Combine: Zelda, Tetra, Sheik

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Praxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Praxis

Since separate pages for character alter egos were nixed a while ago by the staff, thesethreepages should be rolled together.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Sheik should definitely be combined, but I'm not so sure about Tetra. Isn't she treated as a separate enough character to deserve her own page? Hell, for a lot of the story, we don't even know she's Zelda, and she really doesn't behave as such.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Karl_Boss

I'm pretty sure this was discussed a long time ago and it was decided the pages should be kept separate.....I think one of the reasons given was that Shiek is her own character in the Super Smash Bros. series with separate characteristics and her own move set.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

I'm pretty sure this was discussed a long time ago and it was decided the pages should be kept separate.....I think one of the reasons given was that Shiek is her own character in the Super Smash Bros. series with separate characteristics and her own move set.

I'm sure this was also brought up before but they're one character, you switch between them using a special move. This would mean that Zero Suit Samus deserves her own page for the exact same reasoning, but that's just listed as an alias of Samus (and rightly so.)

@Video_Game_King said:

Sheik should definitely be combined, but I'm not so sure about Tetra. Isn't she treated as a separate enough character to deserve her own page? Hell, for a lot of the story, we don't even know she's Zelda, and she really doesn't behave as such.

I think Tetra is revealed as a descendant of Zelda from a long time ago prior to the world flooding. So I would assume that she does deserve her own page, but then this could open the door to every individual Zelda having their own page based upon that Zelda timeline which, real or not, lists every single instance. I think it would be a nightmare and redundant to list them all separately. Likewise this would also mean separate pages for every Link, every instance of Ganon... it's just not practical in my opinion.

Conclusion: I think it should be a single page for each character and detailed instances of individual appearances in the games. In my opinion.

Also, as seen in this video, Sheik and Zelda are clearly the same person; the language spoken by both (albeit not voiced at all) carries the same tone and weight (you might want to mute this.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I disagree, Tetra is a maybe but Sheik should definitely be her own page.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By TobbRobb

You could probably involve sheik in the same page as Zelda. But I think Tetra is different enough to have her own.

Praxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Praxis

@Video_Game_King: It's spelled out pretty early on by Ganon that Tetra = Zelda, so even though she might not know it, the player does. Sure, she doesn't act like "archetypal" Zelda, but she fits into the Link-Zelda-Ganon trinity in the same way that all other Zeldas do.

@Guided_By_Tigers: Like dekkadekkadekka said, you can only access Sheik by first selecting Zelda and then transforming into him/her once the match starts, so this justification doesn't really hold up.

@dekkadekkadekka: I'm not really worried that these pages will open the floodgates for more Zelda, Link, and Ganon pages, though I do agree with you that technical accuracy shouldn't trump basic usability. The Tetra and Sheik personas exist mostly to lend the Zeldas of their respective games a different flavor, and there's nothing about them that can't be summed up within the confines of the Zelda page.

@Irvandus: Care to elaborate?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Praxis:

What about in Phantom Hourglass, though? Her Zelda-ness doesn't even come up there; she's Tetra, and nobody else, at least in that context. Also, Tetra's Trackers.

Praxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Praxis

@Video_Game_King: I guess I don't see this as contradictory to my request. If Nintendo had created a side story game about the exploits of Sheik, that wouldn't negate the fact that Sheik is Zelda.

otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By otzlowe

I think Sheik and Zelda should be combined, but I feel like Tetra has a decent reason to be listed separately. Even though it sort of introduces the concepts of iterations of Link, Zelda and Ganon(dorf), Tetra is separate from Zelda in WW for a larger part of the game and almost entirely in Phantom Hourglass.

I think Tetra has been featured enough as her own persona for it to be justifiable, wheras Sheik was clearly only an alias (even if Tetra is an alias of Zelda as well). If Sheik ever gets a game where "he" is prominently featured as just Sheik, I'd say the same of "him" at that point as well.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Praxis:

But they didn't, so it's not really a relevant concern.

Praxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Praxis

@Video_Game_King: Let me rephrase that, then. Wind Waker previously established Tetra as the Princess Zelda of her particular timeline. How exactly does Phantom Hourglass throw a monkey wrench into this?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Praxis:

Because the fact that she is Zelda is never relevant to that game. In that context, she is only Tetra, so it wouldn't make sense to say that Zelda appeared in Phantom Hourglass.

dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@Video_Game_King said:

@Praxis:

Because the fact that she is Zelda is never relevant to that game. In that context, she is only Tetra, so it wouldn't make sense to say that Zelda appeared in Phantom Hourglass.

But she is called that by the pirates, and she chides them for calling her that:

"I told you not to call me Zelda! Tetra worked just fine before, you know."

Source: http://www.zeldawiki.org/Tetra#cite_note-23 So it would appear to be clear that she acknowledges that she is Zelda, but prefers Tetra.

Praxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Praxis

@Video_Game_King: The fact that she is Zelda may or may not be relevant to that particular game, but it is still a fact. By having two separate pages, we are implying that Zelda and Tetra are two different people, which is not the case.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Superkenon

I'm kinda torn on this, but I think @dekkadekkadekka's point is a good one. If Tetra has her own page because she's 'a separate character', then following that logic every incarnation should have her own page, as (almost) none of them are truly the same Zelda.

I don't believe it's too much information for one page anyway (especially as is, the three pages in question being so small they're barely worth clicking). It just looks better, and is less confusing for anyone outside the know, if all this information is consolidated into one page and explained. If we're picking and choosing which Zeldas 'deserve' their own page, then it could become messy to onlookers. Probably for the best if they're all merged. If it gets to a point where the Zelda page is somehow too big, then we can have this conversation again, heheh.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Praxis said:

By having two separate pages, we are implying that Zelda and Tetra are two different people, which is not the case.

It kind of is, though; a person can have multiple identities, you know. Besides, isn't there already some precedent for a lot of this? The Persona 4 Shadows each have their own page, despite being established as being part of the person they're shadowing, and isn't Mega Man X the same Mega Man as before? (Then again, I'm not too savvy on Mega Man canon, so it's possible that one's false.)

dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

I think the easiest solution for this issue, by far, is to create concept pages for Zelda and Link, in the same vein that Cid is both a concept and multiplecharacters. We could then keep the current pages and potentially create ones for each Zelda/Link, again, in the same way as Cid. I would be against multiple Link/Zelda pages, but fuck it, it's not my wiki.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#19  Edited By LordAndrew

Our Link and Zelda pages refer to not a single character, but multiple incarnations, descendants of the original Link and Zelda, also sharing their names. Tetra fits that description. She is referred to as Zelda. Just like all other Zeldas, she is descendant of the original Zelda, the goddess Hylia.

As for Sheik, I point to the absence of character pages for fighting game "characters" like Evil Ryu and Devil Jin. I assure you, the absence is intentional.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#20  Edited By jacksukeru

@Video_Game_King: Mega Man and Mega Man X are separate people, aside from physical differences like size and eye color, one is left handed and one is right handed, one has free will and the other doesn't. They were built by the same creator but it was never suggested that one was converted into the other.

As for this thread, I agree that the pages should be combined into one "Zelda" page, be that a character page or a concept page, with Tetra and Sheik as aliases and the possibility of having a section for each incarnation e.g. "In Wind Waker" or "In Skyward Sword". For the Smah Bros section, just bring up both Zelda & Shiek like this:

Smash Bros Section

In Melee

• Zelda Stuff
  • Sheik Stuff

In Brawl

• Zelda Stuff
  • Sheik Stuff
Praxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Praxis

@Video_Game_King: This has been said by a couple other people here in different ways, but I think it bears repeating that the character pages for Link, Zelda, and Ganon are really devoted to a procession of characters that represent particular character archetypes in the Zelda franchise. It is tempting to want to separate Tetra from the Zelda archetype because she differs from previous incarnations in some ways, but she is still an undeniable part of that lineage. Also, I'm pretty sure Mega Man X isn't the same robot :P

@dekkadekkadekka: Oh man, that's a true nightmare scenario you're describing.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Karl_Boss

@Praxis: Yeah, I don't agree with it.....I think they should be combined.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#23  Edited By Marino  Staff

@Praxis: These pages have been consolidated.