#1 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

The concept of a cheating A.I. is a bit vague, given that the A.I. is only programmed to respond to the player in certain ways in certain situations. There are also more concise, more descriptive concepts that already exist such as rubber band A.I.

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (12412 posts) -

Agreed. In fact, I was also going to post something about this. I would go as far as saying that all AI is "cheating" in some way.

#3 Posted by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -

I would agree with you if it weren't for the existence of Puzzle Quest because that game cheats like a motherfucker, and not in a rubberband way

#4 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

I would agree with you if it weren't for the existence of Puzzle Quest because that game cheats like a motherfucker, and not in a rubberband way

But it is only following its programming, which (as someone that has also played Puzzle Quest, so I know what you're talking about) was designed to really stack the deck against the player. It's not really "cheating" though. Cheating would indicate that the game is blatantly breaking rules to gain an advantage.

#5 Posted by BeachThunder (12412 posts) -

Well, the creator has said multiple times that it doesn't. And I have to say that it seems more likely than not that he's telling the truth; people very often conflate bad luck due to random chance and 'cheating AI'.

#6 Posted by RazielCuts (2987 posts) -

Maybe change the wording of it to 'Unfair' or 'Unbalanced' AI? Because rubber banding isn't always a negative, you don't want to be out in first place (although maybe more realistic) and never see another opponent for the rest of the race, you've lost the challenge there and that just makes for a boring game.

I feel like Poker Night at the Inventory does the unbalanced AI trick quite a bit too, the AI will call with nothing and then get 'lucky' on the Turn and River. I guess it probably doesn't help the concept page when no games are actually attached to it.

#7 Posted by AlexW00d (6435 posts) -

Cheating AI is when the bots in Dota know exactly when to pop dust or move out of the way of Mirana's arrows. WHY DO I EVEN PLAY AGAINST BOTS ANYMORE.

#8 Posted by Marino (4763 posts) -

It probably could use a name change. The example I can think of is something like Guile being able to throw a Sonic Boom while still walking towards you in Street Fighter II. The player can't do that move without holding back.

Staff
#9 Posted by BeachThunder (12412 posts) -

@marino: Okay, that is definitely a good example. I suppose if we're just referring to bots, then we could talk about AI that can do things beyond what a human player could ever do.

Now that I'm thinking of stuff, the AI in worms is pretty funky - they can land grenades or bazooka shots directly on top of you from the the other side of the map.