• 80 results
Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3818 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Your knee-jerk reaction to Deep Down being a free to play game? (237 votes)

Very good news! I'd much rather have this instead of a retail version. 2%
Could go either way, but I think it will be a good thing 30%
Could go either way, but I don't think that sounds good 45%
This will ruin the game. 23%

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/381250930491928576

I must admit, I didn't see that announcement coming. Much like Capcom is working with Microsoft to develop Dead Rising 3 as an Xbox One exclusive, they're doing the same thing with Sony and Deep Down on the PS4.

This should be interesting.

#51 Edited by Yummylee (22054 posts) -

It's... disappointing. But the gameplay still intrigues me so I'm not giving up on it just yet.

#52 Posted by MiniPato (2743 posts) -

Hype destroyed. Now concerned. I was hoping this could have been some kind of next gen Monster Hunter, but now I'm afraid we'll have to pay for revivals if you die in a dungeon or some shit. Or pay for more character types other than a spearman. Or +50% magic find for the next 30 minutes. Chances are they'll purposefully hobble the core game experience to make you pay. Just let me pay 60 dollars and give me the whole game.

Even if it isn't crucial to the game, the fact that it will probably keep reminding you that you can buy shit is annoying. I hated that shit when it was shoehorned into Dead Space 3.

#53 Edited by Noblenerf (329 posts) -

It will ruin the game. There is no way Deep Down will be a well-designed game since all free-to-play games are compromised from a game design standpoint for the sake of profit. They are designed for whales, rather than players.

@humanity said:

Free to Play means a ton of grinding so no thanks. I like WarFrame but that game would be a lot better if it wasn't wrapped up in free-to-play shenanigans where arbitrary unlockables like scarves are being introduced before important gameplay hotfixes.

A game like Warframe would never have succeeded had it been a buy-to-play product. It would be too strange and multiplayer-centric to garner a sustainable community, probably ending up with a community the size of Shattered Horizon or The Showdown Effect.

But I agree with you about the grinding.

#54 Posted by jakob187 (21691 posts) -

@humanity: Warframe may have some grinding to it, but it's not nearly as bad as people want to make it out to be. Research does wonders, and it's one of the things I'm loving about the game. They don't give out the drop rates and everything, so it's an entire community actually doing research to learn about the game. Are the scarves a little ridiculous? Sure. Are there hotfixes that need to be done? Yeah. However, the game is in open beta, and each thing they add in terms of content is a way to try and make it far more fully featured by the time the game "officially launches."

Let's be real, though: with the nature of most online PC games at this point, everything is a beta. Why? Because it allows developers to experiment with stuff far more in order to fine tune their game to what the audience wants. The only downside is that...along the lines, there are some developers that lose sight of what their game was in their original vision because they are catering too much to a bunch of people throwing money at them.

With that said, I enjoy Warframe, but I also see your side and understand it. To each their own.

Now, with the Deep Down comments:

1. WHAT IS THIS GAME?! A PS4 exclusive fantasy RPG that is free-to-play set in New York 2094?! If that's not Japanese enough for you, I don't know what the fuck is. I cannot wait to see how it turns out.

2. People bitch too much about free-to-play.

#55 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

totally great! I would love to pay $500-$2000 for the whole game. Instead of unlocking gear and art through time and skill just let me use my wallet. It would be cool if you could re-balance the game to make it an unbearable grind for bottom feeders who only want to pay $50-$60 for the game. Also crap up the UI with "Buy Now!" and "Coin Store" glowy pulsing buttons.

Just fantastic news. Couldn't be happier.

#56 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

My reaction. I was hoping for a Dragon's Dogma successor but I got this.

#57 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Could be terrible could be good.
My time machine isn't working so I have no idea how this turns out

#58 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@nmc2008 said:

Deep Down was never intended or insinuated to be related to Dragon's Dogma.

#59 Posted by mrfluke (5270 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@nmc2008 said:

Deep Down was never intended or insinuated to be related to Dragon's Dogma.

in the very beginning when deep down was still a working title, people did took it to mean this was the next dragons dogma due to the abbreviation that you got from deep down "DD" and the whole aesthetic that this game showed off from the cg trailer. (even the Gb staff at the time as well did)

but yea, they got a proper dragons dogma sequel in the works.

#60 Edited by CaLe (4018 posts) -

Free to play games usually don't have an ending and I don't play games that don't have an ending. I thought the game looked cool, so I'm a little disappointed at the news.

#61 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

f2p games have been getting better in the past. Mech Warrior Online and PSO2 have both been good games that don't feel like anything is missing unlike pretty much every other f2p game I've played.

That said this is Capcom we are talking about and I'm still not certain they understand DLC so seeing them try to make a f2p game makes me think "This'll ruin the game!"

#62 Posted by RecSpec (3852 posts) -

This is the future.

#63 Edited by fisk0 (4285 posts) -

I'm not sure, there have been some decent free to play games, and maybe Deep Down could become what Wizardry Online should've been, though I did expect it to actually be a sequel to Dragon's Dogma, as was implied a few months ago (and I don't think that style of open world RPG would work at all as an free to play game). Not sure if I know of any Japanese free to play games that have gotten it right (haven't they all had really weird money grabbing schemes?), though, so that's a cause for worry.

#64 Posted by FLStyle (4768 posts) -

I didn't have an opinion of this game beforehand, but now I'll at least try it knowing I won't be paying any money for it.

#65 Posted by brownsfantb (399 posts) -

Too early to tell about how it'll turn out but at least now I know I'll give it a shot. The game didn't seem worth $60 to me from what's been shown, but if it's free I'll give it a shot.

#66 Posted by skooks (85 posts) -

My initial reaction? Fuck that. But I haven't played it so I'll try to reserve judgement. I am sceptical though, always am with free-to-play.

#67 Posted by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -

I wasn't particularly interested before, about the same now.

#68 Posted by WickedSickDanceAttack (36 posts) -

Capcom? Free to Play?

Fuuuuuuuuck that.......

#69 Posted by Lysergica33 (528 posts) -

I personally think the game is looking pretty cool and the fact that I don't HAVE to pay money for it only entices me more. If the game sucks, I won't have lost any money, if the game is great, I'll probably invest a bit of money into it. I know and understand the concerns with balancing and grinding in f2p games but eh, if the mechanics are good and the dungeon crawling is enjoyable I will let such things slide.
But that's just me, I don't tend to devote myself to any single game for that long. I have a busy life and games are becoming a medium where I try and play a game through to completion, then move on. Balance issues don't tend to irk me that much because I'm looking more for an overall artistic picture in my gameplay sessions than to come to understand the minutae of a single experience. So yeah, if the game is FUN, I'm in.

#70 Posted by Morningstar (2189 posts) -

My initial reaction was "fuck no!" Hope I'm proven wrong though. Some great ideas there. Also, it's Capcom, I've lost most of my faith in them.

#71 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2259 posts) -

It makes me question about the quality of the game and the reason why it's going free to play. I hope whatever content needs to be payed for in game is either cosmetic or side story content and nothing that forces me to either grind or pay for the easy way out.

#72 Posted by MiniPato (2743 posts) -

I can think of one positive. Sony said that free-to-play online games don't require a PS+ subscription to play online right? So there's that.

#73 Posted by mrcraggle (1954 posts) -

Most people's inherent reaction to F2P is that it's going to be of lower quality but DOTA, Warframe and many others are beginning to change this trend but it also comes down to what their business model is. Considering this is Capcom after all and they were locking out content already on the disc of many of their games this generation, I'll remain on the side of skeptical. The trailers that have come out really don't give a sense of what the game is like either.

#75 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2025 posts) -
#76 Posted by Slag (4615 posts) -

My reaction is that I'm no longer interested.

I can be won back, but I'm very skeptical. I generally don't like what F2P does to gameplay.

#77 Posted by Xeiphyer (5606 posts) -

Too early to know for sure. League of Legends is my favourite game and that's f2p, so there's definitely room for those games to not be terrible.

It all depends on what their price model is like and what they're monetizing.

#78 Edited by StarvingGamer (8375 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac said:

I realize that we don't have anywhere near enough information to make up our minds about this right now, but the poll is designed to get an idea of people's opinions based on what little we know.

Anyone forming an opinion now is not based on what any of us know, but what their preconceptions about F2P are telling them. You might as well tell me you're serving "food" at dinner and ask me to form an opinion on whether or not I will like it. If I walked into a voting booth with as little information on the candidates as I have now on Deep Down's F2P nature, then my vote there would be "eh" as well. Of course we'd have to do away with the party system first because that alone would tell me infinitely more than I know about this game.

Bad poll is bad.

#79 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3818 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac said:

I realize that we don't have anywhere near enough information to make up our minds about this right now, but the poll is designed to get an idea of people's opinions based on what little we know.

Anyone forming an opinion now is not based on what any of us know, but what their preconceptions about F2P are telling them. You might as well tell me you're serving "food" at dinner and ask me to form an opinion on whether or not I will like it. If I walked into a voting booth with as little information on the candidates as I have now on Deep Down's F2P nature, then my vote there would be "eh" as well. Of course we'd have to do away with the party system first because that alone would tell me infinitely more than I know about this game.

Bad poll is bad.

Yes, and their preconceptions of Capcom, and how they might handle a free to play game. That is what this thread is about. An initial reaction.

If you don't feel that this thread should be on Giant Bomb, flag it, or PM a moderator. If they agree with you, it will be closed. If they do not agree, then it will remain open. Either way, if you dislike the thread itself, you're welcome to not post in the thread.

You are right about the election analogy, though. It is a bit flawed, and was more directed towards people who insist that every poll include "I don't know / I'm not sure / I don't care" type options, which happens every time I make a poll without allowing people to give the opinion that they have no opinion.

#80 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3066 posts) -

I didn't even know it was free to play. I don't give a shit either way.

#81 Posted by Snail (8617 posts) -

"Fuck".

#82 Edited by xyzygy (10030 posts) -

Mostly every free to play game I've played burns out fast. Kind of disappointed in this because I really hope it doesn't turn out like that, and I really hope it doesn't turn into a DLC frenzy. Capcom does love their DLC frenzies.

#83 Posted by Humanity (9589 posts) -

@noblenerf: I actually don't like that whole "it would never have existed otherwise" argument. Yes I agree, Warframe would never see the light of day in it's current form if it wasn't Free to Play, but thats because it's a game developed around that model. Everything in Warframe is designed with Free to Play in mind. So yah, it wouldn't have existed as it is now, but maybe something different would have.

@jakob187 said:

@humanity: Warframe may have some grinding to it, but it's not nearly as bad as people want to make it out to be. Research does wonders, and it's one of the things I'm loving about the game. They don't give out the drop rates and everything, so it's an entire community actually doing research to learn about the game. Are the scarves a little ridiculous? Sure. Are there hotfixes that need to be done? Yeah. However, the game is in open beta, and each thing they add in terms of content is a way to try and make it far more fully featured by the time the game "officially launches."

Let's be real, though: with the nature of most online PC games at this point, everything is a beta. Why? Because it allows developers to experiment with stuff far more in order to fine tune their game to what the audience wants. The only downside is that...along the lines, there are some developers that lose sight of what their game was in their original vision because they are catering too much to a bunch of people throwing money at them.

With that said, I enjoy Warframe, but I also see your side and understand it. To each their own.

Now, with the Deep Down comments:

1. WHAT IS THIS GAME?! A PS4 exclusive fantasy RPG that is free-to-play set in New York 2094?! If that's not Japanese enough for you, I don't know what the fuck is. I cannot wait to see how it turns out.

2. People bitch too much about free-to-play.

I like Warframe, but I tend to disagree. Some of the mechanics in that game revolving around drop rates and building are downright bad and only exist to propagate the sale of platinum. I mean three entire days to craft a frame, after you've spent contless hours acquiring each blueprint, the necessary materials to build it and on then spent 12 hours each for every component? It's an unnecessary and artificial time wall designed only to get people to rush the order for plat. There is no way I will buy any sort of explanation about not making it too easy to craft all the frames at once etc etc. I once did 35 consecutive runs on a boss to get a blueprint drop - and the boss didn't drop ANY blueprints for those 35 runs. People say "well everyone goes through that with some frame" and to that I say "well thats bad game design." There are also a lot of small issues that have existed for a while now, but in each major update they concentrate on adding more "things" players can buy rather than fixing the janky platforming, modding tweaks, drop rates, netcode, control issues. They've gone through several menu iterations so far and still haven't implemented controller support for navigation in any of them - and this is a game being advertised as a PS4 title.

I mean don't get me wrong, it sounds like I'm really harping on it but I think it's a really interesting game. It's just the little things, that are mostly all related to it being a free to play game, that bother me in the end.