#1  Edited By sdornan
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

Doom: Collector's Edition takes three games (the most recent of which was five years old at the time), makes them run on Windows, and compiles them into a single package. Compilations are handled on a case-by-case basis, and I think I read that this kind of compilation is acceptable.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By tmthomsen

It's still the same old unaltered games though. Just because it now runs on another OS, it should not qualify for a new release.

You can make the old DOS versions run on new operating systems anyway with DOSbox.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew
@TMThomsen said:

" It's still the same old unaltered games though. Just because it now runs on another OS, it should not qualify for a new release."

Appearing on a different platform is exactly what it takes for a compilation to be allowed. The PC is essentially two platforms, DOS and Windows. But Giant Bomb considers it all as one single platform. As Joseppie said "The PC is a little dicey because the platform has always been around and probably always will."
Although now that I'm looking at the month-old post I based my comment on, I think that I may have slightly misunderstood what exactly Joseppie was actually saying...

@Joseppie said:

" Ok, just to clear up some confusion. Compilations are really meant for games such as Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, bringing together games that were not previously on that platform. Gold, GOTY, and Collector editions do not get their own game pages, rather they are added as releases. Collections like the Warcraft III or World of Warcraft Battlechests also do not get their own game pages. They also are added as releases. "

@StarFoxA said:

" @Joseppie: What about games like Command & Conquer: The First Decade, which brings games that came out several years ago (but all on the same platform)? "

@Joseppie said:

" @StarFoxA: While I hate to make exceptions to the rule, cases like that seem to fit the bill. The PC is a little dicey because the platform has always been around and probably always will. C&C: The First Decade differs because it is not simply the release of a game packed with all its expansion packs. It is the release of about 5 games (all from different franchises within the C&C universe) packed together with their respective expansion packs. So, yes, that is a special case that goes against the rule of thumb. "

Looking at it now, I'm not sure if it really applies to this situation after all. But that's why I said "I think this kind of compilation is acceptable". My memory wasn't good enough to remember exactly what was said.
sdornan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By sdornan