This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by crankystorming (8 posts) -

The concept 60 FPS on Consoles contains 48 images which are screenshots from shooter games. There is no way of telling what they have to do with those games being 60fps, nor do they demonstrate 60fps in any way. I just don't see the relevance.

#2 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

History

Prior to the use of CD drives in game consoles nearly all games ran at a solid 60 or 58.9 frames per second. It was only with the introduction of video and complex polygon objects that game performance had to take a hit to work on the hardware.

Ummmm, who wrote this? Somebody who's never played video games before the PlayStation apparently. Unless I'm imagining things, I don't think most game ever ran at a solid 60 on consoles.

#3 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

@jams said:

History

Prior to the use of CD drives in game consoles nearly all games ran at a solid 60 or 58.9 frames per second. It was only with the introduction of video and complex polygon objects that game performance had to take a hit to work on the hardware.

Ummmm, who wrote this? Somebody who's never played video games before the PlayStation apparently. Unless I'm imagining things, I don't think most game ever ran at a solid 60 on consoles.

Yeah that doesn't sound right at all.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@jams said:

History

Actually, I think they did, at least in NTSC regions. Frame rate or refresh rate or something was tied to the electric current, meaning NTSC got 60 FPS and PAL got 50 FPS. I'm pretty sure you can see it in action between these two videos.

The information's correct, even if the terminology is way off.

#5 Edited by DeF (4887 posts) -

@jams said:

History

Actually, I think they did, at least in NTSC regions. Frame rate or refresh rate or something was tied to the electric current, meaning NTSC got 60 FPS and PAL got 50 FPS. I'm pretty sure you can see it in action between these two videos.

The information's correct, even if the terminology is way off.

NTSC has a 60Hz signal while PAL has a 50Hz signal, yes. But that still needs to be rewritten. Saying "solid 60" basically ignores all the slowdown from older games. Or every single game ever released in PAL territories for that matter. GB being US-centric shouldn't lead to wiki information completely disregarding the outside world.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@def:

It already seems to be in there, so that section just needs to be deleted.

#7 Edited by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Also this sentence should be rewritten, because it is untrue. "Almost all video games operate on the principle of redrawing the screen in quick succession in order for the viewer to have a sense of motion"

Plenty of games never do this, such as text based games, modern text based games, or even minesweeper.