This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Bundle85 (149 posts) -

http://www.giantbomb.com/drm-free/92-6354/

Besides having a hilariously tacky image, this page's purpose is list games that do not contain digital rights management. We already have a page for listing games containing digital rights management, so why would we need another page to list the games that do not fall under the DRM page? http://www.giantbomb.com/digital-rights-management/92-1704/

#2 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

By that logic, why have "female" when you have "male". Clearly anything that doesn't fall in the latter is in the former.

Why have various species pages when you have "human"? Anything that isn't on the human page is clearly either a talking animal or an alien.

#3 Posted by NuclearWinter (750 posts) -

DRM is something that a lot of people feel strongly about, I think having a page that lists DRM free games is valuable. If I want to find some DRM Free games, having to hit the DRM page and look for games not on the list wouldn't be particularly helpful.

#4 Posted by Rafaelfc (1324 posts) -

Damn, when I saw the topic title I though we reached the utopian future of not having DRM anymore...

#5 Posted by Marino (4640 posts) -

@Bundle85: I'm not entirely sure the page should stay or not, but I did update the default image.

Staff
#6 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

DRM free is the default. A game is DRM free unless DRM is added. There's no need for a concept representing the default state.

#7 Posted by ZombiePie (5629 posts) -

I'm not entirely on board with this concept. Steam for example is a form of DRM, and the same can be said for XBLA and PSN games. With this concept you could essentially add numerous PC games prior to the 1990s to this page.

#8 Posted by StarFoxA (5143 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

By that logic, why have "female" when you have "male". Clearly anything that doesn't fall in the latter is in the former.

Why have various species pages when you have "human"? Anything that isn't on the human page is clearly either a talking animal or an alien.

That's different though. That's one or the other, whereas a game doesn't have DRM until it's added.

#9 Edited by NuclearWinter (750 posts) -

I still think a list of DRM free games (though probably with restrictions on what's included) could be a valuable resource. Just look at how many kickstarter games advertise it as a feature these days, and how reluctant a lot of people are to back projects where that isn't made clear.

Having said that, I do see LordAndrew's point and wouldn't be opposed to it going.

#10 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -

@LordAndrew said:

DRM free is the default. A game is DRM free unless DRM is added. There's no need for a concept representing the default state.

This gets my vote.

#11 Edited by NuclearWinter (750 posts) -

Since the consensus is that the page is not needed (and the fact it's only had 28 games added in the years the page has existed suggests it can't be that useful), I have gone ahead and marked it for deletion.