This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3430 posts) -

I was going to add some meat to Mini Map today and while researching saw that Radar is a separate concept. It can function somewhat differently from a mini map, but there's so much cross-over between the two. Ultimately Radar is a type of mini map.

What do you all think?

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

Radars usually are for showing enemies proximity while mini maps are for navigation. Enemies can be on a map but a radar doesn't HAVE to have a map. I think they are different enough

#3 Edited by believer258 (11999 posts) -

Not at all. Open world games generally have a mini-map somewhere in them that does not tell the location of enemies or friendly AI. Sometimes the two are combined, but there are several times more examples of separated mini-maps and radars than necessary to justify two separate pages.

#4 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

Radar and mini-map are different enough to warrant their own respective concept pages.

#5 Posted by Renahzor (994 posts) -

You may have a mini map without radar functionality, and of course a radar with no mini map. The only time these things are the same is when radar is overlayed on top of a mini map for more functionality and to save screen space.

#6 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (736 posts) -

Would you incorporate motion trackers into it?

I would consider motion trackers, radars and mini-maps entirely separate things.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

Radar and mini-map are different enough to warrant their own respective concept pages.

Exactly. You can have radar without a mini-map (Mystic Ark) and a mini-map without radar (the first Persona game).

#8 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

A radar and mini-map are not one in the same.

#9 Posted by JasonR86 (9742 posts) -

No. Those are two distinct things with different functions. One describes the movement of objects. One is a map.

#10 Posted by Marino (4736 posts) -

They're different.

Staff