by mosespippy (4285 posts) -

These things are making me sad.

And they're making wish they weren't charging $40 for this (at least that's what I saw on Amazon), which is twice as much as the original cost.

Which is still only half of what it cost in Japan originally.

#20 Edited by Yummylee (22058 posts) -
@humanity said:

It's nice to see the lengths people will go to in order to celebrate such a wonderfully unique and bizarrely engaging experience like Deadly Premonition.

I agree, Deadly Premonition has quite the devoted fanbase!

#21 Edited by Humanity (9599 posts) -
#22 Posted by Bocam (3785 posts) -

Episode 1 Chapter 1 - 3

• There a scene with the old man and the girl where his favorite TV breaks.
  • There's now a white void that kills you if you run too fast between rooms
  • Thomas's voice sounds different.
  • Driving still sucks and makes the frame rate worse. The stuttering is getting worse
#23 Posted by Soap (3610 posts) -

@bocam said:

If that is the scene that I'm thinking of that was my favourite part of this game!

#24 Posted by Yummylee (22058 posts) -
@bocam said:

=/

My copy's actually arrived today as well.. Though I'm not so eager to jump in as I was just a couple of days ago. Plus I've got Dark Arisen here too, so there's that.

#25 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11301 posts) -

@soap said:

@bocam said:

If that is the scene that I'm thinking of that was my favourite part of this game!

The more I read stuff like this the more I feel like I don't want to play this because they're changing things I loved.

And also the frame rate stuff.

@bocam You should update the main post, rather than just posting updates in the comments. Makes it easier to get it all at once. Just a suggestion!

#26 Posted by probablytuna (3731 posts) -

Man, hearing about the framerate issues bums me out.

#27 Edited by Bocam (3785 posts) -

@bocam You should update the main post, rather than just posting updates in the comments. Makes it easier to get it all at once. Just a suggestion!

A good suggestion.

I got killed by that white void three times and it's really sapping my motivation for playing it.

#28 Posted by Rihanna (85 posts) -

I may be wrong, but the leaderboards have also been removed.

Cutting them does not make the game better.

#29 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

What is the white void? Is the area not loading or is it something intentional?

#30 Posted by TheHT (11522 posts) -

Awww, booo. Maybe I'll just import Red Seed Whatever instead. Or maybe I just won't.

#31 Edited by Live2bRighteous (317 posts) -

Damn... this "directors cut" version is the only version I can get, seeing I no longer own an Xbox 360. I've always wanted to get into this game, so I thought waiting for the directors cut would be worth it.

Either way though, I think I'll be picking it up... I've been missing out on this for waaaaay to long.

#32 Posted by sub_o (906 posts) -

But but but, it's a bad game at the first place. The good part is the quirky weird writing, story, atmosphere, and characters.

#33 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6999 posts) -

There's now a white void that kills you if you run too fast between rooms

What do you mean by this?

@sub_o said:

But but but, it's a bad game at the first place. The good part is the quirky weird writing, story, atmosphere, and characters.

I think most people were hoping that the game's biggest problems would be addressed in this version. Seems like it isn't...

#34 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1844 posts) -

So could i still pick up the original version and be fine?

#35 Posted by Bocam (3785 posts) -

@superwristbands: @metalgearsunny: The game doesn't load the full level and you fall into a white void that kills you

Here's the save hitch I was talking about. This happens every time.

#36 Edited by Basm321 (251 posts) -

The messed up audio levels when talking to Polly was one of the BEST parts. WHY WOULD THEY "FIX" THAT!!!!!!!!

#37 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5726 posts) -

@jeanluc: Damn right!

Amusing that people are complaining about graphical issues in a supremely ugly game as though that were somehow the appeal.

#38 Posted by BBAlpert (1526 posts) -

Hearing all this is extremely disappointing. On the other hand, those extra suits York was wearing in the trailer were all fly as hell.

#39 Posted by Bocam (3785 posts) -

@bbalpert said:

Hearing all this is extremely disappointing. On the other hand, those extra suits York was wearing in the trailer were all fly as hell.

All DLC

#40 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@bocam: I've seen similar in other games. It's nothing I'd say is really a problem. It just takes a little longer for the save process to complete. I've also seen at least one other PS3 game (can't remember which it was) that had the dual progress bars.

#41 Posted by Quarters (1749 posts) -

@bocam: I've seen that save thing in PS3 games before. It's just how it saves. Nothing to worry about.

#42 Edited by charlie_victor_bravo (1047 posts) -

@bocam said:

I am writing college essay about video games, it would really help if you would upload a high resolution image of this.

#43 Edited by Bocam (3785 posts) -
#44 Edited by cloudymusic (1161 posts) -

Wow, you weren't kidding about that framerate. I'm getting a headache just watching it.

#45 Edited by Yummylee (22058 posts) -

Yup, the framerate is just as bad as Bocam said it'd be. Totally just pulling a number outta my ass, but I'd guess it's running at like 20fps at best from what I've played thus far... For as hilariously antiquated and cheap the original Deadly Premonition was, a bad or otherwise inconsistent framerate never struck me as a problem. This on the other hand is bordering on unbearable. And it's not like the game looks all that much better either, so it's baffling as to how a game that looks like this, three years on from its original release, can't at least keep a steady 30fps.

The tank controls are gone in favour of something a little more modern, though, so I'm sure that's a plus for a lot of people at least.

#46 Posted by Yummylee (22058 posts) -

Oh maaaan, what the fuck?! You weren't kidding about the driving, it actually makes the framerate even worse and the game keeps hitching a bit here and there. Plus the engine is so fucking loud! I can't even hear the cool driving theme anymore, and I've also noticed a lot of the dialogue sounds very echo-y.This is so bloody depressing right now. I genuinely enjoyed the original DP and wasn't fazed too much by the admittedly stale gameplay, so you know this port's a fucking mess when even I'm having trouble with it.

#47 Edited by Milkman (17029 posts) -

The fact that this version is actually worse than the original just seems like the best way this could have possibly gone.

#48 Edited by Bistromath (632 posts) -

Should release it on the PC, then you'd get all the FPS.

All of it.

#49 Edited by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -

I started rewatching the Endurance Run a while back, then stopped a few episodes in when I decided I would wait to play the Director's Cut.

Now, I guess I'll just go back to the ER. This doesn't sound like a worthwhile upgrade.

#50 Edited by WalkerD (462 posts) -

@johndudebro: You can always play the original version of the game.