Combine: Survival Mode and Horde Mode

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MikeGosot

There's really no difference, other than the name, so Horde Mode should be an alias for Survival Mode. Even the wiki descriptions are pretty much the same: 

Survival Mode: "Some games force you to try and survive as long as possible without losing, or tasks you with surviving a certain number of "waves" of enemies before granting you victory."
Horde Mode: " "Horde" is a type of multiplayer game mode in which players battle co-operatively against increasingly difficult waves of computer-controlled enemies."

So, why not merge them? Horde is a little variation of the survival concept, at most.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Akyho

Survival mode can mean many different things. It simply isnt "Wave" based game play.

Survival can mean one life to complete the entire game, It can mean 1 life against many enemies for infinite E.G Fighting games. Survival can simply be the game is stacked against you and have to survive.

However the main thing that ties them all together is the use Survival.

Horde is very simply: Hordes are attacking in waves while you are stationed in a fixed point. Either for a set amount of waves or for infinite.

If anything complain that "Wave based survival mode." should be merged with Horde.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

There are different types of survival mode, not just horde. They're both val8d.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Dagbiker

I take Issue with both the descriptions because one is just describing gaming in general, and the other is just wrong.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikeGosot
@Akyho said:

Survival mode can mean many different things. It simply isnt "Wave" based game play.

Survival can mean one life to complete the entire game, It can mean 1 life against many enemies for infinite E.G Fighting games. Survival can simply be the game is stacked against you and have to survive.

Horde is very simply: Hordes are attacking in waves while you are stationed in a fixed point. Either for a set amount of waves or for infinite.

I see, guess i got confused by the wiki descriptions. I'll research a little more next time, my bad.

EDIT: Still, isn't Horde a type of Survival Mode? Shouldn't this be included in the wiki page?
DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By DeF

@MikeGosot said:

@Akyho said:

I see, guess i got confused by the wiki descriptions. I'll research a little more next time, my bad. EDIT: Still, isn't Horde a type of Survival Mode? Shouldn't this be included in the wiki page?

I say there should be a general concept for survival modes - be they endless survive as long as you can challenges or the popular "horde mode" variant with its upgrades and waves. The different types should be described and categorized on the wiki page and the specific modes explained on each game's own page.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MikeGosot
@DeF said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Akyho said:

I see, guess i got confused by the wiki descriptions. I'll research a little more next time, my bad. EDIT: Still, isn't Horde a type of Survival Mode? Shouldn't this be included in the wiki page?

I say there should be a general concept for survival modes - be they endless survive as long as you can challenges or the popular "horde mode" variant with its upgrades and waves. The different types should be described and categorized on the wiki page and the specific modes explained on each game's own page.

The Horde Mode page was explaining specific modes. So, using the survival mode to explain just general variants is great and much less work to do.
bundle85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#8  Edited By bundle85

@MikeGosot: I concur that these should be combined into survival mode, with horde mode being a topic explained within

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By sodacat

Dead Rising's survival mode seems vastly different from CoD Zombies' Horde Mode to me.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think they are different, if they aren't explained well enough in the Wiki. For example, just about all Fighting games have "Survival" modes... and those certainly aren't horde modes. The essence of the idea is the same but they turn out way different.